*** COWBOYS 2016 Season ***

279,341 Views | 3441 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ag Natural
PooDoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It has begun...

toucan82
14-2

Mark it down
corleoneAg99
AG
Three things from Saturday:

- Dak and Jameil both looked good...helps make watching a preseason game much less of a beating.

- Chaz - still some time but based on what we saw Saturday there's a pretty good chance he's another wasted top 100 pick.

- Nzeocha - or however you spell it...he didn't look awful. Might be some much needed LB depth.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
Three things from Saturday:

- Dak and Jameil both looked good...helps make watching a preseason game much less of a beating.

- Chaz - still some time but based on what we saw Saturday there's a pretty good chance he's another wasted top 100 pick.

- Nzeocha - or however you spell it...he didn't look awful. Might be some much needed LB depth.

hate to sound like a Cowboys snob but i really to detest some other Cowboys fans. i've seen so much talk on social media today from dumbasses who are already wanting to dump Romo for Dak.
corleoneAg99
AG
Yeah it all has to be in context...neither is the next Luck or Russ or anything BUT they also don't appear to be Dustin spareass Vaughn.

jr15aggie
AG
Let's cut Chaz a little slack. He missed his entire rookie training camp with an injury. He's only gotten a few weeks of real, on the field, practice. He also looked much worse in the 2nd half which tells me that big boy's not in game shape yet (nobody on the team is ready to go 4 quarters this early into camp).

It's definitely a bit worrisome, but there are good reasons to be a little patient with the guy right now.
jr15aggie
AG
And as far as Dak is concerned, keep giving the guy reps. Perhaps it was just a one time fluke, but I think we all saw a few things that we haven't seen since Romo was a young pup.

He's nothing like Romo in terms of style, but it was obvious back in the day that Romo had that extra something that none of the other wanna-be QBs had. It wasn't anything measurable, but it was obvious watching it on TV. Felt the same way about Dak on Saturday, there was something there that I haven't seen in a recent Cowboys QB other than Romo. I really hope it wasn't just a one time deal.

It would be WONDERFUL if Dak does have the "it" factory because we all said it would be a waste if a young/promising QB didn't get a chance to learn under Romo.

PooDoo
AG
Broaddus mentioned Chaz might have had more issues with conditioning than anything.

Lord knows Free spared it up when he was out of shape.

I'd hope there was a plan with Dak. They need to figure out if he is a franchise QB or they need to make him look like one and trade him for multiple picks.
corleoneAg99
AG
Oh and the late round RB they played quite a bit...the guy who couldn't get a combine invite somehow?....looks like quite the athlete.

So assuming Zeke starts and Morris is the primary back up, will they keep Dunbar AND McFadden and just hope they can get that kid to the PS?

Or just cut McFadden I guess.
Macarthur
quote:
Oh and the late round RB they played quite a bit...the guy who couldn't get a combine invite somehow?....looks like quite the athlete.

So assuming Zeke starts and Morris is the primary back up, will they keep Dunbar AND McFadden and just hope they can get that kid to the PS?

Or just cut McFadden I guess.
I like that RB, too

Dak looked good. Don't want to get too excited but his poise was great and I noticed dilfer had some interesting comments about his eyes looking guys off. Said that shows maturity that many rookies don't have.

Liked that LBer too. Hitchens looks solid. Wilson has a chance to be solid when he plays and of course Lee is good. Of course health is key.

I think the DL is going to be an interesting thing to watch. All the talk w Crawford is how he played most of last year w a bad shoulder. He has a chance to bounce back well. Lots of talk about how Lawrence is showing that he's ready to splash.

Thornton is a solid to above age guy.

And there's excitement about Irving. If they can find 3 or 4 guys that can play, and are healthy, that group has a chance to be better than expected.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
I wana see Showers get reps w 1s too. Dak will get 2-4 yrs of evaluation time. Here and now a decision has to be made on whether they will keep 2 QBs or 3. If 3, is the odd man out Showers or Moore? Moore had his chance w the 1s last year.
jr15aggie
AG
Read something that Malik Collins is back in practice (limited). That's great news, I was under the impression he'd be off his feet most of training camp. If the guy can get some work in that will go a long ways in him being a better contributor in the Dline rotation.
hph6203
AG
quote:
I wana see Showers get reps w 1s too. Dak will get 2-4 yrs of evaluation time. Here and now a decision has to be made on whether they will keep 2 QBs or 3. If 3, is the odd man out Showers or Moore? Moore had his chance w the 1s last year.

Won't they just put Moore on injured reserve/PUP list and keep Prescott and Showers? Why would they use a roster spot for a guy that can't even walk right now?
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
quote:

Won't they just put Moore on injured reserve/PUP list and keep Prescott and Showers? Why would they use a roster spot for a guy that can't even walk right now?
yes Moore would be PUPd for now but sooner or later that decision has to be made on him VS Showers.

the more immediate decision is keeping 2 or 3 QBs on the roster. if Showers has decent showings with the scrubs of the club then i don't think they will be able to sneak him onto the practice squad. another team that can afford to keep 3 QBs will take a chance on him and see what he can do and if he can be developed further.
Sea Gull
AG
I think they've gotten enough of a sample size with Moore to know what we they have there.

