*** COWBOYS 2016 Season ***

280,302 Views | 3441 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ag Natural
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Also, why doesn't he ever turn up field? His first step after the catch seems to be backwards. And then Terence Williams. Sigh. Also, don't forget Dunbar had a chance to sprint to the sidelines as well and didn't. It seems to be a system wide case of stupidity once again.
this problem with Beasely has been going on for 3 years. it NEVER gets COACHED or corrected. why is that?

TWill's play was dumb but Dunbar's play was just as dumb. It's one of those hidden moments that really was a huge negative but people got caught up in TWill's last play.

under Garrett you can go back and look at countless threads over the years about posters including myself saying this team lacked real IQ. its still the case. it's just a dumb team overall that isn't coached up the way it should be.

also, when that sun was clearly a problem (btw irony since we were home team) why did we keep designing plays into that sun?
jr15aggie
AG
In my admitted homer-ism I picked Dallas to win, but I also posted pre game that the Giants had a Big Boy defense. They are very physical and tough on D... on paper they should easily be a top 5 unit this year. Tough match up first game for a Rookie QB (who played VERY well I thought). Very frustrating that on typical running downs they loaded the box and we continued to run the ball for relatively nothing.

The good news is that we were "this" close to putting up 20 or 30 points on them had we converted more goal-to-go opportunities. The Beasley drop on the 1st drive just cannot happen... EVER! I still think this is a team that is going to hang with just about every team we play... we'll have an opportunity to win it. So far we are 0-1 in close games.

It sucks but it's only 1 game against, at the very least, a good team. Next week against Washington I not only expect a Win but we have to have it. Last thing we need is to climb out of an 0-2 start!

Macarthur
Yes, Dak did pertty well overall. Gotta convert some TDs.

As for them loading the box, I read several folks that seem to think that Dak was not given much freedom on audibles. You know, Romo would have checked off and made them pay for some of that.
Macarthur
One other thing they didn't do much was put dez in the slot, use motion to get him freed up a bit. Pretty much the whole time he was out wide.
Ag Natural
AG
Pretty hard to criticize the defense when they only gave up 3 scoring drives and produced a turnover.

As for the offense, it's getting pretty tiresome to see the same old game plan continue to not work. In the preseason, we saw a ton of screens and I only remember one or two attempts on 3rd and long. I can't understand why Dak would continue to ignore swing passes to backs in order to hit Witten for two yard out patterns. Its hard to blame Dak though when it's been happening for years. Seriously, they should just make Romo the OC because he seems to be the only guy that can get anything out of these guys.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
As for the offense, it's getting pretty tiresome to see the same old game plan continue to not work. In the preseason, we saw a ton of screens and I only remember one or two attempts on 3rd and long.
This! I think I posted a couple things during the game about it and I was definitely mumbling this to myself as I got frustrated with the play calling late in the game.

We had them on the ropes at one point and then our creativity went into conservative mode! We were definitely out-coached once crunch time started! Was really the only thing I was frustrated with... I was pleased with how hard our guys played for the most part.
jr15aggie
AG
Here's a positive thought:

We were competitive and had many chances to win with a rookie QB against a quality opponent... and more importantly we did not suffer any major injuries that I'm aware of.

Still excited for this team and looking forward to putting a beat down on Washington (who will have a short week cause they are playing tonight).
jeffdjohnson
I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world for this team to draft in the top 5 again. Dak appears to have a floor no lower than a Tannehill type which is huge for the Cowboys. That is an extremely cheap, major asset under team control for a while.

If the Cowboys are out of contention by the time Romo is healthy then he shouldn't play again this season. Dak needs the development time at this point. If Dak continues to progress then you have to seriously consider cutting Romo after the season. It would be a 19.6M hit to the cap over two years. That is significantly cheaper than spending 49.8M to keep him. If Dak regresses then keep Romo for 2017. The real sticky situation will be if Dak excels in the upcoming weeks and the Cowboys remain in contention, no way Jerry keeps Romo on the bench, right?

If the Cowboys are smart they should have their eyes on 2018. They can have cap space, 2 years of development for Dak/Elliott, a great OL and have a chance to go defense heavy with a high draft slot next year. Maybe Jaylon Smith will even be out of his wheelchair by then.
Jimmy Conway
quote:
Pretty hard to criticize the defense when they only gave up 3 scoring drives and produced a turnover.

As for the offense, it's getting pretty tiresome to see the same old game plan continue to not work. In the preseason, we saw a ton of screens and I only remember one or two attempts on 3rd and long. I can't understand why Dak would continue to ignore swing passes to backs in order to hit Witten for two yard out patterns. Its hard to blame Dak though when it's been happening for years. Seriously, they should just make Romo the OC because he seems to be the only guy that can get anything out of these guys.

The defense plays ok at times but like a couple of years ago they can't get crucial timely stops when the game is on the line. Whether that be giving up big runs, or not getting a pass rush. Take your pick.

