*** COWBOYS 2016 Season ***

280,446 Views | 3441 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ag Natural
Macarthur
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:

Now, would all of those guys be helped by a pass rush? I completely agree they would. An NFL WR can't be covered forever, regardless of who you are. Maybe things will get better when Lawrence comes back, but I don't think that we will have anywhere near a good defense without MAJOR help at pass rusher. There were several times last night when Hoyer had a completely clean pocket to work from. I think the issues on this team are a pretty blatant result from Jerry to build up only the offense oftentimes at the expense of the defense, and that's frustrating.

Agree 100%
RedlineAg08
Carr is old and average. Agreed. We paid big money to a pretty good corner who's best days were behind him. But Jerry was desperate and he Jerry's stuff all the time.

This season is really the debut of Morris Claiborne in my opinion.
And he was never billed as Patrick Peterson. Peterson is 6'3 220lb. Claiborne is 5'10 180bs. They're different beasts. Peterson you put on any teams best receiver and he's faster, stronger, quicker, and most of the time bigger than his competition There isn't another corner in the NFL like him.

If you put Claiborne on the Mike Evans' of the NFL and expect good things, then you're asking for trouble. So they need to be more selective about his match-ups. Some teams he can follow around their best corner, and some teams he needs to be relegated to the slot receivers.

Ag Natural
AG
quote:
quote:
Carr and Claiborne are not bad. I think reasonable people can debate if they are mediocre to decent to possibly good, but they are not bad.

And the comment about pass rush is so critical. Go back and look at the Giants secondary the two years they won the SB. They were mediocre AT BEST. I think Carr and Claiborne could actually be considered a good tandem if there were a good pass rush, especially if you add Scandrick. Those three are not the best in the league, but you could do A LOT worse.
Haha are you saying I'm unreasonable?

I just do not think that either of them have lived up to what they were supposed to be. Claiborne has been okay this year I guess, but he has pretty much not lived up to his first round billing which is being a shut down corner of the caliber of Patrick Peterson. Be that a result of injuries, or whatever, he has not done that. Carr is at best about average as well. He certainly hasn't lived up to the amount we're paying him. I do also think that Scandrick is a decent CB.

Now, would all of those guys be helped by a pass rush? I completely agree they would. An NFL WR can't be covered forever, regardless of who you are. Maybe things will get better when Lawrence comes back, but I don't think that we will have anywhere near a good defense without MAJOR help at pass rusher. There were several times last night when Hoyer had a completely clean pocket to work from. I think the issues on this team are a pretty blatant result from Jerry to build up only the offense oftentimes at the expense of the defense, and that's frustrating.
Well, he did spend two recent second round picks on pass rushers. He apparently just chose the wrong guys.
jr15aggie
AG
I've been beating the Zeke drum from before the draft so I have to say some good things about my man after last night. Kid looked good at everything last night! When there wasn't much of a hole he fought and got that extra yard or two almost every time. When there was a hole he showed his burst and made them pay for multiple 10+ yard runs. When it was time to pass block I saw at least 2 times where he saved the play by finding and dealing with the defender that broke through the line. And lastly, they finally got him the ball on a screen pass and he took it for 15 (please tell me they are going to do this more often!).
corleoneAg99
AG
For whichever one of the Jerry guys who was downplaying Jalen Ramsey because, well, whatever the "reason" was...

Per Nathan Jahnke from PFF, Ramsey is allowing 6.3 yards per catch which is the lowest IN THE LEAGUE for CB's who have been targeted 10+ times.

So the narrative that Jalen Ramsey hasn't been good so far is....wrong...faulty....means you're not watching the games.

Any of those, really.

Oh and by the way, Zeke looked great yesterday against one off the worst teams in football and in general seems to be getting better every week.

This isn't about Zeke so don't quote me talking about that.

Cheers.
corleoneAg99
AG
Collins out 6-10 weeks with ligament damage.

Ron Leary!
BassCowboy33
And that's why you keep Ron Leary. Imagine if we'd have traded him for Josh McCown?
PooDoo
AG
quote:
For whichever one of the Jerry guys who was downplaying Jalen Ramsey because, well, whatever the "reason" was...

Per Nathan Jahnke from PFF, Ramsey is allowing 6.3 yards per catch which is the lowest IN THE LEAGUE for CB's who have been targeted 10+ times.

So the narrative that Jalen Ramsey hasn't been good so far is....wrong...faulty....means you're not watching the games.

