*** COWBOYS 2016 Season ***

280,357 Views | 3441 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ag Natural
Ag Natural
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't think anyone else in the NFC East thinks they are catching Dallas. But as of right now both the Giants and Skins would be Wild Card (I think).

There is so much right with this team it's scary. At what point do we start saying Garrett might be decent? Has hell frozen over yet?
jr15aggie
AG
jr15aggie said:

After Week 9:

Cowboys 7-1

NFC East lead is 2 games over everybody.

NFC top seed lead is 1.5 games (will be 2 full games if Seattle loses tonight)

Zeke is #1 rusher. The closest RBs are DeMarco (84 yards back) and Gordon (123 yards back), but get this, both those guys have played 1 more game than Zeke because they haven't had a bye week yet!

Dak Prescott is #4 in QB rating & yards per attempt

Dallas Offense is #3 (411.5 yards/game) #4 in scoring (27.9) & #1 rush yards/game (165.3).

Dallas has a top 10 defense (yards/game) and are #4 at 17.5 points/game.

Did you know: Philly is now 3 games back and 0-3 in the division. Unless they practically play perfect football the rest of the way they are pretty much a non factor in the race for the NFC East.

Had to bump my own post... I looked up all the stats, I'll be darned if it gets buried as the last post on the previous page :-)
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Ag Natural said:

I don't think anyone else in the NFC East thinks they are catching Dallas. But as of right now both the Giants and Skins would be Wild Card (I think).

There is so much right with this team it's scary. At what point do we start saying Garrett might be decent? Has hell frozen over yet?
3-4 years ago he was an awful game day coach. i don't think anyone who has any understanding of the game could deny this. ming boggling decisions, terrible clock mgmt from the sidelines, unnecessary challenges, and mind numbing low IQ moments from the team.

i think he's definitely evolved though into becoming a better coach and these guys play hard for him.
Rudyjax
AG
I think anyone who has ever played Madden is better at clock management than most head coaches.
Macarthur
Unthought Known said:

I think anyone who has ever played Madden is better at clock management than most head coaches.

Yeah, when I watch football at all levels, I see horrible clock management.

I do think JG has gotten better since he brought in Linehan and he focuses just on being the HC. And I can say that I have never seen this team quit on him. His guys do play hard for him.
jtstanley4621
AG
I still just can't quite comprehend how good and solid Dak has been. There was no letdown against the Browns, and he pretty much rebounded from his performance against the Eagles, which wasn't really that bad to begin with.

I think what is so shocking to me is that I really did not think he was an NFL QB in college. Or at least a starting NFL QB. I thought he was a better throwing Tebow who struggled with accuracy at times, and was in a somewhat simplistic spread system. A really good college QB, but wasn't going to adjust to the NFL well.

But since he's gotten here, he's shown that he can read defenses well, doesn't force throws that much, has been pretty good in terms of accuracy, and only runs when he has to. Plus he hasn't seemed to panic at all this season. It hasn't been perfect, but it does feel like he's getting better with each week. And there is no way that the front office saw THIS coming when they picked him either. I think I read somewhere that they wanted Connor Cook ahead of him. And while there's no denying that he's in an ideal spot for a QB (very good running game and o-line, solid skill position weapons), he's been about as good as you could possibly want from a rookie.
jr15aggie
AG
I'm hearing across sport talk nation that what he is doing is completely unprecedented for rookies... like EVER! Granted NFL QB stats are different in today's world, but what I'm hearing isn't even so much about stats. It's about the wins, the TDs and lack of INTs, it's about all the intangibles that makes him as good as he is. A true phenom.

I know I don't fully understand and appreciate it... kind of impossible to fully comprehend.
Sea Gull
AG
I think his biggest talent is his ability to be coached. It seems he listens to his coaches and learns from them. Against the Eagles, his biggest pitfall was throwing off his back foot. Against Cleveland, his posture was 10x better. Of course, it was the Browns. But it still shows that last week was addressed and effort was made to correct it from Dak. IMO that's his biggest positive.
Rudyjax
AG
He makes playing QB in the NFL look easy.

The hardest position in all sports.