I think anyone thinking they have the defensive personnel to win more than 9 games especially up front is kidding themselves or naive. But to each his own.
Ag Natural
AG
Yeah, adding Myles Garrett and a healthy Jalen Smith would do wonders for this defense!

Barring a rash of injuries, I just don't' see it happening but it definitely wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.
Ag Natural
AG
quote:
quote:

The defense plays ok at times but like a couple of years ago they can't get crucial timely stops when the game is on the line. Whether that be giving up big runs, or not getting a pass rush. Take your pick.

I think anyone thinking they have the defensive personnel to win more than 9 games especially up front is kidding themselves or naive. But to each his own.
No matter what the personnel is, if you only give up 20 points you should win. I don't expect the defense to consistently play well, but they did well enough in that game.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Sucks to already have a view to the offseason.

But they need a year where they go pretty much exclusively defense in both free agency and the draft. The draft especially. I mean just stack and overstack guys to push bottom roster guys like Wilcox and Heath out and replace them with better faster younger guys.

Of course anyone saying they should do this or should do that means they probably wont. The Jones family has their own way of doing things whether its a winning formula or not.
BassCowboy33
So, theoretical scenario:

If you're Jason Garrett, how high on the list of "Plays to run on 3rd and Long" is the "Jason Witten screen pass"?
RedlineAg08
That was confusing as hell. 3rd and 20, I get the screen to be safe but don't give it to the slow possession TE that also doesn't fight for extra yardage anymore.

Might as well just handed it off
DannyDuberstein
AG
Witten might have broken that for a 1st down if all 11 defenders had pulled a Hilary.
corleoneAg99
AG
The reason the Garrett offensive game plan is so conservative is because last year he had bad QB's and now he has a rookie QB when he has to protect a BAD defense every year.

He could absolutely be more aggressive, and not put the offense on autopilot once they get a lead to milk the clock as much as possible but the reality is this. The real problem is and has been how HORRIBLY unbalanced this team is year in, year out.

The offense is stacked, except at QB I guess for now, while the defense has next to no game changing talent. As long as this is the case, the team will not compete for anything other than a division title(in a weak division) and a first or second round out.

The positive is that Dak could still be good enough for them not to be a losing team and make the playoffs but he certainly won't be good enough, as in an MVP candidate, to make up for the fact that this team is still, after a couple of mediocre to bad decades, still built very, very poorly.
Matsui
AG
Garrett is naturally conservative.
ce1994
AG
You are staring down a 4-12 season. Yesterday gave everyone the blue print on how to shut down the offense and the defense simply will not be able to hold up when they are on the field 35 plus minutes. I get the Cowboys controlled the clock yesterday but that will not always be the case.

Jason Garrett has to have incriminating pictures of Jerry Jones. That is the only explanation. What does Garrett do?
RedlineAg08
corleoneAg99
AG
Well most teams don't have Hankins and Snacks so they won't be able to shut down the between the tackles runs as much.

But if the defense can be run on by a bad Giants oline and Rashad Jennings, most teams are going to run on this this defense so Garrett will have to counter with playcalling that will stretch the field beyond passes to Witten and Beasley.

If not, then another top 5 pick is coming and Garrett could easily get fired although IMO, he's not the real problem.
RedlineAg08
100% agree again!
ce1994
AG
When you say the offense is stacked I am not sure what you are talking about. That offensive line might be a tad overrated. Not to say they are not good but people are talking like it is the 2nd coming. Jason Witten has nothing left. I could tackle him and that is not an overstatement. Witten goes down if someone blows on him. Other than Bryant they have no wide receivers anyone would want. And Bryant is turning into a steaming pile of crap. Elliot showed crap yesterday. So where is this force that is called the Dallas Cowboys offense?

While the offense is not as good as some think (IMO) the defense is not as bad (IMO). They have some guys on that side. They need someone to pressure the quarterback. That will change everything for the Cowboys. One guy that can bring heat.

It is Garrett. Garrett is the problem.
corleoneAg99
AG
I said the offense was stacked outside of QB.

That's important, my man.

Couple that with Garrett's playcalling and the Giants DT's and there is yesterday in a nutshell.

AND, when I say stacked I'm talking about one thing mainly....asset allocation.

Is it fair to say the Cowboys have invested WAY more in their offense than they have in their defense?

I think that's fair.

And that's the point.

If you want to blame Garrett for that so be it. I don't.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I get ce's point. I do think there are certain aspects that are somewhat overrated. But on the grand scale of NFL offensive talent and teams having to manage salary cap resources, I do think Dallas' O is fairly well stacked. Yet Garrett continues to get less out of more.

1-14 without Romo is completely inexcusable. Weeden and Cassel were reasonably solid on the grand scale of NFL backups, and this division is garbage. They could not be more clueless when it comes to figuring out how to gameplan with their backup QB. You can't just go into a shell. You've got to take shots.
ce1994
AG
The game I saw yesterday the Cowboys' game plan was hoping Eli Manning would crap the bed and he tried on several occasions to do that. And you are right about Precott. He got little to no help from other players. Toward the end it showed. Although the stats say otherwise it really could have been a good game for Prescott if some of those guys could catch a football. He went downfield a few times and got no help from the beast called Bryant (who is a head case).

