*** COWBOYS 2016 Season ***

280,413 Views | 3441 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ag Natural
98Ag99Grad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anything better than 5-11 record will be a success IMO. Rookie QB. Terrible D. Love em but not expecting much.
PooDoo
AG
Looking at the schedule I think...
Split with the Giants and Redskins... 2 wins 2 losses
Sweep the Eagles... 2 wins
Beat the Bears, 49ers, and Browns... 3 wins
Bengals, Packers, and Vikings beat us... 3 losses
Steelers, Ravens, Buccs, and Lions 50/50... 2 wins 2 losses

9-7 looking at the schedule as an optimistic pessimist.
TyHolden
AG
11-5.....or 5-11
RedlineAg08
On the way to the game!
Sea Gull
AG
Getting close!
Kashchei
AG
My prediction: 7-9

Typical mediocrity. Our defense is going to be atrocious this season.
toucan82
10-6

My optimism has a few hours left
RedlineAg08
Zeke looks like ****
jeffdjohnson
Running backs are only as good as the line in front. That is why no one takes a running back in the top 5 anymore.

The Cowboys and Elliot will have better days. But I would rather have had Ramsey and Miles Jack. The Prescott pick will make up for it at least.
2ndGen87
AG
quote:
14-2

Mark it down
Damn, they are going 14-1 now...
Ag Natural
AG
Giants sold out to stop the run and WRs still couldn't get open.
Olsen
AG
Cowboys are going to have a very long season this year.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Where was Dez?
jr15aggie
AG
Hey look... the D was about what we thought they were. Gave up points and some big plays, but they are serviceable with this offense controlling the clock.

I absolutely HATED some of the offensive play calling at the end. The Giants were blitzing and stacking the line (which was EXACTLY what they did to us in 2007 and also did to the undefeated Patriots to win that Super Bowl) and we kept forcing the run right into them. Should have turned Dak loose a little more and made them pay.

But in the end, this Giants team should have a top 5 defense based on their personnel and money spent this offseason. It was a bad week 1 matchup and we were 5 seconds away or 1 more timeout away from beating them. No biggie. The future for our offense is definitely bright with Dak, Zeke, and this O-line... if our GM (Lord help us) can get some defensive players on the field we could have something.

Based on what I saw today we can put the hurt on some other teams with Dak at QB this year. If we lose to Washington next week then we are in trouble, but I bet we handle them with ease.
RedlineAg08
We were moving the ball with Morris. Should have kept him in.
Ozamataz Buckshank 01
AG
Zeke's job is not to get significant carries. His job is to sell jerseys.
corleoneAg99
AG
Yeah the Giants won't be a top 5 defense. Snacks and Hankins were great against the run but they are mediocre or worse pretty much everywhere else. Didn't see anything special from Vernon, JPP, or Jenkins.

The key difference between preseason and today was the deep coverage and the deep ball fits weren't there. Dak will get better at that(probably) and they won't face too many other teams playing essentially two 1 techs specifically rolled out there to stop the run.

Oh and maybe Jerrah will use the curtains he has for his laughable stadium. Great work there as always, Jerry.
RedlineAg08
JPP destroyed Doug Free every single play the last 2-3 drives. Free was barely getting his hands on him
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
but they are serviceable with this offense controlling the clock.
sorry, you are a good poster usually but i'm so tired of reading this logic. this stupid ass "our defensive plan is to be really good on offense" strategy is completely idiotic. this plan might be ok if you're goal is to get to 8 or 9 wins. even then it may not work. but if you are trying to win titles then this is an asinine way of doing things.

its very very rare that mediocre defenses play in super bowls much less win them. as i've mentioned before Jerry out and out said a couple of weeks ago they were hoping this D was as good as the 14 D. well that 14 D was a big reason they didn't get to the Super Bowl. the pass rush was zero , zilch, nada and they are still trying to make that style of D work.

you wana sit on your hands and not sign any impact FA? fine. whatever. but at least draft some guys then that can help you. frustrating to say the least.

and no, i'm not putting all the blame on the D. but you have to concede if this D is even 10% better today they probably win in spite of its general dumbassery.
corleoneAg99
AG
quote:
JPP destroyed Doug Free every single play the last 2-3 drives. Free was barely getting his hands on him

Destroying Doug Free isn't very hard.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I don't see how anyone can think this gameplan works. They've used it to loss afyer loss.

They need to grow a pair and quit being afraid to use the weapons they have. Great OL, a freak like Dez, great RB's, and very favorable PI rules - hammer with the run then throw deep. Quit relying entirely on the short, safe stuff that has to be executed perfectly for 60-80 yards. It always bogs down somewhere with a backup. Go attack. And so what if there is the occasional INT. At least it's well downfield.

