*** COWBOYS 2016 Season ***

280,374 Views | 3441 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ag Natural
Ag Natural
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I'm not sure where Romo is on his rehab but its not hard to imagine a very awkward situation looming. The Cowboys may have stumbled onto the greatest asset an NFL team can possess. A good, competent, cheap QB on a rookie contract. Every other NFL team is spending a large amount of its cap space on a QB, this obviously gives the Cowboys a significant advantage. The problem... Tony Romo is under contract during most of Dak's rookie contract. So the Cowboys don't get to reap any of the rewards if Tony Romo stays on the roster.

The rewards are pretty massive I think. I've read that cutting Romo this offseason would be a 19.6M hit to the cap over two years. If they keep Romo for two more years then they would spend 49.8M. That is a 30M difference over two years. Imagine drafting defense heavy in the 2017 draft (plus Jaylon Smith return) plus having an additional 30M to spend on defensive help over the next two seasons. That transforms the entire team into a legit title threat in short order.

It all comes down to how Dak plays the next 6 games. If he continues to play with poise and shows upside the Cowboys could start 5-3 in spite of their defense. Could Jones and Garrett really stunt the development of their greatest asset in favor of a QB who hasn't played since 2014? Could Jones really pull the trigger and cut Romo in the offseason? If what we are seeing from Dak is not real or sustainable then it won't be a difficult decision. But I'm starting to believe.
It was pretty astounding when they said during the broadcast that the Cowboys Total cap hit from the DLine this year is under $10million.
jtstanley4621
AG
Not even an exaggeration, I would be totally fine if the Cowboys spend every pick they had this year until about the 6th round of defense.

Although the defense stepped up a bit yesterday, if Cousins had been accurate he may have thrown for close to 500 yards. The redskins also bailed us out with a few terrible fade routes on the goal line. Had they just ran the ball, I'm fairly sure that they would have scored TDs. The pass rush was generally non-existent for a stretches of the game, and a good NFL QB will absolutely shred you if you can't get to him up front.

That being said, Dak has pretty much not stopped impressing in every aspect of his game. He's actually getting though his reads well, he's been accurate, and he's not shied away from pressure. Even was able to find Dez more. I've been really pleased with what he's shown so far. My biggest complaint is I guess him sometimes holding on to the ball a little bit too long, but even then he's not taking really bad sacks or anything. I think Zeke.... will get better. There is a certain rhythm to running behind the blocking scheme we use. You've gotta have a little bit of patience, and I think that will come with him with experience. He didn't get that much practice time in the offseason because of his hamstring. I think he'll get better as the year goes on. The fumbles were fairly concerning though, and that needs to be addressed.

Overall I still don't feel all too great about the outlook for this season. The team is set up to where the offense needs to be damn near perfect on every drive to have a shot at winning comfortable. And that will backfire eventually.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Very encouraged by Dak. Going back to the two keys that Romo said for a player to be a very good NFL QB:

1) Be able to make the reads
2) Be able to maneuver under pressure to buy time. This doesn't just mean be mobile, but knowing how to feel the pressure and where/how to move to avoid it (Brady does this well with little physical mobility).

Looking like Dak is very capable at both.
ce1994
AG
I hope I do not jinx this but as it stands now I could not have been more wrong about Dak Prescott.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
I hope I do not jinx this but as it stands now I could not have been more wrong about Dak Prescott.
Pretty sure we all fit into that category. A couple months ago, based on the early reports I heard coming out of mini-camp, he sounded like a wasted pick. I didn't need much convincing either cause I didn't like the pick on draft day.

Gotta be tough for other teams though... like how do the scouts for the NY Jets feel knowing they gave the OK to draft Christian Hackenburg in the 2nd round and Dak was takine 80 picks later. Oh my!!!!
jr15aggie
AG
Quick thoughts the Day After:

Zeke: Looked good running the ball. Not worried about fumbling... he has never been a fumbler so I'm not going to worry about that until he shows over several games there is reason for concern.

