*** COWBOYS 2016 Season ***

280,279 Views | 3441 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ag Natural
BassCowboy33
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bonfarr said:

BassCowboy33 said:

bonfarr said:

PooDoo said:

Romo isn't a garbage time back up. That will end his career.

Even with the first team offensive line? He wants to play next season I imagine he wants an opportunity to show other franchises that he still can.

It is not the Cowboys' job to make sure Romo plays this seaso or next. Their job is to win games in any way necessary. If the opportunity presents itself for Romo to see small amounts of action, then go ahead; but don't go out trying to find a way to get Romo playing time.

I agree the Cowboys don't owe Romo an opportunity to market himself. My response was to his comment that playing in the second half of a big win would end Romo's career.
Ag Natural
AG
The funny part about predictions is nobody really knows. However, what is utterly predictable is that some fans will always predict doom and gloom and proclaim Jerry sucks and will never make the right decision. And some fans will always say "it might work".

My only beef with the draft day wannabe analysts is this insistence on getting "value" for each pick. The statement "this RB would be okay at pick 25 but is just a ludicrous pick at #4". We see it all offseason. Running backs, centers, etc... just don't "spend too much". Well you know what? Last I checked you need a team full of good players to win and if you have a few dominant players it makes some of your other less dominant players look better.

So what if I had an equation that shows how a dominant RB taken with a high pick allows you to start a freaking rookie QB? When most teams are spending a fortune on a QB position that would seem to be desirable position to be in right? Well I believe you can make these kinds of decisions and tradeoffs all over the place within a football roster and in the end get the job done. I mean, if they go 15-1 is any lamenting "over paying" for anybody on this roster? Outside of Jalen Smith.. probably not.
jr15aggie
AG
Especially at draft time it's a crap shoot. Some good entertainment going back after the fact, but nobody really knows back then.

The only thing I'll pat myself on the back for is saying after the 2nd pre-season game, "This kid is special". Lot's of "it's only preseason" naysayers out there. But it seemed very obvious to me that Dak had something that couldn't be measured by stats, by arm strength etc. I still don't know what it is.

Pocket presence is the only way to describe it I guess. Tom Brady is the champ at this. I guess you watch enough football in your life you can just tell when QBs are staring down WRs, etc. With Dak you can just sense he's in complete control.
PatAg
AG
Just think you have to find a way to get Romo some game time if you can. He hasn't played in the regular season in so long, I don't think you want his first snaps being in the post season if he has to come in for Dak at some point. Then you also get a secondary benefit, in that you can show off that he still has it and get more in a potential trade for him.
jr15aggie
AG
Apparently Zeke & Dak are #1 & #2 in fan pro bowl voting!

LOL to those guys who bashed both of them saying Dak was a pre-season fluke and Zeke was a wasted #4 overall pick! I believe that is a 5 course meal that begins with crow, followed by a small side of crow... concluding with crow for dessert!
Rudyjax
AG
The way I can tell if a guy has it or not is, does he make the game look easy.

Watch a bad QB. He makes playing QB look as hard as it really is.
Reginald Cousins
S
Unthought Known said:

a la Bryce Petty, last night.
jr15aggie
AG
Unthought Known said:

That's a great way of putting it.

If you want to compare rookie QBs, it looks really easy for Dak and also looks pretty easy for Wentz. Even though Wentz doesn't have the offense or wins like Dak does, the game doesn't look "hard" for Carson. Dallas & Philly (unfortunately) are probably set at QB for the next decade.

Goff on the other hand... sorry LA.
Ag Natural
AG
Wentz hasn't looked great lately.

I disagree with the "makes it look easy" approach to evaluating. Many QBs will look great when everything is clicking with the running game, play action, WRs getting open. The true test of a QB is how he looks when everything goes to crap. That is harder to judge with a small sample. So far Dak hasn't blown any games which automatically puts him in elite status among rookie QBs. He seems very, very composed. Against Minn it was interesting that he ran a little more... I'm guessing due to the great coverage the Vikes put on you. Doing what it takes to win is an intangible quality. Some guys have it.. some don't.
Rudyjax
AG
Reginald Cousins said:

Unthought Known said:

I turned it off after Luck secured my win. What happened?
DannyDuberstein
AG
He replaced Fitzpatrick for the 2nd half and looked like hot garbage.
BassCowboy33
Ag Natural said:

Wentz hasn't looked great lately.

I disagree with the "makes it look easy" approach to evaluating. Many QBs will look great when everything is clicking with the running game, play action, WRs getting open. The true test of a QB is how he looks when everything goes to crap. That is harder to judge with a small sample. So far Dak hasn't blown any games which automatically puts him in elite status among rookie QBs. He seems very, very composed. Against Minn it was interesting that he ran a little more... I'm guessing due to the great coverage the Vikes put on you. Doing what it takes to win is an intangible quality. Some guys have it.. some don't.

