*** COWBOYS 2016 Season ***

280,431 Views | 3441 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ag Natural
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That's slightly more specific than twitter.
BassCowboy33
Unthought Known said:

BassCowboy33 said:

Twitter isn't very high on Smith ever playing. Apparently that nerve in the knee has shown little to no progress.

This twitter guy must have inside info.

It lives.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Pittsburgh's 2 point strategy is so ****ing dumb. Now this is a 1 score game.

The strategy might sense if you have a latge enough population of conversions in a game for the expected point difference to play out statisitically. But there are only a handful per game (if that), so you're taking on quite a bit of downside risk. And in their case, they seem to suck badly enough at converting them that I'm not sure the expected point difference is favorable in the long haul.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Cowboys win the division?
jr15aggie
AG
Right now it's the best case scenario. Giants are just about done and also lost JPP to a groin injury.

Washington is losing and Tampa winning (I'd prefer Tampa to get a wild card over Wash).

Playoffs about to be clinched and the division title will be a forgone conclusion!
Grapesoda2525
Yeah I don't want to see Cousins again this year.
jr15aggie
AG
And I forgot to mention Philly is practically eliminated too. Glorious day for football!
MooreTrucker
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Pittsburgh's 2 point strategy is so ****ing dumb. Now this is a 1 score game.

Not any more. Giants are gonna lose.
Confucius
Worst case scenario now: Cowboys only have to go .500 in the last 4 games to clinch the NFC East & 1 seed.

But a win next week @ NYG should pretty much wrap up homefield.
MooreTrucker
AG
Confucius said:

Worst case scenario now: Cowboys only have to go .500 in the last 4 games to clinch the NFC East & 1 seed.
Giants, Bucs, Lions, Eagles - Definitely doable.
Mozart Paintings
AG
This weekend has made next weeks game no big deal at all if the boys lose. In fact, the risk of having nothing to play for the last three weeks is very real. I don't really want that. If cowboys beat Giants and Seattle loses at Green Bay then everything is cliched.
Confucius
Cowboys clinch a playoff spot!!!
Grapesoda2525
Ideally...... the Cowboys win against the Giants to clinch everything left. Rest everyone against the bucs ( would rather see them make it in over the skids). Play hard against the lions and try to win to keep everyone sharp. Rest everyone against Philly because they are dirty as hell.
samurai_science
MooreTrucker said:

Confucius said:

That Lions offense can be deadly though.
MooreTrucker
AG
daggertx said:

MooreTrucker said:

Confucius said:

That Lions offense can be deadly though.
True, and I think the Bucs will be tough too. But I think the Skins are done, and don't the Cowboys usually lose to NYG at home and then win in NY?
jr15aggie
AG
Cowboys probability of victory next week goes up significantly if JPP is out. Typically any sort of groin injury requires 2-3 weeks of healing.
Rudyjax
AG
I like the boys even without the 10 days off.
TheCougarHunter
AG
So who is the biggest threat in the playoffs? I'm thinking Seattle. Falcons might be a touch matchup for us as well. I do not want play the skids for a third time.
Rudyjax
AG
TheCougarHunter said:

So who is the biggest threat in the playoffs? I'm thinking Seattle. Falcons might be a touch matchup for us as well. I do not want play the skids for a third time.

Lions
Mozart Paintings
AG
TheCougarHunter said:

Seattle. And I don't think it's close.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
TheCougarHunter said:

I said it a few weeks ago too that I think its Seattle followed by Detroit.

Detroit's offense is very problematic for Dallas' D imho.

I'm really hoping the seeding sets up to where Seattle has to face Detroit in that 2nd round rather than Dallas having to go through both of them.
jr15aggie
AG
Seattle looking pretty good tonight.

They are like LSU... Slow to start but by the end of the season they are kicking all sorts of ass.
Kashchei
AG
Seattle, that's why home field is so important. I don't think they're as dangerous away from home.

NYG are number 2. Divisional games are tossups.
hph6203
AG
Doesn't this scenario only clinch the division and a first round bye? The Cowboys would still have to contend with Detroit for home field throughout the playoffs. They'd be 12-4 if they beat the Giants and lost every remaining game and Detroit would be 12-4 if they win every remaining game including a win over the Cowboys, which is the first tie breaker.
fretyuioz
NBC has flexed the Tampa Bay game to Sunday night, 12/18.