Oline: Sorry, but they are NOT the best in the league right now. We've seen it before so we know they are capable, but it's been a rough couple weeks for them. Very average opening holes for Zeke & Morris and giving up too many sacks. It's early in the season so no reason to panic... the good news is they should only improve!

Defense: Come up big when we've needed them, but ugh, they got issues man. I think they'll play good enough most of the season, but against a top 5 QB we could get absolutely lit up. I only hope D-Law can really make a visible difference when he gets back.

Dak: Only one criticism... guy needs to run the ball more! I definitely appreciate him being a QB first and I don't want the Cowboys to mess with his current instincts too much (because right now his instincts are beyond his NFL years!). But he will only be helping himself if teams have to take LBs out of coverage more often so they can spy the QB.

Other Team: They are still daring us to beat them through the air. Frustrating watching our line struggle to get big holes, but so many times the LBs & Safeties are crashing down hard making it difficult to run for big gains. It's no wonder why the play action boot leg has pretty much been open every time!
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
Oline: Sorry, but they are NOT the best in the league right now. We've seen it before so we know they are capable, but it's been a rough couple weeks for them. Very average opening holes for Zeke & Morris and giving up too many sacks. It's early in the season so no reason to panic... the good news is they should only improve!

Free was atrocious yesterday. But he's been atrocious before and we've gotten by. What was troublesome to me a bit was Smith. He got beat around the corner way more than I've ever seen before. Not sure what's going on with him. But basically every pass play the ends were getting past our tackles fast and Dak was having to step up and then also holding the ball too long.

Overall I will continue to say what I have been saying since the Spring (and I know some of you disagree). This team is not far away from being a conference title contender. I truly believe they are literally 2 impact defenders away from being a 12 win team. And honestly that frustrates the heck outa me because they coulda found a way to make those moves. As hard as I am on the organization its extra frustrating to me that even after all their boneheadedness a couple of more moves and they coulda had a special season.

And they still can actually by trading for those needed pieces. Really hoping that they can swing a deal prior to the trade deadline with some team that's already DOA for 2016 and bring a defender in. With Zeke, Morris, and Dunbar I think they are set at RB. Maybe they can dangle McFadden and/or a draft pick to get another piece in. I'd actually love to see them add an interior DL pass rusher. Someone who can get a bull rush going up the field and once in a while push a Guard or Center into the backfield.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
would the board trade a 2nd and 4th for Aaron Donald?

looks like he's not exactly Mr. Popularity in LA right now. turning into a bid of a headache for mgmt. maybe he can be our Charles Haley type acquisition. maybe Stan Kroenke owes Jerry for Jerry screwing the Raiders over in favor of the Rams for the move to LA?

don't think the Rams would trade him especially for that package above for the record.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
2nd & 4th for Donald... probably man, probably! In the post above you said this team is maybe 2 impact guys from being a real contender. Can't say I disagree and the addition of Donald & (fingers crossed) Jaylon next year could be just that for this team.

The improbable thing to consider here is this team is no longer bound by Tony Romo's window. We can and will win with Dak whenever he's officially handed the keys. With the main offensive pieces being in place & available to us for the next 3-4 years it could very well get interesting if we make the right moves on defense.

ramblin_ag02
AG
quote:
How about Jaylen Smith and a 4th?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:

Free was atrocious yesterday. But he's been atrocious before and we've gotten by. What was troublesome to me a bit was Smith. He got beat around the corner way more than I've ever seen before. Not sure what's going on with him. But basically every pass play the ends were getting past our tackles fast and Dak was having to step up and then also holding the ball too long.

Overall I will continue to say what I have been saying since the Spring (and I know some of you disagree). This team is not far away from being a conference title contender. I truly believe they are literally 2 impact defenders away from being a 12 win team. And honestly that frustrates the heck outa me because they coulda found a way to make those moves. As hard as I am on the organization its extra frustrating to me that even after all their boneheadedness a couple of more moves and they coulda had a special season.