Troy Aikman looked awful for nearly his entire rookie season (when he wasn't injured).
Line up and wait 18L
http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2016/11/18/dale-hansen-tony-romo-cowboys-losing-troy-aikman-roger-staubach-losing-danny-white

WFAA-TV sports anchor Dale Hansen offered his thoughts on Tony Romo during his unplugged segment on Ch. 8 recently. Here are some highlights.
It's hard for Romo now -- he says he's in a dark place. Maybe his darkest place ever, but I know millions of Americans who live in an even darker place. Millions of Americans who lost their jobs through no fault of their own. And don't have Romo's bank account to fall back on either.
Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has paid Romo almost $100 million, saying he has at least four or five good years left. And it turned out to be only one.

Ten years a starter, and only two playoff wins. The Cowboys aren't losing Troy Aikman or Roger Staubach, they're losing Danny White. He was every bit as good, and he won more.
I've never been impressed by the pinball machine numbers Romo has put up. He says quarterbacks are judged by the championships they win. And while I don't think that's always fair, it is the reality of playing any game in America.
Romo's problem is the problem that so many great athletes have. Very few get to leave on their own terms. Because their terms would be that they never leave.
When the Cowboys lost a game in Philadelphia, knocking them out of the playoffs, and Romo was getting much of the blame as he always did, it was Tony Romo who said, "If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I will have lived a good life."
I hope he can remember that, because I would say the same thing to him now. Tony Romo has lived a very good life. He's been a very good quarterback, and it's not over yet.

jteagle
AG
Unthought Known said:

Are you talking about Jay Cutler?
jtstanley4621
AG
jteagle said:

Unthought Known said:

Are you talking about Jay Cutler?
Smokin' Jay is an american treasure. I like to call him the diabetic rocket.

Reginald Cousins
S
Unthought Known said:

Reginald Cousins said:

Unthought Known said:

What DD said.

Hot garbage.

Was slinging the rock, but it came nowhere close to target 70% of the time. Balls in the dirt, over the head, etc.
MooreTrucker
AG
Reginald Cousins said:

Unthought Known said:

Reginald Cousins said:

Unthought Known said:

What DD said.

Hot garbage.

Was slinging the rock, but it came nowhere close to target 70% of the time. Balls in the dirt, over the head, into the hands of the other team, etc.
FIFY
BassCowboy33
GoHomeLeg said:

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2016/11/18/dale-hansen-tony-romo-cowboys-losing-troy-aikman-roger-staubach-losing-danny-white

WFAA-TV sports anchor Dale Hansen offered his thoughts on Tony Romo during his unplugged segment on Ch. 8 recently. Here are some highlights.
It's hard for Romo now -- he says he's in a dark place. Maybe his darkest place ever, but I know millions of Americans who live in an even darker place. Millions of Americans who lost their jobs through no fault of their own. And don't have Romo's bank account to fall back on either.
Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has paid Romo almost $100 million, saying he has at least four or five good years left. And it turned out to be only one.

Ten years a starter, and only two playoff wins. The Cowboys aren't losing Troy Aikman or Roger Staubach, they're losing Danny White. He was every bit as good, and he won more.
I've never been impressed by the pinball machine numbers Romo has put up. He says quarterbacks are judged by the championships they win. And while I don't think that's always fair, it is the reality of playing any game in America.
Romo's problem is the problem that so many great athletes have. Very few get to leave on their own terms. Because their terms would be that they never leave.
When the Cowboys lost a game in Philadelphia, knocking them out of the playoffs, and Romo was getting much of the blame as he always did, it was Tony Romo who said, "If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I will have lived a good life."
I hope he can remember that, because I would say the same thing to him now. Tony Romo has lived a very good life. He's been a very good quarterback, and it's not over yet.

They played this on The Ticket a couple weeks back. I've never liked Hanson, but this pushed him into my "People I wouldn't be all that upset if they walked in front of a bus and left this mortal coil". The dude is a grade A ******bag. The Hardline went ballistic on him.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Agree about Hansen. I just can't stomach that blowhard, and if I happen to be watching WFAA news, I'll change the channel when his sports segment comes on.
jtstanley4621
AG
Hanson with the incredibly stupid "team stat pushed upon an individual player" comparison. I hate it when I hear people say that a certain QB is just "a winner." You can be incredibly clutch and win games (Brady, Rogers, Roethlisberger, etc.) but football has been and always will be a team sport. The QB can't do everything. It always makes me cringe when I hear people say a QB is "a winner."
Ag Natural
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

GoHomeLeg said:

They played this on The Ticket a couple weeks back. I've never liked Hanson, but this pushed him into my "People I wouldn't be all that upset if they walked in front of a bus and left this mortal coil". The dude is a grade A ******bag. The Hardline went ballistic on him.
Sounds like a dbag for sure. Isn't this guy one of the Dallas sportstalk royalty members? These guys tend to be so full of themselves. Romo has been incredibly impressive throughout his career. He hasn't had a ton of playoff success but his teams have been hot garbage most of his years.
BassCowboy33
Ag Natural said:

BassCowboy33 said:

GoHomeLeg said:

Sounds like a dbag for sure. Isn't this guy one of the Dallas sportstalk royalty members? These guys tend to be so full of themselves. Romo has been incredibly impressive throughout his career. He hasn't had a ton of playoff success but his teams have been hot garbage most of his years.

