*** COWBOYS 2016 Season ***

280,315 Views | 3441 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ag Natural
TyHolden
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Seattle hasn't been healthy until now. Losing Thomas is huge but they're gonna be a tough out. Rawls >>>>> anybody they've had until now
Grapesoda2525
I don't want the team to go 15-1. I just want the #1 overall seed. Going into the playoffs with an extremely long winning streak could be a bad thing. The media would talk about it non stop and it would put more pressure on the team to succeed. In addition, if the Cowboys are 15-1 and go one and done in the playoffs, all of the sports talk shows would talk about it for a month. Hopefully they lose the philly game
jtstanley4621
AG
I think it's also worth noting that the Panthers didn't have Kuechly, and that defense/team is not at all what it was last season. Their offensive line is basically completely patchwork. And Seattle lost and didn't look great against the Bucs. I think them being at home was a pretty big deal too.

That being said, Seattle in my mind is clearly our biggest competition looking towards the postseason. I think they have Minnesota's defense but a much much better offense. Wouldn't be hard to imagine Wilson shredding our defense. Potentially not having to go to Seattle to play that would be very nice.
Ag Natural
AG
grapespda2525 said:

I don't want the team to go 15-1. I just want the #1 overall seed. Going into the playoffs with an extremely long winning streak could be a bad thing. The media would talk about it non stop and it would put more pressure on the team to succeed. In addition, if the Cowboys are 15-1 and go one and done in the playoffs, all of the sports talk shows would talk about it for a month. Hopefully they lose the philly game

I'd just go with winning every game. Nobody in the media is proclaiming this team to be unbeatable. I'm pretty sure most would still take Seattle or New England over them... so why lose?
jr15aggie
AG
Keep in mind we almost beat Seattle last year and we did beat them in 2014. We are a bad matchup for them with our O-line and clock killing run game.

Dallas is the team nobody wants to face in the playoffs, not the other way around. Bring 'em all on!
Agnzona
Cutting Zekes carries and letting Romo play the 4th qtr is fine. But do not do the sit everyone for a game or two thing.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Right now THE most important guy to keep healthy is Sean Lee. If you lose him then your defense isn't going to get any stops at all. If you get the win vs NYG then his reps really need to be managed going forward. Maybe 3rd downs only in the 1st half while taking most of 2nd half off or something.
Sea Gull
AG
I disagree with resting folks. That will get you into trouble. Keep the foot on the pedal. If someone gets hurt, that's just the game. Resting guys can have negative consequences.
jr15aggie
AG
I won't get into my opinion on who/what/how, etc. on resting folks... coaches gonna do what they do. But I will agree with Orlando... our defense is screwed without Sean Lee. We survived without Mo & Church for a month, but I'm pretty sure the whole thing unravels without Sean.

Our ability to make a Super Bowl is very possibly linked to the health of our defense. We need to have one of those lucky years where every single one of our key defensive guys is 100% all the way through the playoffs.

The key word there is luck... can't second guess any decisions the coaches make to rest or not rest guys. We simply need to get lucky with good health on defense!
PooDoo
AG
Romo isn't a garbage time back up. That will end his career.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Duck Patrol said:

I disagree with resting folks. That will get you into trouble. Keep the foot on the pedal. If someone gets hurt, that's just the game. Resting guys can have negative consequences.

To be clear i dont mean have Lee take entire games off. I mean seriously limit his snaps and exposure to injury. Dress him...start him...but have a strategy to limit him too.
Sea Gull
AG
Fair enough.
Macarthur
Agree w all the sentiment that you keep your foot in the gas.

One thing I wouldn't mind seeing is romo get maybe a full half in one of these last two games.
jr15aggie
AG
The Romo thing is tricky for so many reasons. Just one hypothetical is... what if he plays for a half and scores 28 points!