And they still can actually by trading for those needed pieces. Really hoping that they can swing a deal prior to the trade deadline with some team that's already DOA for 2016 and bring a defender in. With Zeke, Morris, and Dunbar I think they are set at RB. Maybe they can dangle McFadden and/or a draft pick to get another piece in. I'd actually love to see them add an interior DL pass rusher. Someone who can get a bull rush going up the field and once in a while push a Guard or Center into the backfield.

Zeke also slipped on a couple of runs and his patience still needs work. Both those fumbles were baaaad fumbles that didn't even require contact to cause. They were of the Mark Sanchez variety.
Ag Natural
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Zeke also slipped on a couple of runs and his patience still needs work. Both those fumbles were baaaad fumbles that didn't even require contact to cause. They were of the Mark Sanchez variety.
Uh, that's not what I saw. The first one, the ball was punched out by Josh Norman. On the second he had two arms around the ball but ran into the pile a little awkwardly. I think the penetration surprised him.

It is true that he needs to be better. But it's not like he just let the ball slip without cause.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
Can't say I disagree and the addition of Donald & (fingers crossed) Jaylon next year could be just that for this team.
if you can make the deal this year i think you do it. you never know what the future holds.

on top of this, i think you go almost exclusively defense in next year's draft.
RedlineAg08
There's no thinking about it. Give a 1st if you have to to get Aaron Donald.
Ag Natural
AG

Aaron Donald is a top 5 interior DL in this league. If the Rams are dumb enough to take that trade you do it yesterday.

And now that I think about it, they gave up a lot of picks to get Goff and defensive line is their deepest position. Maybe they can be convinced to do it.
jtstanley4621
AG
I would take Donald in a heartbeat. However, the cowboys need help/depth at pretty much every single defensive position, especially up front. They need to use a large majority of their draft picks this season on defense, and pray that Smith's knee will heal up.
Macarthur
IF you could swing something for Donald, I would do that in a minute.

I too think this defense isn't that far off. The secondary is pretty solid. Crawford is pretty good. Lee is good, but we have a black hole at the other LBer positions. Donald would make this DLine maybe better than average when the two DEs get back.

Keep in mind, Sturm has been saying for some time that his sources a The Star and in his observations at camp, that Lawrence is ready to take a big step forward. If Lawrence does take a big step, adding a piece like Donald to Crawford makes this a really interesting front. And assuming Jaylon comes back next year, it could make for a real interesting front 7.
Macarthur
quote:
I would take Donald in a heartbeat. However, the cowboys need help/depth at pretty much every single defensive position, especially up front. They need to use a large majority of their draft picks this season on defense, and pray that Smith's knee will heal up.

The problem, IMO, is that they have depth. Unfortunately, those guys have to start!

McClain and Thornton are good depth. Hitchens and Durant are good depth. If we had an impact player in front of them, all of the sudden, this defense looks much different.
jr15aggie
AG
I couldn't help but think about how Redskins fans feel today. Think about it just from the QB position... they gave up a kings ransom to get RG III. They had to dump him after a few short years and go with the consolation prize in Cousins... and Cousins simply hasn't looked very good the first 2 weeks.

And here they are losing to the Cowboys. The same Cowboys that had Romo fall into their laps now have seemingly found another Diamond in the rough. And not only that, but in his 2nd game he completely outplayed, in every way, the guy they've been grooming for a few years now.

Cowboys are in a VERY rare situation here and I bet it makes quite a few rival fans furious!
DannyDuberstein
AG
I'd be feeling worse if I were a skins fan and they gave that ****-bird a huge long-term deal.
Southlake
Nothing gets you benched faster than fumbling. Yes, the first ball was punched out, but in the NFL, players are always trying to punch balls out and strip runners. This isn't college; he has guys older and stronger then anything he faced at OSU. His second fumble was also inexcusable. Simply put, good backs rarely fumble. This is why he was benched the last 7 minutes in favor of Morris.

