*** COWBOYS 2016 Season ***

280,336 Views | 3441 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ag Natural
jr15aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TheCougarHunter said:

Dez Bryant looks to be getting back to being Dez. It's incredible how much talent they have on offense.

Agreed. And I'd say it's even more incredible how we've been able to efficiently use all of that talent on offense. Seems like everybody gets their turn and when it is their turn they typically take advantage of it. Good stuff!
PooDoo
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

PooDoo said:

Was able to watch the game late last night...

All I can say is watching Elliott block without the ball is a thing of beauty. If he's on the field he's going 100%.

Yep. The one thing that people always say is pass blocking is what keeps young RBs off the field. Zeke seems to always pick up and block (even if it's for a half second) the guy he's supposed to. He also catches really well and of course he's a great runner. He's such a natural it's scary.

He is also always hustling and blocking downfield for his WRs or when Dak scrambles.

He almost pancaked 2 DBs on one play yesterday. Drove one guy backwards then engaged with the other guy & shoved him to the ground.

The 1st guy was able to gather himself and make the tackle but it was still a pretty awesome display of badasery.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
tannerr0703 said:

Listening to some talking heads sports shows. The narrative seems to be we lack the big playmakers on the defensive side. Strong favor for Seattle to come out of the NFC because of big names like Richardson, Chancellor, Thomas, Bennett, etc.

Though we don't have the big names, I think this D has played some fundamental football. That plus our offense has been the best defense.
as many of you know I've been saying this since TC as well. i think we can be good, but that lack of true edge rusher is going to leave us short of a title this year.

that said, this defense is playing MUCH better than I thought it would so who knows.
ce1994
AG
The Cowboys can control a game with their offensive line. Seattle's offensive line is bad.

One game at a time Cowboys fans. Washington is up next.
jr15aggie
AG
I still say adding a really good LB to this group would probably give us just as large of a boost as a DE (obviously in a different way though).

Jaylon Smith for the playoffs!!!???!!! (I know, not gonna happen........ or will it?)
Macarthur
Jaylon Smith has been activated.

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/cowboys-corner-blog/article116236678.html
jr15aggie
AG
Quote:

Jaylon Smith for the playoffs!!!???!!! (I know, not gonna happen........ or will it?)
LOL... I see this article a few minutes after I posted the above... Jaylon has been activated from NFI

If you don't want to read the entire article, this basically means the Cowboys are not yet willing to rule him out. They have 3 weeks to practice or report to the active roster or go on season ending IR. So they have 3 weeks to see how it goes w/out having to give him a roster spot. But after 3 weeks Smith will either have to take somebodies spot on the roster or be done for the season.

They also mentioned James Hanna is done for the season so our Tight End group got real thin all of a sudden.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2016/11/21/2-players-be-activated-nfi-jaylon-smith-not-ready-practice
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
article also says nerve is still not firing.
jr15aggie
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Correct. Nothing has really changed other than the NFI deadline was here and the Cowboys decided to keep the option of him playing open (as opposed to sending him to season ending IR).
Reginald Cousins
S
jr15aggie said:

Correct. Nothing has really changed other than the NFI deadline was here and the Cowboys decided to keep the option of him playing open (as opposed to sending him to season ending IR).

The nerve is firing in my opinion. Calculated moves. Jaylon has been really coy about the issue. Some mysterious tweets. Then Jerry says it is a couple days ago.

I'll take a friendly wager if anyone wants to bet he plays a snap.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Reginald Cousins said:

jr15aggie said:

The nerve is firing in my opinion. Calculated moves. Jaylon has been really coy about the issue. Some mysterious tweets. Then Jerry says it is a couple days ago.

I posted this same thing on a cowboys mssg board a few weeks ago. I think theres a chance that hes made real progress but they are just not going public w it yet for whatever reason.

Now he can actually practice w the team fwiw.
Gigem Trevas
Reginald Cousins said:

jr15aggie said:

jr15aggie
AG
If Jaylon does come back this year it really is the Cowboys world, we are just living in it.
Reginald Cousins
S
jr15aggie said:

If Jaylon does come back this year it really is the Cowboys world, we are just living in it.

1. Bring him back in playoffs and use him in ways that haven't been seen.

2. Win Super Bowl.

3. ?????

4. Profit.

New dynasty.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
i might get crucified for this and it'll be unpopular met with a lot of "that's not how the game is played" or "thats not how super bowl teams manage their rosters" or things of that nature but if the Cowboys get to a mark like say 11-2 even and the division appears to be in hand i think they should seriously consider cutting back Sean Lee's plays on D. this guy's history has been filled with injuries and right now he is so vital to this D that it would be a catastrophe to lose him for the season.

i'd even love to see him down the stretch used as a 3rd down LB only in 2nd half of games.

then when the playoffs start, return him to his normal rep amount.
jteagle
AG

i might get crucified for this and it'll be unpopular met with a lot of "that's not how the game is played" or "thats not how super bowl teams manage their rosters" or things of that nature but if the Cowboys get to a mark like say 11-2 even and the division appears to be in hand i think they should seriously consider cutting back Sean Lee's plays on D. this guy's history has been filled with injuries and right now he is so vital to this D that it would be a catastrophe to lose him for the season.

i'd even love to see him down the stretch used as a 3rd down LB only in 2nd half of games.

I understand what you are saying. Do like Pop does with his players in basketball. However, I don't see Jason Garrett doing that.
PooDoo
AG
Dude blew out his knee in shorts during drills... dont think work load matters with Lee.
Reginald Cousins
S
PooDoo said:

Dude blew out his knee in shorts during drills... dont think work load matters with Lee.