But yeah, I don't want his last snap as a Cowboy to be laying on the ground. I want to see him play and part of me thinks they NEED to see him play before the playoffs. And not just garbage time "hand off time". I want to see him running with the ones and running the full offense. But part of me believes that's not gonna happen. Dak will play every meaningful snap and if the game turns into garbage time he'll stay in and hand the ball off to Alfred Morris.
Rudyjax
AG
Agreed. Every rep is valuable.
Agnzona
Romo definitely needs some action before the playoffs. What if you actually need him?
bonfarr
AG
PooDoo said:

Even with the first team offensive line? He wants to play next season I imagine he wants an opportunity to show other franchises that he still can.
BassCowboy33
bonfarr said:

PooDoo said:

Even with the first team offensive line? He wants to play next season I imagine he wants an opportunity to show other franchises that he still can.

It is not the Cowboys' job to make sure Romo plays this seaso or next. Their job is to win games in any way necessary. If the opportunity presents itself for Romo to see small amounts of action, then go ahead; but don't go out trying to find a way to get Romo playing time.
DannyDuberstein
AG
They've lessened Zeke's workload some already. He had a few monster 28-30 carry games in the first couple of months, but they seem to have mostly settled in close to 20 for the past 4-6 games. As far as resting him goes, once you've got homefield locked, I wouldn't back off all that much more. Maybe keep him in the 15+ range.
Ag Natural
AG
Sean Lee has 112 tackles after 12 games. The next highest is 63 (Byron Jones). He's having a great year.
TyHolden
AG
you play romo some so that you can trade him at the end of the season. cleveland will take his salary and throw in 3 or 4 firsts depending on whether bo calahan is available or not. it's a win-win.
Rudyjax
AG
DSAg44 said:

you play romo some so that you can trade him at the end of the season. cleveland will take his salary and throw in 3 or 4 firsts depending on whether bo calahan is available or not. it's a win-win.

Romo retires before he goes to Cleveland.

jtstanley4621
AG
Unthought Known said:

DSAg44 said:

Jerry wouldn't do that to him. QB purgatory. romo hasn't done anything to deserve that
Rudyjax
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

Unthought Known said:

DSAg44 said:

Jerry wouldn't do that to him. QB purgatory. romo hasn't done anything to deserve that
Which was my first thought, but that doesn't matter because even if Jerry did that to him, he wouldn't go.
Ag Natural
AG
I doubt the Brown would do it seeing as how they are in rebuilding mode (as usual). But if they did put together a nice offer and IF they had a serviceable team on paper... I could see the Cowboys doing it and Romo taking it on as a challenge. This is the NFL where a new QB can turn a last place team into a first place team over night.

I think other teams make more sense for sure.
jr15aggie
AG
Gotta think Denver is gonna come up short of repeating this year with very sketchy QB play. They will be picking late in the 1st round next year regardless... I would love it if they would offer that pick for Romo. Seems possible because on the flip side Romo would no doubt agree to redo his contract for his shot with a team like Denver.

Could be the best Win/Win situation out there.
TexasAggiesWin
S
ce1994 said:

It is impossible to have an intelligent conversation with some of you guys. But it is the internet so oh well.

1) If the Cowboys go into the season with Prescott as the back up quarterback they will regret it if Romo gets hurt. Of course the batch of proven veterans they had last year made me want to pull my eyes out. But Orton was the prototype back-up. He knows he can't start but is more than capable if called upon. Precott, if thrown into the fire this year, will wilt. That was obvious in my post but it confused people that only read from their phone. Go to a library sometime and expand your mind.
2) Now to the post about McFadden. The Cowboys drafted a running back with the 4th pick. A running back. Needs all up and down the roster and they drafted a running back. You can pick up a capable running back at a weekend garage sale. So keeping McFadden, who if healthy is a good back, is better than drafting Elliot with the 4th pick in the draft. The Cowboys have no pass rush. A quarterback could drink an entire beer in the pocket before the Cowboys get to him. And yet they drafted a running back. What value is a running back? Not the 4th pick in the draft value. But that is where the Cowboys drafted him. Now, say it was later in the first round then by all means. But not with the 4th pick in the draft. Am I wrong? Murray was a 3rd round choice out of Oklahoma and when the Cowboy were done with him the Eagles went full ****** and paid him an outrageous sum of money. And McFadden and Murray were every bit as good as Elliot coming out of college.

Is McFadden, with the mileage he has on his body, better than Elliot straight up? Probably not. But where the Cowboys drafted Elliot hell yes he is better. Tons better.

