*** COWBOYS 2016 Season ***

280,398 Views | 3441 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ag Natural
Agnzona
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone think Romo is a Jet next year?
jr15aggie
AG
Agnzona said:

Anyone think Romo is a Jet next year?
Haha... could be. I see 3 scenarios which we can't answer until Romo is healthy and the decision is made to play him or not:

1. If Dak starts all year and the team does well, Romo is done in Dallas. We move on.

2. If Romo gets his job back but gets hurt again or simply under performs and we have to go back to Dak, he is done in Dallas.

3. If he comes back and plays really well, stays healthy, and the Cowboys do some damage in the playoffs, he's back next year.
PooDoo
AG
Romo and Dak combo next year just might be enough to take the Cowboys to the Super Bowl
jr15aggie
AG
Just heard that Bennie Logan (Philly DT) will not play (he's been battling a groin injury for a few weeks). That is BIG news for us! Him paired next to Fletcher Cox is a formidable middle.

Philly's ability to even partially contain Zeke is now in serious doubt! Another 150+ for Zeke and 200 total rushing yards for Dallas is very possible. But I guess you never know in a division game.
bonfarr
AG
PooDoo said:

No way we should cut Romo. Prescott's low salary gives us the option to keep a very expensive insurance policy.

Noone can afford a $25 million insurance policy. By salvaging $5 million next year by cutting him you can buy a db or linebacker.
bonfarr
AG
PooDoo said:

Romo and Dak combo next year just might be enough to take the Cowboys to the Super Bowl

This is not very smart.
PooDoo
AG
bonfarr said:

PooDoo said:

This is not very smart.
We can keep him and he'll count $25 million against the cap... We can cut him or trade him and he'll count $30.

Plus, we'll need another back-up QB.

Tell me the smart move.

corleoneAg99
AG
And this is why I think Romo has to play once he's healthy. If he doesn't actually play they'll have no idea how to value him as an asset.
DannyDuberstein
AG
You can't look at just one year. Sure, it's a ****burger to eat $20 mill in dead money next year, but at least you are free and clear in 2018 with a young nucleus of key players and a big chunk of cap space opening. Keeping him handcuffs what you could do with the roster and in FA for yet another year. Then you're into 2019 and already approaching the end of Zeke and Dak's rookie deals.
jr15aggie
AG
PooDoo said:

bonfarr said:

PooDoo said:

This is not very smart.
We can keep him and he'll count $25 million against the cap... We can cut him or trade him and he'll count $30.

Plus, we'll need another back-up QB.

Tell me the smart move.

I think you are reading the cap wrong. If we take the full brunt of his dead money next year we will still save $5 mil on the cap in 2017 (and then we are free and clear for 2018 & 2019). Or we can make him a June 1 cut and we'll save $15-20 Mil over the next 3 years (basically spreads out his dead money).

As far as back-up QBs go, Sanchez is the guy. And if not him, then it's Kellen Moore. Either way, the back-up QB is already on the roster. Both are guys that we've invested time and money into and both are now familiar enough with the playbook to play if needed.

IMO Romo has to play this year and play at a high level or this becomes Daks team this offseason. And it may not be fair, but "playing great" to me is getting this team to the NFC Championship at the very least. If he can't get that done then why keep spinning our wheels?
bonfarr
AG
You arent reading his cap numbers correctly.
PooDoo
AG
Where is the remaining $30 mil in signing bonus & restructuring bonus going?
DannyDuberstein
AG
Everything I've seen is that Romo's prorated bonus amortization $$$ is $11 in 2017, $6 in 2018, and $3 in 2019. So that's the $20 you'd eat to cut or trade him. His 2017 base salary is $14 (so $14 + 11 = $25 to keep him in 2017), then escalates up to near $20 by 2019.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Another option is that if you dump him after June 1, the $20 of dead money hits as $11 in 2017 and $9 in 2018.
corleoneAg99
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Another option is that if you dump him after June 1, the $20 of dead money hits as $11 in 2017 and $9 in 2018.

