*** COWBOYS 2016 Season ***

280,294 Views | 3441 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ag Natural
jr15aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I agree with Orlando in that pass rush help would go a long way to secure this teams playoff spot (and possibly one of the top seeds), but what he said is also true... they aren't going to mess up the cap this year or next to get it done.

So many free agents next year... everybody from T-Will to Claiborne will be looking re-sign or get a deal elsewhere. And at the center of it is Tony Romo who I think they would be crazy to keep around after this season considering how much they could improve this team over the next few years if we could rid ourselves of that contract and replace it with a (possibly better) QB who will make next to nothing through the 2019 season.
BassCowboy33
jr15aggie said:

I agree with Orlando in that pass rush help would go a long way to secure this teams playoff spot (and possibly one of the top seeds), but what he said is also true... they aren't going to mess up the cap this year or next to get it done.

So many free agents next year... everybody from T-Will to Claiborne will be looking re-sign or get a deal elsewhere. And at the center of it is Tony Romo who I think they would be crazy to keep around after this season considering how much they could improve this team over the next few years if we could rid ourselves of that contract and replace it with a (possibly better) QB who will make next to nothing through the 2019 season.

I'm betting this is T-Will's last year.
jr15aggie
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

jr15aggie said:

I'm betting this is T-Will's last year.

It's a good possibility you are right. But Jerry does like to re-sign his draft picks so unless some team overpays they might be willing to give him a second contract.
PatAg
AG
Just think we should slow down a tad with the whole "let romo go" thing. Lets let Dak make it through the season playing at this level.

Im optimistic though.
PooDoo
AG
Catching up on this weekends games... Are there still people that still think we should've drafted Ramsey? What a diva he's turned out to be.
BassCowboy33
PooDoo said:

Catching up on this weekends games... Are there still people that still think we should've drafted Ramsey? What a diva he's turned out to be.

We already have a diva on our team and he's not producing on the field like Ramsey is. You can CRAP on him all you want, but barring a collapse or an epic final half by Bosa, Ramsey is going to run away with DROY voting.

Not to mention that the measure of this draft can't be weighed until their rookie contracts are up or they're dumped by their drafting team. A lot of it will have to do with longevity and year-in-year-out production.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Rumors that Dallas has been shopping McFadden and there are no takers because anyone interested thinks he'll get released anyway.
PooDoo
AG
Who is the diva you speak of, Dez?

No way a CB that doesn't get picks on a losing team wins DROY.

Cowboys have Emmitt Smith & Tony Dorsett rolled into one.

You're kidding yourself if you think they'd be 5-1 with Ramsey.
RedlineAg08
Just stop. Are you trying to pick a fight, or what? EE is good. Congratulations
bonfarr
AG
Elliott's not the drama queen that Ramsey is, his only issue is he likes to stick his dick in crazy.

Dak has a little bit of the same issue and I hope.it doesnt bite both of them in the ass some day.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
PooDoo
AG
We're having fun here no?

Team Ramsey was pretty quick to poopoo my opinion before and after the draft. Just curious to see how deep they have their heels dug in.
PooDoo
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Does that rating include Ramsey getting kicked out of the game for fighting?
jr15aggie
AG
PatAg said:

Just think we should slow down a tad with the whole "let romo go" thing. Lets let Dak make it through the season playing at this level.

Im optimistic though.

The problem with Romo is he's scheduled to make around $25 million for the next 3 years. You CANNOT pay that for a guy that can't stay on the field consistently. The Cowboys had no choice but to cross their fingers cause we had nobody even close to his level of play... Dak changed that.

It really doesn't matter if Romo is better than Dak, it's the fact that Dak is good enough. We now have to think about the best way to remove Romo's salary from the cap so we can fill the team with people that can help us win a Super Bowl!

Jerry stepped up and let Ware go, he'll have to do the same thing with Tony at years end.
Macarthur
I agree. And the most logical option is a post June 1 cut.
jr15aggie
AG
With all the fun bye-week arguing, I had to go back to our off-season thread... there are some real gems in there (I bumped the thread just for fun the draft stuff picks up around page 42 or so). Here are some quotes (of course some of these are making me look good!)... all in good fun Gents!

