*** COWBOYS 2016 Season ***

280,306 Views | 3441 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ag Natural
jr15aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PooDoo said:

Is it just me or did Cleary look pretty good filling in for Smith?
Chaz Green looked pretty good too when he filled in. Gotta think it's a function of this O-line just being really good and coached really well. Also possibly speaks highly of Ronald Leary. That guy is a really good guard and is going to make some good money this offseason (more than we will be able to pay him).
corleoneAg99
AG
birdman said:

The Cowboys have been very good in 2nd and 3rd round lately.

2010 Sean Lee
2011 Bruce Carter, DeMarco Murray
2012 Tyrone Crawford
2013 Gavin Escobar, Terrence Williams
2014 DeMarcus Lawrence
2015 Randy Gregory, Chaz Green
2016 Jaylon Smith, Malik Collins

Most teams would be happy with that from 2nd and 3rd round picks.

Yeah I mean it depends on how far you want to go back, right?

Lee is great when he's on the field...this year has been good on the availability front but over his career him dropping made sense.

Carter was largely a bust but DeMarco was an amazing pick for sure.

Crawford was a good pick but has been up and down since getting paid...good pick tho.

Escobar was one of the worst picks ever and TWill is basically a JAG....like Brice Butler seems more impressive than him most of the time.

DLaw took a 2 AND a 3 to get and he's been ok when either not hurt or suspended? Worth two top 100 picks based on production? Not for me.

Gregory is an amazing bust so far and Chaz Green really is an incomplete as a third round pick...at best he's Jeremy Parnell? Worth a third round pick given needs elsewhere? Again not for me.

Jaylon Smith is again an incomplete and no real feeling for where that's headed. Collins has been good as a rotation interior guy for sure. Good pick.

So yeah, they've had some good picks but my point was really more centered on when they've used high picks or traded picks over the past few years(since Mo) and how those actions have been largely underwhelming but the team has improved despite that because their late round and UFA acquisitions have been amazing.
corleoneAg99
AG
And just to reinforce that, they just added Jonathan Cooper off the street for nothing....that's a guy they've liked for a while(going back to draft day) and they just got him basically for nothing.

They're good at that kind of stuff for sure.
MooreTrucker
AG
TWill is one of those really frustrating types that's either REALLY good or REALLY not. Makes amazing catches or has bad brainfarts.
Mozart Paintings
AG
MooreTrucker said:

TWill is one of those really frustrating types that's either REALLY good or REALLY not. Makes amazing catches or has bad brainfarts.

Reminds me of Patrick Creighton
Goldie Wilson
I drove bus said:

MooreTrucker said:

I still have flashbacks to that playoff game against the Giants
BowSowy
AG
This is the last year of TWill's contract, right? I will not be sad to see him leave.
jtstanley4621
AG
Dan 07 said:

I drove bus said:

MooreTrucker said:

One of the games that contributes to Romo's "choking" image, when he was comedically wide open and managed to somehow miss a ball in the lights.
Mozart Paintings
AG
Dan 07 said:

I drove bus said:

MooreTrucker said:

Yep. Horrible moment.
Gigem Trevas
MooreTrucker said:

He was very good in the playoffs in 2014.
corleoneAg99
AG
BTW in terms of matchups for the playoffs both sooner and later, Dallas finished 2nd in overall DVOA and 3rd in offensive DVOA; 17th in defense which is pretty good and better than I thought they were.

The other top 5 offenses by DVOA? ATL 1, NE 2, GB 4....

That said by DVOA Dallas has the best defense of those teams in the NFC....NE is better on defense and special teams.

Also NYG finished 2nd in defensive DVOA, 2nd overall, so i'll eat my crow that they would finish the year an elite defense as I believe jr said they would. They are absolutely a dominant defense right now...only DEN was better overall and that's mainly due to their historically great pass defense because their run D was pretty meh.

jr15aggie
AG
I could see T-Will coming back depending on what kind of money he commands in the open market. Gotta consider that he is on the field all the time. On those running plays when Dez gets a breather, T-Will is typically still in there going in motion, lining up tight, blocking, etc.

I'm no scout and I'm not sure how effective his blocking is or how effective he is running off defenders so guys like Beasley can wreak havoc, but I get the feeling they like him for the combined body of work.
jtstanley4621
AG
I wouldn't mind adding Josh Reynolds to our WR corps
jr15aggie
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

Yeah, couldn't help but think the same thing this year. Guy was really good for us! Any idea what his draft stock is? He's a pretty skinny guy and I'm unsure about how well he would transition into the NFL.

