*** COWBOYS 2016 Season ***

280,443 Views | 3441 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ag Natural
jtstanley4621
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Everybody needs to chill on Dez. Of course he hasn't been right since the "not a catch"... he broke his foot game 1 last year and he rushed to get back to help his team win. He was never physically right at any point last year.

If you watched this pre-season at all you will know that he looks just fine.

The Giants game... yeah, they totally blanket covered the guy. Do you expect him to still make plays, of course, but his Rookie QB did the right thing as a rookie and threw elsewhere most of the game. His reads told him to throw to the other guys. But give Dak credit, he did take his shots to Dez and gave Dez the perfect throw in tight coverage for a TD. Dez just didn't make the catch. That's one you'd really like Dez to make (and let's not forget he has on many occasions), but credit the Giants CB, he was all over it.
I agree for the most part, and I'm not going to nitpick Dak in his first start. He was fine.. However I refuse to accept that there's nothing else we can do to get Dez the ball other than throwing it deep and praying that he comes down with the ball. If the Texans can get Hopkins the ball and the Steelers can get Brown the ball, there is no reason why we can't do the same kinds of things with Dez. That's a schematic thing, and the blame for that needs to fall on Garrett and Linehan.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Agree completely. If they are going to bracket Dez all day, then you move him around. Make their constant attention interfere with other parts of their defensive scheme, and make the people shadowing Dez get in the way of the rest of the defense. When Dez is just running 15+ yard routes over and over, it's easy to bracket him without affecting the rest of the defense. Seems like a smart OC (or HC) would have made some adjustments by halftime.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ag Natural
AG
quote:
quote:
Everybody needs to chill on Dez. Of course he hasn't been right since the "not a catch"... he broke his foot game 1 last year and he rushed to get back to help his team win. He was never physically right at any point last year.

If you watched this pre-season at all you will know that he looks just fine.

The Giants game... yeah, they totally blanket covered the guy. Do you expect him to still make plays, of course, but his Rookie QB did the right thing as a rookie and threw elsewhere most of the game. His reads told him to throw to the other guys. But give Dak credit, he did take his shots to Dez and gave Dez the perfect throw in tight coverage for a TD. Dez just didn't make the catch. That's one you'd really like Dez to make (and let's not forget he has on many occasions), but credit the Giants CB, he was all over it.
I agree for the most part, and I'm not going to nitpick Dak in his first start. He was fine.. However I refuse to accept that there's nothing else we can do to get Dez the ball other than throwing it deep and praying that he comes down with the ball. If the Texans can get Hopkins the ball and the Steelers can get Brown the ball, there is no reason why we can't do the same kinds of things with Dez. That's a schematic thing, and the blame for that needs to fall on Garrett and Linehan.
You think it's the Steelers great coaching that gets Brown open? I'd argue that he just knows how to get open. Dez does not.
jtstanley4621
AG
quote:
Agree completely. If they are going to bracket Dez all day, then you move him around. Make their constant attention interfere with other parts of their defensive scheme, and make the people shadowing Dez get in the way of the rest of the defense. When Dez is just running 15+ yard routes over and over, it's easy to bracket him without affecting the rest of the defense. Seems like a smart OC (or HC) would have made some adjustments by halftime.
Absolutely. What we did with Dez played right into their hands.

Also Dez is great with the ball in his hands. I didn't see a single WR screen called against the Giants. That would give the offense some pretty easy yards, be an easy throw for dak, and open up the run game a bit. They have to get the ball to Dez any way they can. The constant attempts of running it into an 8 man box for about 2-3 yards over and over was very frustrating.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
I didn't see a single WR screen called against the Giants.
But we did see that epic TED screen to Jason Witten on 3rd and 20. That was all sortsa awesome.

And for some reason, it really reminded me that this is a Jason Garrett coached team. Just generally lacking in common sense and IQ. It's always been that way under his leadership.
jtstanley4621
AG
We're just so terrified of turning the ball over (because the defense is trash) that we refuse to be aggressive. I realize that it was Dak's first start, but at some point you have to stop running the ball the same way. The Giants were loading up and selling out to stop it, and we refused to adjust. I don't even think there were RB tosses called. Elliott has the speed to run a toss, and that could have worked with all the pressure the giants brought up the middle. But no... Better give it to Elliott 30 times for like 2 yards a carry. Also didn't see any Prescott called runs, which I think could have helped open things up.
RedlineAg08
I get the Jason Garret hate because he's been at the helm for a long time now and we haven't seen results, but the offense has operated at "best in the league" levels with Romo at the helm. It doesn't with other lesser QBs, and that's a problem, of course, but give them time with Dak. He looks competent, and you can't blame Garret/Linehan for playing it safe in Game 1.

