*** COWBOYS 2016 Season ***

280,376 Views | 3441 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ag Natural
Macarthur
How long do you want to ignore this user?
jr15aggie said:

I've refrained from talking about Jaylon too much because it was way too early to get overly excited... it still sorta is but what the heck.

The guy is one heck of a good person and what little I allowed myself to read about him, he is a really great leader on and off the field. Somebody that will only strengthen what appears to be a very tight group of guys. I'm know he's already a part of the group, but his leadership will mean so much more to the team if he can ball out on the field.

In short, he's definitely one of those guys that, if he makes a name for himself on the field, will easily be able to get an NFL / TV job after his playing days if he wanted to.

THis is the really promising thing. If you read about him off the field, he's a really impressive kid.
BassCowboy33
Macarthur said:

Gigem Trevas said:

bdgol07 said:

Gigem Trevas said:

bonfarr said:

Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Ya lets ruin a guys life cause he smokes a lil weed.

A lil would be smoking a bowl a few times a month, Gregory and alot of these guys smoke enough to choke a hippo.

Still better than drinking and or prescription pain pills.

Drinking and prescription pills probably wouldn't have cost him a year's pay check. Therefore, you're wrong

Not what I meant. I'm saying the two massive issues the NFL has is players drinking and doing stupid stuff of the field see Josh Brent and also the players getting strung out on painkillers. Him smoking weed bothers me 0%. I would much rather a player smoke to deal with their issues than alcohol and pain pills.

This.

I realize he broke the rules and has to pay the price, but that still doesn't change the fact that the NFL has a huge problem here and hypocricy is at the heart of it.

They have no issue (seemingly) with guys getting addicted to pain killers that are prescribed by TEAM doctors, but we absoltely can't have guys smoking weed. They need to address this and quick. Medical pot is going to be a reality in virtually every state within a decade, IMO. This would be an opportunity for the league to take a leadership position and use their platform to educate the public on how pot is a much more effective and safe way for these guys to deal with pain issues. Take a medical approach and lead.

They won't change it until its no longer federal law. Also, there are comparatively few studies out there on long-term effects of weed to the heart, lungs, and brain (although logic suggests that, at best, it's null, and at worst, it's carcinogenic). Even earlier studies about the issue of it being nonhabit forming have come into question. It's stunning that such a popular drug has been studied so sparingly. Edit: Also, when researching for yourself, be careful. There are a lot of people with skin in the game who misrepresent data or provide faulty info on the subject--on both sides.

With that, I believe it should be federally legal, and completely understand the NFL's stance on the issue; however, I'd like to see them allow the use of "medicinal" weed for players, which obviously opens up a host of other issues.
Matsui
AG
Can a player have weed in his system, and the NFL/TEAM KNOWS IT, and he plays, gets seriously injured....I think there is a huge liability there.

And I know players have played drunk, but the team didn't "know" it since they weren't prescribing alcohol.
BassCowboy33
Matsui said:

Can a player have weed in his system, and the NFL/TEAM KNOWS IT, and he plays, gets seriously injured....I think there is a huge liability there.

And I know players have played drunk, but the team didn't "know" it since they weren't prescribing alcohol.

Yep.
jtstanley4621
AG
Ugh. If Gregory is smoking weed just to get high, that's one thing. But if he's actually smoking it to help with mental issues (weed has been shown to help with that kind of stuff in certain cases), it's quite absurd for them to suspend him like that. And he's banned from team facilities too I think. So now he's on his own entirely. 100 percent he will smoke weed again. The only way we get him back I would imagine is if we hire a full time handler for him. The NFL needs to change a lot in regards to how they view weed vis a vis alcohol, domestic violence, etc.
Gigem Trevas
jtstanley4621 said:

Ugh. If Gregory is smoking weed just to get high, that's one thing. But if he's actually smoking it to help with mental issues (weed has been shown to help with that kind of stuff in certain cases), it's quite absurd for them to suspend him like that. And he's banned from team facilities too I think. So now he's on his own entirely. 100 percent he will smoke weed again. The only way we get him back I would imagine is if we hire a full time handler for him. The NFL needs to change a lot in regards to how they view weed vis a vis alcohol, domestic violence, etc.

