*** COWBOYS 2016 Season ***

280,420 Views | 3441 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ag Natural
Sea Gull
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
i rewatched a lot of the game last night with Showers in there. (yes, i know...watching a preseason game once is bad enough but twice??)

i think he had a lot better game than what people realize. he had serious protection issues and WRs that dropped balls on him. i'd even go so far as to say that he looked very sharp on a lot of plays.

i reiterate once again....i really really wana see him get reps with the 1s. lets see what he's capable of with that lauded OL, and Dez, Witten, TWill, and Cole to throw to with the Butler and Zeke providing run support. we already know what Romo can do, and we have years to evaluate Dak still. give Showers reps with the 1s and at the very least you can make a better decision on whether to keep 2 vs 3 QBs and what do with Moore.

i really get the feeling Showers would look solid at the very least if given that opportunity and if he does , then you gota go 3 QBs and let Moore go.
I'm ok with letting Moore walk. We've seen what he can do, and it's not great. And if Romo goes down, I wouldn't want any of them stepping into his role right now. For Showers and Prescott, that's ok because they're still young. Moore is 27 and is in his 5th year, without showing much at all. Doesn't have great pocket awareness and his arm is average at best; I think we've seen enough out of him. If Romo were to go down, I still think they'd have to trade or sign someone from FA to be competitive.

For what it's worth, I'd like to see what Showers would do with the first teamers as well...I think it's something to consider more of in practice now that we've all seen how fragile Romo is at this stage...
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
they worked out Demontre Moore yesterday it looks like.

Demontre Works Out for Cowboys

the Cowboys are so thin at DL that if they don't sign him it means he either had a really poor work out and is maybe outa shape or he's got red flags on him so much that they don't think he's worth the trouble (in the context of what his work out showed).

usually these type signings happen within 24 hrs so if it doesn't happen by today i wouldn't hold my breath.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
looks like the Cowboys are indeed going to pass on signing him.
BMX Bandit
So ce1994 told us that Dak isn't ready to be the starter & Cowboys are in trouble if Romo has a season ending injury.

Something no one disputes.

Goldie Wilson
Don't forget that McFadden is better than Zeke
corleoneAg99
AG
Wanted to do a 2QB PPR league so started one...link below. If you join make your texags username your team name until we're full.

I'm hoping we can comprise it totally of Cowboys thread guys because the Texans fans are just, well, you know.

https://yho.com/nfl?l=565912&k=69f1ca5448f725f5&soc_trk=lnk&ikey=08c5a4f655a3ef97
jr15aggie
AG
So apparently Mo is having a really really good camp. Was voted most impressive camper by the staff writers. Sure we've heard similar praises in the past, but it's very encouraging that a defender was #1.

Lawrence is also doing very well. Apparently giving Tyron all he can handle and winning at least 50% of his 1 on 1 against him.

The usual suspects were on the list with oft. injured Sean Lee at #2. Beasley also having another monster camp as usual. But a surprise pick was T-Will. Guy could make a lot of money (probably somewhere else) with a solid year... He's already done enough to get a pretty decent 2nd contact regardless.

Call me a koolaide drinking sunshine pumper, cause I am, but I'm starting to really like this year's team. If nothing else should be fun to watch
corleoneAg99
AG
Who is the starting DL when Lawrence comes back? Lawrence, TCraw, Thornton, Erving?
BassCowboy33
quote:
Hey, Jerry was nominated for the HOF... He can find QBs anywhere!

But yeah, but would be very lucky if Dak works out long term. But on the other hand it's not like we haven't spent many wasted hours on QBs that were never gonna make it. And after seeing Goff the other night it's pretty much proving true that no QB is ever a sure thing.

And let's keep in mind many times it's all about the right guy for the right team. I'll give this team (players and coaches) credit for making Dak look really good in his debut.
To be fair to Goff (and Prescott), it was one-half of a preseason game. More often than not, it takes these guys multiple seasons to develop. Aikman was terrible throughout his rookie year, but seemed to find his stride as time went along. Don't forget the Chargers ran Drew Brees out of town due to his play. So, I'll give the guy the benefit-of-the-doubt for a couple of seasons.
BassCowboy33
quote:
They have experience. They got Staubach in the 10th and White in the 3rd.

Completely different eras that were well before the modern draft era.