He's definitely a known name. He was the color guy for the Cowboys during the glory years, but Jerry fired him because he's a ******bag. Since then, Dale has loved piling on Jerry and the Cowboys.
Rudyjax
AG
Dale is hot garbage.
jr15aggie
AG
http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2016/12/06/still-suspended-randy-gregory-could-start-practicing-again-wednesday

Gregory can start practicing again on Wednesday. So let's hit a few key points here:

• There are rumors he either failed or missed a drug test and could serve a years suspension. Who knows why the NFL is so cryptic about this stuff. Either he's suspended or he isn't.
  • The earliest he could play would be week 16 and then into the playoffs.
  • Guy hasn't played in a game in a long time, even if he plays it's important to limit expectations
  • Still, the guy has been at The Star working out. If you listen to any of the radio shows you will know just how impressed the sport writers are watching him do drills (in summer camps and recently while working out). They say the guy moves & glides like D-Ware and that he literally puts everybody else on the roster to shame. He is one of the most gifted athletes on the team... amazing physical gifts.
  • We'll probably know a lot more next week... are the Cowboys even working him into team drills as if he could possibly play in a few weeks. If not it probably tells us all we need to know about his availability.

Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

GoHomeLeg said:

can't stand this ****in ahole.
Goldie Wilson
Unthought Known said:

Dale is hot garbage.
You probably don't understand his world, but you need to understand that he's part of yours
Bullmoose
AG
Ten years a starter, and only two playoff wins

Da truth.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
jr15aggie said:

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2016/12/06/still-suspended-randy-gregory-could-start-practicing-again-wednesday

Gregory can start practicing again on Wednesday. So let's hit a few key points here:

• There are rumors he either failed or missed a drug test and could serve a years suspension. Who knows why the NFL is so cryptic about this stuff. Either he's suspended or he isn't.
  • The earliest he could play would be week 16 and then into the playoffs.
  • Guy hasn't played in a game in a long time, even if he plays it's important to limit expectations
  • Still, the guy has been at The Star working out. If you listen to any of the radio shows you will know just how impressed the sport writers are watching him do drills (in summer camps and recently while working out). They say the guy moves & glides like D-Ware and that he literally puts everybody else on the roster to shame. He is one of the most gifted athletes on the team... amazing physical gifts.
  • We'll probably know a lot more next week... are the Cowboys even working him into team drills as if he could possibly play in a few weeks. If not it probably tells us all we need to know about his availability.

not so fast my friend.....

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18222122/cowboys-de-randy-gregory-not-allowed-practice-cowboys
PatAg
AG
GoHomeLeg said:

Please don't link that garbage can's opinions in here. Dale Hansen is the definition of an overly inflated ego.
Line up and wait 18L
PatAg said:

GoHomeLeg said:

Please don't link that garbage can's opinions in here. Dale Hansen is the definition of an overly inflated ego.
I don't care for the guy myself. I thought the article had some very good points. Tony is a great guy and I wish him well. I think it would be best for him to retire and protect what is left of his health. I wish him the best if he continues to play.
jr15aggie
AG
JPP had surgery and is out! They say it will be at least the conference championship before he is back.

It is with respect to his talent that I say that is good news. Great news really. Guy was back in form this year. Great player.

I wish him a speedy recovery... During the off-season.
Macarthur
jr15aggie said:

JPP had surgery and is out! They say it will be at least the conference championship before he is back.

It is with respect to his talent that I say that is good news. Great news really. Guy was back in form this year. Great player.

Yes, this is a big help.

As a side note, I wouldn't mind us kicking the tires on JPP this offseason.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Macarthur said:

jr15aggie said:

Yes, this is a big help.

i wont single out JPP (although that would be great) but i think its fairly evident right now that if Dallas had that one elite pass rusher they'd easily be the clear cut favorites to win it all right now. as it stands, they still might be for a lot of people but i still think there's a team or 2 in the playoffs that will pose us serious problems because we lack it.
Ag Natural
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Macarthur said:

jr15aggie said:

Yes, this is a big help.

i wont single out JPP (although that would be great) but i think its fairly evident right now that if Dallas had that one elite pass rusher they'd easily be the clear cut favorites to win it all right now. as it stands, they still might be for a lot of people but i still think there's a team or 2 in the playoffs that will pose us serious problems because we lack it.
Yep, if the Cowboys and Pats make the Superbowl that might be the record for least amount of pass rushing ability in one championship game.
jr15aggie
AG
Gregory is apparently very much on the table still for our playoff run. What I heard this morning was that even if something did happen and the NFL tries to lay down a 1 year suspension for him, he will appeal and the appeal will run into the offseason.

So, for now anyways, they are saying he will be available week 15 & 16 + playoffs.

So here's a guy with natural God given pass rush ability & fresh legs. Plays maybe 10-15 snaps a game in passing downs and he has 1 job... get the QB. I don't expect huge things, but it could give us a little boost!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.