*** COWBOYS 2016 Season ***

280,275 Views | 3441 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ag Natural
corleoneAg99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jr15aggie said:

Random Comment:

Heard something the other day after the pro-bowl team was announced... apparently Travis Frederick was one of only 3 guys in that draft to make the pro bowl. It is considered a very poor draft overall with very little upper end talent.

The media was all over Dallas trading down and away from all those "great" players and ultimately drafting some guy from Wisconsin. Awesome!

The issue at the time, because the above is a popular narrative, was not with the player...it was where he was picked.

The thought was the Cowboys could have gotten him with the Escobar pick easily because while he was thought of well, he did not appear to have a first round grade.

It ended up being a great pick based on outcome but then again, Escobar was a choke job of the highest order.

It happens.
CSWendt
Cowboys have certainly hit gold on their first round draft picks last several years. Key to putting an elite team out there: hit on your 1st round picks, and get a couple hidden gems late in drafts.
Jason Ag
AG
Jordy Nelson ruled out.
jr15aggie
AG
Oh heck yes!!!!!!!

Finish The Fight Hype Video!
TyHolden
AG
oldarmyag08 said:

Jordy Nelson ruled out.
MooreTrucker
AG
Reginald Cousins said:

Duck Patrol said:

BassCowboy33 said:

Jordy Nelson has officially been ruled out.
They've still got very talented receivers, but he is the ace.

Because of this, do you stick Anthony Brown on Cobb and have Carr take on Devante?

Claiborne? Claiborne anyone?
Somebody's got to cover Geronimo Allison.
Goldie Wilson
CSWendt said:

Cowboys have certainly hit gold on their first round draft picks last several years. Key to putting an elite team out there: hit on your 1st round picks, and get a couple hidden gems late in drafts.
Also, do bits with your 2nd round pick.
Rudyjax
AG
Quote:

The issue at the time, because the above is a popular narrative, was not with the player...it was where he was picked.

The thought was the Cowboys could have gotten him with the Escobar pick easily because while he was thought of well, he did not appear to have a first round grade.

This isn't on you, but this thinking drives me crazy. There is no way of knowing he would still be there. He was the highest player on their board (correctly) and you draft him where you're guaranteed to get him.

Ifs and buts are candy and nuts.

Escobar was a horrible pick.
BassCowboy33
oldarmyag08 said:

Jordy Nelson ruled out.

Echo (echo)
jteagle
AG
Reginald Cousins said:

jr15aggie said:

Random Comment:

Heard something the other day after the pro-bowl team was announced... apparently Travis Frederick was one of only 3 guys in that draft to make the pro bowl. It is considered a very poor draft overall with very little upper end talent.

The media was all over Dallas trading down and away from all those "great" players and ultimately drafting some guy from Wisconsin. Awesome!

Such a good pick.
It also reminds me that they took Escobar in the 2nd round that year. With the injuries to Hanna and Swaim it really exposed how bad he is. He can't block or catch. Dallas was forced to use a backup lineman where they would normally run a 2 TE set because Escobar just didn't have it.
Rudyjax
AG
jteagle said:

Reginald Cousins said:

jr15aggie said:

Random Comment:

Such a good pick.
It also reminds me that they took Escobar in the 2nd round that year. With the injuries to Hanna and Swaim it really exposed how bad he is. He can't block or catch. Dallas was forced to use a backup lineman where they would normally run a 2 TE set because Escobar just didn't have it.
Oh and don't forget that the pick in Denver game when they lost 100-98 was on a lazy route by Escoba.
corleoneAg99
AG
Unthought Known said:

Quote:

This isn't on you, but this thinking drives me crazy. There is no way of knowing he would still be there. He was the highest player on their board (correctly) and you draft him where you're guaranteed to get him.

I don't think you're wrong about that but i'll also say that at that time, which was several years ago now, they had not earned the faith they get today.

It's also a position thing...it is very rare for a center to be worth a first round pick and the grading reflected that. In hindsight they deserve a lot of credit but IMO at the time it was perfectly reasonable to question their decision.

