*** COWBOYS 2016 Season ***

280,409 Views | 3441 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ag Natural
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Romo looked like crap when he came back from injury last year. Doesn't need many reps, but certainly more than zero. Probably see him for 3-4 series next week. Then none in the last game
To me, it depends if Tyron Smith is playing next week. If not, I dont play Romo at all with Chaz Green against Seattle.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
also showed some footwork issues on a couple of plays. almost got tangled up on his own feet one play. he looks great and pretty much as good as you can hope, but definitely need to hold off on the "annointing oil" as Parcells once put it.

Sure, you don't anoint him yet, but Dak has definitely changed our course of action for the immediate future. If Dak had struggled like many of us assumed he would, a vet. back-up this year was probably in order. We also would have been looking very hard at 1st round QBs going into the draft next year.

As of right now the Cowboys are pretty much no longer shopping for a QB with experience and we are going to have QB as a VERY low priority come draft time. He may not be "the guy", but he's far and away the best candidate we've had in years and I think the team is going to nurture his career as if he is the heir apparent and see what happens.

The good news is that the last time most of us saw a new Dallas QB and said "this guy is special" was Tony Romo. And the time before that it was Troy Aikman. It was obvious all the Steve Walsh's & Stephen McGee's in between just didn't measure up. Dak has that special look about him though... hopefully he stays the course and becomes our next starting QB and we can avoid QB hell post Romo!
jr15aggie
AG
Read Matt Jones (Redskins starting RB) out rest of pre-season (they are thinking he'll be back for the opener).

No idea why they let Alfred Morris walk considering we picked him up relatively cheaply. Guy started all 4 years since his rookie year for them and hadn't missed a single game. Comes here and has looked every bit as solid as the guy that has been chewing up dirty yards against us all those years. And the better part is we got him on a 2 year deal. Sweet!
Sea Gull
AG
Morris has looked really good this preseason
Southlake
Morris's numbers have declined every season. He had a lot of carries and taken a lot of hits.
McFadden also has a lot of carries and taken a lot of hits. Who really knows if Zeke will be better than either; we haven't even seen Zeke play at this level.

KM is gone. Dunbar is gone.

If Romo looks rusty or immobile or God forbid ineffective, look for an early QB controversy. Tony needs to establish himself right away in top form.

Thursday night could answer some question, but I bet Tony plays one series if at all.
corleoneAg99
AG
Morris' numbers may have declined but, like McFadden last year, hes now running behind the best run blocking OL in football.

Past performance in this case is not a predictor.

k20dub
AG

jr15aggie
AG
quote:

But of course he did... us Cowboy fans were just starting to feel good about things and football karma decided, "OK, enough of that!"
Silvertaps
AG
Good grief
BassCowboy33
David Moore just said on The Ticket that it's more precautionary than anything. If this were an in-season week, he would be cleared by Sunday.

We've already seen enough of Dez this preseason anyway.
jr15aggie
AG
Cool! And yes, we've already seen enough of Dez. He's ready!

I cannot friggin wait to see Zeke against Seattle's D in a couple days! I was team Zeke throughout the draft and it's killing me we haven't seen him run yet!
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
David Moore just said on The Ticket that it's more precautionary than anything. If this were an in-season week, he would be cleared by Sunday.

We've already seen enough of Dez this preseason anyway.
agreed..they don't seem too worried about it. would like to have seen him get that all important 3rd game chemistry in with Romo but not sure if it'll make that much of a difference now.
Southlake
Don't expect Romo to play either. Absolutely no need. Seahawks are very physical even in preseason and would love to break Romo in half. Preseason players trying to make a team looking for a big sack / big hit.

Hide his helmet. Wait maybe Tony already did...
BassCowboy33
quote:
Don't expect Romo to play either. Absolutely no need. Seahawks are very physical even in preseason and would love to break Romo in half. Preseason players trying to make a team looking for a big sack / big hit.

Especially with Tyron likely not playing.
Reginald Cousins
S
A little Dak & Zeke for you guys... Very telling to me was that Zeke seemed to be the only one to pop off he planned to change his rating...

Macarthur
quote:

I think I would start him, just to get the juices flowing and the routine.

But I would have him hand off twice and a 3 step drop and throw a slant then put the ball cap on.
jr15aggie
AG
Romo will play... let's not pretend that even 10 year vets can't be rusty. The 1st unit needs work together to get ready for week 1 and none of the starters are going to play vs. the Texans in the last pre-season game. Typically the starters play 1 half in game 3, but I bet Romo plays 1st quarter and maybe a little in the 2nd, but we see Dak get some 2nd quarter work with the starters too.

