*** COWBOYS 2016 Season ***

280,263 Views | 3441 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ag Natural
Ag Natural
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Giants and Vikes have shown they have the secondary to lock down the Cowboy receivers and the linebackers and safeties to limit the Beasley and Witten underneath stuff that has been Dak's security blanket.

Still, the run game was working enough to generate more than 7 points. I thought the play calling over the 50 could have been smarter. We knocked ourselves out of FG range a couple of times. Dak was also way off today. Not as accurate as he has been. That could be the weather. Luckily, if they take care of business there will be no cold weather games in the playoffs.
Ag12thman
AG
Disagree. Very few teams have gotten pressure on Prescott this season like NY did tonight. Dallas OL is very good. Tonight, they got their asses kicked all game long, though.
Southlake
What's scary is that they could've easily lost to the Steelers, Redskins and Vikings and be 8-5.

The momentum is slowing. The Tampa game will speak volumes.

With the resurgence of Green Bay, New York, Detroit and the Redskins, the playoffs are gonna be brutal.
NukeAg10
AG
Bailey missed a rare fg that would've had the game tied. Dak was completely off, and the play calling was bad. Defense is looking better though, and Sean Lee is playing great. Come back to the stadium next week and clinch the east.
Ag12thman
AG
Southlake said:

What's scary is that they could've easily lost to the Steelers, Redskins and Vikings and be 8-5.

With the resurgence of Green Bay, New York, Detroit and the Redskins, the playoffs are gonna be brutal.
Yep - you pretty much nailed it. Packers and Redskins are definitely not the same teams the Cowboys played earlier in the season. All have improved and/or gotten key previously injured players back.
Ag12thman
AG
Playcalling was indeed pretty awful.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I really couldn't figure out the 2nd down playcalling. It's a classic running down because even if you didn't gain anything on 1st (run or pass), a remotely decent run on 2nd puts a lot more of your playbook in play for 3rd down. So many 2nd down pass failures that put them in 3rd and 10 or 11 all night long.
TMACsDaMan
I hope this is the loss that refocuses them. Blessing in disguise imho

The defense actually played really well! If the offense was just average, they win 21-10!
DannyDuberstein
AG
Minnesota and 10 days off should have been enough for that. I think some cracks are being found. Takes good defensive personnel, but if you can get pressure and get aggressive on some of the easy underneath stuff, Dak is having trouble setting his feet and making the longer throw consistently.
jtstanley4621
AG
It seems like Morris isn't being used as much if at all anymore. I'm not sure if that's injury related or what. Regardless, we need a quality backup to spell Zeke. That needs to be addressed in this upcoming draft I think. Is McFadden still totally out/not an option as the backup?
Grapesoda2525
Try not to over react guys. The field was crappy, players were falling down and slipping all game which usually favors the team with the worse offense (Giants). Dez Bryant had the worst game I've ever seen a wide receiver have. 2 of the interceptions were his fault on one of them Dez fell down and the other he couldn't pick up the ball which made things really easy for the DB. Don't forget the Fumble that Dez lost without any contact from a Giants player. The field sucked, Dez sucked, and the game sucked. This team is still going to be the #1 seed in the NFC and that's all that really matters until the playoffs.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

It seems like Morris isn't being used as much if at all anymore. I'm not sure if that's injury related or what. Regardless, we need a quality backup to spell Zeke. That needs to be addressed in this upcoming draft I think. Is McFadden still totally out/not an option as the backup?
they have Morris , Dunbar, and now even McFadden.

i don't think anything is wrong with any of them but they want to keep Elliott in a rhythm so they stick with him.
ce1994
AG
I am happy with the way the defense is playing. Of course New York is trash on offense but they are still a professional team.
Ag12thman
AG
Yeah, I'd like to see more carries spread around in games like that where you just can't get the offense going and the run-game is being limited. I remember McFadden firing out of the hole a lot last year. Sometimes throwing a change-up back at a defense will pop a long run or at least the majority of the distance to the line-to-gain.
Gigem Trevas
This week is going to suck.
Ag12thman
AG
Gigem Trevas said:

Why is that? They'll be just fine, IMO. Just gotta get the O back in order.
ce1994
AG
The NFL is not week to week. Everyone jumping off the cliff now is treating this like college. Dallas would have to completely collapse to not have home field throughout.
Ag12thman
AG
ce1994 said:

The NFL is not week to week. Everyone jumping off the cliff now is treating this like college. Dallas would have to completely collapse to not have home field throughout.
Exactly. They are in the playoffs and that's really the important thing to begin with. Maybe some are talking about trash talk from Texans, Packers, and/or NY fans they will have to deal with all this week???

