*** COWBOYS 2016 Season ***

280,281 Views | 3441 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ag Natural
Ag Natural
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jr15aggie said:

Gregory is apparently very much on the table still for our playoff run. What I heard this morning was that even if something did happen and the NFL tries to lay down a 1 year suspension for him, he will appeal and the appeal will run into the offseason.

So, for now anyways, they are saying he will be available week 15 & 16 + playoffs.

So here's a guy with natural God given pass rush ability & fresh legs. Plays maybe 10-15 snaps a game in passing downs and he has 1 job... get the QB. I don't expect huge things, but it could give us a little boost!

That would be pretty fortunate and unexpected.
ramblin_ag02
AG
I don't want any part of Gregory this year. Same principle as the Dak/Romo switch. You just don't mess with anything that could affect team chemistry when everything is going so well. Trying to shoehorn in a pot addict on a technicality while we're riding high could really piss off a lot of hardworking players on this team and create a complete and unnecessary distraction. Seems like an entirely Jerry driven thing, as I doubt Garrett has been pushing to get him on the field.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jr15aggie
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

I don't want any part of Gregory this year. Same principle as the Dak/Romo switch. You just don't mess with anything that could affect team chemistry when everything is going so well. Trying to shoehorn in a pot addict on a technicality while we're riding high could really piss off a lot of hardworking players on this team and create a complete and unnecessary distraction. Seems like an entirely Jerry driven thing, as I doubt Garrett has been pushing to get him on the field.
I get what you are saying but I think you are wrong and I'll explain why.

Gregory has been a part of this team the entire time... still has a locker, has been at the star working out, etc. This would not be bringing in some random new guy with issues to mess up the locker room.

He also would not be taking the spot of somebody that has been a rock all year long. For example, Mayowa is a guy that has played OK at times, but he's also been inactive at times this year. Our D-line rotation has been a work in progress all year long... adding a new guy to the equation to help wouldn't be something new.

I don't know any of this first hand, but I listen to the guys that do and they make it sound like he would be welcomed as soon as he's available (compared to, say, Rolando McClain who they have 100% moved on from). The bigger question being can Gregory come in having missed all year and actually play good enough to take somebodies spot?
Ag Natural
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

This narrative that Jerry tells Garrett who to play is getting tired. Garrett wants to win. He played Hardy last year even though it was obvious the whole team hated him.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Not sure that Hardy helps your point. It was obvious that Garrett didn't like Hardy. He showed up late to meetings, spent too much time partying, and was openly disrespectful of the coaching staff. And yet Garrett played him. So either Coach Accountability is a giant hypocrite, or it wasn't his call. Based on how the players talk about and respond to Garrett, I don't think they would play that hard for a giant hypocrite.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Jerry has stuck Bill Parcells with players he didn't want. You can sure as **** bet he's done the same with Garrett.
Ag Natural
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

Not sure that Hardy helps your point. It was obvious that Garrett didn't like Hardy. He showed up late to meetings, spent too much time partying, and was openly disrespectful of the coaching staff. And yet Garrett played him. So either Coach Accountability is a giant hypocrite, or it wasn't his call. Based on how the players talk about and respond to Garrett, I don't think they would play that hard for a giant hypocrite.
My point is its NOT Jerry's call. Its Garrett and I wouldn't be surprised if he played Gregory if he thought he could help on the field. Last year Hardy was easily the most productive pass rusher and that's why he played even though it was obvious to the rest of us that it contributed to the overall funk the team was going through.

ramblin_ag02
AG
Garrett preaches hard work, responsibility, and the importance of the team non-stop. If you think he would play Hardy despite all that, then you are basically saying that Jason Garrett is a giant hypocrite. You might be right, but I don't think so. Garrett has a ton of player support, and I don't think he gets that from them if they know he is a hypocrite.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
i'm not sure Gregory playing would mess with chemistry much. by all accounts he's a hard worker who is well liked by teammates. he just has a hard time keeping his head outa his ass at times.
Ag Natural
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

Garrett preaches hard work, responsibility, and the importance of the team non-stop. If you think he would play Hardy despite all that, then you are basically saying that Jason Garrett is a giant hypocrite. You might be right, but I don't think so. Garrett has a ton of player support, and I don't think he gets that from them if they know he is a hypocrite.
I think Garrett is smart enough to figure out how to justify his decisions. If Hardy on the field was helping the team then it IS about the team. As long as Hardy was working in the practice then it's not hard to sell. It's not like all the players need to love each other. When Garrett was playing for the Cowboys in the 90s there was a ton of dysfunction yet they managed to keep winning.
PooDoo
AG
If Gregory comes back like D-Law with about 20-30 more pounds of beef & keeps that speed it might be hard not to play him.
jr15aggie
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

i'm not sure Gregory playing would mess with chemistry much. by all accounts he's a hard worker who is well liked by teammates. he just has a hard time keeping his head outa his ass at times.

