*** COWBOYS 2016 Season ***

280,274 Views | 3441 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ag Natural
jtstanley4621
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Yeah I mean they have played 3 games so none of the picks are home runs outside of Wentz, I guess...and even still that's only been 3 games.

The point was, and will continue to be, that Jerry fundamentally doesn't understand how draft value works and his draft history and the roster construction reflect that.

Subsequently, his playoff record post Jimmy is terrible and that's not a coincidence. It's because he's one of the worst GM's in football.

I have no doubt Zeke will be a top 5 back in the league and will have a ton of big moments....but that won't help the defense when they're getting gashed and gutted especially late in games because the depth and talent on that side of the ball is laughable.
I totally agree. The way that Jerry has constructed this team, we need to hold the ball for long periods of time, and end just about every drive with a TD.

All we've seen in terms of "winning defense" was a matchup with Cousins (who would have thrown for about 500 yards had he been accurate with his passes) and Hoyer (one of the worst QBs in the NFL), and they didn't exactly dominate either of those games, but I will give them credit and say that they did have a couple good stops in each game.

I think as the schedule wears on, the issues on defense will come to the front and it'll be clear that that is what is holding this team back. It's very frustrating because I 100 percent believe that we have a playoff-ready offense. But there's only so much Marinelli can do with what's there on defense, and that is absolutely on the front office. There is some talent waiting in the wings, but I don't think that there is enough there to field a complete team. In a way, that's good news because now they can focus the draft on pretty much one side of the ball.
corleoneAg99
AG
I agree there for sure....based on the cap, and that's even without relief there might be if Romo is cut inclusive of how little Dak is making, they have no choice but to draft defense.

Martin will be up for a deal soon...Collins as well because he signed a shorty because he was UDFA. And TFred, Tyron, Dez, and Zeke are already paid.

They need cheap help on defense and hope lottery tickets like Jaylon Smith hit.

Which is why Jerry will either draft a WR or TE in the first round in 17.
Reginald Cousins
S
Maybe you're talking about first rounders only but Dak sure is looking like a grand slam.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Dak has been a grand slam. Only downside for Jerry is that he was so vocal about having failed to trade up for Lynch and that he also failed to land Connor Cook.
PooDoo
AG
quote:
Actually you're a Jerry guy because you rubber stamp everything he does and anyone who questions him is just being contrarian or doom and gloom.

As for Ramsey vs. Zeke, Zeke is great but that doesn't mean Ramsey has been anything less than stellar so far which is what you've argued...that Ramsey isn't or hasn't been that good.

You were wrong, and will continue to be, regarding that point.

As for being a Jerry guy, if the occasional division title and early round of playoffs out is your thing, he's your guy pal!

I've disagreed with plenty of moves the Cowboys have made. Signing Sean Lee, Dez Bryant, & etc to long term contracts. Not being aggressive in free agency.

I called my shot with Elliott & Ramsey well before Jerry did anything. Keep calling me names...

I've been alive for 4 Cowboys' Super Bowl wins... I'm going to keep rooting for my team whether it's ok with you or not.

jr15aggie
AG
quote:

Fortunately Beasley will keep Jerry from making that mistake (I think). T Will most likely won't be back, but we are fine with Dez, Beasley, and any Brice Butler type we can get a good deal on.

I can see us drafting 1 WR and 1 O-line guy in next years draft, but otherwise all defense and definitely our 1st rounder.
corleoneAg99
AG
quote:
quote:
Actually you're a Jerry guy because you rubber stamp everything he does and anyone who questions him is just being contrarian or doom and gloom.

As for Ramsey vs. Zeke, Zeke is great but that doesn't mean Ramsey has been anything less than stellar so far which is what you've argued...that Ramsey isn't or hasn't been that good.

You were wrong, and will continue to be, regarding that point.

As for being a Jerry guy, if the occasional division title and early round of playoffs out is your thing, he's your guy pal!

I've disagreed with plenty of moves the Cowboys have made. Signing Sean Lee, Dez Bryant, & etc to long term contracts. Not being aggressive in free agency.

I called my shot with Elliott & Ramsey well before Jerry did anything. Keep calling me names...

I've been alive for 4 Cowboys' Super Bowl wins... I'm going to keep rooting for my team whether it's ok with you or not.

Rack him!

