*** COWBOYS 2016 Season ***

280,367 Views | 3441 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ag Natural
Kashchei
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Why the **** are we going TO lambeau AGAIN?? Is this like 4 seasons in a row now?? Talk about an automatic loss.
PooDoo
AG
At GB
At Pitt
At Min
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
PooDoo said:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/defensive-line/
2017 FAs that might be had for a pick
Charles Johnson Car

Wonder what it would take to get Clowney from the Texans?

as noted in the other thread, its vital they make a move if they wana be serious about winning the conference.

i haven't been watching the Texans. how is Clowney doing?
Ag Natural
AG
I don't see it happening. I think the Cowboys like the guys they have and will continue to push them to just get better. The front did a decent job yesterday and that only bolsters the confidence of the front office to stick with that strategy.

If you want them to make a move, then you should hope for Green Bay to torch them next week. The GB Oline has the number rated pass blocking line and Aaron Rodgers. It could get ugly.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
I agree. If they win next week then i dont see em making a move. I actually think its unlikely regardless.
PooDoo
AG
The only reason to make a mid season move for a UFA would be a Super Bowl/deep playoff run this year.

Winning at GB would point to being on the brink and warrant the win now trade.

Otherwise just wait till the offseason & draft.
jr15aggie
AG
nm. Was saying something about the QBs but didn't want to derail the good D-line talk.
jr15aggie
AG
PooDoo said:

Winning at GB would point to being on the brink and warrant the win now trade.

Otherwise just wait till the offseason & draft.

I don't know, that's hard. Winning at GB will also tell Jerry that his team is good enough as-is. Don't want to get too excited about last night because it was only one game. We've seen such futile pass rush in 4 games I don't want to pretend the game last night is the new norm.

But it is entirely possible this D-line is finally starting to Gel. Thornton & Mayowa have been the definition of JAGs up to this point and we expected a little better. We got much better from both last night. D-Law was very limited last night (and visibly frustrated a couple times when they took him out), but even then you could see how far he's come. The guy is becoming a very solid DE.

If I was forced to make 1 trade to make this defense better, right now I'm looking for a LB, not a D-line guy.
jtstanley4621
AG
Claiborne really impressed me this last game. I still think that we will lose to Green Bay, but that Bengals win was about as impressive as it gets. Zeke and Dak just continue to get better.
jr15aggie
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

Claiborne really impressed me this last game. I still think that we will lose to Green Bay, but that Bengals win was about as impressive as it gets. Zeke and Dak just continue to get better.
He did impress and has most of this year. Still want to see more Int's from those guys and Byron Jones is still looking for his first in the NFL. Will have some decisions to make next year at CB for sure. I'm almost positive Mo & Carr are both free agents after this year.

Here's a thought... if Mo's play continues then he will get good money at years end. What if Scandrick can't ever get right this year... would we consider cutting Scandrick (no idea what that would save us in cap) so that we could sign Mo. Would be interesting if we dump Scandrick and keep Mo & Carr. All I know is that keeping / re-signing the guys already on the team is a heckuva lot cheaper than paying one of these random free agent CBs.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Cowboys have a new DBs coach that is really killing it right now.

All the DBs look vastly improved including JJ Wilcox who was terrible last year.
RedlineAg08
You're right. I didn't know we got a new DB coach, but Wilcox has been suprising this year. Dude is everywhere.

Think you have to pay Mo if he keeps it up.
PooDoo
AG
Also Kerry Hyder might be worth a call to Detroit.

Former practice squad backup from tehc. Too short for DE, light for DT... 5 sacks in 2 starts at DE only makes 450k.
jr15aggie
AG
I still have so many thoughts after that dominating win... I'll just bullet point some things to avoid my usual long-winded speeches:

• Our o-line is better with Ron Leary at guard.
  • Don't fool yourself and think any RB could do what Zeke is doing behind this O-line. Zeke is absolutely exploding out of his cuts. His acceleration is off the charts for a RB his size.
  • I'm told Cincy has had trouble pass protecting all year, so we can't get too excited about our D-line just yet.
  • I'm also told Cincy's D-line / Front 7 were suppose to be bad mofo's... so we have good reason to believe we still have one of, if not the best, O-line in the NFL. They have gotten better each week.
  • Scott Linehan is absolutely dialed in right now calling plays with Dak. Always 2 steps ahead of their D yesterday!
  • T-Will was targeted 5 times... he had 5 catches for 70 yards. Bueno!
  • Anthony Brown was our 3rd leading tackler, including a tackle for a loss which was a real Gem of a play from the rookie!
  • Beware of the Witten stiff arm!
jtstanley4621
AG
It really is interesting to think about Dak versus Romo. The ability to use (and to threaten to use) Dak on a bootleg with the threat of him cutting upfield and running is something that I think is a little bit understated about the offense's success so far.

I think Romo is a better passer than Dak in terms of reading the defense. But so far Dak has taken steps basically every game and just doesn't seem to really force anything unnecessary. That plus him maybe freeing up a little bit of running room for Zeke is a pretty big time combo. I would assume they're still gonna go back to Romo when/if he gets healthy, but Dak is seemingly making the choice harder as the weeks go by, which is about all you can ask for.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Tony has mastered the offense and reads defenses like a book. But we also get at least a couple false starts and delay of game penalties every week while he jacks around at the line of scrimmage. He's also usually good for one or two complete bonehead moves per game. And I'm not a hater. Since Ware left I think Romo has been the best player on the team.