Me: Pre Draft (nailed the instant impact part):
Quote:

Ok guys, call your shot!

My opinion has not changed. This team needs a RB more than some think. #4 isn't too early for a guy that will touch the ball 25 times a game. Not gonna bash other prospects, but none of them will have the instant impact that this player will have on this team. Our offense was out of sync even with Romo last year... We need a threat out of the backfield to really make it click and none of the RBs last year threatened the other team.

My mind is made up... Team Zeke!

DSAg44 Post Dak pick (grand slam nailed it):

Quote:

Best pick of the draft!!!

Should have taken him in the second

Me Post Dak pick (not bad either):

Quote:

Really like this pick considering its our comp pick. Let's put it this way... I love my Aggie brother, but he makes so much more sense than Stephen McGee ever did.

Dak either blows up to be Romo's replacement, or he turns into a career backup. Either way nice pick here.

Southlake Post Draft (juuusssst a little bit outside):

Quote:

Disappointing draft for the Cowboys: Had a great chance to really stack the D. Immediate needs on D were not filled. Coulda had a prime defensive player with the first pick. Already had good running backs in place. Let's see if Zeke even starts. No help this year with the second pick - maybe ever if he doesn't fully recover. Whiffed on Lynch. 3rd end 4th picks are just that: 3rd and 4th picks.

Not sure the Cowboys got remarkably better.

PooDoo Post Draft (Dallas is #1 in 3rd down conversions this year)

Quote:

If you are happy with yards that's great. I'd like a running game that can convert a 3rd & 3... Punch it in on the goal line... Take control during the last 4 minutes and close out the game.

That's what I expect out of Elliott and that's what the Cowboys didn't have.

ce1994 Post Draft (wishing I had the cry/laugh emot right about now... wow!)

Quote:

Yes, I do. I think McFadden is better than Elliot. I think you can get three more years out of McFadden.

Gentlemen, EVERYTHING depends on Romo. Everything. He goes down it is another clunker. The Cowboys needed Ramsey. Badly.

After Romo retires the Cowboys are garbage.
BassCowboy33
jr15aggie said:

With all the fun bye-week arguing, I had to go back to our off-season thread... there are some real gems in there (I bumped the thread just for fun the draft stuff picks up around page 42 or so). Here are some quotes (of course some of these are making me look good!)... all in good fun Gents!

Me: Pre Draft (nailed the instant impact part):
Quote:

Ok guys, call your shot!

My opinion has not changed. This team needs a RB more than some think. #4 isn't too early for a guy that will touch the ball 25 times a game. Not gonna bash other prospects, but none of them will have the instant impact that this player will have on this team. Our offense was out of sync even with Romo last year... We need a threat out of the backfield to really make it click and none of the RBs last year threatened the other team.

My mind is made up... Team Zeke!

DSAg44 Post Dak pick (grand slam nailed it):

Quote:

Best pick of the draft!!!

Should have taken him in the second

Me Post Dak pick (not bad either):

Quote:

Really like this pick considering its our comp pick. Let's put it this way... I love my Aggie brother, but he makes so much more sense than Stephen McGee ever did.

Dak either blows up to be Romo's replacement, or he turns into a career backup. Either way nice pick here.

Southlake Post Draft (juuusssst a little bit outside):

Quote:

Disappointing draft for the Cowboys: Had a great chance to really stack the D. Immediate needs on D were not filled. Coulda had a prime defensive player with the first pick. Already had good running backs in place. Let's see if Zeke even starts. No help this year with the second pick - maybe ever if he doesn't fully recover. Whiffed on Lynch. 3rd end 4th picks are just that: 3rd and 4th picks.

Not sure the Cowboys got remarkably better.

PooDoo Post Draft (Dallas is #1 in 3rd down conversions this year)

Quote:

If you are happy with yards that's great. I'd like a running game that can convert a 3rd & 3... Punch it in on the goal line... Take control during the last 4 minutes and close out the game.

That's what I expect out of Elliott and that's what the Cowboys didn't have.

ce1994 Post Draft (wishing I had the cry/laugh emot right about now... wow!)