Next two Sunday's in prime time.
Ag Natural
AG
Everyone might as well stop hoping for any sort of resting strategy. It ain't gonna happen to a large degree. MAYBE I could see Zeke getting a few less carries if home field is locked up. MAYBE Sean Lee and MAYBE Dez. Outside of those three guys there aren't many that are even candidates to rest. Besides, with a bye coming the last thing you want to do is take away any sort of rythm.
jr15aggie
AG
Earl Thomas fractured his tibia. Tweeted at halftime that several things including retirement going through his mind. Oh my!
Mozart Paintings
AG
Yes. My mistake. Lions would still be in the mix assuming they win (I don't know who they play)
Mozart Paintings
AG
Resting isn't he biggest key. Don't want too long where the games have no meaning. That being said, just go try to win every damn game.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Seattle is the main one I'm leary of. As good as dallas' offense is, a pressure defense can give it some issues and turn it into an ugly game - like both Minnesota and Philly did. But being a much better team than those, Seattle could be capable of finishing the job.
jr15aggie
AG
FYI they say a win next week will win the division and lock up a first round bye.
BassCowboy33
As a former player, I can tell you that the last thing players and coaches want is an easy end to the season, and I mean that in the focus sense. We all saw what happened to Dallas in 2007. It can be very tough to basically bench your starters and expect them to come back and just start where they left off. Even in the Super Bowl years, if you recall, Dallas was very iffy against Philly in the first half in '92/93, before slamming the door once Philly made some errors, and in '93/94 when Green Bay kept it close until they fell apart late in the first half as well.

Basically, you're going to get a bye and you don't want to be rusty. The media is going to start screaming in a week or two about benching starters, which Garrett will likely not do. These games will mean a lot to the teams you are playing and, if you aren't careful you could end the season dropping 2 of 3 and destroying momentum. If anything, you bench key guys at the end of the final half of Week 17. You want to be rolling into the playoffs as much as possible. Rarely ever do teams replicate what New Orleans did in 2009.
Agristotle
AG
You absolutely cut Zeke and Lee's snaps after next week.
MooreTrucker
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

As a former player, I can tell you that the last thing players and coaches want is an easy end to the season, and I mean that in the focus sense. We all saw what happened to Dallas in 2007. It can be very tough to basically bench your starters and expect them to come back and just start where they left off. Even in the Super Bowl years, if you recall, Dallas was very iffy against Philly in the first half in '92/93, before slamming the door once Philly made some errors, and in '93/94 when Green Bay kept it close until they fell apart late in the first half as well.

Basically, you're going to get a bye and you don't want to be rusty. The media is going to start screaming in a week or two about benching starters, which Garrett will likely not do. These games will mean a lot to the teams you are playing and, if you aren't careful you could end the season dropping 2 of 3 and destroying momentum. If anything, you bench key guys at the end of the final half of Week 17. You want to be rolling into the playoffs as much as possible. Rarely ever do teams replicate what New Orleans did in 2009.
But like Agristotle said, can you at least cut back some of the workload on guys like Zeke and give a few more carries to Morris, et al.?
PooDoo
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

PooDoo said:

BassCowboy33 said:

Macarthur said:

BassCowboy33 said:

grapespda2525 said:

Escobar and Free really stunk up the joint. I had some people tell me this week that he's good, but I can't wait to see him jettisoned.

Free is average. Dude had a rough game against one of the best D-lines in football. Happens.

Escobar is flat terrible.

Free is free next year. I wonder if they consider moving Martin out to RT?

You got a grading out as one of the two or three best players at his position, you don't move him unless you have to. I imagine that is a position that they'll attack in free agency.

Larry Allen?

Allen was a bit different in that they moved him back forth out of necessity.
Indeed, but you have an elite OL in Martin. Given enough time to work on technique is probably All Pro at C, RG, or RT. It's far easier to find elite interior OL's late in the 1st & 2nd round than it is Tackles. Move Martin to RT, move Collins to RG or LG, make a reasonable offer to Leary if not finding another guard will be easier than a tackle.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.