*** COWBOYS 2016 Season ***

280,407 Views | 3441 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ag Natural
PooDoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Might as well go back to the Travis Frederick draft and add Shariff Floyd to the mix.
corleoneAg99
AG
Yes it's true. Jerry hasn't missed on every pick.

He's one of the best.
jr15aggie
AG
Haters gonna hate!
corleoneAg99
AG
Homers and football buffoons gonna do whatever it is they do.
Reginald Cousins
S
quote:
Homers and football baffoons gonna do whatever it is they do.
Baffoon?
corleoneAg99
AG
See. Spell check is more your speed.
Reginald Cousins
S
quote:
See. Spell check is more your speed.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:

Enjoy watching the Cowboys, hyping our players, and only talking crap about other teams???
corleoneAg99
AG
quote:
quote:

Enjoy watching the Cowboys, hyping our players, and only talking crap about other teams???

Precisely.

As I've always said at least you admit it.
Btron
AG
Let's talk about the real issue here, Showers is the back up with no one behind him. What happens if Dak goes down? Or isn't productive? I have to think a vet is going to be added to the roster, right?
Reginald Cousins
S
I would assume they are now in the market (again) for a veteran.
Kashchei
AG
What if I like talking crap about the Cowboys? Aggie and Cowboy potbanger here!
Southlake
Remember, we coulda had Ramsay instead of Zeke too. Also the linebacker from Bama. Cowboy linebackers except for Sean are on par with A&Ms.

So, I have to give The Cowboys credit with the Dak pick at this point. And I'm not sure any QB pick in this draft is going to fare better. I really thought he'd be a project, and he kinda will be once defenses start throwing complex schemes at him. But one thing is for certain: Dak can't make the throws that Tony could, so expect the defenses to stack the lines. Dak is an excellent runner, but too much of that will get him injured (RGIII)Tony was also a wizard at going through progressions and reading defenses. This comes with time and experience; Tony is a much better QB then he was in his gunslinger days. Dak has to learn this. I have no problem with Swowers as the backup. Most NFL backups are poor anyway.

Tony was somewhat of a teaser. Unstoppable when hot - usually in the 4th qtr, great escapability and movement, making perfect reads. Most of all we enjoyed the Romo Magic borrowed from the Staubach days; if we had the ball at the end of the half or game, we were going to score. But remember the INT. against the Giants, and the FUMBLE against Seattle. Sadly, Romo has never been a champion, not in high school, college or the pros. Tony had developed into a leader in the last few years, however perhaps a bit too late. it's a shame that injuries have caught up to him. I really would to see him walk away while he's not crippled. This back injury might be heal able, but the next one could mar him for life.

Now the growing pains. Finding a new identity. After all, it was going to happen sooner or later. The offensive pieces are in place to build for the future - and just maybe, if Dak catches on, a wild card or even a playoff birth in the lovely NFC East.

I'm looking forward to the new beginnings. Thanks for the memories, TR.
Agnzona
On the bright side the Cowboys now have a good backup QB for the next 4 years......(Romo).
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Now the growing pains. Finding a new identity. After all, it was going to happen sooner or later. The offensive pieces are in place to build for the future - and just maybe, if Dak catches on, a wild card or even a playoff birth in the lovely NFC East.

I'm looking forward to the new beginnings. Thanks for the memories, TR.

Indeed, we might have gotten VERY lucky in that we'll have growing pains, not rebuilding HELL! Time will tell. But if Dak is indeed the guy we are projecting up at this point. This offense is set up perfectly to support a young QB and can still be downright deadly if Dak simply does what he's done in the preseason (stay poised and have no fear throwing down the field, even if it goes badly sometimes).

I said during the very impressive performance in Seattle that Dak is good enough to get this 2016 Cowboys team into the playoffs. If... HUGE if... that comes to pass I bet you see this team (in the offseason) make one big free agent defensive move, focus heavily on defense in the draft, and continue praying Jaylon Smith recovers 100%.

The Cowboys rallied around Romo when he became the starter and made the playoffs... then became a full fledged contender the following year. This current team is setup to do the exact same thing over the next few years.
Post removed:
by user
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
You people do realize preseason results mean absolutely nothing in NFL. Cowboys will find this out after Dak starts a few regular season games.

To be clear theres only a couple posters who are totally bought in right now already on Dak. The rest of us realize the regular season is a different animal and aren't ready to anoint him yet. That said he has outperformed other rookie QBs easily facing similar circumstances. And that said pro football focus in their QB analysis of Seattle said Dak had a very average type day against Seattles ones but average against their ones on that D would seem to mean he might indeed be good.
birdman
Dak did two things that I love from rookie quarterback.

He didn't run buckwild whenever he sensed danger.

And he wasn't afraid to rip the top off defense on deep ball.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I'm with Orlando. He's shown something and I really like what I've seen. But the preseason is such a different animal.