But all of this is moot. If Romo gets hurt then we can waste another high draft choice next year. Maybe Jones will go full ****** and draft a punter with a top five pick.

DannyDuberstein
AG
A missed prediction is one thing and something we all do. But a missed prediction that was started off with...

Quote:

It is impossible to have an intelligent conversation with some of you guys. But it is the internet so oh well.
is ****ing hilarious.
Rudyjax
AG
toucan82 said:

14-2

Mark it down
Pretty ballsy and almost accurate.
Rudyjax
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Quote:

Three things from Saturday:

- Dak and Jameil both looked good...helps make watching a preseason game much less of a beating.

- Chaz - still some time but based on what we saw Saturday there's a pretty good chance he's another wasted top 100 pick.

- Nzeocha - or however you spell it...he didn't look awful. Might be some much needed LB depth.

hate to sound like a Cowboys snob but i really to detest some other Cowboys fans. i've seen so much talk on social media today from dumbasses who are already wanting to dump Romo for Dak.
Rudyjax
AG
jr15aggie said:

Quote:

If and when Romo gets hurt and Precott is sent out there I want this thing bumped. It will be mass suicide for Cowboys fans and I just wanted to say "I told you so".

Rudyjax
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

Quote:

I did find a post that should negate any Romo/Prescott predictions.

Yes, I do. I think McFadden is better than Elliot. I think you can get three more years out of McFadden.

EDIT: The search sent me down the rabbit hole on the Offseason Thread...
Bass posted about Prescott getting arrested for DUI and Duberstein knocked it out of the park with this
Quote:

Knowing Jerry, it will just mean he'll hope to get him in the 5th vs the 3rd.

Definitely worth the risk in the 4th round. I'm finding that I'm having to temper myself a bit, but it was a great debut. If Prescott theoretically pans out, that would be Dallas going two straight franchise QBs where neither was taken in the first 40 picks. I'm not sure if there would be another example in NFL history of such a feat. Probably could use it as proof of the existence of God or the like.
This guys seems to know his sheet..
Rudyjax
AG
Dan 07 said:

Don't forget that McFadden is better than Zeke
bonfarr
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

bonfarr said:

PooDoo said:

It is not the Cowboys' job to make sure Romo plays this seaso or next. Their job is to win games in any way necessary. If the opportunity presents itself for Romo to see small amounts of action, then go ahead; but don't go out trying to find a way to get Romo playing time.

I agree the Cowboys don't owe Romo an opportunity to market himself. My response was to his comment that playing in the second half of a big win would end Romo's career.
BassCowboy33
Unthought Known said:

BassCowboy33 said:

Quote:

I did find a post that should negate any Romo/Prescott predictions.

Yes, I do. I think McFadden is better than Elliot. I think you can get three more years out of McFadden.

EDIT: The search sent me down the rabbit hole on the Offseason Thread...
Bass posted about Prescott getting arrested for DUI and Duberstein knocked it out of the park with this
Quote:

Knowing Jerry, it will just mean he'll hope to get him in the 5th vs the 3rd.

Definitely worth the risk in the 4th round. I'm finding that I'm having to temper myself a bit, but it was a great debut. If Prescott theoretically pans out, that would be Dallas going two straight franchise QBs where neither was taken in the first 40 picks. I'm not sure if there would be another example in NFL history of such a feat. Probably could use it as proof of the existence of God or the like.
This guys seems to know his sheet..

It's fun to point fingers and say, "I told you so" and junk, but at its most basic, it's an educated guessing game where you connect dots that may or may not be there. Sometimes I'm right, sometimes I'm wrong. None of us know anything for sure. With everything we heard about in camp--struggling under center, poor footwork--I wasn't expecting much. What was so striking about that first preseason game was the pocket presence. It's something that is rarely ever talked about on message boards. Dak stood there like an effing rock. He moved effortlessly in the pocket when he needed, and he didn't do what most young QBs do: bail to the outside.

If you want a great example of being wrong, I was way down about LT coming out of TCU. Despite the gaudy stats, I was very suspicious about his competition and thought he'd bust like Carter or Salaam.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.