*** COWBOYS 2016 Season ***

280,309 Views | 3441 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ag Natural
TMACsDaMan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Would you sign Demarcus Ware in FA after this season? This team is like the 91 Cowboys, everything but the pass rush. Where is the modern day Charles Haley?
jr15aggie
AG
TMACsDaMan said:

Would you sign Demarcus Ware in FA after this season? This team is like the 91 Cowboys, everything but the pass rush. Where is the modern day Charles Haley?

I would love to see D Ware back here to finish up his career. He would have to sign a very cap friendly deal, but he would be a rotational guy playing on passing downs.

The draft is also gonna have lots of DE talent this year so we should be able to improve here one way or another.
BassCowboy33
jr15aggie said:

TMACsDaMan said:

I would love to see D Ware back here to finish up his career. He would have to sign a very cap friendly deal, but he would be a rotational guy playing on passing downs.

The draft is also gonna have lots of DE talent this year so we should be able to improve here one way or another.

He's also not quite the player he once was.
BassCowboy33
Ag Natural said:

Reginald Cousins said:

Ag Natural said:

Yep, it's even more similar to Brady taking over for Bledsoe. Eerily similar.

Long time cornerstone QB gets hurt and loses his job to a young QB who nobody expected to be anything special. Brady and Dak also both had long college careers filled with success but were under appreciated by NFL scouts.

Um. Didn't Brady sit the bench behind one of our flops at QB in college? He wasn't just a baller like Dak.

Brady sat behind Griese for two years and won a MNC in one. Then he battled Henson for the job and ended up starting 25 games. Went 20-5 and won two bowl games. That's a better winning percentage than Dak albeit probably on better teams.

My most vivid memory of Brady in college was him being absolutely terrible in a loss to Illinois. I think that Illinois team had Kurt Kittner who dominated the day. I watched over a dozen Brady/Henson games at Michigan and I was completely underwhelmed. He was inaccurate, immobile, and was erratic on deeper throws. I keep reading that he would've been a 3rd pick if not for injury, but I didn't see it at the time.

That being said, I also famously predicted in that same era that LT would be a bust in San Diego.
PatAg
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

Ag Natural said:

Reginald Cousins said:

Ag Natural said:

Long time cornerstone QB gets hurt and loses his job to a young QB who nobody expected to be anything special. Brady and Dak also both had long college careers filled with success but were under appreciated by NFL scouts.

Um. Didn't Brady sit the bench behind one of our flops at QB in college? He wasn't just a baller like Dak.

Brady sat behind Griese for two years and won a MNC in one. Then he battled Henson for the job and ended up starting 25 games. Went 20-5 and won two bowl games. That's a better winning percentage than Dak albeit probably on better teams.

My most vivid memory of Brady in college was him being absolutely terrible in a loss to Illinois. I think that Illinois team had Kurt Kittner who dominated the day. I watched over a dozen Brady/Henson games at Michigan and I was completely underwhelmed. He was inaccurate, immobile, and was erratic on deeper throws. I keep reading that he would've been a 3rd pick if not for injury, but I didn't see it at the time.

That being said, I also famously predicted in that same era that LT would be a bust in San Diego.
You remember his time differently then me.
Reginald Cousins
S
Ag Natural said:

Reginald Cousins said:

Ag Natural said:

So you admit his college career as a starter was not long i.e., like Dak's.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.
Reginald Cousins
S
BassCowboy33 said:

Ag Natural said:

Reginald Cousins said:

Ag Natural said:

I remember him being underwhelming as well.

Hard to argue what he's done in the league though.

Would have loved to see him get a shot outside of Belichick. Wanna know if it's all Brady or not.

They have won with 3 different quarterbacks this year.
BassCowboy33
Reginald Cousins said:

BassCowboy33 said:

Ag Natural said:

Reginald Cousins said:

Ag Natural said:

I remember him being underwhelming as well.

Hard to argue what he's done in the league though.

Would have loved to see him get a shot outside of Belichick. Wanna know if it's all Brady or not.

They have won with 3 different quarterbacks this year.

