*** COWBOYS 2016 Season ***

280,286 Views | 3441 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ag Natural
DannyDuberstein
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That play happened with about 4:30 left, and even with GB in clock kill mode, they couldn't get a stop to get the ball back.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Funny thing is our DBs and LBs did the best they could do that game. They played decent. Its the DLs lack of any push that let Rodgers have his way to win it for them. Like I said...they dont have significant upgrades in place to make me think they will be any better. The 2 "names" they got are barely above JAG level.
jr15aggie
AG
Can we not talk about Green Bay... it still hurts too much.

I'm just now to the point where I can think about Patrick Crayton dropping that deep crossing route against the Giants back in 07 w/out wanting to cry a little bit. But even that one still hurts a little when I think about it!
Ag Natural
AG
quote:
quote:
So there's a ton of unproven but also undeveloped talent in house. I'm sure they'd love to get a proven commodity but I doubt they would go get and average vet right now when they still want to see how these kids play out. If just two or three turn out to be good then it's not as bad as it seems.

they have been using this approach for 3 years now. has it worked? no it has not. it can be argued that a lack of pass rush cost them a Super Bowl appearance in 2014. their strategy of trying to find guys who may or may not work out or guys to develop is a failed strategy. and so far its just preseason, but its looking like it will fail once again in 2016. not sure why they deserve any benefit of the doubt. teams like the Patriots recognize what they need to do, recognize short comings and address them appropriately. the Cowboys sit around hoping Marinelli can work his magic on a bunch of JAGs or worse...scrubs.
I'm not saying they deserve the benefit of the doubt and that all is well. I'm just saying they have made a lot of moves in this area and it's unlikely that they'd go sign someone else unless they knew it was a certain home run. They just passed on Demontre. Last year they went and got the woman beater and nobody really liked that move either. So what do you do? Right now there are 3 or 4 young guys with almost zero real game experience. Do you run with them and hope a couple pan out? or do you go all out for a vet with a troubled past that might be available?

New England went and got Mingo but they also let Chandler Jones go. IMO, a bad move but they are New England so they get to do whatever they want.
Sea Gull
AG
quote:
Can we not talk about Green Bay... it still hurts too much.

I'm just now to the point where I can think about Patrick Crayton dropping that deep crossing route against the Giants back in 07 w/out wanting to cry a little bit. But even that one still hurts a little when I think about it!
Bro...I was already having a bad day.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
So there's a ton of unproven but also undeveloped talent in house. I'm sure they'd love to get a proven commodity but I doubt they would go get and average vet right now when they still want to see how these kids play out. If just two or three turn out to be good then it's not as bad as it seems.

they have been using this approach for 3 years now. has it worked? no it has not. it can be argued that a lack of pass rush cost them a Super Bowl appearance in 2014. their strategy of trying to find guys who may or may not work out or guys to develop is a failed strategy. and so far its just preseason, but its looking like it will fail once again in 2016. not sure why they deserve any benefit of the doubt. teams like the Patriots recognize what they need to do, recognize short comings and address them appropriately. the Cowboys sit around hoping Marinelli can work his magic on a bunch of JAGs or worse...scrubs.
I'm not saying they deserve the benefit of the doubt and that all is well. I'm just saying they have made a lot of moves in this area and it's unlikely that they'd go sign someone else unless they knew it was a certain home run. They just passed on Demontre. Last year they went and got the woman beater and nobody really liked that move either. So what do you do? Right now there are 3 or 4 young guys with almost zero real game experience. Do you run with them and hope a couple pan out? or do you go all out for a vet with a troubled past that might be available?

New England went and got Mingo but they also let Chandler Jones go. IMO, a bad move but they are New England so they get to do whatever they want.
how bout in the 2nd round get a guy like Noah Spence (who many of us advocated for) instead of a guy who may or may not suit up ever again? Spence btw is apparently so far looking very promising in Tampa. its not just this past offseason, its other offseasons too. their MO is that they think Marinelli can coach any guy up, and he simply cannot.
PooDoo
AG
Randy Gregory ring a bell?
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Randy Gregory failed a drug test right before the combine and again right before the draft. They took him anyway.

Noah Spence by all accounts has been on his behavior for 2 years and those who have observed him say he's not anything like he was before.

They are 2 different guys with 2 sets of priorities it appears.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Randy Gregory failed a drug test right before the combine and again right before the draft. They took him anyway.

Noah Spence by all accounts has been on his behavior for 2 years and those who have observed him say he's not anything like he was before.

