*** COWBOYS 2016 Season ***

280,391 Views | 3441 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ag Natural
Agnzona
How long do you want to ignore this user?
You could trade Tony to Cleveland for some #1s.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Salary cap implications (accelerating unamortized bonus) to the team that has the trade piece makes these trades pretty unusual these days. Cuts down on the pool of options pretty significantly, beyond just the challenge of finding a team willing to part with one for a reasonable price.

I think they've mostly made their bed and need to lie in it. Don't throw more value away on a bandaid that may very well make no impact to turning one L to a W. If Dak is the real deal, they have a great long-term nucleus on offense. Go attack the defensive needs this offseason with FA and the draft, and for goodness sake, quit taking high risk players. Don't piss away draft picks you may need for that in a trade for a 2016 bandaid. That's how/why you never get over the hump. Keep building. Don't go make the defensive version of a Joey Galloway or Roy Williams deal.
Macarthur
I agree in principle but if (big if) a guy like Donald would be available, you have to give it considerable thought. He's a true building block.
PooDoo
AG
It wouldn't hurt to call Denver & see if they match what the Vikings gave the Eagles, would it?
Ryan34
AG
quote:
You could trade Tony to Cleveland for some #1s.

Sorry, no one is giving up picks for a guy whose career may be over.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
its not my job to know whose available and whose not via trade. its the organizations.

there have been some midseason trades in the past (Haley is outside 20 years but is by far the most notable). other non defensive players are Trent Richardson , Beast Mode, and Carson Palmer. Palmer's days in Oakland sucked but that's because it was a bad organization and situation there and he excelled at his next stop instead.

i am not saying go out and just trade for the sake of trading. obviously, if there are no good players to be had then you can't do anything about it. but this team's MO recently has been to go ultra conservative so based on that would it shock anyone if they didn't really make that much of an effort to see whats out there? lately it seems like anytime there's a "oh that would make sense to go after player x" they decide to go in another direction.

on defense my personal opinion is if 2 of your 3 units within a defense are good then you can have a super bowl contending defense. i believe that IF the DL got pressure on the QB then the DBs would be good on this team. so in essence by adding an impact guy on that DL you'd turn 2 units into pretty solid units moving forward. and with the offensive potential and a weak NFC they can contend. so i do not believe they are that far off.

and that is in fact pretty remarkable considering how the Jones family has squandered some serious opportunities.
Ag Natural
AG
I think they would make a trade if one was available, no doubt in my mind. I just don't see it happening.

Reading the Cowboys press, it sounds like they are trying different things with the rotation and matchups. There has been sporadic success in the rush, just not consistent. They also signed a couple of guys who supposedly have edge rush skills. One came from Baltimore and has some decent numbers. They used him as an OLB but he may be better suited to play DE.

Also, you know it's got to be hard to go give up a bunch to get rushers when you have two guys on the roster who just can't play right now.
jr15aggie
AG
The only real shot we have at adding an impact guy to the group we've seen week 1 & 2 is D-Law. Based on the improvement we've seen out of him the last couple years it's not improbable that he comes back week 5 and is immediately our best D-line guy. Hopefully that will be a big enough bump to make a noticeable improvement to our defense.

Speaking of players improving the last couple years, what the heck happened to Hitchens?! Talk about showing up strong as a rookie and getting progressively worse! And where you at Wilson? These middle round LB'ers need to be players for us, but at this point both are JAGs.
Ag Natural
AG
BTW, if we don't destroy the Bears this week Garrett should be let go immediately.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
i don't think there's any doubt DLaw comes back and is the best pass rusher. that's my whole point though in my other posts.

once he comes back, i think the line improves, and the secondary will be decent and then you're really only looking at one more player (preferably on the interior DL who can provide either good run defense regularly OR is good at an interior bull rush) and then this defense in spite of everything can contend in a very weak NFC. once you contend in the conference then you never know what happens after that.

i think they continue to have too much faith their rookies will come through for them. Tapper hasn't seen the field in quite some time and Collins i guess had a decent game vs Washington. i don't think any reasonable person thinks these pieces are enough. they keep adding these random JAGs almost every week it seems like and none of them are guys that will make much of a difference. they need to make a serious investment not some guy who was cut from another team earlier in the week after barely making the 53 before anyway.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
BTW, if we don't destroy the Bears this week Garrett should be let go immediately.

LOL! I couldn't help but think the same thing after watching some of the game last night. You could make a laundry list of why the Cowboys should obliterate them. They have a short week and we are at home. They lost their best D-line guy (NT) to what looked like a bad injury last night. Cutler could be out with a bad thumb. I know some other guys on defense went down last night too.