Short and sweet... And right. I like it!
jr15aggie
AG
Small sample size (1 half on Thursday night football) and granted I haven't watched a lot of KC football... But damn if the Chiefs don't look an awful lot like our Cowboys... But with a really good defense.

They are gonna be a tough out for anybody in the AFC playoffs!
jr15aggie
AG
Frack... And don't ever.... Ever ever ever... Punt it to Tyreek Hill!

Go ahead and put me down for Dallas and KC as the top 2 teams you don't want to play in the Playoffs. Seattle and NE are playing catch up at this point.
Mozart Paintings
AG
KC very good. But let's not forget last week it took a fake punt And then a pick 2 to beat Atlanta. All teams have their weaknesses. Including KC and the cowboys.
MooreTrucker
AG
And the fact that the Raiders played like crap tonight.
gougler08
AG
MooreTrucker said:

And the fact that the Raiders played like crap tonight.
Carr having to throw like a junior high QB due to his pinky and it being 20 degrees certainly didn't help their cause. The Derrick Johnson injury is going to be big for KC as well (if he tore his Achilles)
BassCowboy33
Great Bob and Dan stats segment on Dak. Bob was talking about the likelihood of finding a long-term viable starter outside the Top 40 picks. He defines viable starter in the modern era as:

(1) QB who has fifty career wins
(2) career start in 2001 / after Tom Brady

Basically, the only guy was Russell Wilson. No other QB picked outside the Top 40 has 50 wins in that time. Really hit home about how lucky Dallas may have gotten.
jteagle
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

Great Bob and Dan stats segment on Dak. Bob was talking about the likelihood of finding a long-term viable starter outside the Top 40 picks. He defines viable starter in the modern era as:

Basically, the only guy was Russell Wilson. No other QB picked outside the Top 40 has 50 wins in that time. Really hit home about how lucky Dallas may have gotten.
Did the QB have to be drafted to be considered? Romo definitely fits except he wasn't drafted at all. He was an undrafted free agent, career started in 2004 and has 78 career wins.
BassCowboy33
jteagle said:

BassCowboy33 said:

Did the QB have to be drafted to be considered? Romo definitely fits except he wasn't drafted at all. He was an undrafted free agent, career started in 2004 and has 78 career wins.

Oh, yeah, my bad. Player did have to be drafted.
Rudyjax
AG
It goes to show Jerry got really lucky again.

Unless you're a Romo hater. Then it's just once.
Ag Natural
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

I understand this stat but its incredibly self fulfilling. I'd like to see the number of non-top 40 drafted QBs who got a legitimate shot to start in the NFL.

Brady got his shot because of injury.
Dak got his shot because of multiple injuries.
Wilson got lucky that he got drafted right when the team was in QB transition and he was given a legit chance to win the job.
Simien is in a similar situation and we'll see if he is able to hold off Lynch. The team clearly wants Lynch to beat him out because he was drafted so high.

Aikman and P. Manning were both horrible as rookies. If they were 4th round picks they never would have been given the chance to stick it out. Same goes for Marriotta, Winston, Derek Carr, etc, etc.
BassCowboy33
Ag Natural said:

BassCowboy33 said:

I understand this stat but its incredibly self fulfilling. I'd like to see the number of non-top 40 drafted QBs who got a legitimate shot to start in the NFL.

Brady got his shot because of injury.
Dak got his shot because of multiple injuries.
Wilson got lucky that he got drafted right when the team was in QB transition and he was given a legit chance to win the job.
Simien is in a similar situation and we'll see if he is able to hold off Lynch. The team clearly wants Lynch to beat him out because he was drafted so high.

Aikman and P. Manning were both horrible as rookies. If they were 4th round picks they never would have been given the chance to stick it out. Same goes for Marriotta, Winston, Derek Carr, etc, etc.

To be fair, the Top 40 trope is a pretty common argument. Mostly because it's an extremely stark contrast. It's not like Bob just drew that one up.
Macarthur
But aikman was on an awful team. He also had a track record to see in college. You could watch the ball come out of aikmans hand and tell he was diff than other QBs. I'm not sure I agree aikman wouldn't have gotten another chance if he was a fourth rounder.