They are 2 different guys with 2 sets of priorities it appears.
And not only that, the Cowboys took a HUGE risk with Jaylon Smith and we are still waiting to see if there is even hope he'll even play again (as far as I know his nerve still isn't firing).

So if you are all for gambling in the 2nd round, and that's apparently what the Cowboys love to do, why don't you take a risk with a guy who can play right away at a very big need position.

I'd personally like to see the Cowboys stop all this "yeah but, he should have been a 1st rounder" with their 2nd pick, but if they were gonna do it I had zero problem with Noah Spence.
jr15aggie
AG
Listening to some very good sports talk about Dak and what he could have in common with recent rookie QB success stories. The names they dropped were Vince, RG III, & Russel. All these guys led their team to the playoffs as rookies.

Your first instinct is to say Defense and that would only be correct for Wilson. Both Vince & RG III had very bad defenses that year (the Titans were dead last in defense that year according to these guys). What they all had in common were top flight run games (aided by the fact that all those QBs were also mobil). I forget the rankings, but each of those guys had a team with a top 5 rushing attack.

Goes back to what I've said... the best thing, to me, about Dak is his poise in the pocket and willingness to let it go deep with accuracy. Defenses cannot crowd the box so long as he is threatening with the pass, but good luck if you don't load the box against the Zeke/Morris combo behind our O-line. Come 4th quarter we are running the football and there is nothing you can do about it!!!

Ag Natural
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

how bout in the 2nd round get a guy like Noah Spence (who many of us advocated for) instead of a guy who may or may not suit up ever again? Spence btw is apparently so far looking very promising in Tampa. its not just this past offseason, its other offseasons too. their MO is that they think Marinelli can coach any guy up, and he simply cannot.
Well they can't go back and re-pick. I'm talking about RIGHT NOW. They made a half dozen moves to address the dline and they've had some bad luck with Tapper getting hurt and the two knuckleheads getting suspended. Yeah, maybe picking Spence would have made all the difference but they didn't pick him. So what's next? I see a lot of criticism about a failure to address an obvious shortcoming. It's not like they haven't tried anything.

Besides, if I were to re-pick I'd still lean linebacker... except a healthy one. You can use linebackers to generate pass rush, see Von. And really that is one of Smith's strengths as well if he ever sees the field.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
Listening to some very good sports talk about Dak and what he could have in common with recent rookie QB success stories. The names they dropped were Vince, RG III, & Russel. All these guys led their team to the playoffs as rookies.

Your first instinct is to say Defense and that would only be correct for Wilson. Both Vince & RG III had very bad defenses that year (the Titans were dead last in defense that year according to these guys). What they all had in common were top flight run games (aided by the fact that all those QBs were also mobil). I forget the rankings, but each of those guys had a team with a top 5 rushing attack.

Goes back to what I've said... the best thing, to me, about Dak is his poise in the pocket and willingness to let it go deep with accuracy. Defenses cannot crowd the box so long as he is threatening with the pass, but good luck if you don't load the box against the Zeke/Morris combo behind our O-line. Come 4th quarter we are running the football and there is nothing you can do about it!!!

Agreed take some ****ing guys who can play that year. Sick of the "he woulda been a first rounder" rhetoric we get every year. And do your appropriate due diligence on guys and their health. Apparently there were concerns over Tappers back going back to pre draft.
jr15aggie
AG
Yeah, you almost hope Jaylon Smith never plays and the Cowboys will finally stop the madness with their 2nd round picks. But obviously I really really want Jaylon Smith to not only play, but be as awesome as his pre-injury top 5 pick projected him to be.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
the recent work out videos of him posted make it look like dude is back to 100% already. obviously to the trained eye i guess they can maybe spot his dropped foot issue.
Ag Natural
AG
Do you really need nerves to play football?
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
the recent work out videos of him posted make it look like dude is back to 100% already. obviously to the trained eye i guess they can maybe spot his dropped foot issue.
That would be awesome! The talk I've heard from some of the Cowboys sport writers is he is definitely still in the mix this year if his knee (or rather his nerve) heals accordingly. It's hard to fathom and I typically just ignore the comments until he actually suites up... but the organization is still counting on him.

I can see it now... our first game after the bye week and 100% Romo is now back-up to Dak. Jaylon Smith comes onto the field for his first game and immediately starts going Tecmo Bowl on opposing offenses. Jerry Jones has a millior... er... billion $ grin... dogs & cats are living together... mass hysteria!!!!
Reginald Cousins
S
DMC. His nickname is DMC.
Reginald Cousins
S
quote:
Yeah, you almost hope Jaylon Smith never plays and the Cowboys will finally stop the madness with their 2nd round picks. But obviously I really really want Jaylon Smith to not only play, but be as awesome as his pre-injury top 5 pick projected him to be.
"stop the madness"? I'd love to see the history of second round picks that should have been firsts that they gambled on... anyone? Bueller?