If our O-line can't get it going this week with the Zeke/Morris combo going for 150+ and if we can't put up at least 30 points then we definitely have some serious coaching issues. I know it's the NFL and nothing is ever guaranteed... I know... but c'mon man, the Bears have issues right now!
Ag Natural
AG
I guess I'm resigned to this being trouble all season. It was pretty obvious against Washington that Marinelli basically gave up and went to a 3-man rush. I guess he figured we have to drop 8 and hope for the best. If we end up getting the occasional flash from DL then it could definitely help win a few games.

The bigger shock is Carr and Claiborne seem to be playing pretty well. And we don't talk about Byron Jones much but he is a real asset.
jtstanley4621
AG
quote:
quote:

LOL! I couldn't help but think the same thing after watching some of the game last night. You could make a laundry list of why the Cowboys should obliterate them. They have a short week and we are at home. They lost their best D-line guy (NT) to what looked like a bad injury last night. Cutler could be out with a bad thumb. I know some other guys on defense went down last night too.

If our O-line can't get it going this week with the Zeke/Morris combo going for 150+ and if we can't put up at least 30 points then we definitely have some serious coaching issues. I know it's the NFL and nothing is ever guaranteed... I know... but c'mon man, the Bears have issues right now!
I still cannot understand why Brian Hoyer is still in the NFL. Not sure what more that guy needs to do to prove and show that he is not a viable NFL QB, or even a backup. If he's their QB, losing to them would be the ultimate shame.
jr15aggie
AG
I haven't studied the D-line other than watching the game and rewinding a couple plays here and there... but taking what I've heard from a few different sources there is hope four our D-line. Maliek Collins shows real promise and that is great news because he was the one guy from the draft that I thought might help our defense.

The reason why Collins could really help us is that it would allow us to move T Crawford around more often (for those that didn't know he was lined up at DE when he got that crucial sack). McClain has been our best D-line player in two games and Thornton is also good enough to start. Once we get Lawrence back we might be able to really improve our pass rush on crucial downs by getting our 4 best D-line guys on the field and turning them loose.

Combine that with our high motor rotation guys and we might be able to put a somewhat respectable D-line together by mid-season.
RedlineAg08
I think our dline has played better than they look on paper.

That's not saying they're world beaters, but they've sort of held their own. I expected gaping holes with guards running free upfield pancaking Sean Lee, the other linebacker fell down at the snap of the play and our DT is sitting on him after getting pancaked, and RBs unloading the boomhammer on our safeties every play until we just sent out offense out on defense too.

With my expectations where they were, I'm pleasantly surprised by the defense.

And I'm climbing back aboard, cautiously, the Claiborne-wagon.
Macarthur
quote:
I haven't studied the D-line other than watching the game and rewinding a couple plays here and there... but taking what I've heard from a few different sources there is hope four our D-line. Maliek Collins shows real promise and that is great news because he was the one guy from the draft that I thought might help our defense.

The reason why Collins could really help us is that it would allow us to move T Crawford around more often (for those that didn't know he was lined up at DE when he got that crucial sack). McClain has been our best D-line player in two games and Thornton is also good enough to start. Once we get Lawrence back we might be able to really improve our pass rush on crucial downs by getting our 4 best D-line guys on the field and turning them loose.

Combine that with our high motor rotation guys and we might be able to put a somewhat respectable D-line together by mid-season.

I agree w this. I think moving Crawford to DE makes sense because our depth is better at DT.
PooDoo
AG
Wonder if Doug Free or Ron Leary can play DL?
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Wonder if Doug Free or Ron Leary can play DL?
Ha!

I know the one thing we've been lacking for years is a big sloppy DT that takes up space! For years at draft time we'd always talk about trying to get one of those guys and a safety. For now it looks like our safety spot has been filled with, at the very least, a capable player.... but we still need that grease ball load in the middle.

The Giants best off-season move might be the guy they call "Snacks". We couldn't budge him week 1.
RedlineAg08
I wanted Jarran Reed so bad.. He's not huge like Snacks, but he would have provided push and young talent that we need up front.

jr15aggie
AG
Ummm... Chicago's injury report after last nights game!

http://www.espn.com/nfl/injuries?team=chi

Several guys listed as questionable, but I doubt many on this list have any shot at playing on a short week:

Lamar Houston is done for the year
Goldman High Ankle Sprain is done for multiple weeks
Trevathan is having thumb surgery tomorrow
Cutler messed up his throwing thumb
Kyle Fuller is recovering from knee surgery and is still a few weeks away probably
Amos & Callahan had a concussion Monday Night so doubtful
Carey hurt his hammy Monday so good luck with that too.