The Bears know this and will be trying to strip him. Anyone who watches Sportscenter this. If he fumbles again anytime soon, he won't play for a long time.

Morris starts next Sunday.

And 81 yards on 21 carries barely gets 4 yards a pop against a crapoy Redskin D line that the Giants ran thru"
corleoneAg99
AG
Aaron Donald is one of the top 5...hell, maybe top 3....non QB's in football.(AB, Watt, Donald, Kuechly?)

If you want guys like that at his age and number then you need to draft them.
jtstanley4621
AG
quote:
quote:

The problem, IMO, is that they have depth. Unfortunately, those guys have to start!

McClain and Thornton are good depth. Hitchens and Durant are good depth. If we had an impact player in front of them, all of the sudden, this defense looks much different.
I don't see McClain playing for us this year. It's also a lot easier to say that there should be an impact player in front of them than it is to put an impact player in front of them. I think that Smith can be a good NFL LB if he gets healthy. My biggest concern is the d-line. We need major help and depth there. So far teams have essentially gotten what they've wanted against us in the run game. I'm not trying to downplay the significance of the defense against the redskins, especially in the second half, but we could be in trouble going down the road. Eventually we'll play the Packers. That could get ugly.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Hardline hypothetical where does Prescott get drafted if the draft was held today?
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
Hardline hypothetical where does Prescott get drafted if the draft was held today?
1st round.

Either Rams or Cowboys.

The Cowboys appeared to be pretty hell bent on trying to secure the QB of the future. The Rams if they could re-draft have to be wondering about Goff. Of course its all still way too early and its kind of a ridiculous hypothetical. but I don't see him making it past Dallas at 4.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
btw...Noah Spence picked up his first sack this weekend.

looking at the press he's been getting since camp in Tampa and as an organization they have been very impressed by him and they feel like he can be a 10+ sack guy in his rookie year.

Jaylon Smith spent Sunday with a rope attached to his leg testing his knee strength and wondering if he may actually play again much less play this season.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Randy Gregory drops appeal. Minimum he can come back is week 16. So like Jaylon Smith another 2nd rounder who won't produce in 2016 for Dallas.

Good use of premium draft picks.
Reginald Cousins
S
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Uh, that's not what I saw. The first one, the ball was punched out by Josh Norman. On the second he had two arms around the ball but ran into the pile a little awkwardly. I think the penetration surprised him.

It is true that he needs to be better. But it's not like he just let the ball slip without cause.

Forgive. What I was trying to type was "major contact". Basically, neither hit was a hit that you'd expect an NFL player to fumble on.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
with this Gregory news Dallas pretty much HAS to deal for an impact defender now don't they? i mean you'd think so right?

not doing so basically either means the organization does not feel like they are just 1-2 players away from contending OR they are so completely delusional about what they have on the DL they are unable to see that its not a DL that can win them playoff games or maybe even get them to the playoffs.
BassCowboy33
quote:
with this Gregory news Dallas pretty much HAS to deal for an impact defender now don't they? i mean you'd think so right?

not doing so basically either means the organization does not feel like they are just 1-2 players away from contending OR they are so completely delusional about what they have on the DL they are unable to see that its not a DL that can win them playoff games or maybe even get them to the playoffs.

I think the first two games of the season have made it abundantly clear that Dallas isn't one or two players from contending. Dallas was an average quarterback away from giving up a 40 spot to Washington.

At this point, I think the brass realizes this and hopefully will learn from their mistakes going into next year's draft.
Agnzona
Why would he pull his appeal. Was there a chance he could get even more games?
Ryan34
AG
quote:

What impact defender is going to be realistically available midseason via a trade?
BassCowboy33
The best option would be to either suck and draft Myles Garrett or kind-of-suck and trade up to draft Myles Garrett.
Ag Natural
AG
quote:

You keep saying this like it's a fantasy league. Can you name the impact defenders Traded mid-season in the last 20 years? Seems like the kind of guys available would be the exact kind of guys you don't want.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.