*** COWBOYS 2016 Season ***

280,381 Views | 3441 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ag Natural
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So the Cowboys used the 4th pick in the 2nd round to take a guy who may or may not play ever again.

Oh but apparently they had intel that the Pats might take him so that's pretty justifiable. Reminds me of when they took Shante Carver that year in the first round.

Reporters: "Hey Jerry...why did you guys reach for a player just about everyone had pegged as a 3rd or 4th rounder?"

Jerry: "Well we know for a fact that teams behind us were about to snap him up. In fact, Carmen Policy of the 49ers called to congratulate me on getting the steal of the draft."

NEWSFLASH JERRY: Carmen Policy was calling to laugh at you. He had you on speaker phone with an entire room of 49ers execs at the time laughing at you and trolling you.

So when is this new era of greatness under Stephen Jones supposed to start? I thought he was a genius and things were going to be so much better??
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
So the Cowboys used the 4th pick in the 2nd round to take a guy who may or may not play ever again.
I thought all of us already knew that. The ironic part of all of this is that Jaylon would have cashed in BIG time with his insurance policy for like every pick in the 2nd round he wasn't taken. He got very little of that policy when Dallas took him #4. And now he may never play past his rookie contract. Would have been MUCH better for Jaylon (money wise) if he fell into the 3rd round.

There is no serious conversation worth having about him for the time being. If we get to the draft next year and Jaylon's nerve is still jacked up we can have all sorts of talk about how LB is a huge need in the draft because we wasted last years 2nd rounder. I hope it works out because Jaylon is an incredible young man and would be a big leader on this team if not a heckuva player.
jr15aggie
AG
On the topic of back-up QB for Dak... Mark Sanchez did not play in the last pre-season game (meaning he is most likely going to get cut because you can't cut/trade an injured player so you simply don't play them to avoid injury).

This is the type of vet we are going to get stuck with, and as gross as it sounds, Sanchez might be the best we can hope for. I can only hope we aren't so snake bitten at QB that Romo & Dak both are out of commission and we have to turn to somebody like this for a few games. No thanks!!!!!!
Reginald Cousins
S
They approached Dallas about a trade and we're basically told, "We aren't taking his salary, we're fairly sure you're gonna cut him anyway". It's a situation to watch.
Sea Gull
AG
God bless, can we stop arguing about the draft? If Jaylen gets healthy, he's going to be a stud.

Let's talk about the upcoming season and not cry about spilled milk. This isn't the offseason anymore...I mean, technically it is, but it's too close to opening day to worry about this draft ***** They've got to win with what they've got, not with who they could've had.
Southlake
All I say about the GB games is that if we had run Murray behind the best O lone in football on 4 th and a half yard to go, the Cowboys would have scored and given the D more incentive.

Seattle doesn't pass the ball in the SB, they win, same goes for Dallas against GB. All anybody remembers is the " No catch".

Rant over.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
They approached Dallas about a trade and we're basically told, "We aren't taking his salary, we're fairly sure you're gonna cut him anyway". It's a situation to watch.
ROFL... Oh, I bet they did! They always do! Make it seem like there will be all these teams scrambling to sign Mark Sanchez after he's released. We'll keep our 7th round picks thank you very much and go dumpster diving for whoever is available to back-up our rookie for a few weeks (and Sanchez is going to be available!)

Question: If pre-season doesn't matter and defenses play so vanilla (which is the ONLY reason Dak looks good, right!?), then how come Sanchez looked like absolute crap in Denver the last couple weeks? And for that matter, how come Tom Brady and Aaron Rogers can't throw TD's with their eyes closed.

Answer: Because Sanchez really is a crap NFL QB and even Brady and Rogers can't put up Madden stats in pre-season... it's not THAT much different from the regular season.
Sea Gull
AG
Counterpoint: I really don't think Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady care about the pre-season. Rookies and Sanchez type players are going to bust their asses. And Sanchez really is that bad. I'm going to be pissed if the Cowboys waste a roster spot on that literal ass clown.
Jimmy Conway
quote:
Let's talk about the upcoming season and not cry about spilled milk.
Is it crying over spilled milk if the same milk keeps getting spilled over and over again? If it had been a one time gamble then that's one thing. If it had been a gamble taken after winning a title another thing. If it had been they had a great free agency adding a bunch of good players on defense and Smith was a luxury another thing too.

