*** COWBOYS 2016 Season ***

280,378 Views | 3441 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ag Natural
Macarthur
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PooDoo said:

I have some questions.

Was Wilcox out?

Remind me again why Lance Dunbar is on the roster much less in the game in passing situations?

Is Romo as the backup taking practice reps away from Dak?

Agree on Dunbar. McFadden is ready. He should take Dunbar spot.
jr15aggie
AG
Macarthur said:

PooDoo said:

I have some questions.

Was Wilcox out?

Remind me again why Lance Dunbar is on the roster much less in the game in passing situations?

Is Romo as the backup taking practice reps away from Dak?

Agree on Dunbar. McFadden is ready. He should take Dunbar spot.

Yes, Wilcox was ruled out again with injury (quad muscle or something I think... probably back next week).

Lance Dunbar has been wasted space all year. Guy has literally done NOTHING of significance. He doesn't even look fast coming back from his injury last year... time for him to go.

My understanding is Romo is getting typical back-up QB reps in practice.
jtstanley4621
AG
If we are not going to use Morris (I think he was healthy/active last night and I do not recall him getting a single carry), why in the hell would be use Dunbar over McFadden? I think that is something that needs to change.
Southlake
Another reason this loss is bad is that now the Cowboys can't really afford to rest players. Tampa and Detroit are tough and the finale is away in the cold against a Philly team that will make the Cowboy game their Super Bowl - most probably in the cold. Also, now the Romo discussion is Germaine again causing further distraction.

MooreTrucker
AG
Southlake said:

Another reason this loss is bad is that now the Cowboys can't really afford to rest players. Tampa and Detroit are tough and the finale is away in the cold against a Philly team that will make the Cowboy game their Super Bowl - most probably in the cold. Also, now the Romo discussion is Germaine again causing further distraction.

No, it's still not.
Macarthur
MooreTrucker said:

Southlake said:

No, it's still not.

Not today, but if we are here next Monday talking about a third straight poor game for Dak, you bet your ass it is.
jtstanley4621
AG
At this point in the season it wouldn't make any sense to change from Dak to Romo. We would have to change what we're doing offensively. No more read option on occasion, less bootlegs, etc. I don't think it's happening even if we lost to both Tampa Bay and Detroit.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

At this point in the season it wouldn't make any sense to change from Dak to Romo. We would have to change what we're doing offensively. No more read option on occasion, less bootlegs, etc. I don't think it's happening even if we lost to both Tampa Bay and Detroit.

which we seemed to have abandoned anyway the last couple of games. inexplicably.
Macarthur
jtstanley4621 said:

I don't understand this.

This team has an incredible opportunity. IF Dak stinks again, you are coming perilously close to wasting a great opportunity. Having home field in this deal is so important.

I'm not saying that we should bench Dak, but I think if he's bad again, you have to at least start a discussion.
ce1994
AG
I suspect Prescott will respond well to this.
jr15aggie
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

jtstanley4621 said:

which we seemed to have abandoned anyway the last couple of games. inexplicably.
The bootleg is what got us our only TD yesterday.

And we did run the read option... one of the times Dak kept it (which you have to do to keep them honest) and NY stuffed it.

They got us. Their D was one step ahead all night. I seriously doubt they could beat us a 3rd time if we met again, but I'm ready for new blood.
Ag Natural
AG
Yeah, we ran a lot of play action and bootleg last night and it was snuffed out repeatedly. That's probably why you saw Linehan goto more straight drop back. It looked like they were spying Dak as well and preventing any QB runs of significance. Some defenses are just good. They were using the secondary to come up in run support while also not allowing any big play action passes.

This was all obvious during the game. Which is why I couldn't understand not going to some screen and draw plays. Change something please.
Ozamataz Buckshank 01
AG
Ag Natural said:

Yeah, we ran a lot of play action and bootleg last night and it was snuffed out repeatedly. That's probably why you saw Linehan goto more straight drop back. It looked like they were spying Dak as well and preventing any QB runs of significance. Some defenses are just good. They were using the secondary to come up in run support while also not allowing any big play action passes.

