*** COWBOYS 2016 Season ***

280,317 Views | 3441 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ag Natural
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
where did you read that ? i know he's injured but that is pretty significant obviously. as for Lee, he does have a knee injury thats kept him out a few days. the MRI though is news to me as well. shaping up to be another powerful dominating Cowboys D.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
quote:
Tapper may not play at all again. He's getting a 2nd opinion but apparently the first opinion recommended he not take the field anymore. If that holds, then we have another wasted pick on an injured player.

You're not allowed to complain on this thread about the offseason.

HTH.

right. even though the same mistakes keep getting repeated year after year after year.

i heard this on the radio this morning...

7 of the last 8 #1 Ds in football have been in the Super Bowl. that really does not bode well for the Cowboys. you can possibly make up for this by having a defense that is just timely and opportunistic but that is not the Cowboys D either.

if they want to have a legit shot at contending this year (assuming QB play holds up) they had better make a couple of more moves and get a pass rusher , more proven DL help, and even another impact LB. people seem to be expecting some solid players to get their walking papers in the upcoming cut downs so its still not too late. are the Jones' going to finally make some needed additions (this is a looking forward question not a looking backwards question btw)? or are they going to continue to provide Marinelli with guys who were sacking groceries or selling insurance not too long ago and expect him to coach them up into a title worthy defense? OR....are they simply content with being so conservative that the salary cap for years to come is not affected at all and they can just let Romo walk away without giving him the needed help to win that elusive title?
Macarthur
quote:
quote:
Would you pick Sanchez over Johnny?
You said you wanted to have a serious conversation, and then you post this question?
Did you watch Sanchez?
Post removed:
by user
Sea Gull
AG
I would think signing Johnny would hinge on getting him agree to similar terms that Dez agreed to a few seasons ago. Also, I'm not sure if the kid is still in football shape. Dude really screwed himself over by not attempting to come clean. There's about 3 teams that would be very interested in him.
TheCougarHunter
AG
Teams are calling about McFadden.

They need to swap McFadden for a pass rusher in the worst kind of way. This is their chance. Of course JJ will **** it up.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
Teams are calling about McFadden.

They need to swap McFadden for a pass rusher in the worst kind of way. This is their chance. Of course JJ will **** it up.
keeping expectations in check. it should be the Cowboys fans way by now. its mine too.

makes too much sense to trade him either for a pass rusher or LB help. more pass rusher because i think there will be some decent LBs coming available via cut days. hell, if the Cowboys were really serious about trying to make a run this year they might even go so far as to ship a conditional draft pick in addition to McFadden for an impact pass rusher. Lawrence is missing the first 4 games, and I wouldn't count on Gregory being available at all.
jr15aggie
AG
Yeah, you aren't going to get an impact guy for McFadden... not at DE anyways. Every team covets DE about as much as CB & QB. Well, every team other than Dallas, am I right guys!? The other problem is in a trade scenario we have to assume the contract for the other player and I'm not sure how much cap room we have.

Any trade interest in McFadden is probably for a mid / late round pick. Best we can hope for as far as defensive help is see who gets cut. That guy I was talking about from the Browns the other day (just read he signed with the Saints) was a perfect example of what we'll be looking for... older vet that gets cut mostly because he was making more money than he was worth, but he's still a good/decent player.
jr15aggie
AG
PS: I'm of the mind our D-line is what it is at this point... we have no resources to acquire an impact DE. Gonna have to rely on schemes and steady rotation to get any kind of pass rush. We also need Crawford to get his @$$ on the field and for guys like Thornton to play out of their minds.

But a good LB could go a long ways to helping and those are much easier to find.
Ag Natural
AG
It's very rare to find a pass rusher off the waiver wire or to trade for one unless he's injured or has character issues. In sure Hardy is available.

That's why I was a little surprised they didn't pull the trigger on Demontre. He must've been very unimpressive.

I think the best we can hope for is this Muwabi (sp?) from Oakland to be decent until Lawrence comes back. Then we at least two guys with edge potential. The rest are all effort players which can work if the offense can keep the ball a little bit.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
He must've been very unimpressive.
i'm guessing not impressive enough to overcome the off the field issues he supposedly has.

if they can't pick up serious help at DL or LB i'm hoping just before the trade deadline they are at 4-2 or 5-1 (optimistic lets say) and they can trade for one from a team that is trying to get picks for the following draft.
corleoneAg99
AG
Lee told the press today he's at no risk of missing opener. Just being cautious. Bears watching.
jr15aggie
AG
Questions for tomorrow nights game:

Does Dak play?:
I personally wouldn't mind giving him 1 series, maybe 2. He's been on a roll this pre-season and I'd like to give him game reps just to keep him in the flow. Not sure I like the idea of going into the Giants game and he hasn't thrown a game ball in 2 1/2 weeks.

Does the starting O-line play?: Normally I'd say heck no! But if Daks in there I'd feel a lot better having the starting O-line (minus Tyron, he's not playing either way).

Can Shower earn the back-up spot?: Kind of relates to that last question, will the starting O-line play a little even if it's Showers at QB? We really need to figure out if this guy can be the back-up while Tony is out so maybe we surround him by a few guys that can help him show what he's got. I'd rather Showers earn it (somebody who's been in the system over a year) than bring in some guy who knows he's out the door as soon as Romo is healthy.

Does Zeke play?: Again, hell no is the immediate response, but this guy needs some work in terms of conditioning. I wouldn't hate him getting 1 series and hopefully moving the chains so he can get 5-6 touches and then get him out. Let's get him breathing hard and sweating and ready to chew up the Giants D!
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Give Dak a series but Zeke needs to be on the sidelines in track gear.
corleoneAg99
AG
I'd sit Dak, Zeke, Tyron, Travis, and Martin.