How did Morris look?
ce1994
AG
If and when Romo gets hurt and Precott is sent out there I want this thing bumped. It will be mass suicide for Cowboys fans and I just wanted to say "I told you so".
PooDoo
AG
quote:
I think they've gotten enough of a sample size with Moore to know what we they have there.

How did Morris look?

Alfred? Not spectacular but tough. Was surprised he was able to catch that screen with his history of bad hands.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
If and when Romo gets hurt and Precott is sent out there I want this thing bumped. It will be mass suicide for Cowboys fans and I just wanted to say "I told you so".
PooDoo
AG
quote:

What did you tell us?
corleoneAg99
AG
quote:
Yeah it all has to be in context...neither is the next Luck or Russ or anything BUT they also don't appear to be Dustin spareass Vaughn.

Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
quote:

What did you tell us?

Seriously. Im confused by that post.
PooDoo
AG
I did find a post that should negate any Romo/Prescott predictions.

Yes, I do. I think McFadden is better than Elliot. I think you can get three more years out of McFadden.

EDIT: The search sent me down the rabbit hole on the Offseason Thread...
Bass posted about Prescott getting arrested for DUI and Duberstein knocked it out of the park with this
quote:
Knowing Jerry, it will just mean he'll hope to get him in the 5th vs the 3rd.
ce1994
AG
It is impossible to have an intelligent conversation with some of you guys. But it is the internet so oh well.

1) If the Cowboys go into the season with Prescott as the back up quarterback they will regret it if Romo gets hurt. Of course the batch of proven veterans they had last year made me want to pull my eyes out. But Orton was the prototype back-up. He knows he can't start but is more than capable if called upon. Precott, if thrown into the fire this year, will wilt. That was obvious in my post but it confused people that only read from their phone. Go to a library sometime and expand your mind.
2) Now to the post about McFadden. The Cowboys drafted a running back with the 4th pick. A running back. Needs all up and down the roster and they drafted a running back. You can pick up a capable running back at a weekend garage sale. So keeping McFadden, who if healthy is a good back, is better than drafting Elliot with the 4th pick in the draft. The Cowboys have no pass rush. A quarterback could drink an entire beer in the pocket before the Cowboys get to him. And yet they drafted a running back. What value is a running back? Not the 4th pick in the draft value. But that is where the Cowboys drafted him. Now, say it was later in the first round then by all means. But not with the 4th pick in the draft. Am I wrong? Murray was a 3rd round choice out of Oklahoma and when the Cowboy were done with him the Eagles went full ****** and paid him an outrageous sum of money. And McFadden and Murray were every bit as good as Elliot coming out of college.

Is McFadden, with the mileage he has on his body, better than Elliot straight up? Probably not. But where the Cowboys drafted Elliot hell yes he is better. Tons better.

But all of this is moot. If Romo gets hurt then we can waste another high draft choice next year. Maybe Jones will go full ****** and draft a punter with a top five pick.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
It is impossible to have an intelligent conversation with some of you guys. But it is the internet so oh well.
I think the confusion was that you didn't make an argument... you just said bump this so I can say "I told you so" when Romo gets hurt and Dak fails. Um, OK???

It seems to me that you simply have your opinions like everybody else and your logic only makes sense to you. You say McFadden is "better" than Zeke only because we had other needs and paid too much for Zeke. Then you turn around and say we better spend precious cap money on a veteran QB (and believe me they ain't cheap!) even though Dak showed more promise in 2 quarters than any of our back-up QBs showed all of last year.

By your logic it makes no sense to get another QB that would take away cap space that we very well could need for a back-up/swing tackle, Dline or LBer. It's the same argument you have against Zeke, we'd be overpaying for a QB that wouldn't necessarily make our team any better. Not to mention getting another QB takes away reps from Dak & Showers and only hurts their progress.

Long story short, it's all a matter of opinions........ except when talking about Zeke. Zeke will destroy all defenses and that is pure fact!
PooDoo
AG

quote:

1) If the Cowboys go into the season with Prescott as the back up quarterback they will regret it if Romo gets hurt. Of course the batch of proven veterans they had last year made me want to pull my eyes out. But Orton was the prototype back-up. He knows he can't start but is more than capable if called upon. Precott, if thrown into the fire this year, will wilt. That was obvious in my post but it confused people that only read from their phone. Go to a library sometime and expand your mind.

You mentioned Orton, who should they sign? Chase Daniel for $7/yr? Cart McCoy for $3/yr? I guess we could ride Brian Hoyer to the playoffs at $2/yr.