Finally the questioning of it was literally backed up with the very next pick where they took at TE who has been one of their more laughable picks ever. Again it happens to all teams but my perception at the time was they reached for Frederick because the OL had become a real issue and they couldn't watch Romo get killed every game any longer.

All in all they deserve credit for trying to address it...hitting on an all pro is some skill and a lot of luck.
Reginald Cousins
S
Unthought Known said:

jteagle said:

Reginald Cousins said:

jr15aggie said:

Random Comment:

Such a good pick.
Oh and don't forget that the pick in Denver game when they lost 100-98 was on a lazy route by Escoba.

But but but I was told at the time that was Tony's fault for that pick. Not Escobar or the D for giving up 52.
Reginald Cousins
S
corleoneAg99 said:

Unthought Known said:

Quote:

I don't think you're wrong about that but i'll also say that at that time, which was several years ago now, they had not earned the faith they get today.

It's also a position thing...it is very rare for a center to be worth a first round pick and the grading reflected that. In hindsight they deserve a lot of credit but IMO at the time it was perfectly reasonable to question their decision.

Finally the questioning of it was literally backed up with the very next pick where they took at TE who has been one of their more laughable picks ever. Again it happens to all teams but my perception at the time was they reached for Frederick because the OL had become a real issue and they couldn't watch Romo get killed every game any longer.

All in all they deserve credit for trying to address it...hitting on an all pro is some skill and a lot of luck.

I'll keep taking tops on "their" board. Especially in the 1st.
corleoneAg99
AG
First rounders and that year forward in particular, sure.
BassCowboy33
How can you guys talk about stuff that doesn't have anything to do with Sunday? GET IN GAME MODE MOTHER EFFERS!!!! AGGGHHHHHH
MooreTrucker
AG
Too soon. Pace yourself or you'll burn out early.
CSWendt
The nature of all these discussions stems from the fact that we are playing GB again like in 2014, thus spurring the conversations about both teams, drafts, etc...
Rudyjax
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

How can you guys talk about stuff that doesn't have anything to do with Sunday? GET IN GAME MODE MOTHER EFFERS!!!! AGGGHHHHHH

Because we are intelligent.
Reginald Cousins
S
Unthought Known said:

BassCowboy33 said:

Because we are intelligent.

Nice.
Bullmoose
AG

LOLOLOL..more like a lazy route by the linebacker........wait....BAHAHAWAAAA
Reginald Cousins
S
Bullmoose said:

Foot stepped on. Wrong route. It was discussed after the game. Not sure what narrative you're trying to push here.
jteagle
AG
After watching this thread for the past two weeks and watching this team all year long I think that we are in a very good place. What have we been arguing about? We have two QBs that could start and have a good chance to win our way to the Super Bowl with. Two!! Most teams don't have one reliable QB and we have two. We have two players that could at least be in the conversation for MVP and will definitely finish 1 and 2 in the ROY if not Co-Roy. Again TWO! We have a HOF TE, a superstar WR that has been playing at a high level and neither of them is the leading receiver on the team. That goes to the short white guy. On top of all of that we have an OL led by 3 All-Pros! Yes 3 of the 5 OLine All Pros belong to the Dallas Cowboys.

Our Defense is led by an All Pro LB who is as good any in the game today and is completely healthy. We have a D Line that has no superstars but have been strong against the run all year and have somehow developed a pass rush in the second half of the season. The secondary is healthy for the first time all year and although they give up a lot of yards have been getting the job done. Rod Marinelli is my favorite coach. He has made all the right calls this year and has this defense playing way above where everybody thought they would be.