They are safe'ing themselves to death. It's the definition of insanity.
BassCowboy33
Morris averaged 7.0 ypc, while Zeke only averaged 2.5 ypc. What's the point of signing Morris if you don't go with the hot hand? It was obvious that Morris was finding the seams and making better decisions. Elliott was indecisive at the point of attack, kept trying to bounce plays, and constantly went down at first contact. Hopefully the staff doesn't bench the guy having a better day, due to some sense of necessity.
RedlineAg08
Dez was running vertical routes and had single coverage a lot but Doug Free couldn't even put his hands on JPP so Dak was forced to go short.

the defense lacks playmakers. The DTs played relatively well. I thought Claiborne played pretty well too. There just isn't anyone who can go make a play,
Boiling Denim
Vets let down Dak today. Dropped TDs, Oline with critical penalties, the last play

Zeke looked like dog doody. Off to a lackluster Melvin Gordon/Trent Richardson start
BassCowboy33
quote:
Dez was running vertical routes and had single coverage a lot but Doug Free couldn't even put his hands on JPP so Dak was forced to go short.

the defense lacks playmakers. The DTs played relatively well. I thought Claiborne played pretty well too. There just isn't anyone who can go make a play,
I will say that Terrell McClain made two or three nice plays in the backfield.
RedlineAg08
We'll see.. I'm reserving the "this is why you don't draft RBs #4 overall" explitive laced rant until halfway thru the season.

Truth is the Giants dline is tough, and he may need a few games to slow down and start running with better vision.
Macarthur
quote:
We'll see.. I'm reserving the "this is why you don't draft RBs #4 overall" explitive laced rant until halfway thru the season.

Truth is the Giants dline is tough, and he may need a few games to slow down and start running with better vision.

Giants did invest in that DL. And those two DTs were huge.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Giants went out and made the necessary moves to improve defense. Dallas decided their goal should be to replicate the 2014 unit which could get no pressure on the QB.
DannyDuberstein
AG
So for those keeping score, this game was a W for the 4-12 2015 Cowboys that now slides over to the L column.
PooDoo
AG
How many times do you want to target Dez? The guy had plenty of chances but he still hasn't learned how to tuck the ball away.... Stuff I was taught in peewee.

I'd trade him straight up for old ass Larry Fitzgerald right now. He isn't smart enough to learn from his mistakes.
Ag12thman
AG
Elliott looked horrible. Free looked horrible. T. Williams is horrible.
PatAg
AG
he also doesn't know how to run a route
Ag Natural
AG
quote:
Giants went out and made the necessary moves to improve defense. Dallas decided their goal should be to replicate the 2014 unit which could get no pressure on the QB.

I'm pretty sure the Cowboys couldn't have done what the Giants did regardless. They spent a ton of money on those guys. They also caught a bit of a break on JPP. He was set to break the bank before the accident.
Sea Gull
AG
Here are my humble thoughts about the first game of the year.

1) Doug Free got absolutely owned by JPP. There were multiple plays where Dak had to unload before he wanted to because he was getting hounded immediately by JPP. The rest of the oline was good. Collins struggled at times. Chaz Green is not ready for the big time. When Smith left, the Giants ran multiple stunts that confused the crap out of Green. But Doug Free is going to have to be replaced. He's not gong to cut it this year. I don't know why they keep trotting him out there year after year.

2) Ezekiel looked really hesitant. He had 1-2 runs where he showed the burst the Cowboys drafted him for. His vision, or rather lack of, is concerning as he never seemed to find the holes. Alfred looked 10x better, but in typical Garrett fashion, got limited touches.

3) The receivers completely whiffed this game. Dez showed once again that he can't make the tough catches when it matters, although I'm willing to throw this one up to rust from not playing last year. Beasley had numerous drops on key plays. Also, why doesn't he ever turn up field? His first step after the catch seems to be backwards. And then Terence Williams. Sigh. Also, don't forget Dunbar had a chance to sprint to the sidelines as well and didn't. It seems to be a system wide case of stupidity once again. This has shown to be a common issue with Garrett led teams.

4) The tight ends looked ok. Witten looked good until the end of the game when that glare from the sunlight. He also whiffed on a few blocks. Geoff Swaim seems to have won the 2nd string from Escobar. He had a nice catch but needs to up his blocking game. He looked overmatched in that capacity.

5) The defense is exactly what we thought it was going to be. The only bright spot was McClain on the inside. He was the only d-lineman who seemed to be any kind of effective. The secondary absolutely blows in every aspect. Scandrick doesn't have that quickness we've come to expect. Mo and Carr were absolutely dreadful. The safeties were non-existent. The linebackers got swallowed up by the Giants O-line since the D-line was so ineffective. Even the Giants tight ends, who are very average compared to the other teams of the NFC East, were open all day long. The only time they got any kind of pressure on Eli was when they brought a safety or corner. That's not good. We need Gregory and Lawrence back in a big way. By the way, thank you to those 2 idiots for being so ****ing selfish and getting hit with the ban hammer.

Overall, I was impressed with the play of Dak. The kid was fantastic. He just needs some help from the rest of his team and his coaching staff.
Ag12thman
AG
Good stuff. I agree with all your points.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.