Look at it that way.
ce1994
AG
I think coaching is horrible at all levels. For instance, how hard is it to tell a punt returner to stand on the 10 yard line and if he has to back up DO NOT FIELD THE PUNT. I mean really. That is basic football 101. i was watching the LSU-Alabama game the other night and a player fielded a punt on the one yard line.

Kicking the ball out of bounds, calling a time out before the two minutes warning, etc. are all things foreign to these coaches. They can't even coach them to run through the goal line and not dropping the ball before rossing the goal.
Rudyjax
AG
ce1994 said:

I think coaching is horrible at all levels. For instance, how hard is it to tell a punt returner to stand on the 10 yard line and if he has to back up DO NOT FIELD THE PUNT. I mean really. That is basic football 101. i was watching the LSU-Alabama game the other night and a player fielded a punt on the one yard line.

Kicking the ball out of bounds, calling a time out before the two minutes warning, etc. are all things foreign to these coaches. They can't even coach them to run through the goal line and not dropping the ball before rossing the goal.

All of those things are human errors. In not one instance was the player coached not to do those things. You can take a horse to water, but you can't push him in.
jtstanley4621
AG
jr15aggie said:

I'm hearing across sport talk nation that what he is doing is completely unprecedented for rookies... like EVER! Granted NFL QB stats are different in today's world, but what I'm hearing isn't even so much about stats. It's about the wins, the TDs and lack of INTs, it's about all the intangibles that makes him as good as he is. A true phenom.

I know I don't fully understand and appreciate it... kind of impossible to fully comprehend.
Yep. In some sense I'm kind of waiting to wake up from a dream, and we're at about .500 with Prescott struggling and teams keying on Elliott to stop the run.

But yet... Here we are. Elliott and Prescott have exceeded just about any expectations you could have had for them before the season began.
ce1994
AG
If it is your job to tell the guy to stand on the 10 yard line and if he has to back up not to field the punt and you are paid 6 figures to do that then the human error lies on the coach. If you have to tell that idiot player every time he goes out there for a punt the deal then so be it. It only happens 1-2 times a game probably.

Another case in point. Matt Schaub admitted one time he did not know how far the potential game winning field goal in regulation would be. The Texans punted the ball because it was too far but Schaub admitted he did not know how far the kick would have been. This is your quarterback. You have to know that. Period.
jtstanley4621
AG
I think Prescott's success underscores something that I've thought for a while. Mainly, if your team is close to what you would consider "rebuilding," it makes no sense to leverage a huge amount of draft picks on a QB. It's maybe not easier, but it does make more sense to try and iron out at least a few of the positions around your QB before drafting him. That's one of the reasons why Dak has had success. He has good pieces around him, and as a result doesn't have to make every play in the world. Russell Wilson entered a similar situation when he first got to Seattle.

I think the Eagles and the Rams are going to learn this lesson pretty soon. Not saying that Goff and Wentz can't become eliter NFL QBs, but it's going to be tough to build around them with young talent now that both teams gave up what they did to get those guys.
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

For what its worth, sometimes you take risks on punts (and kickoffs) and field it inside the 10 (or in the endzone) with the hope that you just get lucky, or that they've outkicked their coverage, etc.

I have also seen statisticians that say you're better off on the whole fielding punts unless they're inside the 5; so the conventional not inside the 10 yard line may not be the smart rule in the first place. And I think as punters have gotten better, that will continue to shift.

LSU's returner fielder one at the 3 yard line. It was on a 54 yard punt, so maybe you think you take a chance there that Alabama's coverage is a little behind the punt. It didn't work out.

Maybe the LSU player was just a knucklehead. Wouldn't be the first time.
jr15aggie
AG
http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2016/11/07/cowbuzz-mannequinchallenge-goes-viral-after-win-over-browns

ROFL!!!

Not sure what the Mannequin Challenge is, but I think the Cowboys nailed it. LOL, putting Romo in the "stow away" compartment, Zeke showing his abs... LOL... awesome!!!
ce1994
AG
I have been arguing against this franchise quarterback nonsense for years. There is not only one quarterback coming out of college every year that has the tools to succeed in the NFL. That is utter crap. You also do not want to pay them a mint. Just ask Baltimore how that is working out. Or New Orleans.
ce1994
AG
Okay, so you have debunked my thing about punts. I might buy into it but I do not. How about teaching them to fall on the ball instead of trying to scoop it up and run with it. Just fall on the ball.
TXAggie2011
AG
First round quarterbacks are the ones with staying power.

