*** COWBOYS 2016 Season ***

280,337 Views | 3441 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ag Natural
Reginald Cousins
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
quote:
quote:
I just disagree... Rookies don't show up and look this good in preseason like Dak has. Like it was said, Russel Wilson is the one who comes to mind who showed up immediately as a rookie.

But hey, we are all gonna find out soon enough.

Rookies typically aren't thrown into an offense like this either...they start on bad teams most of the time.

How little credit is being given to that versus Dak is...odd to me.

He's been good. But watching the games and then calling him special? It's just not on film. Not yet anyway.
I will say his poise at this point is special... I've been floored at how he stands in there til the last second with a DGAF attitude. His ability to look off DB's at this point in his career is special. Rare.
PatAg
AG
The goal should be to have a plan of attack that allows us to win with average qb play. Our rushing attack should take a ton of the pressure off of Dak so he doesnt feel like he has to do it all himself.
corleoneAg99
AG
Hey how about this...he's not special and he's not a spare. What if he's Alex Smith?

Could this offense still produce? Of course.

They won't make any noise in the playoffs because the defense is severely deficient, but they could still win the division with Dak being just ok.

He doesn't have to either be terrible or special. There's a big middle.
TyHolden
AG
What is QC up to these days? Remember that game against the Giants where he brought us back late in the game with the throw of his career? Can we get the guy that made that throw back?
Ag Natural
AG
So who is crazier? The optimist who thinks Dak will be pretty good and the defense has upside with many new faces? Or the "realist" who thinks Dak will suck in real games and the defense will be even worse than last year which was statistically one of the worst Cowboy defenses ever?

There's not really any evidence to support any side of this. We will just have to wait and see.
corleoneAg99
AG
Link to who said Dak will suck?
jschroeder
http://www.ccfury.com/team/roster.html
Goldie Wilson
quote:
If and when Romo gets hurt and Precott is sent out there I want this thing bumped. It will be mass suicide for Cowboys fans and I just wanted to say "I told you so".
Ok so let's go ahead and bump this comment. So far no mass suicide, but still 2 weeks out from week 1.
Goldie Wilson
quote:
What is QC up to these days? Remember that game against the Giants where he brought us back late in the game with the throw of his career? Can we get the guy that made that throw back?
QUINCY!!!
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
quote:
If and when Romo gets hurt and Precott is sent out there I want this thing bumped. It will be mass suicide for Cowboys fans and I just wanted to say "I told you so".
Ok so let's go ahead and bump this comment. So far no mass suicide, but still 2 weeks out from week 1.

Lol! Awesome.
PooDoo
AG
I didn't think Dak would be able to make the college to pro transition. Wasn't thrilled with the pick. Been pleasantly surprised.

I also liked Jack at LB better than Smith... Back when they were healthy. Still hope the kid recovers though.

I don't get the people that claim to be Cowboy fans but celebrate their failures.
PatAg
AG
I just feel like if you take last season, and you put Dak in the place of the pu-pu platter of backup qb's we ran out there, we make the playoffs.
corleoneAg99
AG
Strawmen out tonight!

Celebrating failure. Daks gonna suck!

Amazing.
Reginald Cousins
S
quote:
I don't get the people that claim to be Cowboy fans but celebrate their failures.
They're called moles. Houston trolls.

And with all due respect, when 100% healthy, no way I take Jack over Smith. Many analysts agree as well. Unfortunately he's nowhere near there from what we've been seeing.
Reginald Cousins
S
quote:
Strawmen out tonight!

Amazing.
Must you stay the official wet blanket of the last couple pages?
corleoneAg99
AG
quote:
quote:
Strawmen out tonight!

Amazing.
Must you stay the official wet blanket of the last couple pages?