The Cowboys are a mediocre team like they have been for years. They have enough to not get the doors blown off and they have a deadly field goal kicker. Other than that the Cowboys are pretty average across the board.

It is called player performance and using your head. The Cowboys have no one that plays above their ceiling.
RedlineAg08
Busy so I can't speak much.

All I'll say is your expectation of Dez to come up with those bombs down the field in double coverage or with a CB draped all over him slapping at his hands just speaks to how good he is. Dez ain't the problem
jtstanley4621
AG
Prescott was pretty good, but he has to be able to throw downfield and deep with better accuracy than he did. If we can't get defenses to respect the deep ball, they're going to absolutely load the box and beg us to beat them over the top.I think we saw that against the Giants.
Ryan34
AG
The Cowboys played to control the clock and limit the Giants' possessions. Very few shots downfield (Prescott was 1-9 on passes beyond 16 yards) so they had to sustain long drives. Run game was bottled up so that made scoring in the red zone quite difficult.

That strategy can work, as evidenced by the fact that they only allowed 20 points despite the defense really not playing well, but they have to be efficient in the red zone. Which means they have to be able to run the ball. Probably should have given Morris more touches. IMO they also need to take some shots down the field and get chunk yards. It's too hard in the NFL to consistently string together 10+ play drives.

Ultimately it just felt like the proverbial "playing not to lose." Yes they played keep away and thus kept the Giants' score down, but they stifled their own offense in the process. It's going to be hard to win many games averaging 3.4 yards/carry and 5.0 yards per pass while completing 55% of the passes.
ce1994
AG
Unless the cornerback is someone like Richard Sherman you would expect Bryant to win most 50-50s. Does he? He might but he sure did not yesterday.

jtstanley4621
AG
quote:
The game I saw yesterday the Cowboys' game plan was hoping Eli Manning would crap the bed and he tried on several occasions to do that. And you are right about Precott. He got little to no help from other players. Toward the end it showed. Although the stats say otherwise it really could have been a good game for Prescott if some of those guys could catch a football. He went downfield a few times and got no help from the beast called Bryant (who is a head case).

The Cowboys are a mediocre team like they have been for years. They have enough to not get the doors blown off and they have a deadly field goal kicker. Other than that the Cowboys are pretty average across the board.

It is called player performance and using your head. The Cowboys have no one that plays above their ceiling.
One thing we could have done with Dez is try to throw comebacks or slants to him. He can beat guys to a ball like that. While Deandre Hopkins from the Texans is a clear stud, I don't think he's much better than Dez. You saw them go to him a lot more than we went to Dez, and I can't think that he saw any less defensive coverage attention than Dez did.

And for the mediocre team comment, I agree. They have pieces on offense, but the defense is pretty much nothing short of terrible. And that isn't getting fixed any time soon. They need pretty much a complete overhaul at defensive end/pass rusher, and they need a much better linebacking corps. Corner is not good either, and safety is.... okay I guess. If I had to pick a "best unit," I would choose them. Byron Jones could be decent. The way Jerry has molded this team is the offense pretty much needs to be perfect on every drive for the team to win, and that is incredibly stupid.
ce1994
AG
Yet yesterday the offense was far from perfect and had a chance at the end to win the game.

When Witten was younger he was capable of turning something into a 15 yard gain. Now he gets dropped as soon as he gets touched. Witten is the safety blanket but today you can only hope for 9 yards TOPS. Witten is done with rumbling down the field. All he is run, turn around in a hole, catch the ball ad get tackled. Hoping he is going to get a first down on 3rd and long is a distant memory.

I like Witten. He is just a little on the old side. It happens to all of us. It has happened to him.
DannyDuberstein
AG
During most of those 14 losses, they've usually had a chance, but they never win. That should tell Garrett something. For starters, I don't think that chance is as good as he thinks it is. Teams are comfortable they can play it cautious, squeeze the life out of Dallas slowly, and take the W when they're ready. The turtle shell offensive gameplan that Garrett brings plays right into their hands.
DannyDuberstein
AG
If you take the handcuffs off, then sure, there are going to be some games where you turn the ball over numerous times and get your doors gloriously blown off. But I also think that at the end of it all, you're going to win more games than you would have with the turtle shell. Looking at this run, it's impossible not to.
98Ag99Grad
AG
quote:
Ultimately it just felt like the proverbial "playing not to lose."
Ag Natural
AG
If this recent stretch without Romo hasn't convinced everyone of Garrett's in-ability to coach then I don't know what to say. Even the worst coaches find a way to squeeze out a couple of wins. He is either the most unlucky coach in history or a major problem. I like Garrett a lot but this looks like Ground Hog Day to me.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.