And Tyron Smith is apparently going to play as well so we won't have to worry about Chaz getting Romo killed!
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
A little Dak & Zeke for you guys... Very telling to me was that Zeke seemed to be the only one to pop off he planned to change his rating...
They gave Zeke an overall rating of 80! LOL... with this O-line Zeke is an overall 80 with a broken toe. Yeah, that ratings going up starting tomorrow night when he tears Seattle a new A-Hole!
PooDoo
AG
I really hope Claiborne forces a ratings change... 69 overall and can't cover squat.

jr15aggie
AG
Sorta Cowboys news since he was a projected Cowboy by many... Chargers have pulled Joey Bosa's contract off the table after it was rejected again. Chargers claim at this point no way can Bosa contribute a full 16 games his rookie year since he's missed so much training camp (can't argue with that).

So what's Bosa's argument??? Why hasn't he signed and what's the holdup?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17383258/san-diego-chargers-pull-offer-unsigned-draft-pick-joey-bosa
PooDoo
AG
Chargers want guaranteed money back if Bosa gets hurt... Or some such.

It's typical Chargers BS.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:

Yeah, I did some digging and didn't get specific details, but apparently the way they structure some of this guarantees, etc. is done in a way that it doesn't match what the top 5 picks have gotten since the rookie cap was put in place. Basically there is a standard precedent set with typical contracts for top picks but the Chargers do it their own way. Probably hasn't come up before cause SD hasn't had a top 5 pick in some time.

Say what you want about Jerry, but contract negotiations have never been a problem for us. He always gets what he believes is fair value for the player (and the player is happy too). Not to say he hasn't made poor signings and over-evaluated certain player's abilities... but the contracts always get done!
DannyDuberstein
AG
I love the city of San Diego. But their pro franchises are run by morons.
Macarthur
Yep. This is a trash move by SD.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:

Yeah, I did some digging and didn't get specific details, but apparently the way they structure some of this guarantees, etc. is done in a way that it doesn't match what the top 5 picks have gotten since the rookie cap was put in place. Basically there is a standard precedent set with typical contracts for top picks but the Chargers do it their own way. Probably hasn't come up before cause SD hasn't had a top 5 pick in some time.

Say what you want about Jerry, but contract negotiations have never been a problem for us. He always gets what he believes is fair value for the player (and the player is happy too). Not to say he hasn't made poor signings and over-evaluated certain player's abilities... but the contracts always get done!

The way ESPN talks about it, Bosa is fighting over something that most draft picks never get.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Not true. SD is asking for something that other teams don't - both an offset clause and a split signing bonus. They've just put on a PR campaign to make it seem like he's the bad guy.
PooDoo
AG
They are morons. The LAST thing an ownership group needs when they are begging taxpayers for a new stadium... pinching pennies and losing top talent.

Jerry needs to find a way to bring that kid to Dallas!
BMX Bandit
I think he will sign.

But it's back to the draft if he doesn't
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
i think he'll sign too.

he'll lose a significant amount of dough if he just sits a year and re-enters in 17.

Macarthur
quote:
i think he'll sign too.

he'll lose a significant amount of dough if he just sits a year and re-enters in 17.

I'm not so sure about that.

From what I've read, his family has lots of money. I don't think this will be motivated by money. What SD is tryign to do is BS and I support him making a stand. I think he is still a high pick in the next draft.
Macarthur
And at this point, after what the franchise has done and said about him, how do you have any sort of loyalty or dedication to that franchise?
DannyDuberstein
AG
The craziest part to me is that in the grand scheme, these rookie deals are small enough now that this is a relatively small amount of money that the franchise is trying to protect itself on. So for a franchise in their condition and with a big vote looming, it's absolutely mind-boggling that they would choose to play hardball on this.
jr15aggie
AG
Agreed. The rookie wage scale was suppose to make rookie hold outs a thing of the past. And it has, up until SD goes and tries to put a couple stupid stipulations in that no other team does.

What's ironic (or perhaps telling about SD) is the strangest draft thing I remember prior to this was the Eli / Rivers trade that happened after SD took Eli after Eli already made it clear he would not play for SD.
BMX Bandit
My guess is that his parents aren't so wealthy that he is willing to turn down all that money now and a year extra until free agency. I would be absolutely stunned if he is not signed.

Even if he is in the right, it's just too much money to try to make a stand
jr15aggie
AG
It's bad business for SD. That's a fact. Putting your own spin on rookie contracts isn't going to make you any friends and good luck re-signing these guys to reasonable 2nd contracts... they gone!

But on the flip side, they are agreeing to pay Bosa a crap ton of money per the rookie wage rates and Bosa has done exactly ZERO in the NFL to actually earn that money (like every other rookie). If he's a huge flop SD is still on the hook to pay him.

The point was made weeks ago and nobody was budging... Bosa & his agent should have sucked it up and signed so he could help his team.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.