Garrett didn't change the defense to Tampa 2 and hire Monte Kiffin after trading up and drafting Morris Claiborne. As far as I'm concerned, the defense is 100% on Jerry Jones and Garret has no control over that cluster****.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
We're just so terrified of turning the ball over (because the defense is trash) that we refuse to be aggressive.

not sure in what world or stratosphere the Jones family decided the best strategy to build a good defense was building a good offense. the whole "our defensive strategy is going to be to keep our defense off the field" was completely ridiculous. that is not how super bowl teams get built in this day and age. you have to have a good defense and you really need playmakers in your front 7. multiple playmakers. not just a playmaking LB who doesn't play half the season.

and this is not hindsight. i and many of us on these boards called that strategy ridiculous in the offseason.
jtstanley4621
AG
The problem is we're trying to be Bama (run the ball, take deep shots) but we're trying to do it with a ****ty defense. That will not work.
DannyDuberstein
AG
They don't take deep shots. Near the very bottom of the league at pass plays over 30 last year and didn't try much on Sunday either.

I think counting on a young/backup QB or backup to effectively execute the length of the field with underneath passes just doesn't work well. It almost always breaks down somewhere along the way. Need to bite off bigger chunks at times.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
I think we only had one play greater than 20 yards on Sunday. And it was a 21 yard pass to the 3rd string TE Geoff Swaim.

Out of 75 plays, that's insane.
RedlineAg08
Our QBs were **** last year. Kellen Moore has the weakest arm in the league and it ain't close.

Dak is brand spankin new, ran a spread in college , with predominately quick screen and underneath routes.
Ag12thman
AG
quote:
The problem is we're trying to be Bama (run the ball, take deep shots) but we're trying to do it with a ****ty defense. That will not work.
This.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Kellen Moore got garbage time at the very end of the season after it was long lost. Weeden, Cassel, and Dak all have the arm to take some shots.
DannyDuberstein
AG
They do need to rely on the running game to protect the defense. But that same quality running game should open chances to take deep shots. I think it's a huge mistake to build an offense where the passing portion of the offense has to almost completely rely on a cleanly executed underneath passing game, because any slight mistake (inevitable with a backup) puts you behind the chains and you're ****ed. once they get behind the chains, Garrett gets even more afraid of a mistake. So he goes further into that shell.
Ag Natural
AG
The did take a few shots. The problem is, when you can't run the ball and you throw an incompletion on a deep ball... it makes moving the chains VERY difficult. I think they get stuck in a survival mode of not getting behind the chains. So at the end of the day, it's all about the running game. If you are busting off 5 and 6 yard runs consistently it gives you the ability to waste a down here and there trying for the big play.
jr15aggie
AG
I still say we just flat out got beat... played a better more physical team and got beat. But only by 1 point. We could have easily won this game. Let's see how the year plays out, we have lots of time to improve.

I'm still way more excited about our prospects simply because I see so much promise in Dak & Zeke going forward. This time last year we were simply waiting for Romo's time to expire and go into QB hell. I'm no longer concerned about our long term QB situation.
Macarthur
i think there's a bit of overreaction that happens after week one. If Dez and beasley haul in those two TDs, the conversation is pretty diff.

I think one thing everyone needs to remember is the Giants front 4 is really really good. They are going to give folks lots of problems this year. I really do think they will have a lot success on the ground this year. The cowboys that is.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
i think there's a bit of overreaction that happens after week one. If Dez and beasley haul in those two TDs, the conversation is pretty diff.
Exactly. Offseason is long and it's disappointing having a week 1 loss. But this game started and progressed really well for us. Cowboys made a few stops on D & even got a pick... meanwhile the offense is up and down the field chewing up tons of clock.

TDs... it really comes down to TDs! Beasley drops one and Dez doesn't do his Dez thing with another. I think we'll be fine, but we really need to beat Washington. Starting 0-2 for the season, and more specifically 0-2 in the division, is probably a death sentence for this team.
jr15aggie
AG
Listening to Talking Cowboys I was reminded of that goofy play where Eli was trying to Eli again... we had him dead to rights at his 10 yard line... he was getting sacked! Instead he throws a lateral into the dirt at his RB. FUMBLE!!! The ball bounces, I believed the RB even kicks it a little, and OF COURSE, it jumps right into the RBs hands and he gets like 7 yards out of it!

Another example of shoulda, coulda, didn't! We lost the game of inches week 1 unfortunately!
BassCowboy33
quote:
I still say we just flat out got beat... played a better more physical team and got beat. But only by 1 point. We could have easily won this game. Let's see how the year plays out, we have lots of time to improve.

I'm still way more excited about our prospects simply because I see so much promise in Dak & Zeke going forward. This time last year we were simply waiting for Romo's time to expire and go into QB hell. I'm no longer concerned about our long term QB situation.

I'd say the opposite. Dallas won nearly every aspect of the game, except the scoreboard. If you're the Giants, you have to be thrilled that you got outplayed and still came away with a W. Dallas could have easily run away with the game if Dez and Cole don't drop those touchdowns.