Guess so, Jerry Jr.
Reginald Cousins
S
I don't always agree with Jerry. But I don't go around *****ing and whining about it either. Not my decision. To support the team is, however.
ce1994
AG
It is hard not to like Jerry Jones. And then it is hard to like him. The guy just plays with my emotions. He is like the ex girlfriend that loses and gains 25 pounds. You see her one time and think "why didn't this work" and then you see her a few weeks later and you think "what happened".
corleoneAg99
AG
quote:
I don't always agree with Jerry. But I don't go around *****ing and whining about it either. Not my decision. To support the team is, however.

Cool. You, and thousands among thousands, are why he's rich and has the stayedjum/The Star despite the onfield product being bad to mediocre for the past two decades.

Have at it, my man!
jr15aggie
AG
Regarding Dak, I heard somebody put it very well... The only thing making people hesitate about Dak is the R-word. He's out performed every QB in the league this preseason (and he's spent most of his time playing against the other team's 1's).

They weren't saying he was going to be the next great one either, but they were saying we have every reason to feel good and have optimism about him taking over for a few games.
Sea Gull
AG
So I think the Cowboys are (obviously) a much better team with Romo than with Dak at this point. However, there might be a silver lining on it in terms of Linehan and the play calling. With Dak, SL is going to have to rely on the run game more than normal, which, to his credit, he did last year, but didn't have the RB personnel to do it. With Zeke, DMF, and Alfred Morris, this team is in a much better situation to fully rely on running the ball and not making Dak win games. Last year, I felt the Cowboys tried to make Weeden and Cassel win games when teams zeroed in on DMF, and they flat out weren't good enough to. This year, I really feel the Cowboys have the running back committee to own the game for the entire game. That will take the pressure off of Dak. I just hope they don't try to "protect" him too much.
jr15aggie
AG
All good points.

Your comment about "better with Romo" is true, but I'm starting to question how good Romo is going to be at this point? He looked awfully slow in the play he got hurt in Seattle and so much of his game was "Romo magic" making plays out of nothing. I think today's Romo will simply throw it away or go down to avoid the big hit. I think the jokes we made early in pre-season about "we got a QB controversy" are not far fetched at all any more. If Dak comes in and plays well and Romo isn't Romo of old (no pun intended) you are going to have fans starting the Dak chant (which will be unfortunate).

The scary thing is apparently Romo needs to play or be on the payroll through 2017 or our salary cap will be hosed. Pretty much the only thing I can fault Jerry for is giving Romo such a long term deal at his age. But then again, Romo was our ONLY option at the time and we weren't going to let him walk.

PS: How lucky are we that Kellen Moore broke his ankle!
PooDoo
AG
quote:
quote:
They're called moles. Houston trolls.

And with all due respect, when 100% healthy, no way I take Jack over Smith. Many analysts agree as well. Unfortunately he's nowhere near there from what we've been seeing.

I understand why. I'm more of a fan of physical attacking LB's plus the guy has coverage skills that are rare with those type of LB's. But I can totally see Smith being more productive in the right scheme.
jr15aggie
AG
Cleveland cut's pass rusher Paul Kruger:
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17414203/cleveland-browns-cut-rushing-linebacker-paul-kruger

Had 11 sacks in 14 and then Cleveland went all Cleveland on him and moved him to the strong side (he's an OLB in the 3-4) and only had 2.5 sacks last year.

Like most 3-4 OLB he's the ideal size for a 4-3 DE... he should be worth a look for Dallas IMO! This is probably about as good as it gets for what Dallas is looking for. Good player who's older and was making too much money so he got cut.

PS: Cleveland also cut Austin Davis... another guy that's gonna be about as good as it gets for finding a back-up QB to Dak.

I say get them both via the Jerry special... which of course is: check out our brand new training facility, Dallas ain't Cleveland, did I mention there is no State Income tax in TX, go ahead and sign here for less sorta deals!
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
on Jaylon Smith i read this on a board a while back (not exactly but from what i remember):

with an injury like his about 80% of people have their nerve firing within 6-9 months. we are at month 7 i believe now so hopefully we'll get some good news soon. the bad news is that if it doesn't start firing within that time period while there are cases of it firing after that and it being fine, there are some cases where another surgery is required which could put his entire career in jeopardy.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
Cleveland cut's pass rusher Paul Kruger:
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17414203/cleveland-browns-cut-rushing-linebacker-paul-kruger

Had 11 sacks in 14 and then Cleveland went all Cleveland on him and moved him to the strong side (he's an OLB in the 3-4) and only had 2.5 sacks last year.