Truth. I will say I remember his last game in the Orange Bowl against Alabama (I think) where David Terrell and Shaun Alexander went crazy and the Alabama kicker missed an OT extra point to lose the game. He played well in that one.
Ag Natural
AG
Reginald Cousins said:

Ag Natural said:

Reginald Cousins said:

Ag Natural said:

So you admit his college career as a starter was not long i.e., like Dak's.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

Sure. Dak took over during his RS Soph year after the starter when down. Then, like Brady, he got two full years as a starter. Neither player was a day one starter but both ended up having great college careers. Dak's is considered better partly because he played at Miss State and now owns just about every record there.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Duck Patrol said:

BassCowboy33 said:

Duck Patrol said:

Here's a fun fact. The Ravens are the only team in the NFL that the Cowboys have never beaten. They are 0-4 against them.

Ravens are also 0-4 against teams with winning records this season. Also, if you want to take it further back, Dallas lost to Cleveland in 1994 when Novacek was stopped six inches short of the goal line as time expired. I think the final was 20-16 or something like that. Dallas did beat that team in 1990 or 1991 if my brain remembers correctly.

Edit: The score was 19-14. Here's the video of the final play.

I think they lumped the old Browns' record with the current Browns instead of leaving it with Baltimore. They used to have a monster defense at a time when the Cowboys were trotting out the Hutchinsons and Hensons. Some of those beat downs were brutal. Should be a fairly stressful Sunday, but who knows!

that was cool to see Belicek giving that big hug to Saban at the end of that video. Saban looks like a little kid.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I mainly just remember Tom Brady as a fairly typical Michigan Steady Eddie QB. They ran a classic midwest, pro style offense that didn't exactly inflate a guys' stats, so there wasn't really anything remarkable about him or his play (good or bad).
DannyDuberstein
AG
Just pulled up his college stats. So for the 2 years he spent as the primary QB, he was a 61% passer that threw for about 2300 yards (200 per game), 15 TD's, and 8 picks each year he played. So yep, basically the old Michigan Steady Eddie. Quite similar to Brian Griese and Todd Collins before him.
corleoneAg99
AG
Some Ravens injury news that might mean it's a closer game Sunday although I'm not expecting it is that Yanda is back at practice and he's a great RG so that helps; rookie Alex Lewis is out so that means John Urschel at LG and just overall the Ravens OL has been pretty bad. That's why they can't run the ball at all, basically.

On defense Jimmy Smith is not at practice and that's bad news because he's their best corner, and up and down at best when healthy, and he'd be the one covering Dez. Would have been a good bet for Dez to have a big day anyway but now he'll be covered by either Shareece Wright or Asa Jackson and both those guys are not good.

On the plus side, Doom is back at practice and looks like he could play so if the Ravens defense is going to hold up at all his contribution to the pass rush would be good. Kamelei Correa is also back at practice and could get snaps at both inside and outside LB.

Either way Cowboys are winning this game(why is the spread only 5?) but on the injury front the Ravens might have a chance to avoid getting boat raced.
jr15aggie
AG
I heard that Smith (CB) will play, but he is banged up (not sure what his injury is).

Overall I hadn't looked up Baltimore much until today... their offense is not good. #1 defense in the league, but sometimes a bad offense lends itself to a stingy defense (just like a high scoring offense typically lends itself to a defense that gives up more points).

We'll find out I guess, but Pittsburgh, especially at home playing desperate football was a much tougher test for the Cowboys. No doubt we'll have a loss or two before the season is done, but I feel pretty good about this one right now.
corleoneAg99
AG
For week 10 Ravens are 32 in offensive DVOA and 2 in defensive DVOA.

Defense has been good but is aging and gets worn out because the offense is terrible. Pretty terrible matchup when the Dallas OL can grind like they do. It might be close at half but Dallas wins by 14+ unless their defense literally doesn't show up.
PooDoo
AG
jr15aggie said:

TMACsDaMan said:

I think we are going to have to get lucky in the draft unless we can trade Romo for a pass rusher. I've seen projections where the Cowboys are already $9-12 million over the cap next year.

If they find a pass rusher as a free agent they are going to have to hit a jackpot on a bargain player with question marks.
jr15aggie
AG
IMO we don't need an elite pass rusher (we want one, sure, but it's not a must). Right now we are literally middle of the pack with 19 sacks. A couple more and we'd be top 10... a couple less and we'd be bottom 10. We are simply average.