Surely with your infinite wisdom you understand less activity is congruent with less risk of injury.

The drills in shorts are part of the "workload" as a whole, the most risky of which is game time.
jr15aggie
AG
Cowboys will have to fight the entire way for the NFC East title I think. They will also be in the hunt for a bye or the #1 seed from here on out too... no rest for the weary, they are gonna have to play every game!
RedlineAg08
Yup. Someone hoist his ass up there and I'll tack him up...

Hell no! He's the heart and soul of this defense and he's been hurt every year of his career. If it's going to happen it's happening regardless of work load. Until it happens you let him go out there and be the Spartan that he is.
Reginald Cousins
S
Meh. I like the snap count idea.
tannerr0703
AG
Just run the ball. Thatll keep him off the field and healthy.
PooDoo
AG
Reginald Cousins said:

Meh. I like the snap count idea.
How would a snap count kept his knee from popping the first practice of training camp or whatever it was?
DannyDuberstein
AG
Interesting Dak/offense productivity talk on BAD Radio. The Dallas offense has gained 400 yards in 8 straight games. That not only doubles the previous franchise record of 4 in a row, it matches the franchise record of 400 yards games in an entire season (TOTAL, not just consective).

The NFL record is 8 in a row, set by the 2007 Pats and equaled by the 2013 Broncos.
PooDoo
AG
I think one of the things that makes Dak so good is his willingness to dump the ball to the check down instead of trying to force the ball into coverage.

Defenses try loading the box to stop Elliott and force Dak to beat them. It back fires because they can't force Dak to make a rookie mistake. And the offense keeps grinding out 1st downs.
jr15aggie
AG
Quote:

The NFL record is 8 in a row, set by the 2007 Pats and equaled by the 2013 Broncos.

Both of those teams went to the Super Bowl :-) And they both lost :-(

Quote:

I think one of the things that makes Dak so good is his willingness to dump the ball to the check down instead of trying to force the ball into coverage.
And not just that, he's dumping it in the right spot where our guys can get good yardage. Great analysis on the play where Dak dumped it to Zeke against the Ravens and Zeke took it for 20 yards. They had blitzed earlier in the game and sacked Dak. They gave him that exact same blitz look again, but the LB'ers bailed into coverage when the ball was snapped. If Dak had acted quickly he would have thrown out to a WR right where the LB'ers were dropping. Instead he let them clear out and then dumped it to Zeke who had plenty of room to make guys miss. Big play... Good QB!
Goldie Wilson
jr15aggie said:

Quote:

Both of those teams went to the Super Bowl :-) And they both lost :-(

Quote:

And not just that, he's dumping it in the right spot where our guys can get good yardage. Great analysis on the play where Dak dumped it to Zeke against the Ravens and Zeke took it for 20 yards. They had blitzed earlier in the game and sacked Dak. They gave him that exact same blitz look again, but the LB'ers bailed into coverage when the ball was snapped. If Dak had acted quickly he would have thrown out to a WR right where the LB'ers were dropping. Instead he let them clear out and then dumped it to Zeke who had plenty of room to make guys miss. Big play... Good QB!
Good post. Also really helps when you can dump it to someone like Zeke rather than, say, DMC or Morris.
Rudyjax
AG
Dak has played amazing. But he has some really good weapons out there.

Dak maybe the next Tom Brady, if the Cowboys can manage their roster right.
jtstanley4621
AG
Dak is just so many miles ahead of where he should be, or at least where everyone thought he'd be, coming out of college. I'm still amazed by it. I also don't think the NFL analysts are giving him enough credit for his running. He doesn't do it that often, but he was a legit dual threat QB in college.
jr15aggie
AG
Unthought Known said:

Dak has played amazing. But he has some really good weapons out there.

Dak maybe the next Tom Brady, if the Cowboys can manage their roster right.
Dak has dominated the NFL since he took his first snaps in the pre-season. He did it when Zeke wasn't playing (pre-season) and he's done it with Zeke. He's done it with Dez on the field and when Dez was on the sidelines in street clothes. He makes Cole Beasley look like an All Pro receiver that is impossible to cover.

We have every reason to compare and hope that he is indeed the next Tom Brady or Big Ben. Time will tell, but right now it certainly appears like he is the next gen QB. Once Brady, Brees, etc. retire I expect Dak will be one of the 3 or 4 names in the mix when people ask "who is the best QB in the NFL".
tannerr0703
AG
Think Dak has reenergized Witten as well. Kind of person that makes everyone want to elevate their game.

BassCowboy33
jteagle said:

I understand what you are saying. Do like Pop does with his players in basketball. However, I don't see Jason Garrett doing that.

Not to mention that if you're battling Seattle down the stretch for home field, those final games will be yuuuuuge.
jr15aggie
AG
tannerr0703 said:

Think Dak has reenergized Witten as well. Kind of person that makes everyone want to elevate their game.
Yeah, people have talked about the things he's said about Dak when it compares to Romo. Witten is very careful in his words, but he fully supported this being Dak's team weeks ago. That is saying something because him and Romo (and their wives) are literally BFFs outside of football.

Witten sees what's happening here and that's taking nothing away from Romo. This is Witten's shot to go out a champion too!
InternetFan02
AG
It's happening. It's 1971 again.

Dak is Roger Staubach
Witten is Bob Lilly
Romo is Craig Morton with a mix of Don Meredith
Sean Lee is chuck howley
Zeke is Duane Thomas
Dez is Bob Hayes
Etc
ChipFTAC01
AG
I need to know who Ditka is. That's who Roger gives the credit for the team getting its **** together and going on the run.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.