Not to mention that Staubach was a 10th Rd pick because he had to serve his time in the Navy, not because people thought he couldn't play. The Navy has relaxed it's policies some, but it would be akin to a Marcus Lattimore situation in modern times. Drafting a guy knowing that he will miss multiple seasons with no guarantee that he'll ever see the field again.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
To be fair to Goff (and Prescott), it was one-half of a preseason game. More often than not, it takes these guys multiple seasons to develop. Aikman was terrible throughout his rookie year, but seemed to find his stride as time went along. Don't forget the Chargers ran Drew Brees out of town due to his play. So, I'll give the guy the benefit-of-the-doubt for a couple of seasons.
Another thing people have been talking about in recent years is QBs leaving school early. They haven't had the time to develop and get ready for the NFL. Goff is a prime example... guy started as a true Freshman, played 3 years, and jumped to the NFL. Prescott red-shirted and then played 4 years... that's 5 years removed from the kid that just graduated high school. It's only been a little over 3 years since Goff graduated and at this very moment 4 years ago he was getting ready to start his senior year in HS.

As a comparison, Luck left as a Junior and has been the only real 1st round slam dunk QB in recent years, but even he had that red-shirt year as a freshman to learn & mature.
PooDoo
AG
Plus Goff was only going to physically develop in the Cal offense. This spread era has made evaluating players even harder... Especially QB's.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
i'm guessing Kellen Moore is officially feeling a bit uneasy about things tonight.
PooDoo
AG
He's probably thrilled to be out & due an injury settlement if he gets cut.
jr15aggie
AG
Post Dolphins

Dak: The back-up QB search is officially over. More importantly we have found the guy to carry the label "heir apparent". Who knows how his career turns out, but name another Rookie QB on any team in recent years that has looked this good. Dak has given the Cowboys no choice but to go all in on him.

And yes, he has a great offense around him, but other than Dez we had 2 seasoned vets with this same team last year and they looked horrible. Dak is throwing deep, looking off safeties, making quick reads when the blitz comes, stepping up in the pocket beautifully, and taking off (and torching the defense) when it all breaks down.

The best part about this is we can focus our money & draft picks the next 2 years on players... players that might help us get over the top while Romo is still playing.

And how clever was Jerry! Tricking the Broncos into giving up too much to get Paxton Lynch while he got the real deal in the 4th round! ;-)
jr15aggie
AG
Post Dolphins Quick Hitters:

Mo: Hasn't looked this good since LSU.

McFadden & Dunbar: Both could very easily get cut. I don't think we carry 4 RBs on this team.

WR: Dez/T-Will/Cole//Butler = Awesome top 4. Lucky = Speed. Andy Jones = solid and making good special teams plays in preseason.

Defense: Not dominant, but they will have swagger and be aggressive. This defense is going to get takeaways (assisted by our offense scoring lots of points).

Wilcox & Green: Coaches giving them every chance to prove they belong... so far their on-field play says, "Please find somebody better!".

Alfred Morris: Welcome to Dallas! Sorry I thought there was no tread left on your tires, my bad!

Zeke: Soon!!!!!

Opposing Defenses: T&P
Sea Gull
AG
I'm not ready to name him the next quarterback just yet. He made 2-3 throws last night that should've been picked off. I do like his athleticness, and he's made the right reads for the most part. But it's been 2 preseason games.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I think McFadden is toast. Makes more $$$ and offers nothing on special teams. 3rd string RB is a guy that you need to make some ST contribution.
Goldie Wilson
I think McFadden is definitely gone. Will be interesting to see what they do with Dunbar and Darius Jackson -- either cut one of them or keep 4 RBs. Dunbar is the better 3rd down back, but I'm guessing Jackson would contribute more on STs.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
its really a decision between McFadden , Dunbar, and Jackson now.

i feel terrible for Dunbar as dude was really starting to make a name for himself before that injury.

i think they can keep 3 RBs, and a FB. Zeke, Butler, (1 of 3 above).

on defense, i'm going to continue to contend as i have all off season that this team may seriously regret not adding another impact defender or 2 in the offseason. i think this team has the makings of potentially being very good but that defense i'm convinced will give up points still. hope i'm wrong.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
but I'm guessing Jackson would contribute more on STs.
Dunbar does return kick offs and did cover kick offs earlier in his career but not sure what his limitations are going to be now.
TyHolden
AG
quote:
I'm not ready to name him the next quarterback just yet. He made 2-3 throws last night that should've been picked off. I do like his athleticness, and he's made the right reads for the most part. But it's been 2 preseason games.
this. It's still early. I remember Michael bishop lighting it up for 4-5 preseason games only to never touch the field ever in season...ever. It's a great surprise but let's hope he doesn't see quarters 1-3 in regular season.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
quote:
this. It's still early. I remember Michael bishop lighting it up for 4-5 preseason games only to never touch the field ever in season...ever. It's a great surprise but let's hope he doesn't see quarters 1-3 in regular season.