What we need to draft is a rookie DE that is good enough to come in and start Day 1. A solid 5-10 sack guy that isn't a liability against the run.

I'm also of the opinion a dang good LB is needed just as much as a DE on this team. Maybe we already have that in Jaylon Smith?

Point is we just need to hit on a couple guys on D in next years draft. With the possibility of trading Romo for a good draft pick we might be in a good spot to do that.
jr15aggie
AG
Flacco has a 78.3 QB rating (29th in the league) and an awful 6.26 yards per attempt. (LOL no wonder Houston would want Romo, their brand new QB is dead last at 5.61 per attempt).

Just for comparison, Dak is at 106.2 and 3rd best 8.35 yards / attempt.

Their offense is no good. If we can sustain long drives early on and start wearing down their veteran (OLD) defense we could run away with this one. The more I look at this team the least impressed I am!
birdman
Cowboy defense isn't the greatest in the world, but it's better than people think. They're giving up less than 19 points per game, which puts them in top third of the NFL.
Gigem Trevas
birdman said:

Cowboy defense isn't the greatest in the world, but it's better than people think. They're giving up less than 19 points per game, which puts them in top third of the NFL.

8th which is good. They have only given up 18 more than the Vikings who have the top scoring defense.
jr15aggie
AG
Copycat league... how long before we see more teams drafting O-line 1st round in back to back years trying to copy Dallas?

FYI, Baltimore has 14 total offensive TDs this season. Dallas has scored 16 offensive TDs.... rushing!
BassCowboy33
jr15aggie said:

Copycat league... how long before we see more teams drafting O-line 1st round in back to back years trying to copy Dallas?

FYI, Baltimore has 14 total offensive TDs this season. Dallas has scored 16 offensive TDs.... rushing!

It's already started.
jr15aggie
AG
So ready for Cowboys football tomorrow! Win or lose they will entertain!

Lol... Was just making a point about win or lose... We are totally going to kick the Raven's ass!
Reginald Cousins
S
Have we covered this!?

Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Reginald Cousins said:

Have we covered this!?

yes, but i believe this is being chalked up to the usual jerry jones over optimism dynamic.
Reginald Cousins
S
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Reginald Cousins said:

Have we covered this!?

yes, but i believe this is being chalked up to the usual jerry jones over optimism dynamic.
I see no coverage - came out late 11/17.

New information, but I digress.

If the nerve is even partly firing - super huge news for the franchise whether he gets on the field or not this season. We will know by 11/22 what their plans are.
Gigem Trevas
Reginald Cousins said:

Reginald Cousins said:

Have we covered this!?

If the nerve is even partly firing - super huge news for the franchise whether he gets on the field or not this season. We will know by 11/22 what their plans are.

Reggie. This was discussed in the legends board if you would check in once in awhile.
Reginald Cousins
S
Gigem Trevas said:

Reginald Cousins said:

Reginald Cousins said:

Have we covered this!?

Reggie. This was discussed in the legends board if you would check in once in awhile.
Too much to keep up with there... Is Orlando Ayala there as well?
Gigem Trevas
Reginald Cousins said:

Gigem Trevas said:

Reginald Cousins said:

Reginald Cousins said:

Have we covered this!?

Too much to keep up with there... Is Orlando Ayala there as well?

No. I was talking about it and Brewer and Stx didn't even know who Jaylon Smith was.
Grapesoda2525
Ugh I hate it when I hear the NFL referred to as a "copycat" league almost as much as I hate hearing the NBA called a make or miss league. I just think they both sound dumb.
BassCowboy33
ESPN reporting that McClain failed another drug test. Suspended for a year.
BassCowboy33
Reginald Cousins said:

Have we covered this!?

. So, at least we know that he won't be ready.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

Mclain must have pics of Jerry or something
jr15aggie
AG

BassCowboy33 said:

Mclain must have pics of Jerry or something

He hasn't had a locker all year (Gregory did for comparison). The only Dallas connection is that they have his rights and he isn't officially retired. That dude will never play in the NFL again.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

and

1!!!!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.