Calling you a Jerry guy isnt calling you names...its fact based on your posts. Embrace who you are. This is why jr is such a good poster...he embraces his homerism.
corleoneAg99
AG
quote:
quote:

Fortunately Beasley will keep Jerry from making that mistake (I think). T Will most likely won't be back, but we are fine with Dez, Beasley, and any Brice Butler type we can get a good deal on.

I can see us drafting 1 WR and 1 O-line guy in next years draft, but otherwise all defense and definitely our 1st rounder.

IMO has nothing to do with Beasley. Let's watch this latest Dez injury.

TWill is already obsolete because of Butler.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Embrace who you are. This is why jr is such a good poster...he embraces his homerism.

Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
quote:

Rounds 1-7 need to be D. Maybe a speed WR who can be a deep threat mixed in. 3 DL, 2 LBs, 1 S, 1 WR would be ideal. Of course that being said they will likely instead probably pick guys that aren't immediate needs or may or may not play their rookie yr due to injury.
jr15aggie
AG
In a perfect world (and according to my homerism that's where I live, right corleone) Lawrence returns this year and continues to impress. And for next year Jaylon makes a full recovery and Gregory finds balance in the force or whatever.

If that happens and assuming we are drafting somewhere out of the top 15, we could do a very fast 180 on defense by getting a 1st round LB'er that is ready to start day 1. In that scenario our D-line is now very solid with at least some pass rush ability and our LB'ers are now very good and very deep. Our front 7 could be a completely different beast!
corleoneAg99
AG
Exactly. Have ALL the kool-aid, jr.
Macarthur
quote:
In a perfect world (and according to my homerism that's where I live, right corleone) Lawrence returns this year and continues to impress. And for next year Jaylon makes a full recovery and Gregory finds balance in the force or whatever.

If that happens and assuming we are drafting somewhere out of the top 15, we could do a very fast 180 on defense by getting a 1st round LB'er that is ready to start day 1. In that scenario our D-line is now very solid with at least some pass rush ability and our LB'ers are now very good and very deep. Our front 7 could be a completely different beast!

I don't think it's far fetched, at all, that if Lawrence has progressed as some like Sturm have suggested, and Jaylon is as advertised and a couple of good draft picks, this defense could take a significant step forward pretty quickly.
Ag Natural
AG
Jerry did have a pretty funny quote where he said Gregory was a really good second round pick... if he was available to play.

In Jerry's mind, all his picks have been winners.
Macarthur
And a name that I really like that could be added to this defense is Marquis Haynes from Ole Miss. He's smallish, but very fast LBer. Can also rush the passer. I think he would be great with Jaylon and Lee. You could move him around and I think he can even be used in pass coverage like a big safety. He is a playmaker.
Sea Gull
AG
There's a lot of *****ing in here for a team that is 2-1 and has a good chance to be 3-1 with a back up quarterback, a defense that lost 3 starters before the season even started, and a "****ty" secondary. The defense has shown improvement. Dak looks incredible. Zeke is figuring it out. This team isn't as bad as a lot of you people want it to be. Are there problems? Yes, of course. Are they winning? Yes. So stop the ****ing *****ing about Ramsey and let's talk about the current ****ing season.
jtstanley4621
AG
Devil's advocate: We are 2-1 with wins over the Bears (in my opinion tied with the Browns as worst team in the NFL so far) and the Redskins (who are well on their way to proving that their playoff bid last season was a fluke)
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
what do you guys think of Myles Garrett of Texas A&M?

he seems like a pretty stout pass rusher.
corleoneAg99
AG
quote:
There's a lot of *****ing in here for a team that is 2-1 and has a good chance to be 3-1 with a back up quarterback, a defense that lost 3 starters before the season even started, and a "****ty" secondary. The defense has shown improvement. Dak looks incredible. Zeke is figuring it out. This team isn't as bad as a lot of you people want it to be. Are there problems? Yes, of course. Are they winning? Yes. So stop the ****ing *****ing about Ramsey and let's talk about the current ****ing season.

Salty! I like!

Please link to where I *****ed about their record or performance this season. Looking forward to that.

I think they've played well given the situation and the schedule is always the schedule...you can only play who is on it.

That said, I'll continue to address the challenges the FO has as it relates to building the roster based on what I see on the field. Don't like it? Get a dog?
corleoneAg99
AG
quote:

Not enough character and/or drug issues for Jerry to consider.
Sea Gull
AG
quote:
quote:

Salty! I like!