I'm not saying he will be the next QB, but he's done enough that they won't get a vet backup and they won't draft anybody next year. So for the next 2 seasons he's the guy...and considering Romo's time is running out its either Dak or we go into full rebuild mode after Romo is gone.
PooDoo
AG
How is Derrick Henry wearing #2?
cman1494
AG
In preseason, players don't have to wear numbers for their position, but must switch before the regular season. IIRC, DeSean Jackson always wears #1 in the preseason for some reason. It must be a nightmare for the marketing staff though, because it makes jersey sales tough, not knowing what number he will wear permanently.
BMX Bandit
Read an article that the same guy that sold #29 to Murray is going to sell #24 to Henry
Ag Natural
AG
All things being equal, you like your backup QB candidates to play well in preseason regardless of the circumstance. Some can carry that success to the regular season and some can't. Russell Wilson is a good example of a recent rookie who killed it in preseason and ended up getting his shot. I also still remember the excitement of Romo. Nobody thought he would even make the team and he starts making all kinds of plays in preseason games in 05 and 06. Parcells eventually gives him and entire game to see what he can do... And that led to Romo getting the backup job. Later that season Romo went in for Bledsoe and the rest is history.
Sea Gull
AG
Well, sure you'd like your back up to play well. I think that goes without saying. I just think it's only been 2 games of pre-season. I'm not ready to anoint Prescott as the answer to Romo in a few years. He does look fantastic, but he still needs work on reading defenses. That was pretty clear after a few plays where he threw right at a Dolphin. Let's give him some time. Same with Showers.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
Well, sure you'd like your back up to play well. I think that goes without saying. I just think it's only been 2 games of pre-season. I'm not ready to anoint Prescott as the answer to Romo in a few years. He does look fantastic, but he still needs work on reading defenses. That was pretty clear after a few plays where he threw right at a Dolphin. Let's give him some time. Same with Showers.
also showed some footwork issues on a couple of plays. almost got tangled up on his own feet one play. he looks great and pretty much as good as you can hope, but definitely need to hold off on the "annointing oil" as Parcells once put it.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Don't get me wrong. I LOVE how he's looked and there may actually be something there. But preseason football is so completely ****ed that it's very difficult to project much. I think he's got the physical tools for the job. It call comes down to whether he can learn to read a defense and make quick, correct decisions.
Sea Gull
AG
quote:
quote:
also showed some footwork issues on a couple of plays. almost got tangled up on his own feet one play. he looks great and pretty much as good as you can hope, but definitely need to hold off on the "annointing oil" as Parcells once put it.
One thing for sure, both Dak and Showers are lights out better than Moore. So Moore should be gone after this pre-season.
Sea Gull
AG
Jeff Sullivan is an idiot.

quote:
  • Have no idea why Romo played two drives in the second preseason game. Garrett is a lot smarter than me, especially when it comes to football, but this just doesn't make sense. He should be right where the majority of established starting quarterbacks were this past week on game day, standing next to the offensive coordinator. I would not play him this week at Seattle. Would play Prescott every single snap.

WTF? A guy who was injured for 90% of the season last year shouldn't get pre-season reps? That's about the stupidest thing I've heard. You've got to get him used to game speed again. I know it's Romo, and he's a vet, but come on. He still needs the reps during a simulated game. Nothing can simulate that game speed except for a game.

I get it, you want to protect Romo during pre-season, but we also don't need him being rusty because he didn't play during the season opener. I would call mostly run plays and quick hitting pass plays to mitigate the risk of Romo getting hurt, but he's got to see the field.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Romo looked like crap when he came back from injury last year. Doesn't need many reps, but certainly more than zero. Probably see him for 3-4 series next week. Then none in the last game
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
if we've learned anything on Romo is that with extended time off, he often looks very very rusty coming back.

to say he doesn't need work right now is to say you are not that familiar with him as a QB.
DannyDuberstein
AG
There are also 64 quarters of football to play this year. If he's so fragile that you're worried about him playing a couple this preseason, then this thing is ****ed anyway.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.