This was all obvious during the game. Which is why I couldn't understand not going to some screen and draw plays. Change something please.

They tried the screen pass last night, and it failed miserably everytime. The Giants defense just matches up better against the Cowboys offense, and I bet you the cold and rowdy stadium got to Dak. Let's see how the offense responds this week
Southlake
FWST today is discussing Romo. So is The Ticket. Elephant in the room.

You can pretend like it's on nobody's mind, but the media loves stuff like this.
DannyDuberstein
AG
With NYG crashing on the run and playing aggressively underneath, a guy like Dez has to step the **** up and make them pay over the top.
PatAg
AG
jr15aggie said:

jtstanley4621 said:

And we did run the read option... one of the times Dak kept it (which you have to do to keep them honest) and NY stuffed it.

They got us. Their D was one step ahead all night. I seriously doubt they could beat us a 3rd time if we met again, but I'm ready for new blood.
The only thing their D didn't do was stop the run consistently, we just went away from it for no real reason. Zeke had over 5 yards per carrry and was already over 100 in the third.
PatAg
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

With NYG crashing on the run and playing aggressively underneath, a guy like Dez has to step the **** up and make them pay over the top.
This is again where it would be nice to have seen some replays showing what was going on in their secondary. Or perhaps an actual sports journalist could release an article showing it. It's very possible no one was getting open.
jtstanley4621
AG
Dez and Dak had their worst games of the season. Just had a coworker tell me he'd put in romo. The discussions have begun, but overall I think people should relax. If Dan Bailey gets about a foot extra on his FG, that ties the game. Lose to both Tampa Bay and Detroit with Dak struggling, and we've got a real conversation.
jr15aggie
AG
PatAg said:

jr15aggie said:

jtstanley4621 said:

The only thing their D didn't do was stop the run consistently, we just went away from it for no real reason. Zeke had over 5 yards per carrry and was already over 100 in the third.
Yeah, I was a bit frustrated we didn't run the ball a bit more. Seems like we were trying to fool them by passing when it was probably a run down.

I'm also not really sure why we didn't at least try 1 traditional screen pass with Zeke (you know, the kind that went 80+ against the Steelers). More likely than not, the Giants would have snuffed that out too, but it could have worked big for us considering how often they were blitzing.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

Dez and Dak had their worst games of the season. Just had a coworker tell me he'd put in romo. The discussions have begun, but overall I think people should relax. If Dan Bailey gets about a foot extra on his FG, that ties the game. Lose to both Tampa Bay and Detroit with Dak struggling, and we've got a real conversation.
honestly, even if we win next week but Dak plays poorly again then it needs to be a conversation.

the playoffs are going to have tough teams to overcome. if we have anything other than good QB play we will be knocked out of the playoffs yet again. if he's bad next week, then man up, balls up, and regardless of win or loss give Romo those last 2 weeks to shake the rust off and get ready for the playoffs with Tony once again leading the way.

Dak isn't seeing anything down field right now which is very concerning to me. also, he's not running which as noted before is the main reason he was thought to be bringing in an added element Romo wasn't.
BowSowy
AG
Man, between your meltdowns about the Aggies and now the Cowboys, I've come to the conclusion that you're the biggest poon about football.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
not sure about the melting down or poon part but i posted last night that i thought the loss might actually be a good thing for this young team. as for Aggie football i'm sure there are plenty in agreement with me on what i think of our current leadership. if being certain our current leadership isn't going to win us any championships or even divisions qualifies as melting down or being a poon...then guilty as charged
MooreTrucker
AG

not sure about the melting down or poon part but i posted last night that i thought the loss might actually be a good thing for this young team. as for Aggie football i'm sure there are plenty in agreement with me on what i think of our current leadership. if being certain our current leadership isn't going to win us any championships or even divisions qualifies as melting down or being a poon...then guilty as charged
I've seen your poon meltdowns, and I don't think this falls under that classification.
Boiling Denim
Funny I think this game was exactly how most pictured the Cowboys would play this year the second Romo went down. They sure are trending back towards the mean with everyone else.

