*** COWBOYS 2016 Season ***

280,402 Views | 3441 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ag Natural
corleoneAg99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Maybe....I'd be careful about declarative statements until after you play a decent team.

The next few weeks will be very telling, IMO....and especially when it comes to the defense and the running game.
PooDoo
AG
Welp...

http://www.tmz.com/2016/10/03/snoop-parties-with-dak-prescott-and-ezekiel-after-cowboys-victory-video/
jr15aggie
AG
Is this the part where we post "Sumlin has lost control". I'm not sure about the rules here!
corleoneAg99
AG
Get it in now...Atkins, Dunlap, Burfict, Iloka, etc, will be the best defensive unit they've faced so far.

By a lot.
Macarthur
nm
PatAg
AG
jr15aggie said:

If Jaylon Smith heals 100%, then this years draft will have netted Zeke, Jaylon, Maliek Collins, Dak, & Anthony Brown.

If we keep that up for a couple years we'll be so loaded that in 2019 we can draft all special teams guys again!!!!
He has to heal, then prove he can play.
BassCowboy33
PooDoo said:

Welp...

http://www.tmz.com/2016/10/03/snoop-parties-with-dak-prescott-and-ezekiel-after-cowboys-victory-video/

As long as he doesn't miss practice or get arrested, I don't care what he does after games.
Ag Natural
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

PooDoo said:

Welp...

As long as he doesn't miss practice or get arrested, I don't care what he does after games.

He needs to stay off the weed as well.
BassCowboy33
Ag Natural said:

BassCowboy33 said:

PooDoo said:

Welp...

He needs to stay off the weed as well.

When I say "getting arrested", I mean it as a catch-all for doing anything illegal.
PooDoo
AG
They just better be ready for that "random" pee test. Dak's probably already in the league substance abuse program after his DWI.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Generally, it's refreshing to see guys win more than 3 games before cashing in on the benefit of being a Cowboy celebrity. Feels a bit like watching Romo 10 years ago. He learned some tough lessons, and those lessons were learned during what was maybe his best chance to ever win anything meaningful. The window the franchise presented closed before he realized it.
Ag Natural
AG
Yep, and i've heard many old Cowboys say the 90s teams never could have happened with today's rules. The entire team would have been serving suspensions.
jr15aggie
AG
Had to put my MS Paint skills to good use as week 4 is officially over!

corleoneAg99
jr15aggie
AG
What are y'alls thoughts on Romo's return? Probably a given that Dak starts against Cincy & GB which gets us to the bye week. The next two games after the bye are Philly followed by Cleveland.

I'm personally not confident Romo returning vs. Philly. The guy is going to have obvious rust to shake off and Cleveland sure seems like a safer bet for Romo (not to mention Philly has taken Romo out more than once in his career). Of course, we are having a completely different conversation if this team goes into the bye at 5-1, lol.
Macarthur
jr15aggie said:

What are y'alls thoughts on Romo's return? Probably a given that Dak starts against Cincy & GB which gets us to the bye week. The next two games after the bye are Philly followed by Cleveland.

I'm personally not confident Romo returning vs. Philly. The guy is going to have obvious rust to shake off and Cleveland sure seems like a safer bet for Romo (not to mention Philly has taken Romo out more than once in his career). Of course, we are having a completely different conversation if this team goes into the bye at 5-1, lol.

I think the most logical return is after the bye. Philly is a divisional game so they will spin it that they need Romo for that one.

Will be interesting to see if Romo has some struggles, how quick of a hook do they have.
jr15aggie
AG
Mobility is honestly my biggest concern with Romo. I think it's going to be hard to watch, as a fan, when Romo starts throwing balls away early or simply falling / taking the easy sack when the pocket collapses. Dak stands tall and confident in there and Romo is going to protect himself. It's gonna get interesting!

In the end I think it would be really great for Dak to have good games up until the bye week, then be able to catch his breath and just watch and learn once Romo takes the field. I think some time to reflect could be really great for Dak because one way or another I see him back on the field again before the season is done.
PooDoo
AG
Watching these young QBs will be interesting. The more DC's are able to see them the more flaws they'll be able to find. Trick them with coverages and blitzes.

Will be interesting to see who steps up and who falls back.
Macarthur
PooDoo said:

Watching these young QBs will be interesting. The more DC's are able to see them the more flaws they'll be able to find. Trick them with coverages and blitzes.

Yes. Dak has two major tests coming up.
Agnzona
An interesting question on the radio today. When was the last game Romo was truly great? I'll hang up and listen.......
jr15aggie
AG
Macarthur said:

PooDoo said:

Yes. Dak has two major tests coming up.
Indeed he does.

Heard some discussion today about how Dak can run, but he has yet to figure out how to master the art. Guys like McNabb were mobile, but they weren't Johnny Football... their trick was they knew how to hold safeties and LB'ers in coverage with their eyes, creating space, and then they would take off.

Dak has done that a little... looking down field and pumping the ball to give him that extra running room he needs. Point is, there are aspects of his game he has yet to utilize and these next couple games should be fun to watch!
birdman
Until Prescott commits a turnover, this discussion is pointless. No interceptions. No fumbles.

I can't remember a single time where he's made a dumb decision throwing the ball. It's probably happened a few times, but I don't recall them.
Ag Natural
AG
Agnzona said:

An interesting question on the radio today. When was the last game Romo was truly great? I'll hang up and listen.......