Gregory.
Smith.

Who am I missing? Madness?

I'll fill it in for this decade...

Lawrence
Escobar
Crawford
Carter
Lee

Just madness.
corleoneAg99
AG
Suspended DE.

Useless TE.

Carter even still in the league?

Lee great but always a hit away.

Annnnnd TCraw who got paid and now seems to always be hurt.

I swear...I have no idea how some team hasn't hired Jerry to GM their team. He's clearly SO good at it!
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
quote:
"stop the madness"? I'd love to see the history of second round picks that should have been firsts that they gambled on... anyone? Bueller?

Gregory.
Smith.

Who am I missing? Madness?

I'll fill it in for this decade...

Lawrence
Escobar
Crawford
Carter
Lee

Just madness.

Lee Carter and Gregory are all guys they touted as first round talents according to their board who they took in the 2nd and then told the world what steals they got. Its not any kinda reach to call this their mo.
Reginald Cousins
S
quote:
Suspended DE.

Useless TE.

I swear...I have no idea how some team hasn't hired Jerry to GM their team. He's clearly SO good at it!
Now show me the 2nd round hit rate for the rest of the NFL. Thanks for taking the bait, I knew I could count on you, blanket. It's extremely low, all over the league - but don't let facts get in the way.
Reginald Cousins
S
You're missing the point. I'm looking for madness. If you think taking Lee in the second fits that bill... we fundamentally disagree.
corleoneAg99
AG
quote:
quote:
Suspended DE.

Useless TE.

Now show me the 2nd round hit rate for the rest of the NFL. Thanks for taking the bait, I knew I could count on you, blanket. It's extremely low, all over the league - but don't let facts get in the way.

Which facts? For example, the clubs playoff record since Switzer? Those kind of facts.

But yeah. Jerrys killing it, brah.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
You're missing the point. I'm looking for madness. If you think taking Lee in the second fits that bill... we fundamentally disagree.

I think I just figured out the problem with some of y'all... you take certain words or statements way too seriously! It's a message board. Most of the time we are just messing around (or at least I know I am). Do I really think our 2nd round picks is "madness"... NO. It's just something I wrote in a few seconds while taking a break at work.
Reginald Cousins
S
quote:
quote:
quote:
Suspended DE.

Useless TE.

Which facts? For example, the clubs playoff record since Switzer? Those kind of facts.

I think I speak for most Cowboys fans when I encourage you to find a team that makes you happier.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
we already had this discussion in another thread. if you have the proof that Dallas has drafted just as well as others in the 2nd round then post a link. not saying its not true, just saying i don't have time or resources to look that up. but on the surface, yes I'd be highly surprised if it was true that they have drafted better than a majority of teams in the 2nd round. that would also depend on the metric being used. are we using games started? pro bowls? etc..
corleoneAg99
AG
NM
corleoneAg99
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Suspended DE.

Useless TE.

I think I speak for most Cowboys fans when I encourage you to find a team that makes you happier.

You seem like a guy i should take advice from.
Reginald Cousins
S

jr15aggie
AG
It's time for the season to start... That's something we can all agree on. Right?
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Encouraging Assessment on Jaylon Smith

/sarcasm

*don't know who this guy is, but other users seem to be giving his opinion some importance.
Jimmy Conway
quote:
*don't know who this guy is, but other users seem to be giving his opinion some importance.

Former long time team Dr of the Chargers. Now provides injury scoops and insight to injuries around the league.

His word isn't gospel by any means but this definitely isn't something you want to hear. Forget about 2016 completely with this guy and you probably shouldn't count on 2017 either. Solid use of a premium draft pick by Dallas.
TheCougarHunter
AG
Unbelievable that they made the jaylon pick in that situation.

We have 6, maybe 7 guys that would be starters on other teams. This defense might be the worst in the NFL this year.

Better hope Dak is as good as we hope because it's going to be a long season.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I hate the pick, but the fact he wont play in 2016 should not be news to anyone. that was never going to happen. Playing ever is the question. Betting on nerve damage to recover is just a really dumb gamble to make with anything of value.
PooDoo
AG
Crawford was a 3rd rounder.

Lee, Carter, Gregory, & Smith are the more recent 1st round talent guys that dropped.

Andre Gurode, Flozell Adams, & another LB maybe Darrin Smith or Godfrey Miles.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.