So by my count they are down 2 starting LB'ers and their starting NT for sure. They will also most likely be missing 3 DBs. That's 6 possible guys missing on defense and 4 of them I know are starters. And even the non starters are core special teams guys. Sheesh that sucks for them!

If we don't score 30 or 40 points on them I will be extremely disappointing with our team. We should be able to win this game with our eyes closed!

BassCowboy33
quote:
Ummm... Chicago's injury report after last nights game!

http://www.espn.com/nfl/injuries?team=chi

Several guys listed as questionable, but I doubt many on this list have any shot at playing on a short week:

Lamar Houston is done for the year
Goldman High Ankle Sprain is done for multiple weeks
Trevathan is having thumb surgery tomorrow
Cutler messed up his throwing thumb
Kyle Fuller is recovering from knee surgery and is still a few weeks away probably
Amos & Callahan had a concussion Monday Night so doubtful
Carey hurt his hammy Monday so good luck with that too.

So by my count they are down 2 starting LB'ers and their starting NT for sure. They will also most likely be missing 3 DBs. That's 6 possible guys missing on defense and 4 of them I know are starters. And even the non starters are core special teams guys. Sheesh that sucks for them!

If we don't score 30 or 40 points on them I will be extremely disappointing with our team. We should be able to win this game with our eyes closed!

Dallas has opened as a +7.5 favorite. Chicago might be one of the two or three worst teams in the league.

I'd be surprised if Cutler plays. Their O-line is so bad that Dallas might be able to terrorize Hoyer, even with their lack of linemen. Their run D is atrocious. Just an all around bad team.
jtstanley4621
AG
If he plays and we lose to Hoyer, we should literally force ourselves to lose every remaining game to get Myles
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Fans on another board saying Jaylon Smith in an interview today has said his nerve has started re-firing.

If this kid gets on the field THIS YEAR I will take back everything I said about that pick.

If this is true, this is major news.

I don't know how much of an impact he'll have because he's had no mini camps or training camp and was injured so long...but our LB sitch after Lee and Durant is so bad it can't hurt. On top of this, he might get valuable game reps and get better as the year goes on and then go into next year as a much needed leader on the D and a guy who lessens the burden on Lee.

EDITED: Just heard the interview...at no point did I hear him say "nerve is re-firing" or anything like that. He's basically still towing the "I'm improving every day and keeping a great attitude " line he has been since day one.

My apologies if anyone got excited over this.
Ag Natural
AG
I never understood why you need a nerve in your knee anyway. Run some dirt on it!
PooDoo
AG
Comparatively, so far, Myles Jack only has 2 more tackles than Jaylon Smith has... So, we've got that going for us.

Seriously, having Smith & Lee as our nickel LB's would give us some serious flexibility. Sub Wilbur in as an edge rusher & see what happens.
Ag Natural
AG
quote:
Comparatively, so far, Myles Jack only has 2 more tackles than Jaylon Smith has... So, we've got that going for us.

Seriously, having Smith & Lee as our nickel LB's would give us some serious flexibility. Sub Wilbur in as an edge rusher & see what happens.

Actually, one of Smith's greatest attributes is his pass rushing ability. It would be an absolute boost to get him on the field.
PooDoo
AG
I was just looking at Romo's contract... After this year Jerry has paid him $127,422,458!
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
i wouldn't count on that Smith stuff being true. i heard a lot of the interview and at no point did he use the words nerve is re-firing. he just said things are improving but he can't get into too much detail. guess we'll find out soon enough.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
I was just looking at Romo's contract... After this year Jerry has paid him $127,422,458!

I was just watching Jerry McGuire on TV tonight... This was only 20 years ago and yet, spoiler alert, he gets a 4 year 11 million contract at the end and he breaks down in tears.
jr15aggie
AG
Chicago just activated Matt Barkley from the practice squad... Cutler will not be on the active roster this week! That's just another nail in Chicago's coffin. JG might as well go ahead and resign if he can't win this game... and if he doesn't win it convincingly it should be serious consideration for firing at the end of the season no matter what.
MGS
quote:

What a deal, only $64 million per playoff win.
RedlineAg08
STFU and get out of here
jr15aggie
AG
Keep hearing more and more about Maleik Collins. Coaches, scouts, etc really like what he's put on film. I hear Crawford possibly playing a lot more DE will have more to do with getting Collins in the field than anything else.

I can't help but feel some of this is because he's simply exceeding expectations for a rookie that missed most of training camp. But still, a lot of people were hyping him up after last week so we might have a player here.
RedlineAg08
I agree. We needed bodies in the middle and he looks like he has the potiental to be a solid player for us.
jr15aggie
AG
I'm so conflicted...

On the one hand... Screw you Jerry and your Hogs.

On the other... God bless Jerry and the Cowboys!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.