Game one last year against the Giants. Then he was playing well in game two before the broken collarbone.
BassCowboy33
birdman said:

Until Prescott commits a turnover, this discussion is pointless. No interceptions. No fumbles.

I can't remember a single time where he's made a dumb decision throwing the ball. It's probably happened a few times, but I don't recall them.

The one that he threw on Sunday that hit the SF safety right between the numbers was pretty bad.
BassCowboy33
jr15aggie said:

Had to put my MS Paint skills to good use as week 4 is officially over!

I'm worried about this. Zeke is on pace for nearly 400 carries; an unheard of amount. At that pace, we won't have to worry about a second contract, because he will be dead in three years.

I was hoping to see more Alfred Morris early in the game then we have.
PooDoo
AG
He's young, let him run... They are making up for him missing preseason. I think we'll see a bigger role for Morris as the season wears on.

The crazy thing with Elliott is... this is just the tip of the iceberg.

What baffles me is Dunbar taking away snaps from EE on 3rd down & Morris at the goal line.
jr15aggie
AG
PooDoo said:

He's young, let him run... They are making up for him missing preseason. I think we'll see a bigger role for Morris as the season wears on.
I agree. And right now he's averaging 23.5 carries per game. That's a lot in today's NFL, but guys have been doing that for years. Back in the day 25-30 for Emmitt was common on Sundays.

The deal with Zeke is that it's hard to take him off the field. He's your best runner, best pass catcher, best home run threat, and best blocker. IMO his blocking, especially for a rookie, has been better than advertised. But Morris has been solid as well and I agree he'll get his touches along with Dunbar.

Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Ag Natural said:

Agnzona said:

Game one last year against the Giants. Then he was playing well in game two before the broken collarbone.
agree with this.

new guy in , playing well, and all of the sudden everyone is like "when was Romo great?".

are you freakin kidding me? he was awesome in that Giants game. unbelievable how short a memory people have soon as there's a new story to tell.
jr15aggie
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Ag Natural said:

Agnzona said:

agree with this.

new guy in , playing well, and all of the sudden everyone is like "when was Romo great?".

are you freakin kidding me? he was awesome in that Giants game. unbelievable how short a memory people have soon as there's a new story to tell.
It's all true. Romo makes a lot more downfield plays than Dak has shown at this point. The two things to consider about Romo right now: 1. How rusty will he be and how long to shake it off. 2. How mobile is he (how much time can he buy himself in the pocket).

Outside of those questions Romo is still a great QB until he proves otherwise. Father time eventually gets everybody, but Romo looked solid in limited action last year and he was amazing in 2014.

We've all said for years we want our QB of the future now to learn under Romo. That's exactly what we got... so let's be thankful that Romo's coming back in a couple weeks and Dak can sit back and learn. And when Romo screws up, Dak can learn from that too!
RedlineAg08
Ol Caddy Williams is the last RB to get ridden like a donkey and he didn't last long at all. Dude was unreal when he was on the field though. Zeke hasn't come close to those levels, yet. He'll be fine.

Revision: I looked back at his 2005 attempts thru 3 games and they're pretty close lol. I remember that 37-40 carry game and all the talk was "Is this too much?" And of course it was because he got hurt the next game. Thought he had multiple of those 35-40 carry games though. Revisionist history I guess.

If we offer him a 2nd contract we didn't work him hard enough.
jr15aggie
AG
Listening to Talking Cowboys from yesterday... somebody asked a really great question about Romo:

"How will Romo respond / perform now that he has competition breathing down his neck?"

I guess we'll see when Romo takes the field, but I thought it was a fantastic question because ever since he won the starting job he was amazing and the job was his. We've never had anybody that was even close to challenging him until now. Interesting! (Blue Star is for the question, not my post)

Macarthur
birdman said:

As someone mentioned, if you go back, he's made some bad throws. He realistically could have 2 or 3 INTs, at this point. Not being critical, that's just the truth.

Cowherd talked to Jimmy Johnson this week and Jimmy said you clearly have to put Romo in when he's ready. One point he made was that the game plan has been pretty altered - They have only thrown 8 passes of 20+ yards and he's 1 for 8 on those. That actually was a criticism of Dak coming out was his accuracy, esp downfield.

I don't say all this to be critical of Dak, but realistically, he's done great against some bad teams. He's played Gabbert, Hoyer and Cousins had a terrible game.

I think it's pretty reasonable to think the Cowboys would be 4-0 w/ Romo.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Quote:

I think it's pretty reasonable to think the Cowboys would be 4-0 w/ Romo.

they win the Giants game.

but hey....NOBODY REMEMBERS ROMO HAVING A GREAT GAME apparently!! so maybe not. geez. i'm still worked up over that idiocy.
Macarthur
Isn't it amazing how he's judged? I frequent another sports site and it is amazing to me how some of them just genuinely think Romo sucks. Period. It's clear that some people have something against Tony that has very little to do with on the field.

And it's sad because he's been a very good guy team-wise. He's been a very good citizen. Yet, he's vilified like few other NFL players.
Ag Natural
AG
Hopefully Romo is watching how Dak is using some tempo. I really haven't missed Romo running the play clock down to 1 second every play.

In the end, this will come down to those two guys and how they handle it. I think both Dak and Romo are great guys and this will all work out just fine. Dak has been saying this is Romo's team the whole time.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.