None of those were the cases. It's never the case. They have a 2nd round strategy that does not work.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Counterpoint: I really don't think Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady care about the pre-season. Rookies and Sanchez type players are going to bust their asses. And Sanchez really is that bad. I'm going to be pissed if the Cowboys waste a roster spot on that literal ass clown.

I concede it's a valid point. Another being sometimes vet. QB's use the pre-season to work on certain things. Sometimes it's a minor throwing mechanic tweak. Sometimes they are throwing to new/younger WRs just to see if they can really trust them when it's for real.

But yeah, vets like Sanchez are trying their best but they just can't hide who they are. Sanchez looked good at times but, LOL, then he'd throw an Int... then his defense would get the ball back 2 plays later... and then Sanchez would fumble and give it right back (that literally happened a couple weeks ago). Lot's of rookies try hard too and look very meh. It's nothing but good news that Dak has shown up the way he has.
Sea Gull
AG
quote:
quote:
Is it crying over spilled milk if the same milk keeps getting spilled over and over again? If it had been a one time gamble then that's one thing. If it had been a gamble taken after winning a title another thing. If it had been they had a great free agency adding a bunch of good players on defense and Smith was a luxury another thing too.

None of those were the cases. It's never the case. They have a 2nd round strategy that does not work.
Cool. We had April through last week to talk about. Bring it up on the offseason thread or stop ****ing whining about it until April. Not that hard to understand.
Sea Gull
AG
I agree, but it's REALLY hard to be a successful QB in the NFL in your rookie season. Not saying it can't be done, I'm just a big fan of having a guy sit for 2-3 years before starting. Similar to what Romo and Rodgers did. Helps them learn the game and mature a little bit. Luckily, Dak has an incredible amount of talent on the offensive side of the ball that can help him out.

Call me crazy, but the accuracy on intermediate-deep balls is going to be crucial for Dak. I can't tell you how many teams would put the entire secondary on the line to gain on 3rd downs when Weeden & Co were playing because they knew they wouldn't hurt them deep. I think Dan Quinn started it during the second half of the Atlanta game where they beat our ass into the ground. Having a healthy Dez is going to help tremendously, but Dak still needs to be able to hit something other than an underneath crossing route. I haven't watched enough pre-season to have an opinion on it. Just my $.02 on the subject. I hope he does well; he seems like a good dude.
jr15aggie
AG
Hey I agree. I'm very optimistic about Dak playing right now (specifically with this offense), but I also said in one of my many other posts that it is unfortunate his timeline was accelerated by another "Romo's down" incident. I think starting the season as a back-up and maybe playing a couple games for something minor mid season would have been perfect. But I'm still excited to see what he does week 1 win or lose.

And yes, the deep ball is indeed his friend. Zeke/Morris & Dez/Witten are also his friend. There are only so many things a defense can do to rattle a rookie QB if he's hitting deep balls and you got other big time players that the defense has to worry about.
PooDoo
AG
Id love to see what Zeke & Dak would do to that Red Rover defense.
Sea Gull
AG
Nothing too major regarding the cuts today:

• Moved Jaylon Smith to the Non-Football Injury list
  • Moved James Hanna to the PUP list
  • Moved Kellen Moore to the Reserved/Injured list

Curious to see what they do with Romo. Early analysis says he's out 6-10 weeks, so do they stick him on the Injuary list too and sign a veteran backup in the empty roster spot? That wouldn't be totally crazy would it.

Players released were:

• WR Rodney Smith
  • G Mike McQueen
  • G Dan Buchholz
  • WR Richard Mullaney
  • CB Arjen Colquhoun
  • LB Henoc Muamba

Nothing earth shattering. Final cuts are on Saturday. Getting closer, boys and girls.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
considering they are still not ruling Romo out for game one i'm not sure if they will put him on any PUP or anything. there's even talk he's had this injury before and played the next week with it. (not confirmed, just chatter i heard on the radio).
Ag Natural
AG
Definitely nobody from the Cowboys is saying 6 to 10 weeks. Keep in mind the PUP list puts him out through week 6 I believe. So if you think he'll be heeled by week 5, which is 6 weeks from the injury, then it doesn't make sense to put him on the PUP list.
Macarthur
quote:
considering they are still not ruling Romo out for game one i'm not sure if they will put him on any PUP or anything. there's even talk he's had this injury before and played the next week with it. (not confirmed, just chatter i heard on the radio).