Please link to where I *****ed about their record or performance this season. Looking forward to that.

I think they've played well given the situation and the schedule is always the schedule...you can only play who is on it.

That said, I'll continue to address the challenges the FO has as it relates to building the roster based on what I see on the field. Don't like it? Get a dog?
You're the one that needs a dog with the amount of whining and *****ing you do. You're still *****ing about off season problems. Hell, I'd rather you ***** about their performance this year...at least it would be relevant to this thread.
Macarthur
quote:

Great athlete - questionable motor.
corleoneAg99
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Salty! I like!

You're the one that needs a dog with the amount of whining and *****ing you do. You're still *****ing about off season problems. Hell, I'd rather you ***** about their performance this year...at least it would be relevant to this thread.

Don't worry....once the schedule heats up i'll ***** about the season just as much, my guy.
. . .
Dez has a "slight hairline fracture" in his knee; JG says "day by day, week by week" & is hopeful he can play vs. SanFran.
The Collective
AG
Hmmmm
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
why does it seem like those "precautionary" MRIs go against us? geez.
corleoneAg99
AG
And he went back in after that AND scored.

Gotta love Dez, man. Tough kid.
PooDoo
AG
quote:
Rack him!

Calling you a Jerry guy isnt calling you names...its fact based on your posts. Embrace who you are. This is why jr is such a good poster...he embraces his homerism.
Am I a bigger homer than you are a complainer?

I don't think so.

Show me where I had a 180 on one of my opinions after the Cowboys made a move.

If anything that makes me a Will McClay guy because I believe he's influencing a lot of the personnel decisions lately.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
why does it seem like those "precautionary" MRIs go against us? geez.
LOL, right!

It's part of the game, but it's hard not to be hopeful when the guy came back and played the whole game. But he did land on it in a bad way. I remember when the play happened thinking "please get up Dez".
corleoneAg99
AG
Fwiw, Kirwan tweeting his medical contacts say Dez injury takes 4-6 weeks.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Or 10 minutes seeing as he played on it!!! But I get it... it's a matter of healing time when the risk of it getting worse is gone. We'll see what the coaches and medical staff decide. But you know Dez wants to play!

I'm wondering if they should expand the horse collar rule. The traditional (from the back) horse collar has all but disappeared since the rule change... you hardly ever see anybody get tackled like that anymore. I wonder if they should expand that to the type of tackle on Dez. Basically changing the rule so that if you are simply grabbing the jersey/pads up high, you can't tackle the guy by simply dropping to the ground and taking him down with you. It sounds kinda silly, but it's not that different than tripping... there are already legal & illegal ways to bring down ball carriers.
RedlineAg08
Edit: Better stated, what do you think of Jabril Peppers as a Cowboy, and if not him who would be your 1st round wish? Myles Garrett is off limits.
PooDoo
AG
quote:
quote:
Or 10 minutes seeing as he played on it!!! But I get it... it's a matter of healing time when the risk of it getting worse is gone. We'll see what the coaches and medical staff decide. But you know Dez wants to play!

I'm wondering if they should expand the horse collar rule. The traditional (from the back) horse collar has all but disappeared since the rule change... you hardly ever see anybody get tackled like that anymore. I wonder if they should expand that to the type of tackle on Dez. Basically changing the rule so that if you are simply grabbing the jersey/pads up high, you can't tackle the guy by simply dropping to the ground and taking him down with you. It sounds kinda silly, but it's not that different than tripping... there are already legal & illegal ways to bring down ball carriers.
The same tackle took out Dez and Russell Wilson Sunday. Holding the runner above the waist and dropping your body on their legs is pretty much a chop block. Being engaged to the upper body of the ball carrier and engaging his lower body at the same time.

Probably time to change up the rule.

Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
agree on needing a rule change. its as bad or worse than a horse collar.

cue football "purists" chiming in with "you guys are wussifying the game".
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
agree on needing a rule change. its as bad or worse than a horse collar.

cue football "purists" chiming in with "you guys are wussifying the game".
I don't see it that way... when those tackles happen it's because the defender is beaten or out of position and it's a desperation move to get the ball carrier down. I can live with that being illegal much more than a defender who's in good position making a football hit on a WR who is trying to catch a ball.

What they need to do is start flagging the offense for these penalties too: "Personal foul on the Quarterback, throwing a pass across the middle that got his WR knocked the F*&# out, 15 yard penalty, replay 1st down!"

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.