*** COWBOYS 2016 Season ***

280,301 Views | 3441 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ag Natural
BassCowboy33
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FWIW, SI did a redraft based on performance that went:

1. Wentz
2. Dak
3. Ramsey
4. Elliott

So, it's not like there's any universally correct answer here.
PooDoo
AG
But we can't really judge for another 2 1/2 yrs.
corleoneAg99
AG
Bosa might end up worth more than Zeke or Ramsey.

He's been a beast as some of us predicted.
DTP02
AG
corleoneAg99 said:

Yeah, I'm not getting the Ramsey debate when the secondary is playing pretty darn well for a team without a pass rush. Bosa is the one guy you can say who could elevate the team more than Zeke has, because he'd fill such a huge hole.
jtstanley4621
AG
Honestly before the 2016 draft I kept thinking that Fournette would have been a better pick if we had that spot in this season's draft than Zeke. And that was why I wanted Ramsey. Well, actually I wanted Myles this season (and I still do FWIW).

But now... Between Zeke and Fournette, I'm not so sure. Fournette might be bigger, but Zeke has absolutely been the full package this season. He's fast, he can run with power, he catches out of the backfield well, and he pass blocks well, which is a rarity for a rookie. Fournette might be the next Adrian Peterson, but Zeke is already incredibly good. He ripped off two runs against the Packers that I watched for at least a couple days.

And having Dak and a good OC on top of all of that makes them so much fun to watch on offense.

Dak has impressed me on an insane level too. He's got a great line and running game, but he actually reads defenses, uses his legs sparingly. He's been more accurate than what I thought, and he's doing pretty much all of this without Dez. He's just spreading the ball around well. Pretty much at every point this season so far Dak and Zeke have impressed and surprised me with their development, and the needle is only pointing upwards for them both.
corleoneAg99
AG
DTP02 said:

corleoneAg99 said:

Yeah, I'm not getting the Ramsey debate when the secondary is playing pretty darn well for a team without a pass rush. Bosa is the one guy you can say who could elevate the team more than Zeke has, because he'd fill such a huge hole.

So right now you have Scandrick hurt and aging, Carr aging, and Mo looking to get paid. And Ramsey has position flex. He could have easily been a piece at multiple positions this year and your starter next year along with Brown and Carr and or Scandrick.
BassCowboy33
PooDoo said:

But we can't really judge for another 2 1/2 yrs.

Never
PooDoo
AG
corleoneAg99 said:

Bosa was the only defense player that I thought would have an impact big enough to pick ahead of Elliott.

And as many serviceable RB's that are available in the later rounds it seems there are just as many DB's if not more.

MSU/SECALUM
https://twitter.com/hashtag/Eagles?src=hash
jr15aggie
AG
So I was thinking why has this Cowboys team been so hard to beat... here's one thing I came up with and wanted to know y'alls thoughts.

Doesn't seem like we are ever punting from deep in our own end. I just can't recall us punting inside our own 20 often. And I don't think our punter has lined up in the end zone all year. I could be wrong, but just thinking about all these games it seems like our offense rarely goes 3-and-Out... we always seem to get a first down or 2, and if we punt, we are doing it closer to mid field and pinning the other team back.
corleoneAg99
AG
Yeah they are first in DVOA(and really only NE and ATL are even close to them at 2 and 3) which means they are incredibly efficient and not just via the run game, but when needed via the pass as well. And it's not like Dak has been all check downs...his YPA is awesome.

So it's not surprising that field position has largely been positive because they are rarely completely stopped.
Reginald Cousins
S
corleoneAg99 said:

Yeah they are first in DVOA(and really only NE and ATL are even close to them at 2 and 3) which means they are incredibly efficient and not just via the run game, but when needed via the pass as well. And it's not like Dak has been all check downs...his YPA is awesome.

So it's not surprising that field position has largely been positive because they are rarely completely stopped.

Link to first in DVOA? They're 5th.
corleoneAg99
AG
Offensive DVOA.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
rumors the Cowboys are possibly trying to pry Cameron Wake from the Dolphins. lets see.
Rudyjax
AG
Draft pick?

Is McFadden worth anything?
gougler08
AG
Unthought Known said:

Draft pick?

Can't imagine the Fins would want McFadden with the way that Ajayi has been running the last 2 weeks.
Rudyjax
AG
gougler08 said:

Unthought Known said:

Draft pick?

Can't imagine the Fins would want McFadden with the way that Ajayi has been running the last 2 weeks.

I meant elsewhere.
jtstanley4621
AG
Unthought Known said:

Draft pick?

Hmm... Don't think they'd want McFadden with Ajayi. I thought I had read somewhere that other teams are expecting us to just cut McFadden. In which case they could sign him outright without giving up anything (obviously). I don't know how valuable McFadden actually is as a bargaining chip.

jr15aggie
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

rumors the Cowboys are possibly trying to pry Cameron Wake from the Dolphins. lets see.
Hmmm, this could possibly work. He just re-worked his deal to lower cap hit this year (but it also extended the deal 2 years through 2018). The Dolphins might be re-thinking the deal considering the $ they have tied up on the D-line and the help they need elsewhere.