Another concern for me is Garrett's approach with backups recently. I think Weeden was capable of far more than what dallas got out of him, and IMO much of that came back to the staff trying to be too conservative. I'm afraid that once the games actually count and the defenses get more complex, some of what we've seen in the preseason is going to go back into the shell.
PooDoo
AG
quote:
Dak did two things that I love from rookie quarterback.

He didn't run buckwild whenever he sensed danger.

And he wasn't afraid to rip the top off defense on deep ball.

He stood in there & took some big hits.
98Ag99Grad
AG
He hasn't turned the ball over and he's made good reads/checkdowns as well. I mean, at least he's looked competent back there and noT completely lost like some guys. Counting on a rookie QB to lead a team is never a good recipe for success but at least he gives some hope.
BassCowboy33
I imagine that you'll see a lot more of what Dak is good at. Lots of play action from the shotgun/pistol, various draws and reads, various roll outs, etc. you'll see less five and seven step drops from under center. You'll also probably see lots of motion on offense to help the young guy read defenses.
jr15aggie
AG
And some of y'all don't need to confuse our optimism for blind faith. I'm not sure if anybody has said he is 100% our next QB. We don't know... but we are 100% sure that he's shown enough to get that chance. He's also shown enough to let us know he is special. We've all seen the QBs that came and wen't after Aikman/before Romo... and we've all seen the QBs that have come since Romo. Dak is the ONLY one that has shown he can handle the NFL and be a good starting QB. I don't give a crap if it's pre-season or regular season... all these other pretenders looked the same. They looked average in pre-season and were barely that when we needed them in the regular season.

Dak is different and, unfortunately, we are going to get an expedited look at what he can do. I would have much preferred him sit and watch/learn for a year or two, but it is what it is. I just happen to think with this offense he is going to have success.

It's better than sitting around assuming our season is practically over before it begins. Last year it was painfully obvious that we were done. No Dez, no Romo... DONE!!! But this year no Romo doesn't spell our doom because it appears we struck Gold with a 4th round pick.

Nothing is guaranteed, but I'm personally anticipating Dak being the talk of week 1 after we dispose of the Giants with our rookie QB!
corleoneAg99
AG
Sorry but you can't show that you're special in the preseason at QB.

Just can't. That's homerism and laughable.

You can however show you could handle the opportunity in the regular season without being a trainwreck and he's done that. Good luck to him.
Ag Natural
AG
quote:

You can however show you could handle the opportunity in the regular season without being a trainwreck and he's done that. Good luck to him.

True, you can't prove you are special in the preseason. But you certainly can show you suck. Besides, plenty of unheralded QBs got their shot because of preseason performances. Romo and Wilson being two great examples.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
At the very least he looks way more confident and poised than the mutts they had back there last year.
Reginald Cousins
S
Not so fast. I've got a baaaaaaaaaad feeling Sterling Shephard an OBJ are gonna kill people this year. Oh, what? We lack a pass rush? Yeah... Giants win comfortably.
jr15aggie
AG
I just disagree... Rookies don't show up and look this good in preseason like Dak has. Like it was said, Russel Wilson is the one who comes to mind who showed up immediately as a rookie.

But hey, we are all gonna find out soon enough.
Reginald Cousins
S
quote:
I just disagree... Rookies don't show up and look this good in preseason like Dak has. Like it was said, Russel Wilson is the one who comes to mind who showed up immediately as a rookie.

I tend to agree with you but let's not forget Wilson showed up to a super formidable rushing attack ANNNNNNDDDDDD arguably the best defense in the league.

We only have one of those.

HTH.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
I know its been discussed already some of you chose to see the good in it but i really feel like that DL is going to be terrible. I see Marineli throwing 1-3 extra guys at the pass rush and sometimes it working but a lot of times the Cowboys giving up big untimely first downs and TDs.
corleoneAg99
AG
quote:
quote:

True, you can't prove you are special in the preseason. But you certainly can show you suck. Besides, plenty of unheralded QBs got their shot because of preseason performances. Romo and Wilson being two great examples.

Cool. Sounds like we agree?
corleoneAg99
AG
quote:

Rookies typically aren't thrown into an offense like this either...they start on bad teams most of the time.

How little credit is being given to that versus Dak is...odd to me.

He's been good. But watching the games and then calling him special? It's just not on film. Not yet anyway.
Reginald Cousins
S
quote:
quote:
quote:

I tend to agree with you but let's not forget Wilson showed up to a super formidable rushing attack ANNNNNNDDDDDD arguably the best defense in the league.

We only have one of those.

HTH.

The rushing attack won't be good when other teams load the box. The Cowboy homerism is intense. Dak looks good in a couple meaningless preseason games and now people suddenly think Jerry's poor planning of a backup QB the last few years is justified and Dak will take last years 4-12 team to the playoffs.
You are a moran if you think loading the box won't result in some grave mismatches and points.
duck79
AG
Right now I just want hope that maybe, just maybe, there is light at the end of the tunnel and it's not a freight train. Thru 3 games, Dak has given me that and people need to quit trying to take it away. Let me have hope!!!
I know that Jerry and Jason will screw it up but right now I have hope.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.