Any of those, really.

Oh and by the way, Zeke looked great yesterday against one off the worst teams in football and in general seems to be getting better every week.

This isn't about Zeke so don't quote me talking about that.

Cheers.

Jalen's a good tackler... plays 8 yards off giving the up the underneath and makes the tackle.

He's given up 2 TD's that I've seen.

How many wins has he improved the Jaguars?

Again, I was anti Ramsey because of his lack of play making, cover instincts, and injury history not his athletic ability or tackling.
corleoneAg99
AG
His cover ability has been stellar 3 games into his career.

Watch the games.

And he's improved the Jags win total as much as Zeke has for the Cowboys.
PooDoo
AG
How many games did the Cowboys win without Romo last year?
Reginald Cousins
S
quote:
PooDoo
AG
https://twitter.com/SelzerFX/status/780265825768972288?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
RedlineAg08
Is this real? You're saying we've won those 2 games because of Zeke?
corleoneAg99
AG
quote:

I love these guys. Best trolls and or fanboys on this site. It's not even close.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:

I'm just taking a guess here at what he meant by that comment... last year we were abysmal without Romo. This year we've already won 2 games and only lost the other by 1 point. This team is better.

Unfortunately we couldn't draft everybody we wanted or should have... 31 other teams were picking too. But from last year to this year this team is better.
RedlineAg08
Don't try to defend that.. lol
Reginald Cousins
S
quote:

Go be miserable somewhere else.
RedlineAg08
Sorry for not toeing the line. I'll do better, try me.
Reginald Cousins
S
quote:
Sorry for not toeing the line. I'll do better, try me.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
i love how the Jones family is getting accolades for not trading Leary.

like this was some big wise accomplishment.

it was COMMON FREAKIN SENSE you don't trade your 6th best OL/main depth guy for a backup QB. in fact, unless there is a serious impact guy return coming your way, you probably don't trade him at all.

jr15aggie
AG
Happens every year... the second we have an "extra" starter that is playing a back-up role everybody wants to trade him for some scrub. And every year at some point we are glad we kept him.

Generally speaking, once training camp hits the only reason you let go of good players is if there is a younger/cheaper player that is ~ just as good. Otherwise if there is a really good player on your team and he's not hurting your cap, you keep the good player even if he isn't a starter.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Who's defending... we are stating basic facts. You can read into it whatever you want I guess, but the facts are that this team (despite our issues) is much better this year.

We can go on and on about coulda/shoulda/didn't with Ramsey or anybody else, but the truth is this team is winning with the players they have. Had we gone Ramsey #1 then it's VERY possible we draft some JAG running back in the 4th round instead of Dak. I am 100% happy with who we drafted because at the end of the day we found our future franchise QB... that may not have happened if we had drafted differently in the 1st/2nd rounds.

PS: As of right now last years draft has given us 3 guys currently starting (Dak, Zeke & Collins) and another heavy rotation guy (Brown). Considering how most teams live a nightmare trying to find a franchise QB (ask Houston), this draft was a grand slam! And that's not even considering the possibility if Jaylon Smith makes a full recovery.
RedlineAg08
Listen man, I don't care who the cowboys picked in the draft anymore. That ended months ago. I'm happy with Zeke and hoping he tears up the NFL. Dude's on my FF team and 140 yards with no TDs pisses me off a little bit though.

He was inferring that we're winning this year because of our pickup as Zeke. It was a direct reply to a conversation that was started about Ramsey doing well and Zeke looking good but against bad competition. And previously he tried to say Ramsey isn't actually playing well.

I agree with you, we are definitely better this year. I'm not arguing that. I was joking with you that his comment was so out there that you can't try to spin it.
jr15aggie
AG
That's fine, I'm not mad. I think words are hard to interpret sometimes. I personally didn't take the comment to mean we are winning because of Zeke... I took it as "whatever we did in the offseason at least made us better".

But it is an interesting thing to ponder... if we had taken Ramsey #1 it would have changed our entire draft and we could be sitting here watching Mark Sanchez take snaps instead of Dak. Pure luck getting Dak and I'll take it every time!
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
good to see you guys getting along now. i don't like you guys fighting...you know how it makes me feel!
PatAg
AG
quote:
That's fine, I'm not mad. I think words are hard to interpret sometimes. I personally didn't take the comment to mean we are winning because of Zeke... I took it as "whatever we did in the offseason at least made us better".