However, it's somewhat of a non starter because he was the #1 pick for a reason. He had film to back up the eyeball test.
Macarthur
There's a funny story about his first year when JJ asked the coaching staff to vote on who should start - aikman or Walsh. All of jimmys staff was from Miami so the staff voted for Walsh. When Jimmy got to the QB coach (don't remember the name), he said "have you all lost your mind?"
PooDoo
AG
They gave up the #1 overall for Walsh, right?

That goodness the Saints were desperate enough to trade for him.
BassCowboy33
Macarthur said:

There's a funny story about his first year when JJ asked the coaching staff to vote on who should start - aikman or Walsh. All of jimmys staff was from Miami so the staff voted for Walsh. When Jimmy got to the QB coach (don't remember the name), he said "have you all lost your mind?"
My favorite Aikman story is one that Laufenberg told earlier this season.

When Aikman got injured in 1990, Babe took over his spot. In Dallas' season finale against Atlanta, Babe was trying to hit a receiver over the middle (can't remember who). He saw that Deion was covering the receiver, but the receiver was behind him, so Babe lofted the ball with some touch to get it over the top of Sanders. Anyway, Deion jumps up, picks off the pass, and runs it back.

Babe walks over to the sideline and tells Troy, "Man, if I could've gotten that ball six inches higher, it would've been a touchdown."

Troy looked at him, shook his head, and with a deadpan voice said, "Babe, if you had done that, he would've just jumped six inches higher".
tannerr0703
AG
This is hilarious

https://www.facebook.com/DallasCowboys/videos/1301586973232259/
Sea Gull
AG
tannerr0703 said:

This is hilarious

https://www.facebook.com/DallasCowboys/videos/1301586973232259/

Haha that's pretty good.
DannyDuberstein
AG
PooDoo said:

They gave up the #1 overall for Walsh, right?

That goodness the Saints were desperate enough to trade for him.

It did end up being the #1 overall, although they didn't know it at the time because the supplemental draft was just a month or so after the regular draft. All they knew was they'd have to give up their 1st rounder the next year, and at that point, I don't think they had an appreciation for just how bad they were going to be in 1989.

But yeah, the Saints really bailed them out. They turned one pick into Erik Williams and folded the two other picks into the trade to draft Russell Maryland #1 overall.

I was always curious just how high they thought that pick for Walsh would be at the time they made that choice.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

Macarthur said:

My favorite Aikman story is one that Laufenberg told earlier this season.

When Aikman got injured in 1990, Babe took over his spot. In Dallas' season finale against Atlanta, Babe was trying to hit a receiver over the middle (can't remember who). He saw that Deion was covering the receiver, but the receiver was behind him, so Babe lofted the ball with some touch to get it over the top of Sanders. Anyway, Deion jumps up, picks off the pass, and runs it back.

Babe walks over to the sideline and tells Troy, "Man, if I could've gotten that ball six inches higher, it would've been a touchdown."

Troy looked at him, shook his head, and with a deadpan voice said, "Babe, if you had done that, he would've just jumped six inches higher".

I hated Babe for so long after that season. He was so so bad and single handedly cost Dallas a playoff spot when Aikman went down. Cant believe Jimmy and staff thought he was capable at all.
Ag Natural
AG
Macarthur said:

But aikman was on an awful team. He also had a track record to see in college. You could watch the ball come out of aikmans hand and tell he was diff than other QBs. I'm not sure I agree aikman wouldn't have gotten another chance if he was a fourth rounder.

However, it's somewhat of a non starter because he was the #1 pick for a reason. He had film to back up the eyeball test.
Sure. Most thought Aikman was a can't miss prospect. However, a lot of guys have the measurables and are great college players but suck in the pros. I guess the top 40 argument is based on the fact that any college QB who was decent and has NFL measurables is probably going to be drafted high. That's the only way to explain guys like Bortles and Bradford and RGIII and Osweiler continuing to get shots. Throw Tanny in that mix of guys who I believe are getting the benefit of the doubt because of where they were drafted. Freaking Jared Goff couldn't even get on the field for a terrible offense and he was taken #1. But he won't get cut, he'll get chances whether he deserves them or not.
Pignorant
AG
Lucky Whitehead won't play tomorrow because he was a no show for the team plane.

Cowboys security personnel were out looking for him this morning. They eventually found him.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Cut his ass. He's useless. Every time he gets the ball, he's high risk with very rare reward. Make him this year's Curvin Richards.
TyHolden
AG
Line is -4 boys. That seems a tad high for night game in NYC. I'd take points and g-men.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.