I don't think they know what they are talking about.

When he played, he had a broken spinal process. That's a lot diff than what he has now. I'm no doctor, but I did stay...

Nevermind...I'm sure if I am incorrect there are a few docs on here that can correct me.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
quote:

I don't think they know what they are talking about.

When he played, he had a broken spinal process. That's a lot diff than what he has now. I'm no doctor, but I did stay...

Nevermind...I'm sure if I am incorrect there are a few docs on here that can correct me.

I think they were saying he had the injury and they didn't disclose it for fear other teams would go after his back. So a separate issue than the one we know about. This was totally off the record and thats where the "he may not be out as long as people think" might be coming from.
Ag Natural
AG
Man, I just watched the latest interview with Jalen Smith and I can 100% understan why the Cowboys went ahead and jumped on him early. That kid has the potential to be the front man for the defense. Even is he doesn't play this year it could still be worth it.

And oh by the way, you get the sneaky suspicion he could absolutely play this year. We shall see.
Macarthur
Okay, so I want this to be a serious conversation.

Assuming he is any sort of playing condition, at what point does JFF start getting some phone calls? I mean, would you rather have Sanchez or Johnny?
BMX Bandit
There's a dozen people you call before Manziel
Ag Natural
AG
quote:
Okay, so I want this to be a serious conversation.

Assuming he is any sort of playing condition, at what point does JFF start getting some phone calls? I mean, would you rather have Sanchez or Johnny?

I don't think he's close to being ready to play this year. Plus, he is still a bit of a project. Backups need to be vets who can step in.
Macarthur
Would you pick Sanchez over Johnny?
corleoneAg99
AG
Jeff George gets the call before Johnny does.
Goldie Wilson
quote:
You said you wanted to have a serious conversation, and then you post this question?
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Man, I just watched the latest interview with Jalen Smith and I can 100% understan why the Cowboys went ahead and jumped on him early. That kid has the potential to be the front man for the defense. Even is he doesn't play this year it could still be worth it.

And oh by the way, you get the sneaky suspicion he could absolutely play this year. We shall see.

It's best if you don't watch interviews etc. about him because he's a dang impressive kid and you'll be sad he can't suit up yet (Or ever). I've seen interviews of him when he came out of high school as a 5* and he was impressive then.

As a small business owner I would probably make up my mind 5 minutes into the interview that I would hire him. He's definitely a winner.

Southlake
Nobody wants the Dirty Sanchez...
PooDoo
AG
quote:

I just pray the kid gets it together. The spot light, money, fame, success, at that age... It would be tough without having the great parents, family, and friends that I have to keep from getting lured to the "dark side" so to speak.
Reginald Cousins
S
quote:
All I say about the GB games is that if we had run Murray behind the best O lone in football on 4 th and a half yard to go, the Cowboys would have scored and given the D more incentive.

Seattle doesn't pass the ball in the SB, they win, same goes for Dallas against GB. All anybody remembers is the " No catch".

Rant over.
Yet a Murray fumble was one of the turning points of the game... good call.
Reginald Cousins
S
quote:
quote:
quote:

Cool. We had April through last week to talk about. Bring it up on the offseason thread or stop ****ing whining about it until April. Not that hard to understand.
Darth Football
Tapper may not play at all again. He's getting a 2nd opinion but apparently the first opinion recommended he not take the field anymore. If that holds, then we have another wasted pick on an injured player.
corleoneAg99
AG
quote:
Tapper may not play at all again. He's getting a 2nd opinion but apparently the first opinion recommended he not take the field anymore. If that holds, then we have another wasted pick on an injured player.

You're not allowed to complain on this thread about the offseason.

HTH.
corleoneAg99
AG
Speaking of, Sean Lee getting the old MRI on the knee. Hoping to play week 1 but, you know, right?
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Speaking of, Sean Lee getting the old MRI on the knee. Hoping to play week 1 but, you know, right?
Please tell me that's a friggin joke!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.