And it's possible he'd be interested in adjusting his contract to sign with Dallas and play with a team on the rise as opposed to a team that looks to need a re-build. Cowboys would need to adjust his contract to be VERY low this year with a raise & guaranteed money next year.

With regards to McFadden, he could be used to sweeten the deal since they no longer have a Vet back-up now that Foster is gone.
Pignorant
AG
Sorry if this is a dumb question but...

The Cowboys basically have no choice but to trade Romo after the season if Dak is going to be the QB next year, right?
Rudyjax
AG
Pignorant said:

The Cowboys basically have no choice but to trade Romo after the season if Dak is going to be the QB next year, right?

Romo is pretty much untradable.
Rudyjax
AG
But it would be awesome if he ended up against the Cowboys in the Super Bowl and beat them.
RedlineAg08
Someone will bite on Romo if he wanted to continue playing, but I think he'll retire after this year.

I'm a Romo fan for life though. Took me a long time to come around to the idea that Dak needed to keep the job.
gougler08
AG
RedlineAg08 said:

Someone will bite on Romo if he wanted to continue playing, but I think he'll retire after this year.

I'm a Romo fan for life though. Took me a long time to come around to the idea that Dak needed to keep the job.

Dallas would have to pay a lot of his contract for anyone to ever trade for him, and I'm not even sure you can do that in the NFL
corleoneAg99
AG
Pignorant said:

Don't see a trade because of the cap. Easier to cut, take the cap hit there, and then use the savings in FA.
PooDoo
AG
Trading Or cutting Romo would have the same effect on the Cowboys salary cap.

We take the hit for the balance of the prorated signing bonus and the other team takes on his base salary, non guaranteed, for the remainder of his contract.

I believe his base contract is in the $9-14 million neighborhood so its relatively affordable for a "star QB".

In reality unless we get a 2nd I wouldn't turn Romo loose. Dak's $400k contract offer us a ton of flexibility.
MSU/SECALUM
Dak Prescott's incredible 3rd-down stat

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/mississippi-state-football/dak-prescotts-incredible-3rd-stat/
corleoneAg99
AG
PooDoo said:

Trading Or cutting Romo would have the same effect on the Cowboys salary cap.

We take the hit for the balance of the prorated signing bonus and the other team takes on his base salary, non guaranteed, for the remainder of his contract.

I believe his base contract is in the $9-14 million neighborhood so its relatively affordable for a "star QB".

In reality unless we get a 2nd I wouldn't turn Romo loose. Dak's $400k contract offer us a ton of flexibility.

Ok. I thought trading him added more dead money to cap than straight up cut. Either way you could cut or trade him, cap hit is around 10 I believe, and then you're still paying Dak peanuts. You can then use the balance of what you would have been paying Romo on FAs.
bonfarr
AG

corleoneAg99
AG
Ok so the trade accelerates the cap this year but no relief in 17 at all? That's not what I heard I think BaD talking about but whatever. It is what it is.
bonfarr
AG
A trade does save the Cowboys his base salary, next year if he is off he roster there would be an additional 4 or 5 million bucks to spend on a defender.
jr15aggie
AG
This is what I posted in the other thread... taken directly from Brian Broaddus so this should be correct:

Quote:

Keep Romo for 2017: Cap hit = 24.7 mil in 2017

Trade Romo: Cap hit = 19.6 Mil dead money in 2017 (save 5.1 mil on next years cap)

Cut him Post June 1:
10.7 Mil dead money 2017 (saves 14 mil on next years cap)
5.7 Mil dead money 2018 (saves 19.5 mil on 2018 cap)
3.2 Mil dead money 2019 (saves 20.5 mil on 2019 cap)

In short, trade Romo and we take the full hit of his prorated signing bonus next year and we'll save around 5.1 Mil on the cap (but we are 100% free and clear of his contract after that). If we cut him post June 1 the hit will be spread out over 3 years but we'll get really good savings all 3 years.

Not looking good for Romo wearing a Star in 2017

PS: Heard Jameill Showers is now a full time safety wearing Woodsons old number 28.
PooDoo
AG
Really don't understand what that spreadsheet is saying. If traded or cut Romo's prorated signing bonus that he has been paid early hits the cap for the Cowboys.

Here is a break down of the way they split up his original signing bonus and restructured bonus. The Cowboys eat the remaining bonus when he gets traded and the team that gets him just has to pay the base salary. The base salary only counts on the team whose roster he's on.

TL;DR - The sooner we trade him the bigger the cap penalty.
PatAg
AG
Still think we should all tap the brakes on cutting Romo.
PooDoo
AG
No way we should cut Romo. Prescott's low salary gives us the option to keep a very expensive insurance policy.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.