14 teams are starting a quarterback drafted before 2011.

5 were #1 picks. 8 were top-11 picks. 10 were top 24 picks. 11 were first round picks.

It is more scattered from 2011 forward, as younger guys are still getting their opportunities. Newton and Luck are still around, of course. Seems like Carolina should be pretty happy with that and the Colts seem to be happy with Andrew Luck.
PooDoo
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

5 were #1 picks. 8 were top-11 picks. 10 were top 24 picks. 11 were first round picks.

It is more scattered from 2011 forward, as younger guys are still getting their opportunities. Newton and Luck are still around, of course. Seems like Carolina should be pretty happy with that and the Colts seem to be happy with Andrew Luck.
That's less than half.

The wild card that is being thrown into the old 1st round QB theory is the way the college game has evolved to the spread offenses. It makes it harder on scouts and GM's to predict if a spread QB can transition to a pro offense. If they don't fit in the 6'4" drop back QB mold they have a hard time grading the player.

There will be more talent at QB slipping to the later rounds and because of that there will be more and more franchise QB drafted after the 1st round.
JAggie2007
AG
ce1994 said:

If it is your job to tell the guy to stand on the 10 yard line and if he has to back up not to field the punt and you are paid 6 figures to do that then the human error lies on the coach. If you have to tell that idiot player every time he goes out there for a punt the deal then so be it. It only happens 1-2 times a game probably.

Another case in point. Matt Schaub admitted one time he did not know how far the potential game winning field goal in regulation would be. The Texans punted the ball because it was too far but Schaub admitted he did not know how far the kick would have been. This is your quarterback. You have to know that. Period.
WTF are you even talking about right now?
Rudyjax
AG
ce1994 said:

A. A coach can't teach every player everything about football. That's Schaub being stupid. Not coaches fault.
B. All coaches teach not to back up to catch a punt. But if you have a dynamic return guy and there's a ton of space, it's a risk reward thing.
C. Coaches can go over it 1000 times, but these are humans. People make mistakes and the better the player the more confidence they have to take these risks.
D. Also, OL holding and presnap penalties are on bad players, not just on undisciplined. They have to get the jump, they have to hold to keep someone from getting killed.
E. Most football players are very gifted athletically. Maybe not so much in the brains department.
F. There is a lot on coaching, but some of these aren't always exclusively on coaching..
TXAggie2011
AG
PooDoo said:

TXAggie2011 said:

That's less than half.

The wild card that is being thrown into the old 1st round QB theory is the way the college game has evolved to the spread offenses. It makes it harder on scouts and GM's to predict if a spread QB can transition to a pro offense. If they don't fit in the 6'4" drop back QB mold they have a hard time grading the player.

There will be more talent at QB slipping to the later rounds and because of that there will be more and more franchise QB drafted after the 1st round.
Well, if I understood ce1994 right, he was saying the notion of a "franchise quarterback" was nonsense in the first place.

But how many were drafted before 2011 or not was not really the point. The point was to look at where successful quarterbacks are found---which to your particular point, in your world of more difficult quarterback grading, becomes more important; your observation cuts both ways.

It suggests it less necessary to draft a quarterback high in the draft, but it also suggests it more difficult to confidently draft a successful quarterback anywhere in the draft which brings you back to looking for a long-term, "franchise" quarterback so you're not dependent on successive good drafting of quarterbacks which brings you back to the first round.

We can't really use a guy drafted a year or two as a data point for long-term success, hence the look at those guys with "staying power."

That said, even with quarterbacks drafted since 2011, its skewed towards the top of the first round. 6 of the 18 were drafted in the first 3 picks, with another drafted 8th. Another 3 were drafted with the 35th or 36th overall point, so early in the first round.
Agnzona
The NFL doesn't develop QBs worth a dann and they are even worse at assesing them. Hell the Cowboys had no idea about Dec after OTAs and Minnie camp.

Considering how important the position is I would draft one every year.
Ag Natural
AG
I'd like to see the number and round of all QBs drafted who turned out to be terrible.