This was the understanding I had but forgot the June1 cut aspect.

DannyDuberstein
AG
Unless Dak goes into the tank, I don't see any friggin way Romo is on the 2017 roster at $25 mill. I think he is most likely is dumped in a way that allows Jerry to spread the dead money $11 and $9 in 17 and 18.

Clears $14 million to spend on that defense with Dak and Zeke still only in the 2nd year of their rookie deals.
TyHolden
AG
cowboys should donate romo to the texans. we're all from the same state.
Gigem Trevas
DSAg44 said:

F the Texans.
PooDoo
AG
bonfarr said:

You arent reading his cap numbers correctly.
OK, I was adding the bonus from 2015.

Would trading him after June 1 also give the flexibility to defer the cap hit over 3 years?
jtstanley4621
AG
DSAg44 said:

For as much **** as their fans talk about Romo, deep down they'd kill to have a QB half as good as he is. I find it quite hilarious
RedlineAg08
If be in support of this. Live in Houston and don't mind the Texans. Would love to see Romo down here kicking ass and making these Texan fans choke on their criticism
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
If the Texans didn't have that huge ridiculous sum committed to Brock it certainly would get a lot more buzz/discussion.
PooDoo
AG
Do you really listen to the criticism of fans who's franchise high watermark is Matt Schaub?
Rudyjax
AG
He has to go to a team that believes they are a QB away from winning it.

It's funny not in a ha ha way is the exact same thing happened to his boyhood hero.
ChoppinDs40
AG
If the Texans had tony... they'd have $40m a year tied up in two underachieving QBs lol
Gigem Trevas
AggieFanatic09 said:

If the Texans had tony... they'd have $40m a year tied up in two underachieving QBs lol

Underachieving? He's been on some mediocre teams and overachieved with them.
jtstanley4621
AG
Few games exemplify the ridiculous criticism with Romo than the 2013 Denver game. We lost 51-48 with Romo throwing an interception at the end. Football is a TEAM sport. For several years of his career, most games were "can Romo overcome how much the defense sucks without making a mistake." If you put Romo on teams with a decent defense, he would have won a lot.

I guess maybe he's not at Brady or Rodgers' level, but my god he is 100 percent a quality NFL quarterback. And he worked his way to get where he is despite being undrafted. I don't think he's cocky or arrogant. Seems like he's a pretty good guy. I do not understand the hate for him. Hating the cowboys overall, I can get. But Romo is a good player. Objectively one of the best QBs in franchise history.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Never gona change the mind of dumbasses who think they know Romos game and dont. Just been listening to the ignorant narrative around him from media and people who dont even watch him week in and week out.
Rudyjax
AG
The year the Texans went to the playoffs, if they had Romo they win it all. Easily
Gigem Trevas
Unthought Known said:

The year the Texans went to the playoffs, if they had Romo they win it all. Easily

Which year?
PatAg
AG
I'm a big fan of how Dak is playing, and his potential, but lets maybe see him keep it going before we discount Romo for this year.
Bullmoose
AG
Lot of morons who can't accept reality in this thread.
Rudyjax
AG
Gigem Trevas said:

Unthought Known said:

Which year?

The one where they had like 4 QBs.
RedlineAg08
Whoop!

He didn't have a defense and they allowed the Parcells OLine to get old without ever plugging any young talent until they were an utter wreck. I'd argue that other than Witten and Ware he had no other talent on the entire team for a couple of years and played as a top 2-3 QB to keep the Cowboys 8-8.

He's the best QB that has come thru Dallas (I'm too young for Staubach, so may be biased). And Jerry is 100% right that his biggest failure is not winning with Romo.
RedlineAg08
Romo to the Cards of Palmer calls it quits. Him in Jacksonville would be scary if that defense develops.. The Jets would be another good one.

I think those would be his best bets unless somehow the Texans could rid themselves of Oswieler.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.