*** COWBOYS 2016 Season ***

280,292 Views | 3441 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ag Natural
ac
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The only way Romo could command a #1 & 2 would be for him to replace an injured Dak & win the Super Bowl. And even at that, if that scenario were to play out I would think that #9 would have enough decent sense to retire on that note. At the age of 37 & coming off 2 "lost years" he is worth a 2nd round pick at best. I don't really think his performance on Sunday will increase or diminish his trade value. He is what he is and it's what another team is willing to give up for him.

That being said, the Cowboys are doing the right thing by playing him on Sunday. He needs to shake of the rust and get some playing time in should an emergency require him to take the field in post-season. And you don't want to risk an injury to Dak. Look at Carr & Mariota.
DannyDuberstein
AG
His value will be very dependent on who and how many teams are in the market looking to get over the championship hump. 2-3 suitors could drive a surprising pick.
Macarthur
DannyDuberstein said:

His value will be very dependent on who and how many teams are in the market looking to get over the championship hump. 2-3 suitors could drive a surprising pick.
See, I'm with you.

If romo goes in and looks somewhat close to what he was, I think they get a 1st for him. We are talking about the one position that can make the diff in teams being mediocre or a legit SB contender. You telling me Cleveland is happy to start next year w RG3 ?
Macarthur
How about the jets? You don't think they would love to have romo? Broncos? SF? Bears?
ramblin_ag02
AG
One big problem with a trade is Romo's contract. If Jerry hadn't restructured him a million times, then we wouldn't owe him so much on the back end of his contract, and we could get more value in a trade. As is, I think most teams would rather us cut him and then bid with money and not draft picks. I doubt anyone offers us more than 4th, because there is no way he is on the roster next year.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Imho it'll be the Jets, Bears, Broncos, or Rams. Look out for the Rams as an underrated player in this.
corleoneAg99
AG
Macarthur said:

How about the jets? You don't think they would love to have romo? Broncos? SF? Bears?

The issue isn't teams who will want him...it's paying a premium price of two top 100 picks to do it when all those teams you mentioned need serious rebuilds which requires picks.

Broncos aren't a rebuild but we really think Elway is going to throw premium resources at the QB issue after the way he's carried himself?

Believe it when I see it.
birdman
You need to have two teams interested. Everybody knows that Dallas will cut Romo if they can't trade him. If teams aren't competing for him, then rest of NFL will wait for his release. Same thing happened with Mark Sanchez.

The ideal scenario would be like Broncos and Manning a few years ago. A team that needs quarterback for final piece.

Another scenario would be a team with young and talented quarterback who needs work. Romo would be a mentor and bridge for few years to get the young quarterback seasoned.
BassCowboy33
Macarthur said:

DannyDuberstein said:

See, I'm with you.

If romo goes in and looks somewhat close to what he was, I think they get a 1st for him. We are talking about the one position that can make the diff in teams being mediocre or a legit SB contender. You telling me Cleveland is happy to start next year w RG3 ?

Cleveland would be better off drafting a QB than trading a pick for one or two years of a guy who won't be there four years down the road.
BassCowboy33
birdman said:

You need to have two teams interested. Everybody knows that Dallas will cut Romo if they can't trade him. If teams aren't competing for him, then rest of NFL will wait for his release. Same thing happened with Mark Sanchez.

The ideal scenario would be like Broncos and Manning a few years ago. A team that needs quarterback for final piece.

Another scenario would be a team with young and talented quarterback who needs work. Romo would be a mentor and bridge for few years to get the young quarterback seasoned.

It'd likely be a team that is "a quarterback away" from the SB or, at least, contention. Someone like Denver, maybe a Chicago, or, dare I say it, Houston.
Ag Natural
AG
Does anyone have the financials on cutting or trading Romo? Jones has already suggested that they just keep him as the backup. It might just be posturing buy there something to the financial impact regardless of what picks you get back.
BMX Bandit
http://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2016/11/15/dallas-cowboys-total-2017-salary-cap-impact-if-cowboys-trade-tony-romo-in-offseason/

BassCowboy33
Ag Natural said:

Does anyone have the financials on cutting or trading Romo? Jones has already suggested that they just keep him as the backup. It might just be posturing buy there something to the financial impact regardless of what picks you get back.

https://www.google.com/amp/cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2016/11/15/dallas-cowboys-total-2017-salary-cap-impact-if-cowboys-trade-tony-romo-in-offseason/amp/?client=safari

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nbcdfw.com/blogs/blue-star/-So-you-want-to-trade-or-cut-Tony-Romo--Well-Its-not-cheap-398131121.html%3Famp%3Dy?client=safari

From what I understand, you save money by trading him instead of cutting him.
PooDoo
AG
birdman said:

I hope not. The Colts cut Manning and the Broncos signed him as a free agent.
Macarthur
ramblin_ag02 said:

One big problem with a trade is Romo's contract. If Jerry hadn't restructured him a million times, then we wouldn't owe him so much on the back end of his contract, and we could get more value in a trade. As is, I think most teams would rather us cut him and then bid with money and not draft picks. I doubt anyone offers us more than 4th, because there is no way he is on the roster next year.
If they don't work a deal, I think it has much more to do with $ and the contract than what teams would be willing to give up for him.
PatAg
AG
corleoneAg99 said:

Houston is dropping a 1 and a 2 for Romo after paying Brock and needing to fill more than a few spots on the team via the draft?

Elway seems like the kind of guy who will just pay the sticker price of a 1 and a 2 when he was willing to go into this season with a spare and a rookie?

Ok.

We can just agree to disagree. I don't think teams will pay that premium for a guy who hasn't been able to stay on the field for two years. We'll see.
How did that work out for them this year in Denver?
corleoneAg99
AG
PatAg said:

corleoneAg99 said:

Houston is dropping a 1 and a 2 for Romo after paying Brock and needing to fill more than a few spots on the team via the draft?

Elway seems like the kind of guy who will just pay the sticker price of a 1 and a 2 when he was willing to go into this season with a spare and a rookie?

Ok.

We can just agree to disagree. I don't think teams will pay that premium for a guy who hasn't been able to stay on the field for two years. We'll see.
How did that work out for them this year in Denver?

Injuries caught up and they lost guys to FA coming off a SB win.

And they also traded up to take Paxton Lynch in the draft.

All in all it's working pretty well in Denver these days, right? And now they're gonna hand Jerry a 1 and a 2 for a 37 year old major injury risk?

Again, I'll believe it when I see it.
Mozart Paintings
AG
Denver is the reigning super bowl champs. I'd say things are just fine there even if they missed the playoffs.
Chipotlemonger
AG
This is terrible logic
Mozart Paintings
AG
Well.... I was responding to "how did that work out for Denver this year". In hindsight my post was dumb.... this year it did not work out. Agreed.

My point was that the way they are going about things in general is fine.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Ah miscommunication for both of us, no worries.
PatAg
AG
I'm not saying any team SHOULD give up a 1 or 2, but I think someone will.
Agnzona
Probably a 3 at best with a conditional 2 based on games played.
BassCowboy33
Agnzona said:

Probably a 3 at best with a conditional 2 based on games played.

You might also be able to swing a lineman in there. Maybe an older guy who can get 6-8 sacks a season. A Julius Peppers-style situational rusher.
jr15aggie
AG
As I watch games today I think the outcome that I'm most wanting is for Seattle to lose and get the #4 seed and play the Giants in the 1st round. I'm thinking Seattle at home will knock out the G-Men and I do not fear Seattle one bit if they have to come to our house (they have been terrible away from home most of the season).

Generally speaking, we are the clear #1 team in the NFC and I don't fear anybody. Our pass rush has really come into its own late in the season and I think, if healthy, we are going to be a real problem for anybody we face.
BassCowboy33
jr15aggie said:

As I watch games today I think the outcome that I'm most wanting is for Seattle to lose and get the #4 seed and play the Giants in the 1st round. I'm thinking Seattle at home will knock out the G-Men and I do not fear Seattle one bit if they have to come to our house (they have been terrible away from home most of the season).

Generally speaking, we are the clear #1 team in the NFC and I don't fear anybody. Our pass rush has really come into its own late in the season and I think, if healthy, we are going to be a real problem for anybody we face.

I am rooting for whatever (1) keeps Green Bay out and (2) sets up a Dallas-Detroit Divisional Rd game.
Reginald Cousins
S
Lee on reduced or nonexistent roll.

Love know it alls.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
toucan82 said:

14-2

Mark it down

From page one
Crazy
Chipotlemonger
AG
toucan82 said:

14-2

Mark it down
Agnzona
Cowboys need a backup QB for next year. Cannot keep Sanchez.....
JAggie2007
AG
Agnzona said:

I don't know, the #2 guy today looked pretty good.
gougler08
AG
JAggie2007 said:

Agnzona said:

I don't know, the #2 guy today looked pretty good.

Romo isn't going to be a Cowboy in 2017
toucan82
toucan82 said:

14-2

Mark it down

This is bullcrap
jteagle
AG
toucan82 said:

toucan82 said:

14-2

Mark it down

This is bullcrap
If Sanchez was half the QB that Dak or Tony was today they would have been 14-2.
FTAggies
Giants look good, starting to worry about a repeat of 2009

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.