The fact is there have been A LOT of busts over the years. And for a position as important as QB you are basically setting the franchise back a few years each time you take a guy early who doesn't turn out to be good. This Dak situation has basically verified that its nearly impossible to truly evaluate these guys out of college. For every Luck and Cam you have 10 jags. And to make matters worse, you can't really find out what you have until you've spent a lot of time developing and probably losing games. Hell, the Rams aren't even putting Goff on the field yet because they don't think he's ready.

It's got to just kill GMs when you have a guy like Dak come around who enters OTAs not knowing how to take a snap and plays nearly error-free in his FIRST PRESEASON game just a couple months later and hasn't let up since. His progression has been mind-boggling.

BassCowboy33
ce1994 said:

I'll disagree about timeouts before the two minute warning. You see guys do that all the time.

Also, some of these players are just dumb and no amount coaching can fix it. You have to have a certain brain power to be coached in the first place.
BassCowboy33
Ag Natural said:

I'd like to see the number and round of all QBs drafted who turned out to be terrible.

The fact is there have been A LOT of busts over the years. And for a position as important as QB you are basically setting the franchise back a few years each time you take a guy early who doesn't turn out to be good. This Dak situation has basically verified that its nearly impossible to truly evaluate these guys out of college. For every Luck and Cam you have 10 jags. And to make matters worse, you can't really find out what you have until you've spent a lot of time developing and probably losing games. Hell, the Rams aren't even putting Goff on the field yet because they don't think he's ready.

It's got to just kill GMs when you have a guy like Dak come around who enters OTAs not knowing how to take a snap and plays nearly error-free in his FIRST PRESEASON game just a couple months later and hasn't let up since. His progression has been mind-boggling.

It's an incredibly inexact science. In the Senior Bowl, Dak looked troubled by even the most basic 4-3 defense. He had one pass the he put right between the linebackers numbers. It was an incredibly unimpressive performance (that dropped INT allowed a score a couple plays later). Not to mention that Showers outperformed him early in camp when Dak was just trying to take snaps correctly. At some point the light just goes on for some guys.

The luck involved is mind-boggling. You take a guy at #4, who, if you're lucky, will be on the team for 7 seasons, then find your future for the next 10-15 years (knock on wood) in the 4th round? That's so impossibly rare that it's difficult to conjure up more than a couple examples in the modern era.
TXAggie2011
AG
Dak Prescott has verified nothing that wasn't verified before which was only that you can find a good NFL quarterback outside the first round.

But drafting is about giving yourself the best opportunity to discover a good player. Dak Prescott doesn't mean you should wait until the 4th round to draft a quarterback. You do that and the overwhelming odds are that he won't turn out to be a good NFL quarterback.

Quote:

For every Luck and Cam you have 10 jags.
Who are you including in this sample? All drafted quarterbacks? First round quarterbacks? Top-10 picks?

There are not 10 "jag" first rounders for every good one; and certainly not when looking at the top-10 picks which teams trade up to make which started this conversation.

Going back to 2003, your top 10-pick QBs are Carson Palmer, Byron Leftwich, Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Alex Smith, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, JaMarcus Russell, Matt Ryan, Matt Stafford, Mark Sanchez, Sam Bradford, Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, RGIII, Ryan Tannehill, Blake Bortles, Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Jared Goff, and Carson Wentz.

You can expand that one pick to get Ben Roethlisberger, Jay Cutler, and I think Blaine Gabbert.

There are some absolute busts in there but you're not going to find nearly as good a chance to draft a good quarterback in any other segment of the draft.

TXAggie2011
AG
But anyways, that's more for another poster perhaps.

What we've seen with Dak Prescott is just incredible.
jtstanley4621
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

But anyways, that's more for another poster perhaps.

What we've seen with Dak Prescott is just incredible.
I'm just constantly shocked by it. We got very lucky when he fell into our laps, especially considering that we wanted Lynch and Cook ahead of him.
Ag Natural
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Dak Prescott has verified nothing that wasn't verified before which was only that you can find a good NFL quarterback outside the first round.

But drafting is about giving yourself the best opportunity to discover a good player. Dak Prescott doesn't mean you should wait until the 4th round to draft a quarterback. You do that and the overwhelming odds are that he won't turn out to be a good NFL quarterback.