Add a pretty good group of special teams and I think it sets up very nicely for this team to go all the way. It should be fun to watch!
Reginald Cousins
S
Preach!
Bullmoose
AG
Reginald Cousins said:

Bullmoose said:

Foot stepped on. Wrong route. It was discussed after the game. Not sure what narrative you're trying to push here.
Narrative? You mean the facts staring you in the face? Escobar has 3 Broncos around him and DeMarco was

W I D E

O P E N
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Because even the best QBS ALWAYS see every single open guy there is.
Bullmoose
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Because even the best QBS ALWAYS see every single open guy there is.
Obvious you just popped off without looking at the video because romo looks right DeMarco.....HOLY SH/T..can't stop laughing.....hahahahahahaha
Bullmoose
AG
still laughing...wait....ahahahahahahahahahaha
PatAg
AG
Bullmoose said:

You are a cancer to this thread, ahahahahahahhaha

I think in a game where you score 48, it's safe to say Romo wasn't the problem.
jteagle
AG
Bullmoose said:

You post on the Cowboys thread but act like a Texans fan.
BassCowboy33
MooreTrucker said:

Too soon. Pace yourself or you'll burn out early.

I'd actually go the opposite way. I need more Packers talk.

Edit: Oh, and ARGGGHHHHHHHJJJJ
snowdog90
I've been watching the Cowboys Giants game from 2007. Through 3 quarters, Romo was masterful. Midway through the 3rd, Cowboys have the ball at their 20-ish, up 17-14. Romo makes a great throw to Witten for 12 yards and a first down. It's called back for a 15 yard penalty on Leonard Davis, who hit Strahan late. Same drive, 3rd and 14, Romo faces big blitz, avoids it by rolling left, then throws an almost perfect pass to Crayton, who drops it. The pass would have been good for a first down, and maybe much more.

After the play, Joe Buck says, "some of these other Cowboys should have gone to Mexico with Romo". The Giants score the winning td on the following drive.

Romo kicked ass in that game, and back then he had some traces of Johnny Football in him. He made 2 plays that were Johnny-esque in this game.

Yet, the team lets him down, they lose, and one-dimensional thinking mental midgets want to blame Romo and his Mexico trip for the loss. So many Cowboy fans fall into this category and it sickens me.

More than anything, I want Romo to get a SB ring this year, and in a way, it would say more about who he is as a player than if he were on the field. He is the ultimate team player, and his maturity, leadership and team-first attitude is imprinted all over this team.
Reginald Cousins
S
snowdog90 said:

I've been watching the Cowboys Giants game from 2007. Through 3 quarters, Romo was masterful. Midway through the 3rd, Cowboys have the ball at their 20-ish, up 17-14. Romo makes a great throw to Witten for 12 yards and a first down. It's called back for a 15 yard penalty on Leonard Davis, who hit Strahan late. Same drive, 3rd and 14, Romo faces big blitz, avoids it by rolling left, then throws an almost perfect pass to Crayton, who drops it. The pass would have been good for a first down, and maybe much more.

After the play, Joe Buck says, "some of these other Cowboys should have gone to Mexico with Romo". The Giants score the winning td on the following drive.

Romo kicked ass in that game, and back then he had some traces of Johnny Football in him. He made 2 plays that were Johnny-esque in this game.

Yet, the team lets him down, they lose, and one-dimensional thinking mental midgets want to blame Romo and his Mexico trip for the loss. So many Cowboy fans fall into this category and it sickens me.

More than anything, I want Romo to get a SB ring this year, and in a way, it would say more about who he is as a player than if he were on the field. He is the ultimate team player, and his maturity, leadership and team-first attitude is imprinted all over this team.
BassCowboy33
I find it interesting that the line on this game has actually creeped up to -5 in some places. I felt that earlier in the week the narrative was "nobody can stop Aaron Rodgers". As the week progressed, I think it moved more towards "Dallas has a sizeable matchup advantage". I even saw one writer (can't remember who) say that it's lazy journalism to just to use Aaron Rodgers as the sole reason that Green Bay will win, rather than use the stats and styles to analyze the matchup. Based on NFLpickwatch, about 70% of all the experts are picking Dallas to win.

Sturm was on the Hardline the other night (he's watched every play this season on both Green Bay and Dallas) and continuously harped that this is a very bad matchup for Green Bay. In his estimation, the only way Green Bay wins is (1) winning the turnover battle and (2) Dallas not converting drives into touchdowns. He said that Dallas is the kind of team that Green Bay struggles mightily against.
BMX Bandit

PREDICTION TIME

Packers 24
Cowboys 27

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.