It's just refreshing to see a quarterback walk up to the line, snap the ball, and make smart plays. The no nonsense Dak approach also seems to work just as well as Romo trying to play chess with the defense pre-snap. Makes me wonder how much of Romo's wild gesticulating is a complete waste of time and detriment to the offense.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ag12thman
AG
PooDoo said:

At GB
At Pitt
At Min
Those are all gonna be very, very tough wins.
jr15aggie
AG
Ag12thman said:

PooDoo said:

At GB
At Pitt
At Min
Those are all gonna be very, very tough wins.

I'm glad you agree they will be tough and they will also be wins!
Ag12thman
jr15aggie
AG
Something I just thought about... Cincinnati is in Ohio. I bet 90% or more of Bengals fans also cheer for the Buckeyes. That had to be at least a little bitter sweet watching one of your favorite college players (who was still playing college ball a few short months ago) destroy your NFL team.
PooDoo
AG
Seeing the Bucs 2nd round kicker makes me feel better about our 2nd rounder.
BassCowboy33
Kashchei said:

Why the **** are we going TO lambeau AGAIN?? Is this like 4 seasons in a row now?? Talk about an automatic loss.

The way Green Bay is playing, anything is possible. They can't move the football.
BassCowboy33
ramblin_ag02 said:

Tony has mastered the offense and reads defenses like a book. But we also get at least a couple false starts and delay of game penalties every week while he jacks around at the line of scrimmage. He's also usually good for one or two complete bonehead moves per game. And I'm not a hater. Since Ware left I think Romo has been the best player on the team.

It's just refreshing to see a quarterback walk up to the line, snap the ball, and make smart plays. The no nonsense Dak approach also seems to work just as well as Romo trying to play chess with the defense pre-snap. Makes me wonder how much of Romo's wild gesticulating is a complete waste of time and detriment to the offense.

Did we watch the same game? Dak did the "kill kill" at least a dozen times, consistently changed coverages at the LOS, made multiple route audibles to his receivers, and rode the play clock down to under :05 almost every play. The only difference is that Tony is more demonstrative in his actions. Dak was more subtle about it.

Edit: I get what you're saying now. Took me a couple of read throughs. Basically my point, but in different words. Carry on.
jtstanley4621
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

Kashchei said:

The way Green Bay is playing, anything is possible. They can't move the football.
As a fantasy owner of him, Rodgers has been kind of careless with the football so far this year. I still think that if he's able to sit back there he'll pick us apart. And the fact that it's in Green Bay is a fairly big deal. However, it would be very hard to argue against back to back wins against the Bengals and then in Green Bay if it were to happen.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Dallas just needs to keep doing what they have been doing.

Slow, efficient, time consuming drives. Don't look for that huge play down field, take the 3-6 yards the D keeps giving you, and don't turn it over. Be patient and score TDs in the red zone not settle for FGs. Keep Rodgers off the field so much that when he DOES get on the field, he gets antsy and impatient and makes a mistake.

Dallas can win this game. Not saying they will, but I def don't see it as an automatic L.
DannyDuberstein
AG
This may have been posted earlier so excuse me if it's a repeat:

But in the franchise's history, that was the very first time they won a game 28-14. That seems nuts.
Macarthur
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Dallas just needs to keep doing what they have been doing.

Slow, efficient, time consuming drives. Don't look for that huge play down field, take the 3-6 yards the D keeps giving you, and don't turn it over. Be patient and score TDs in the red zone not settle for FGs. Keep Rodgers off the field so much that when he DOES get on the field, he gets antsy and impatient and makes a mistake.

Dallas can win this game. Not saying they will, but I def don't see it as an automatic L.

It seems interesting to me that teams have not tried to bring extra men in the box, go one on one outside and force Dak to make tougher throws. I guess maybe they have but it sure seems like they are generally keeping safties deep. If I'm guessing, I bet GB rolls the dice and gets a lot of bodies around the LOS and see if he can beat them over the top.
gougler08
AG
GB defense is giving up 1.8 yards per rushing attempt this year, it will be interesting to see how Dallas does against them running the football
BassCowboy33
DannyDuberstein said:

This may have been posted earlier so excuse me if it's a repeat:

But in the franchise's history, that was the very first time they won a game 28-14. That seems nuts.

I remember a Raiders game back in '92 that was, I believe, 28-13, but that's as close as my brain could get.
Agnzona
This brings up an interesting topic. I wonder what % of NFL games only have touchdowns and successful extra points?
jr15aggie
AG
I also heard it was the first time we've ever won a game where Bailey didn't make a field goal.
BassCowboy33
Agnzona said:

This brings up an interesting topic. I wonder what % of NFL games only have touchdowns and successful extra points?

I imagine it was more common back in the day before the kicking game became nearly automatic. Even back in the mid-90's, a 50 yard field goal wasn't attempted all that often. Now, everyone does it with regularity.
PooDoo
AG
Anyone hear Simms talking during the game about Garrett's reasoning for taking Elliott so high?

Did he say he realized there were other needs but couldn't justify passing on a Hall of Fame talent?
Reginald Cousins
S
MRI on Romo shows healed with minor swelling around. Philly or week after.
Sea Gull

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.