Quote:

Who are you including in this sample? All drafted quarterbacks? First round quarterbacks? Top-10 picks?

There are not 10 "jag" first rounders for every good one; and certainly not when looking at the top-10 picks which teams trade up to make which started this conversation.

Going back to 2003, your top 10-pick QBs are Carson Palmer, Byron Leftwich, Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Alex Smith, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, JaMarcus Russell, Matt Ryan, Matt Stafford, Mark Sanchez, Sam Bradford, Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, RGIII, Ryan Tannehill, Blake Bortles, Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Jared Goff, and Carson Wentz.

You can expand that one pick to get Ben Roethlisberger, Jay Cutler, and I think Blaine Gabbert.

There are some absolute busts in there but you're not going to find nearly as good a chance to draft a good quarterback in any other segment of the draft.

I'm including all QBs drafted in my assessment. Its not surprising that the higher picks statistically have a higher hit rate but it's not that exceedingly better. That list alone is pretty unimpressive especially when you consider two factors:

1. A top ten pick is going to get a lot of attention. No organization wants to miss with that pick so every possible effort is made to develop these guys. Later round QBs are lucky to get a few reps in the preseason. Tono Romo didn't play in a real game until his fourth season and he would have been bad he probably would have been gone immediately. Meanwhile, guys like Bradford and Smith get multiple chances to prove themselves and might EVENTUALLY have a modicum of success.

2. A top ten pick costs more financially and in terms of opportunity cost. Plus take a look at all the trades made to jump up to get these guys. It can cripple a team.

The more I look at it the more I'm convinced you just bring in two or three cheap guys a year until you find a couple who seem to get it.
jtstanley4621
AG
Quote:

When I read this I literally thought they meant "jags," as in members of the Jacksonville Jaguars, and he was using their team name as a synonym for bust. And... In a historical sense, it kind of made sense.
TXAggie2011
AG
I also had to look up "jag."

Quote:

Its not surprising that the higher picks statistically have a higher hit rate but it's not that exceedingly better.
Half the league is playing top 10/11 picks. The other half comes mostly from the rest of the first round and the few remaining come from the other 6 rounds of the draft. Its exceedingly better and then some.

Quote:

1. A top ten pick is going to get a lot of attention. No organization wants to miss with that pick so every possible effort is made to develop these guys. Later round QBs are lucky to get a few reps in the preseason. Tono Romo didn't play in a real game until his fourth season and he would have been bad he probably would have been gone immediately. Meanwhile, guys like Bradford and Smith get multiple chances to prove themselves and might EVENTUALLY have a modicum of success.
There is certainly an entrance barrier to getting playing time, and that's convincing the team that you deserve playing time. And fair, we can't accurately account for developmental attention.

Still, Sam Bradford hit 60% of his passes for 3500 yards and a positive TD:INT ratio as a rookie. But its your position he needed multiple chances to prove he could have a "modicum" of success?

And its your position that that could just about have easily been Tim Tebow, John Skelton, Joe Webb, Levi Brown, or one of the other 14 quarterbacks drafted in 2010 if they only got the attention that Sam Bradford got?

The Titans could have started Rusty Smith every game since and he'd still be a terrible NFL quarterback.

(Rusty Smith, by the way, was a 6th round pick who got to start a game his rookie year where he promptly went 17 for 31 with 3 interceptions and no touchdowns.)
TXAggie2011
AG

Quote:

The more I look at it the more I'm convinced you just bring in two or three cheap guys a year until you find a couple who seem to get it.
So, you'd do what the Cowboys did around 2001? Yeah...

I hear Cleveland has a football team.

The Cowboys got lucky with Romo after a lot of miserable seasons and they got lucky with Dak. Just enjoy it and lets hope we don't have a QB vacancy for a long time.

(Pardon my sarcasm)
PatAg
AG
jr15aggie said:

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2016/11/07/cowbuzz-mannequinchallenge-goes-viral-after-win-over-browns

ROFL!!!

Not sure what the Mannequin Challenge is, but I think the Cowboys nailed it. LOL, putting Romo in the "stow away" compartment, Zeke showing his abs... LOL... awesome!!!
NO, bad jr15aggie, bad!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.