Like most 3-4 OLB he's the ideal size for a 4-3 DE... he should be worth a look for Dallas IMO! This is probably about as good as it gets for what Dallas is looking for. Good player who's older and was making too much money so he got cut.

makes too much sense.

Stephen and Jerry Jones think Marinelli can walk on water and can get some free agent rookie to produce the same results.
corleoneAg99
AG
Kruger is a great depth guy but I wonder if he'll prefer a 34 team. Heck Baltimore could use him back.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Kruger is a great depth guy but I wonder if he'll prefer a 34 team. Heck Baltimore could use him back.
He definitely might favor a 3-4 scheme... who knows. I just hope the Cowboys at least have already put out the "interested" bug to his agent so they are at least thinking of Dallas. They guy obviously has a big chip on his shoulder after getting cut... I'm thinking he plays angry this year!

You add in somebody like Kruger, assuming he will be able to bring it as part of a rotation, and it could drastically change the outlook of our D-line and defense as a whole.
Goldie Wilson
quote:
I say get them both via the Jerry special... which of course is: check out our brand new training facility, Dallas ain't Cleveland, did I mention there is no State Income tax in TX, go ahead and sign here for less sorta deals!
Is there a history of FAs signing here for below market value? Are there some obvious names that I'm just blanking on?
Ag Natural
AG
So Cleveland cut Kruger and traded Mingo for a late round pick. They must love what they have on the dline.

As for the Cowboys, they'll probably just wait and see. They have a lot of guys who they want to see pan out. Its not for a lack of moves if nothing good happens.

They signed Mayowa and Thornton as veteran UFA and FA respectively.

They re-signed Jack Crawford who they love and Tyrone Crawford is on a long term deal.

They want to see want Irvin can do in year two after he looked decent last year.

Tapper was drafted and has yet to see the field. Collins has one preseason game under his belt.

And Lawrence and Gregory have to be in the long term plans to some extent. Lawrence definitely more than Gregory.

Also, they signed this kid Jenkins who is is a Division III sleeper who showed some flashes.

So there's a ton of unproven but also undeveloped talent in house. I'm sure they'd love to get a proven commodity but I doubt they would go get and average vet right now when they still want to see how these kids play out. If just two or three turn out to be good then it's not as bad as it seems.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
there's rumors that Tapper has a serious degenerative back condition. Jenkins is already done for the season with an injury.

Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
So there's a ton of unproven but also undeveloped talent in house. I'm sure they'd love to get a proven commodity but I doubt they would go get and average vet right now when they still want to see how these kids play out. If just two or three turn out to be good then it's not as bad as it seems.

they have been using this approach for 3 years now. has it worked? no it has not. it can be argued that a lack of pass rush cost them a Super Bowl appearance in 2014. their strategy of trying to find guys who may or may not work out or guys to develop is a failed strategy. and so far its just preseason, but its looking like it will fail once again in 2016. not sure why they deserve any benefit of the doubt. teams like the Patriots recognize what they need to do, recognize short comings and address them appropriately. the Cowboys sit around hoping Marinelli can work his magic on a bunch of JAGs or worse...scrubs.
Sea Gull
AG
To be fair, the Cowboys were a blown incomplete and a DeMarco fumble away from going to the NFC Championship. The lack of pass rush was probably the 3rd reason...
DannyDuberstein
AG
I'd like to believe that, but even if that Dez catch counted or Demarco doesn't fumble, I still think the defense would have given it up like a virgin on prom night in the last 2 minutes.
Sea Gull
AG
That's probably right

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.