But it is an interesting thing to ponder... if we had taken Ramsey #1 it would have changed our entire draft and we could be sitting here watching Mark Sanchez take snaps instead of Dak. Pure luck getting Dak and I'll take it every time!

The reason he took it as an endorsemnt of zeke over ramsey is because Thats the exact topic they have been having a back and forth on.
PatAg
AG
You made the mistake of reading a post on here with a reasonable and open mind.
RedlineAg08
We did it with your well-being in mind, buddy.
jeffdjohnson
I think taking a running back in the top 5 isn't great value. I would trade Elliott for Ramsey right now, no questions.

https://theringer.com/meet-jalen-ramsey-next-nfl-shutdown-corner-7a0b6ca7591b#.c03423mf2

Having said that, the Cowboys had an A+ draft. Landing Prescott, who makes 400k, in the 4th round is like winning an NFL lottery ticket. There is no reason to nitpick good fortune. Grabbing Ramsey, Collins, Prescott and someday a healthy Jaylon Smith may have just been too unfair.
corleoneAg99
AG
If Dak keeps it up would be hard to disagree.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
Having said that, the Cowboys had an A+ draft.
i think it has the potential for being an A+ draft but not quite ready to assign that grade yet.

i think anytime you can land a true franchise QB that gets you closer and closer to an A grade so they have that going for them. however i'm still wondering about the Jaylon Smith pick when they coulda had an immediate impact guy like Spence instead. also, how much if anything did they know about Tapper's injury?

i will go ahead and chime in on the Zeke/Ramsey talk. i was pretty even on both but slightly leaning Ramsey on draft day. wasn't upset at the Elliott pick but my contention was why pick Elliott if you have Morris, McFadden, and Dunbar? OR why go out and get Morris if you had your heart set on Zeke when you coulda used that Morris money to add another impact defender which they clearly badly need right now.
Ag Natural
AG
Based on what we've seen of this team so far.. neither Zeke or Ramsey would be considered a home run pick for this season. The corners have been decent and the secondary overall has been the strength of the defense. Meanwhile, on offense I don't think anyone would argue that Zeke is a game changer yet but you can see the potential.

Looking at this draft though, I don't see anyone knocking my socks off that were considered top 15 caliber picks. Wentz and Tunsil are very good but the Cowboys weren't picking them anyway. There are a bunch of guys hurt. Maybe Buckner who went #7 to San Fran. He looks pretty good and would have helped this dline.

But really, Zeke was a fine pick. He'll have some big moments for the Cowboys.
PooDoo
AG
Corleone calls me a Jerry guy because I like Elliott over Ramsey. He complains about the Cowboys draft. Jerry this Jerry that. Doom and gloom.

Complaining about a draft with draft picks from rounds 1,3,4,6, starting or contributing.

corleoneAg99
AG
Actually you're a Jerry guy because you rubber stamp everything he does and anyone who questions him is just being contrarian or doom and gloom.

As for Ramsey vs. Zeke, Zeke is great but that doesn't mean Ramsey has been anything less than stellar so far which is what you've argued...that Ramsey isn't or hasn't been that good.

You were wrong, and will continue to be, regarding that point.

As for being a Jerry guy, if the occasional division title and early round of playoffs out is your thing, he's your guy pal!
corleoneAg99
AG
quote:
Based on what we've seen of this team so far.. neither Zeke or Ramsey would be considered a home run pick for this season. The corners have been decent and the secondary overall has been the strength of the defense. Meanwhile, on offense I don't think anyone would argue that Zeke is a game changer yet but you can see the potential.

Looking at this draft though, I don't see anyone knocking my socks off that were considered top 15 caliber picks. Wentz and Tunsil are very good but the Cowboys weren't picking them anyway. There are a bunch of guys hurt. Maybe Buckner who went #7 to San Fran. He looks pretty good and would have helped this dline.

But really, Zeke was a fine pick. He'll have some big moments for the Cowboys.

Yeah I mean they have played 3 games so none of the picks are home runs outside of Wentz, I guess...and even still that's only been 3 games.

The point was, and will continue to be, that Jerry fundamentally doesn't understand how draft value works and his draft history and the roster construction reflect that.

Subsequently, his playoff record post Jimmy is terrible and that's not a coincidence. It's because he's one of the worst GM's in football.

I have no doubt Zeke will be a top 5 back in the league and will have a ton of big moments....but that won't help the defense when they're getting gashed and gutted especially late in games because the depth and talent on that side of the ball is laughable.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.