What's even worse is what happened in Buffalo. They had a player suspended just over a month ago for using medical marijuana to deal with his IBD. As someone who knows all too well what they go through it pissed me off that they did that to him. I'm amazed that as a linemen he could even keep his weight up while dealing with that. The fact that a guy was smoking weed to deal with a chronic pain from his condition is suspended because they can't take painkillers cause their intestines are ****ed up while Michael Floyd is somehow playing is ****ing stupid.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
the weed discussion probably needs its own thread.

back to the Cowboys and the playoffs....

hoping Detroit can pull off the stunner not because I don't wana play Seattle at some point, but because it'll keep either GB or the Giants from being the divisional round foe. i think we will be ok vs the Giants when all is said and done, but Rodger's being so on point right now does get me nervous.
jtstanley4621
AG
Not gonna lie, Packer-Giants winner was one of the matchups I least wanted to begin the playoffs.
Panama Red
AG
Sean Lee missed pro bowl, but AP first team all pro.
Gigem Trevas

hoping Detroit can pull off the stunner not because I don't wana play Seattle at some point, but because it'll keep either GB or the Giants from being the divisional round foe. i think we will be ok vs the Giants when all is said and done, but Rodger's being so on point right now does get me nervous.

The packers defense gives up points and the cowboys average 30 a game at home.
Rudyjax
AG
Who died and put you charge? ignore what you don't want to read.
Panama Red
AG
Unthought Known said:

You could use a joint dude. Chill....
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
seriously wtf.
Matsui
AG
The rules are the rules. The NFLPA signed off on them and he knowingly signed his contract with the Cowboys knowing the consequences. I would be willing to bet the Cowboys have staff assigned to Gregory as well.
Rudyjax
AG
Panama Red said:

Unthought Known said:

You could use a joint dude. Chill....

Who took your sense of humor?
jr15aggie
AG
Panama Red said:

Sean Lee missed pro bowl, but AP first team all pro.
The problem with the Pro Bowl voting for Sean Lee was that he is an "OLB". In that group are also all the 3-4 OLBs (basically DE's who's main job is to get the QB). So him being this beast of a 4-3 LB does not compare to the guys getting all the sacks as a 3-4 OLB. They need to adjust that so that these "rush ends" are in a different category. Because, let's face it, Pro Bowl appearances are a key factor when it's time for players to get into their team's ring of honor or the Hall of Fame. They need to get it right.

Glad the All Pro team has more sense than that.
bdgol07
AG
Macarthur said:

Gigem Trevas said:

bdgol07 said:

Gigem Trevas said:

bonfarr said:

A lil would be smoking a bowl a few times a month, Gregory and alot of these guys smoke enough to choke a hippo.

Drinking and prescription pills probably wouldn't have cost him a year's pay check. Therefore, you're wrong

Not what I meant. I'm saying the two massive issues the NFL has is players drinking and doing stupid stuff of the field see Josh Brent and also the players getting strung out on painkillers. Him smoking weed bothers me 0%. I would much rather a player smoke to deal with their issues than alcohol and pain pills.

This.

I realize he broke the rules and has to pay the price, but that still doesn't change the fact that the NFL has a huge problem here and hypocricy is at the heart of it.

They have no issue (seemingly) with guys getting addicted to pain killers that are prescribed by TEAM doctors, but we absoltely can't have guys smoking weed. They need to address this and quick. Medical pot is going to be a reality in virtually every state within a decade, IMO. This would be an opportunity for the league to take a leadership position and use their platform to educate the public on how pot is a much more effective and safe way for these guys to deal with pain issues. Take a medical approach and lead.

There's no way the NFL let's pot become a legal form of pain mgmt. It's a Pandora's box for role models and kids nowadays. Pills are managed and regulated, marijuana isn't
DannyDuberstein
AG
I think if they would just quit testing for it, the players will go figure it out on their own (i.e. non-team docs, etc) from a pain management perspective. Agree that it's very unlikely that the NFL docs will go down the road of prescribing it until it's fully legal.
jr15aggie
AG
Quote:

There's no way the NFL let's pot become a legal form of pain mgmt. It's a Pandora's box for role models and kids nowadays. Pills are managed and regulated, marijuana isn't

I don't have a dog in this fight and I honestly haven't followed the previous points in this debate. But I'm curious if there is a difference between legalizing it for pain management (AKA - "supporting" the drug) vs. simply not testing for it anymore.

As some have probably said, they don't do random alcohol screenings. The NFL obviously does not encourage drinking (nor is drinking illegal), but they don't punish alcohol abuse. I'm wondering if they could take the same stance on Pot... not encourage it, but not punish for it considering it is a legal medical substance in certain states.