Quote:

Yes, I do. I think McFadden is better than Elliot. I think you can get three more years out of McFadden.

Gentlemen, EVERYTHING depends on Romo. Everything. He goes down it is another clunker. The Cowboys needed Ramsey. Badly.

After Romo retires the Cowboys are garbage.

Dude, this is way, way, waaaaaaaay too early to gloat. Give it three seasons of consistent production, improvement, and, you know, on field play. If this team starts to fall apart, I will hunt you down and (metaphorically) lose my S. Do NOT be THAT guy. I beg you.

This is equivalent to Cubs fans gloating and planning World Series victory parties. Please, don't tempt the sports gods. As a Rangers and Mavs fan I can tell you, this kind of grandstanding almost always backfires.
Reginald Cousins
S
Watch out. We've got a tough guy.
BassCowboy33
Reginald Cousins said:

Watch out. We've got a tough guy.

Nah, just not a fan of the chickens before they've hatched thing. It's burned us too many times in this town.
PooDoo
AG
It'll take you 3 years to be able to tell if Elliott is good but you know Ramsey's the man?
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
No one but you has said that.
Reginald Cousins
S
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

No one but you has said that.

Wrong. See all these CB efficiency lists and **** with him at the top. The Ramsey is the truth crowd pops in with stats regularly. Keep up.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Bass specifically said in his post that you should wait until the end of the rookie contracts to judge. I agree with that. It's week 7. We aren't even halfway through their rookie seasons. Way too early to say Zeke was the right choice over Ramsey. And vice versa.
jr15aggie
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Way too early to say Zeke was the right choice over Ramsey. And vice versa.

We are 5-1 and Zeke / Dak are already the new leaders of this team. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say we already know.
PooDoo
AG
Cowboys have the 4th best secondary in league according to PFF. Imagine how good they would be with a pass rush.
RedlineAg08
I agree. The secondary is a main reason we're 5-1.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
I hope you're right.
Reginald Cousins
S
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Bass specifically said in his post that you should wait until the end of the rookie contracts to judge. I agree with that. It's week 7. We aren't even halfway through their rookie seasons. Way too early to say Zeke was the right choice over Ramsey. And vice versa.

Was just saying more people had said it.
corleoneAg99
AG
Ramsey has been great for a rook.

So has Zeke.

Preferring Ramsey over Zeke was never about thinking Zeke would suck.

It's about asset allocation and yes, I still believe they'd get enough production from any number of running backs behind this OL that they could have upgraded the defense.

A defense currently 20th in DVOA while the offense sits at 1st.
jr15aggie
AG
This isn't a knock on anybody, but it's just funny cause some of us get our minds made up day 1 and NOTHING will ever change that. Kind of how some people still hated the Frederick pick even after he made the pro bowl... "we could have gotten him in the 2nd". And on the flip side some of us will LOVE Zeke even if Ramsey has like twenty-niner interceptions!

And now that the Cowboys are winning there are a lot more of these opinions to go around. Awesome!
corleoneAg99
AG
Fredrick is a great example of the same thing I mentioned above. I didn't like the pick because of when they took him; had nothing to do with the player.

IMO it's not being dug in as much as it's just an opinion on how to go about the draft.

That said, Jerry deserves some credit and I think he's as spare a GM as there is. He's given himself a lot of chances and some of his decisions have worked out well.

The offense has passed several great tests so far and with flying colors so Sunday will be fascinating because the PHI defense is pretty good.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
anyone else think Dallas wins Sunday easily? (10 points or more)?

corleoneAg99
AG
If the Dallas OL can shut down Cox, Graham, and Barwin like they did to CIN and GB then yes.
Macarthur
corleoneAg99 said:

If the Dallas OL can shut down Cox, Graham, and Barwin like they did to CIN and GB then yes.

Yes, I think this is the matchup that dictates the game.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

Fredrick is a great example of the same thing I mentioned above. I didn't like the pick because of when they took him; had nothing to do with the player.
I remember shaking my head listening to the draft analysts after that pick. "He'll be a 10 year starter in this league and he might make a few All Star games, but they took him too high". I'd take that career 100/100 for any non-top 5 draft pick.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.