What you saw Sunday was something more typical of a hockey game, where a team plays defensive and holds on for dear life, looking for a few chances for breakout rushes. That doesn't work often, but it did for them on Sunday.
Macarthur
Sure was thinking last night how great it would be if Dallas had Todd Bowles.
PooDoo
AG
Maybe if his defense came with him.
Southlake
Concerned about Elliot's fumbles? Had two today. Lost one. Once you get that rep, teams try extra hard to strip the ball.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
Concerned about Elliot's fumbles? Had two today. Lost one. Once you get that rep, teams try extra hard to strip the ball.
i'm sure they'll work on that.

i'm more concerned with the fact that they can't get any pressure at all on the QB even when blitzing. this pass rush is actually worse than i even expected and as most of you know i was expecting it to be bad.

i know Lawrence is expected back after 2 games and maybe even Gregory and while that will help that would maybe take this pass rush from an F- to a C- at best.

this team has got to figure out trading for another vet. some of you might think i'm unrealistic but i really truly still think this team is literally 1-2 impact defenders away from being serious conference contenders. either 2 DL or a DL and a LB (in addition to Lawrence coming back).
RedlineAg08
Looking like the Vikes are probably pretty happy with the Bradford trade so far
Southlake
Geez, I cringe when I see our defense and imagine Ramsay back there and Morris as the feature running back.

Giants are 2-0 and looked better yesterday.

Will see more of the Eagles tonite.

Even tho we got a conference victory, the Redskins looked poor. Cousins had a lot of time to throw and the Skins running game while bad against Pittsburg was effective against the Cowboys.

Again, good win, but could've easily been a loss as easily as last week could have been a win. Of course at this pace, you're looking at 8-8.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Thoughts after 2 games:

I'm all in on Prescott. He looks like a player already.

Zeke on the other hand...

Dez looked great with different positions and match-ups. Glad the coaches could figure that out.

We have no pass rush and can't stop the run. If our secondary wasn't above average we'd give up 40 a game.

Dan Baily is a machine
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ag Natural
AG
quote:
Thoughts after 2 games:

I'm all in on Prescott. He looks like a player already.

Zeke on the other hand...

Dez looked great with different positions and match-ups. Glad the coaches could figure that out.

We have no pass rush and can't stop the run. If our secondary wasn't above average we'd give up 40 a game.

Dan Baily is a machine

The pass rush is poor, no doubt. I like that they tried T. Crawford at end and he got a sack. Maybe he can fill that role and then get DL back and we're at least average.

As for the run defense, I don't see the problem. They gave up 101 to the Giants and 82 to the Skins. Yesterday, they got the stops in the fourth. I think this team will be pretty good against the run and very conservative in passing downs. They will need to make plays in the red zone.
jeffdjohnson
I'm not sure where Romo is on his rehab but its not hard to imagine a very awkward situation looming. The Cowboys may have stumbled onto the greatest asset an NFL team can possess. A good, competent, cheap QB on a rookie contract. Every other NFL team is spending a large amount of its cap space on a QB, this obviously gives the Cowboys a significant advantage. The problem... Tony Romo is under contract during most of Dak's rookie contract. So the Cowboys don't get to reap any of the rewards if Tony Romo stays on the roster.

The rewards are pretty massive I think. I've read that cutting Romo this offseason would be a 19.6M hit to the cap over two years. If they keep Romo for two more years then they would spend 49.8M. That is a 30M difference over two years. Imagine drafting defense heavy in the 2017 draft (plus Jaylon Smith return) plus having an additional 30M to spend on defensive help over the next two seasons. That transforms the entire team into a legit title threat in short order.

It all comes down to how Dak plays the next 6 games. If he continues to play with poise and shows upside the Cowboys could start 5-3 in spite of their defense. Could Jones and Garrett really stunt the development of their greatest asset in favor of a QB who hasn't played since 2014? Could Jones really pull the trigger and cut Romo in the offseason? If what we are seeing from Dak is not real or sustainable then it won't be a difficult decision. But I'm starting to believe.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Basing that mostly on the Giants game. The Giants have at best an average RB and line, and that's being generous. They ran for only 64 against the Saints' awful defense. Yet, we couldn't stop them with the game on the line. They also gave up almost 5 ypc against an underwhelming Washington run game.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
i think the awkwardness will be limited to this year.

i really feel like Romo will walk away after this year.
DannyDuberstein
AG
quote:
i think the awkwardness will be limited to this year.

i really feel like Romo will walk away after this year.
Agree. And I think their record and playoff standing by the time Romo is ready to play will largely dictate the level of awkwardness.
Ag Natural
AG
My dream scenario to offer Romo to the Browns for both of their number one's. Use those picks to get Myles Garrett.. get Smith healthy... and win 5 straight championships.
Macarthur
quote:
My dream scenario to offer Romo to the Browns for both of their number one's. Use those picks to get Myles Garrett.. get Smith healthy... and win 5 straight championships.
I've thought about the possiblity of trading Romo, but I think all the cap hit accelerates. I don't think they can absorb that.

It may be one of those June 1st things where they can split the hit in two years.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.