Showers should be the backup.

DannyDuberstein
AG
I think the smart move is to sit them all. I'd like to see Dak get more PT, but not without all of the other starters. And I'd rather they all sit more than I want to see Dak get PT.
Agnzona
Normally I'd say play Dak. But he has had most of the first team snaps all camp so maybe not. Btw my wife works at a animal hospital and they had a puppy come in on Monday named Dak. The erea has began.
TheCougarHunter
AG
quote:
Yeah, you aren't going to get an impact guy for McFadden... not at DE anyways. Every team covets DE about as much as CB & QB. Well, every team other than Dallas, am I right guys!? The other problem is in a trade scenario we have to assume the contract for the other player and I'm not sure how much cap room we have.

Any trade interest in McFadden is probably for a mid / late round pick. Best we can hope for as far as defensive help is see who gets cut. That guy I was talking about from the Browns the other day (just read he signed with the Saints) was a perfect example of what we'll be looking for... older vet that gets cut mostly because he was making more money than he was worth, but he's still a good/decent player.
I know they won't get an impact guy. However they could at least get a solid rotational player for him. We need depth at the position badly.
corleoneAg99
AG
Yeah you're not going to get a "solid rotation guy" for DMC.

If you get a 5th or a 6th you did ok.
mike_ags_fan12
Sit the starters. Want to see Jameill do his thing to make the team
jr15aggie
AG
I wasn't excited for any of the games 2nd half of the year last year... But I'm excited (a little) for the game tonight.

Really looking forward to this season. Not sure about the W/L yet, but I think we'll get a good show and a team with grit and fight. Considering we had multiple games that were very close last year ( including the game at Seattle) I think we'll win more than we lose!
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
looks like Romo might be 8-10 now instead of 6-8 according to some reports.
corleoneAg99
AG
quote:
looks like Romo might be 8-10 now instead of 6-8 according to some reports.

But they probably won't IR him so they have to sacrifice a roster spot which is a bummer for a team that can use all the depth they can get.
PooDoo
AG
We're going to find out why you draft a RB in the top 5....

The bad news is we will win some games with our running game this year that we lost last year and end up 8-8ish out of the Myles Garrett sweepstakes.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Dang skippy!!! I was beating the Zeke drum pre-draft and it's going to be glorious. I'm always the first to admit when I'm wrong, but there will be no need to eat crow on this one. Zeke is going to slice up defenses year one.

Regarding Romo, I was just going to say that if it's a 6 week recovery that puts him back week 4/5 and you probably keep him on the roster. But Romo hasn't exactly been a fast healer in the past and there is no way we'd rush him back from something like this. I think he needs to go on IR and free up the roster spot. These 8-10 week reports are probably very good estimates.

I'm just thankful we have the smartest GM of all time who baited Denver into taking Lynch, talked up Goff and Wentz as legitimate top 5 QB picks, and then drafted the most ready to play rookie QB from this draft class in round 4. Brilliant!

Ag Natural
AG
quote:
quote:
Dang skippy!!! I was beating the Zeke drum pre-draft and it's going to be glorious. I'm always the first to admit when I'm wrong, but there will be no need to eat crow on this one. Zeke is going to slice up defenses year one.

Regarding Romo, I was just going to say that if it's a 6 week recovery that puts him back week 4/5 and you probably keep him on the roster. But Romo hasn't exactly been a fast healer in the past and there is no way we'd rush him back from something like this. I think he needs to go on IR and free up the roster spot. These 8-10 week reports are probably very good estimates.

I'm just thankful we have the smartest GM of all time who baited Denver into taking Lynch, talked up Goff and Wentz as legitimate top 5 QB picks, and then drafted the most ready to play rookie QB from this draft class in round 4. Brilliant!

I'm sure you mean the PUP and not IR. PUP is 6 weeks and IR is out for the season.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm sure you mean the PUP and not IR. PUP is 6 weeks and IR is out for the season.
there's a limited IR created in recent years that allows a player to come back within the season after a certain number of weeks.
txagman1998
AG
Cowboys signed Jerrod Johnson.
jr15aggie
AG
So I guess nothing bad was discovered on Sean Lee's MRI? He's probably the one guy we can't do w/out on our defense. We can lose him for a game or two, but if he misses significant time I fear what happens to our D.
DannyDuberstein
AG
The NFL should be ashamed for taking people's money for this 4th preseason game.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
The NFL should be ashamed for taking people's money for this 4th preseason game.

Ya its pretty bad.

I think Showers is doing well in the context of his supporting cast.
bonfarr
AG
Are people really hoping for a possible Cowboys SB run? I would love nothing more but thia is a 9-7 team at best and that is barring major injury.

Anything close to .500 is a win with this roster.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
Are people really hoping for a possible Cowboys SB run? I would love nothing more but thia is a 9-7 team at best and that is barring major injury.

Anything close to .500 is a win with this roster.

Im on record that w the current roster (defensive questions especially ) & Romo playing all 16 they were a 11-5 2nd rd in playoff loss type team.

Now w Romo out possibly 8 games Im thinking 7-9 or possibly 8-8.

Romo or Dak...they dont have the defenders needed to be better. Just imho of course.
corleoneAg99
AG
Orlando hates this team so much.

According to some on this thread, anyway.
Sea Gull
AG
Well, I think it's safe to say they can cut Showers. He looked terrible, unfortunately.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.