In my experience, the trash talk is all at the collegiate level, not much at all at the NFL level.
The only ones I have to deal with are the jackass sip and baylor fans when those teams win and the Aggies lose.
tannerr0703
AG
Ag12thman said:

Southlake said:

Yep - you pretty much nailed it. Packers and Redskins are definitely not the same teams the Cowboys played earlier in the season. All have improved and/or gotten key previously injured players back.
Yeah but you could literally say that about a lot of teams throughout the year. Especially detroit who could have easily lost many games in the 4th to some lowly teams.

Minus New York, you could flip that narrative and say wow we have beaten some really good teams (GB, Pitt, Baltimore, Skins, etc.)
Ag12thman
AG
True.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
ce1994 said:

true but its also true that championship teams play their best ball in December and roll into the playoffs hot.

this December is not off to a good start and couple that with the Jerry Jones era of having a pattern of poor Decembers people should understand why some fans are a little jittery moving forward. on top of this, we have 2 straight games where our offense has been slowed significantly making people wonder if Dak and Linehan have been "solved" to some degree.

the Tampa game will be huge to tell us if this team can bounce back, and what we can expect going forward.

there are some other teams in the conference that pose match up problems with Dallas that are getting very very hot right now. Dallas can't afford not to get hot with them.
ce1994
AG
Dallas will need to make some adjustments no doubt.
CrottyKid
AG
Gotta help your QB out a little when the defense is rushing like rabid dogs. Throw in a draw, a screen pass, or something every now and then. Plus, Dez was not even mentally present. I mean, what was that guy doing? Dallas has to trade him. He is just not mentally prepared (or maybe not capable).
jr15aggie
AG
I think the loss was needed. Feels like they had sorta lost their edge in recent weeks and were slowly creeping towards a loss. Cold night, slick field, and it was obvious both teams had a really hard time holding onto the ball. It happens.

This team has work to do to clinch the East and the #1 seed... I'm fine with that!
DannyDuberstein
AG
I definitely would not be concerned if this was just a one game blip. My main concern is that some offensive cracks started to appear over the last few weeks, and they seem to be growing vs. shrinking.
ce1994
AG
The cracks are Dez Bryant. He is a hole out there.
jtstanley4621
AG
I guess the thing that's most frustrating to me was the defense played so incredibly well outside of that Odell 60 plus yard TD. If you give up 10 points, especially with the offense we have, you absolutely should win that game. In my opinion easily the best defensive performance of the season. Hopefully that's an encouraging sign moving forward.
gougler08
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

I guess the thing that's most frustrating to me was the defense played so incredibly well outside of that Odell 60 plus yard TD. If you give up 10 points, especially with the offense we have, you absolutely should win that game. In my opinion easily the best defensive performance of the season. Hopefully that's an encouraging sign moving forward.

The flip side is they were a ODB drop and an Eli fluke fumble from giving up 3 TDs. I think things balanced out
jtstanley4621
AG
gougler08 said:

jtstanley4621 said:

The flip side is they were a ODB drop and an Eli fluke fumble from giving up 3 TDs. I think things balanced out
True. Eli almost threw 5 picks in that game if we held on to the ball a couple more times though. They played well enough to win. The offensive playcalling didn't really take advantage of the turnovers.
gougler08
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

gougler08 said:

jtstanley4621 said:

True. Eli almost threw 5 picks in that game if we held on to the ball a couple more times though. They played well enough to win. The offensive playcalling didn't really take advantage of the turnovers.

Agreed, the defense wasn't the issue last night
jr15aggie
AG
It was not offensive conditions on that field. Advantage defense all night in that game. Very evident by the number of dropped balls, etc. on both sides. One of the Cowboys biggest strengths on offense is guys like Beasley and Witten running option rounds... hard cuts in or out. Those weren't there on a semi-frozen field (with semi-frozen legs).

I don't think there is anything to debate from that game. Winning streak had to end and I'm glad it's over. Next week will tell us all we need to know back home. I personally expect them to be back in form, but we'll see I guess.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
gougler08 said:

jtstanley4621 said:

And also add in the Giants are not a good team offensively. Im seeing lotsa praise this morn for the Cowboys D but lets keep in context who they were playing.
Gigem Trevas
Ag12thman said:

Gigem Trevas said:

Why is that? They'll be just fine, IMO. Just gotta get the O back in order.

The Dak and Romo debate will start to heat up.
mhayden
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

ce1994 said:

true but its also true that championship teams play their best ball in December and roll into the playoffs hot.

Except that's not true at all, it's just a quick line the talking heads like to throw out to hit their word/time requirements. Very similar to "you can throw the records out when it comes to a rivalry game".
PooDoo
AG
I have some questions.

Was Wilcox out?

Remind me again why Lance Dunbar is on the roster much less in the game in passing situations?

Is Romo as the backup taking practice reps away from Dak?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.