Linehan better fix our 3rd down problem fast or putting in Romo is the only thing that may save us from a 1 and done.
mhayden
It's ridiculously silly to think Romo getting snaps over Dak is even being considered.

Barring injury, only wait it happens if Prescott has a TD/INT ratio of 1:3 or so the remaining 2-3 games.

Kid has had two sub-par games and still has a Total QB Rating equal to what Tony Romo has done the last few years.
birdman
The kick in the pants from this loss hopefully gets the coaches in gear. Worst play calling in years. Team was just off in passing game. And Linehan kept throwing good money after bad. They never tried to give team a manageable 3rd down. When the offensive coaching staff evaluates themselves from the Giant game, they are going to be sick.
Agnzona
What's surprising about that is the only reason the Giants won game one was the very limited and risk adverse play calling because the had an unknown entity at QB. I was expecting a full game plane this time.
jr15aggie
AG
They are activating McFadden this week. They have not said whose spot he will take... I think most of us are hoping it's Dunbar.
Rudyjax
AG
Wasn't McFadden active against the Giants? Probably took Luckys spot.
snowdog90
Many thoughts. Here they are.

1. Romo is a better qb than Dak right now. The team has won 11 games,which is why Dak is starting, and WHY HE SHOULD START. Even though Romo is better, the team has played well with Dak, and for the most part, Dak has been excellent. But if Dak repeats Sunday's performance, Romo should be an option. Dak now has a book of 13 games that teams can study, and they may have caught up to him. If that is deemed so by Garrett and co., Romo should get a shot.

2.Dallas' defense is much better than anyone thought they'd be, hopefully good enough to make a SB run.

3. I would rather the Cowboys have something to play for in game 16. Clinching home-field with 2 or 3 games left is not a good thing. If you're getting a bye anyway, better to play a competitive game 16.

4. The NFC is really down this year, hopefully someone beats the Giants, because I don't know that any other team can come to Dallas and win in the playoffs. Anything can happen, though.

5. I think the Giants defense knew what was coming almost every play. Cowboys should look at film to see if one of the offensive players is tipping off plays. It just seemed like the Giants were too good.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Unthought Known said:

thought i saw him too but the number seemed different i remember thinking. not sure though.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
i still think the team has to continue to start Dak as already stated in this thread unless he really has another poor game Sun.

that said, there might be something to be said for teams getting a 2nd look at him. he didn't play that well vs Washington and again vs NYG on 2nd times around.

if we get GB, Washington, NYG, or Detroit in the playoffs (which we are very likely to get at least one of them) that would be a 2nd or even 3rd look vs Dak. i'd hate to have this great season lost early in the playoffs because we were afraid to pull the rookie for Romo.
Rudyjax
AG

Unthought Known said:

thought i saw him too but the number seemed different i remember thinking. not sure though.

I saw him on ST and thought, wow, McFadden is on ST. And then they called a hold on him.
Rudyjax
AG
Unthought Known said:

Unthought Known said:

I saw him on ST and thought, wow, McFadden is on ST. And then they called a hold on him.

But then On Tuesday I looked it up. It was Leon McFadden, so no, Darren McFadden was NOT active.

jr15aggie
AG
Quote:

5. I think the Giants defense knew what was coming almost every play. Cowboys should look at film to see if one of the offensive players is tipping off plays. It just seemed like the Giants were too good.
I still say it was advantage defense that game. There is a reason why Dallas's D also looked the best it has all year. The 60+ yarder to Beckham and a field goal from a drive that required the Giants to go for it on 4th and 3 are the only scores they gave up.

Dak didn't say this (he's too smart to make excuses), but a 2 time super bowl Vet can and apparently Eli did comment that the ball was slick all game and many times it came out of his hands funny.

So let's just tap the brakes on "teams are figuring out Dak!". Dak is still the #3 ranked QB in terms of QB rating. We are #6 in points per game. In terms of points per game we just played the #1 & #7 defenses in the entire league. And let me tell you, both of those defenses would have better stats if their offenses were any good.

Let's see what Dak and this offense does the next 2 weeks against teams with good, not great defenses.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.