As an Aggie I've seen his talent and can easily see him in the NFL as a #2 or #3 WR... but something about him reminds me of the typical really good college player that ends up floating around practice squads and never really making it.
jtstanley4621
AG
jr15aggie said:

jtstanley4621 said:

Yeah, couldn't help but think the same thing this year. Guy was really good for us! Any idea what his draft stock is? He's a pretty skinny guy and I'm unsure about how well he would transition into the NFL.

As an Aggie I've seen his talent and can easily see him in the NFL as a #2 or #3 WR... but something about him reminds me of the typical really good college player that ends up floating around practice squads and never really making it.
I think that some NFL team is gonna draft him and be pretty surprised with what they get. He's not huge, but he has great hands and runs good routes.
jr15aggie
AG
^^^ To answer my own question... at a quick glance it looks like Josh is considered the 20-25th ranked WR. Probably puts him in the 7th round or undrafted category. But a lot can change between now and draft day. No idea if he's going to the senior bowl or anything.

Also, noticing how Allen and Garrett are getting most of the love at DE from the early scouts. There are a handful of really good DEs coming out and it's possible we will have a shot at one of them. I saw Barnett (kid from Tennessee) ranked in the 20's on one site. Um, yes please!

PS: It's absolutely disgusting how many Bama players are considered 1st rounders right now. Literally disgusting! And the worst part is they won't even miss a beat next year... they'll just reload and kick our ass all over the field!
Rudyjax
AG
Josh is very underrated and the team that gets him will love him. All he does is make plays.

I think he's the 18th rated per McSahy.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
I think Josh will be a 4th round guy imho. Dude has got to add some pounds.

I think if this O added a true deep speed guy it would be almost impossible to stop.

After getting a 3rd for Romo Id be great with a first 4 rounds of:

1: DE
2: WR
3: T
3: CB (one of Carr or Claiborne wont be retained maybe even both)
4: LB or DT
Ag Natural
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

I think if this O added a true deep speed guy it would be almost impossible to stop.

There are a ton of small WRs thriving in the league right now. Josh will be fine and he absolutely should not add weight. That'd be a horrible mistake.
jtstanley4621
AG
Ag Natural said:

Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

There are a ton of small WRs thriving in the league right now. Josh will be fine and he absolutely should not add weight. That'd be a horrible mistake.
Josh isn't as much tall as he is somewhat lanky. I think he could add a few more pounds of muscle to his frame and not sacrifice much in terms of speed or mobility. I think he can absolutely play in the NFL either way though. He did what he did in the SEC against great DB competition.
jr15aggie
AG
Quote:

I think LB is a much bigger priority for our team than people think. I'd easily put it right there with D-line. Considering where we are drafting, we are probably much more likely to get a Day 1 starting LB with our 1st round pick than we are DE.

Assuming Romo is traded, we really need to get quality, regardless of position in this upcoming draft. After the 2017 season we will have a lot of cap room (Romo's dead money gone) to go after a couple really nice free agents and fill any remaining holes we might have. We are going to have a VERY nice 3 year window after this year to really take advantage of the cap... Thanks Dak!!!!
Macarthur
jr15aggie said:

Quote:

I think LB is a much bigger priority for our team than people think. I'd easily put it right there with D-line. Considering where we are drafting, we are probably much more likely to get a Day 1 starting LB with our 1st round pick than we are DE.

Assuming Romo is traded, we really need to get quality, regardless of position in this upcoming draft. After the 2017 season we will have a lot of cap room (Romo's dead money gone) to go after a couple really nice free agents and fill any remaining holes we might have. We are going to have a VERY nice 3 year window after this year to really take advantage of the cap... Thanks Dak!!!!
Depends on jaylon smith. There is some pretty serious talk that he will be 100% and ready to go next year.

I think DE is still the big need w/ CB pretty close. Tank has a bad back. No idea on Gregory's future and Irving might get a big deal this offseason.
BassCowboy33
Macarthur said:

jr15aggie said:

Quote:

Depends on jaylon smith. There is some pretty serious talk that he will be 100% and ready to go next year.

I think DE is still the big need w/ CB pretty close. Tank has a bad back. No idea on Gregory's future and Irving might get a big deal this offseason.

Really? Everything that I've read has said that there has been nearly zero progress with the nerve in the knee. There was a Q&A on Dallascowboys.com a day or two ago that said Smith is still at square one.
jr15aggie
AG
Lol, yeah, you can't say LB around here without bringing up Jaylon Smith. My personal approach is to assume he won't make it and I'll get hyped if something changes.