If Romo goes down more than 3 games the season is more than likely over. Why not find out what our young guys have and get a head start on rebuilding with another high pick?

Go to a library? Ok what section can I find the books about making obvious predictions then tooting my own horn about them?

quote:
2) Now to the post about McFadden. The Cowboys drafted a running back with the 4th pick. A running back. Needs all up and down the roster and they drafted a running back. You can pick up a capable running back at a weekend garage sale. So keeping McFadden, who if healthy is a good back, is better than drafting Elliot with the 4th pick in the draft. The Cowboys have no pass rush. A quarterback could drink an entire beer in the pocket before the Cowboys get to him. And yet they drafted a running back. What value is a running back? Not the 4th pick in the draft value. But that is where the Cowboys drafted him. Now, say it was later in the first round then by all means. But not with the 4th pick in the draft. Am I wrong? Murray was a 3rd round choice out of Oklahoma and when the Cowboy were done with him the Eagles went full ****** and paid him an outrageous sum of money. And McFadden and Murray were every bit as good as Elliot coming out of college.

Is McFadden, with the mileage he has on his body, better than Elliot straight up? Probably not. But where the Cowboys drafted Elliot hell yes he is better. Tons better.

But all of this is moot. If Romo gets hurt then we can waste another high draft choice next year. Maybe Jones will go full ****** and draft a punter with a top five pick.
Name a playoff team where McFadden would be a starter unless there was a major injury?
Goldie Wilson
quote:
Precott, if thrown into the fire this year, will wilt. That was obvious in my post but it confused people that only read from their phone.

Ok but what post are you talking about?
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
stopped reading right there.

you obviously belong on a message board with a better class of people so perhaps you should try said message board instead of here.
corleoneAg99
AG
Ok, then...I will try out the library to expand my mind.

Best advice I've read or heard all day.

This guy "gets it".
BassCowboy33
quote:
I did find a post that should negate any Romo/Prescott predictions.

Yes, I do. I think McFadden is better than Elliot. I think you can get three more years out of McFadden.

EDIT: The search sent me down the rabbit hole on the Offseason Thread...
Bass posted about Prescott getting arrested for DUI and Duberstein knocked it out of the park with this
quote:
Knowing Jerry, it will just mean he'll hope to get him in the 5th vs the 3rd.

Definitely worth the risk in the 4th round. I'm finding that I'm having to temper myself a bit, but it was a great debut. If Prescott theoretically pans out, that would be Dallas going two straight franchise QBs where neither was taken in the first 40 picks. I'm not sure if there would be another example in NFL history of such a feat. Probably could use it as proof of the existence of God or the like.
jr15aggie
AG
Hey, Jerry was nominated for the HOF... He can find QBs anywhere!

But yeah, but would be very lucky if Dak works out long term. But on the other hand it's not like we haven't spent many wasted hours on QBs that were never gonna make it. And after seeing Goff the other night it's pretty much proving true that no QB is ever a sure thing.

And let's keep in mind many times it's all about the right guy for the right team. I'll give this team (players and coaches) credit for making Dak look really good in his debut.
PooDoo
AG
They have experience. They got Staubach in the 10th and White in the 3rd.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
i rewatched a lot of the game last night with Showers in there. (yes, i know...watching a preseason game once is bad enough but twice??)

i think he had a lot better game than what people realize. he had serious protection issues and WRs that dropped balls on him. i'd even go so far as to say that he looked very sharp on a lot of plays.

i reiterate once again....i really really wana see him get reps with the 1s. lets see what he's capable of with that lauded OL, and Dez, Witten, TWill, and Cole to throw to with the Butler and Zeke providing run support. we already know what Romo can do, and we have years to evaluate Dak still. give Showers reps with the 1s and at the very least you can make a better decision on whether to keep 2 vs 3 QBs and what do with Moore.

i really get the feeling Showers would look solid at the very least if given that opportunity and if he does , then you gota go 3 QBs and let Moore go.
ce1994
AG
Dak Prescott could very well work out. He had Mississippi State No. 1 in the country. Without him they will suck balls. But he is not ready now. And if the Cowboys are 7-1 when Romo gets his spleen knocked out of his back then the Cowboys finish 8-8 and out of the playoffs.

And if I am wrong (which I hope to hell I am) post this sucker in bold and ride me like a bull.
Darth Football
quote:
Dak Prescott could very well work out. He had Mississippi State No. 1 in the country. Without him they will suck balls. But he is not ready now. And if the Cowboys are 7-1 when Romo gets his spleen knocked out of his back then the Cowboys finish 8-8 and out of the playoffs.

And if I am wrong (which I hope to hell I am) post this sucker in bold and ride me like a bull.
This is not some provocative prediction. Most teams are in serious trouble if their starter goes down.

Who do you want them to get?
ce1994
AG
Well, as pointed out by another poster they Cowboys being salary cap limited can't really do much.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.