I hate to sound too liberal because I'm the farthest thing from that, but there is a debate here. Sorry if I'm just re-posting what others have already said... I just needed something to type during my lunch break... carry on!
BMX Bandit
Doesn't it take 5 failed tests to get a year suspension?
DannyDuberstein
AG
I think so. First - which he failed before being drafted - just puts you in the protocol. 2nd allows you to play but you get docked 4 weeks of pay. 3rd is 4 weeks of actual suspension (beginning of 2016). 4th is 10 week suspension (next 10 games in 2016 after his 1st 4 week suspension). 5th is a year suspension, which he failed that one before finishing the first two suspensions. The time frame of the appeal process is the only reason he was able to squeeze in 2 games.
Mozart Paintings
AG
BMX Bandit said:

on The Ticket this morning David Moore said that between college, the combine, and now the NFL, he has 9 failed tests.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I think Nebraska basically quit testing him because he was smoking all the time. Failed tests in January and April 2014 and they said they'd kick him off for a 3rd failure. I'm 99% sure that didn't happen only because they didn't test him any more vs. he actually passed any tests. Word is that he was still smoking a ton, and he says he failed the combine test because he smoked so much in the fall through December. He says he stopped in December '14 to get clean for the combine test, but he'd already pumped his body so full of THC that he failed anyway.
Macarthur
BassCowboy33 said:

Macarthur said:

Gigem Trevas said:

bdgol07 said:

Gigem Trevas said:

bonfarr said:

This.

They won't change it until its no longer federal law. Also, there are comparatively few studies out there on long-term effects of weed to the heart, lungs, and brain (although logic suggests that, at best, it's null, and at worst, it's carcinogenic). Even earlier studies about the issue of it being nonhabit forming have come into question. It's stunning that such a popular drug has been studied so sparingly. Edit: Also, when researching for yourself, be careful. There are a lot of people with skin in the game who misrepresent data or provide faulty info on the subject--on both sides.

With that, I believe it should be federally legal, and completely understand the NFL's stance on the issue; however, I'd like to see them allow the use of "medicinal" weed for players, which obviously opens up a host of other issues.

I don't disagree that pot is not the nirvana that some want it to be. However, I think I'm on pretty secure ground saying that it's clearly better for pain managment for these guy than narcotics.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Agree. I don't think it is some magic potion. I do believe there are issues in what it does to your brain, especially for teenagers. I also believe there is a lot we don't know and likely negative impact to the brains of adults. That said, if smoking a reasonable amount of weed works for their pain management, I do think it's very likely to be safer than opiates. I also think these adult football players should be allowed to make that determination for themselves and their own doctor and not punished by the league for doing so.

Just in general, I think this is a subject that is complex enough and with enough positives and negatives that these adults should be allowed to make their own judgment.
jr15aggie
AG
Check out these "finish the fight" videos (below is Daks). I believe they are doing 1 a day all the way to our game next weekend. I believe they said they are ending it with Jason Witten's Finish the fight on game day. Really good, check them out!

http://www.dallascowboys.com/video/2017/01/05/finishthisfight-dak-prescott
TXAggie2011
AG
What is the league's stance on opioids?
Macarthur
That's damn good. I'm fired up!
jr15aggie
AG
I drove bus said:

BMX Bandit said:

on The Ticket this morning David Moore said that between college, the combine, and now the NFL, he has 9 failed tests.

If that's true, and it probably is, his only hope is the NFL changes its rules on pot ( Not likely anytime soon).

Too bad... Heard somebody else the other day was commenting that just based on pure pass rushing ability he could have been great.
Jason Ag
AG
Gigem Trevas said:

The packers defense gives up points and the cowboys average 30 a game at home.

I know Seattle is at home, but I think the lions will at least have a chance to win late. Losing Earl Thomas was a big deal.
jr15aggie
AG
Yep, I think Seattle is one of the easier outs this year. Hoping Detroit can knock them off so we can play them. Problem is, games at Seattle tend to go the way of the home team.
Gigem Trevas
jr15aggie said:

Yep, I think Seattle is one of the easier outs this year. Hoping Detroit can knock them off so we can play them. Problem is, games at Seattle tend to go the way of the home team.

Along with the calls.
Reginald Cousins
S
Gigem Trevas said:

jr15aggie said:

Along with the calls.

How did I get kicked off legends board? Doesn't show up in my list anymore.
Jason Ag
AG
Gigem Trevas said:

jr15aggie said:

Along with the calls.

Being in Seattle is big for them, I think Wilson will also run it more in the playoffs. Stafford also has a hurt finger. I'm seeing betting odds that have Seattle -9. I'm thinking Detroit definitely keeps it closer than that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.