So in the meantime we really do need another starting quality LB for next year.
corleoneAg99
AG
Well they did use a high second round pick on the guy when they had immediate needs to address.

He should be brought up. It's early but so far that was an awful decision.
Macarthur
BassCowboy33 said:

Macarthur said:

jr15aggie said:

Quote:

Really? Everything that I've read has said that there has been nearly zero progress with the nerve in the knee. There was a Q&A on Dallascowboys.com a day or two ago that said Smith is still at square one.

Todd archer made a comment the other day that made it seem pretty certain. Archer isn't exactly a sunshine pumper.
BassCowboy33
Macarthur said:

BassCowboy33 said:

Macarthur said:

jr15aggie said:

Quote:

Todd archer made a comment the other day that made it seem pretty certain. Archer isn't exactly a sunshine pumper.

Interesting.
Goldie Wilson
ce1994 said:

If and when Romo gets hurt and Precott is sent out there I want this thing bumped. It will be mass suicide for Cowboys fans and I just wanted to say "I told you so".
When do y'all wanna get together for the mass suicide?
Ag Natural
AG
corleoneAg99 said:

Well they did use a high second round pick on the guy when they had immediate needs to address.

He should be brought up. It's early but so far that was an awful decision.
Yeah, it's really killed the season... er no it hasn't at all.

Overreacting to "draft value" decisions gets you nowhere. The goal is to build a team and its very rare that one pick in isolation is THAT critical. The reality here is the gambled on Smith with a full understanding that he probably wouldn't play for a year. The made that gamble because they think he's a generational talent. Its pretty evident now that they really like Damian Wilson along with Hitchens so they didn't feel LB was as critical as we all assumed it was. They even went a brought back Durant as an insurance policy.

At any rate, the defense is playing several levels above where we all thought they would. Looking at the guys they passed on to grab Smith.. maybe Noah Spence would have made a difference. Myles Jack has his own injury issues. Ragland got hurt. There's not exactly a bunch of rookies tearing it up this year on defense. Ironically Bosa and Ramsey are the two stand outs. Looking back, the Cowboys couldn't have screwed up that pick if they tried. Any of Bosa, Ramsey or Elliot would be making us happy right now.
jr15aggie
AG
Yeah, you really can't bash the Cowboys whenever they already got Zeke, Dak, Brown, & Collins in a single draft... that alone is already one of the best drafts in Cowboys history (assuming these guys keep it up or improve like you expect most rookies to do).

If Jaylon gets on the field and produces, man, talk about a draft that can set you up for a decade. But if not, eh, Cowboys still killed it in the 2016 draft!!!
corleoneAg99
AG
Link to where I said it killed the season?

Strawmen are fun, tho.

It was a bad decision.

They've made a lot of good decisions.

But that doesn't mean that this wasn't a bad decision.

And as I said, it's early...he could fully recover and produce at the level expected of him before the injury. Totally possible.

Carry on, bros.
corleoneAg99
AG
And yes there are several defensive players, that were high on a lot of draft boards, that they passed on.

Noah Spence, Chris Jones, A'Shawn, Jarran Reed, etc....just to name a few.

And as we've seen they're happy to take risky picks like Randy Gregory so not sure why they were hesitant with a guy like Spence.

Again, this particular decision was bad. It happens.
RedlineAg08
Ahhh, A'shawn or Jarran Reed in the middle of our defense was all I wanted. Would have loved if they drafted Mackenzie Alexander as well.
Macarthur
corleoneAg99 said:

And yes there are several defensive players, that were high on a lot of draft boards, that they passed on.

Noah Spence, Chris Jones, A'Shawn, Jarran Reed, etc....just to name a few.

And as we've seen they're happy to take risky picks like Randy Gregory so not sure why they were hesitant with a guy like Spence.

Again, this particular decision was bad. It happens.

So I'm clear, if jaylon comes back next year and is fantastic for a decade, do you still think it's a bad decision?
corleoneAg99
AG
Pretty sure I stated that several times, yes.

And it's of particular interest to me now more than ever because of how close they are to a Superbowl.

They could have really use a player that was going to play at that pick.

So yes, for the record, if he comes back and is an all pro or whatever than of course it wasn't a bad decision. Until then, it's one of their few bad decisions.

Again, they are allowed to have a few bad ones, right? That's not burning them at the stake is it?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.