*** COWBOYS 2016 Season ***

280,344 Views | 3441 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ag Natural
Sea Gull
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

Duck Patrol said:

Here's a fun fact. The Ravens are the only team in the NFL that the Cowboys have never beaten. They are 0-4 against them.

Ravens are also 0-4 against teams with winning records this season. Also, if you want to take it further back, Dallas lost to Cleveland in 1994 when Novacek was stopped six inches short of the goal line as time expired. I think the final was 20-16 or something like that. Dallas did beat that team in 1990 or 1991 if my brain remembers correctly.

Edit: The score was 19-14. Here's the video of the final play.

I think they lumped the old Browns' record with the current Browns instead of leaving it with Baltimore. They used to have a monster defense at a time when the Cowboys were trotting out the Hutchinsons and Hensons. Some of those beat downs were brutal. Should be a fairly stressful Sunday, but who knows!
Sea Gull
AG
Why the **** are we at each other's throats? Everyone cool down. The Cowboys are 8-1 and playing tremendous football. After years of extremely frustrating football, let's enjoy the **** out of this while it lasts.
BassCowboy33
Duck Patrol said:

BassCowboy33 said:

Duck Patrol said:

Here's a fun fact. The Ravens are the only team in the NFL that the Cowboys have never beaten. They are 0-4 against them.

Ravens are also 0-4 against teams with winning records this season. Also, if you want to take it further back, Dallas lost to Cleveland in 1994 when Novacek was stopped six inches short of the goal line as time expired. I think the final was 20-16 or something like that. Dallas did beat that team in 1990 or 1991 if my brain remembers correctly.

Edit: The score was 19-14. Here's the video of the final play.

I think they lumped the old Browns' record with the current Browns instead of leaving it with Baltimore. They used to have a monster defense at a time when the Cowboys were trotting out the Hutchinsons and Hensons. Some of those beat downs were brutal. Should be a fairly stressful Sunday, but who knows!

They do. I just refuse to recognize it as such.
PooDoo
AG
Duck Patrol said:

Why the **** are we at each other's throats? Everyone cool down. The Cowboys are 8-1 and playing tremendous football. After years of extremely frustrating football, let's enjoy the **** out of this while it lasts.
corleone is more of a Jerry hater than Cowboy fan. Basically just a Ticket parrot that likes to argue.
PooDoo
AG
corleoneAg99 said:

PooDoo said:

What did I miss in your post professor? I know you can't teach me anything about football but I'd be glad to accept some reading comprehension tips from you.

Which offenses do you think are better than the Steelers at full strength?
1. Patriots
2.?

Somebody is still really mad online.

I would just use google and help yourself out. I'd post some stuff for you but based on your last few mad posts I'm not sure you'd be able to read and comprehend them?
I'm not mad I just don't like you.

I'm around enough women at home and work to put up with a snarky dude trying to talk football.
corleoneAg99
AG
PooDoo said:

corleoneAg99 said:

PooDoo said:

What did I miss in your post professor? I know you can't teach me anything about football but I'd be glad to accept some reading comprehension tips from you.

Which offenses do you think are better than the Steelers at full strength?
1. Patriots
2.?

Somebody is still really mad online.

I would just use google and help yourself out. I'd post some stuff for you but based on your last few mad posts I'm not sure you'd be able to read and comprehend them?
I'm not mad I just don't like you.

I'm around enough women at home and work to put up with a snarky dude trying to talk football.

Not mad at all.
jr15aggie
AG
We are about to find out just how good Romo is after the season and the Cowboys open up trade negotiations.

The short list is gonna be the teams that have absolutely no interest. Over half the league will at least give it some thought and I can easily think of a dozen teams that will seriously consider it.

You can bet the Cowboys want him in the AFC. Denver and NY seem very possible. in the NFC Chicago makes a lot of sense ... But like I said, he makes sense for several teams.
Gigem Trevas
jr15aggie said:

We are about to find out just how good Romo is after the season and the Cowboys open up trade negotiations.

The short list is gonna be the teams that have absolutely no interest. Over half the league will at least give it some thought and I can easily think of a dozen teams that will seriously consider it.

You can bet the Cowboys want him in the AFC. Denver and NY seem very possible. in the NFC Chicago makes a lot of sense ... But like I said, he makes sense for several teams.

Chicago is awful and would have to get rid of cutler and his huge contract.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Actually, I think Chicago is basically free and clear of all guarantees and dead money after 2016. Most of the guaranteed portion of Cutler's deal was in the first 3 years, and there isn't much of a prepaid bonus to finish amortizing after this year. I think his dead money is only $2 or $3 million after this year, if that. By getting rid of him, they'd avoid paying him $2.5 million in roster bonus and around $15 million in base salary, which would be an incredible overpay anway. I'd dump him whether I had another QB ready or not.

That said, they are terrible and Romo would probably just get killed there, so I do think it's a bad spot for him. But I don't think Cutler is a hurdle.
Agnzona
Can you do a sign and trade in the NFL? Could he renegotiate to make his cap hits more spread out for the acquiring cream?
Ag Natural
AG
The Jets should be the team that goes all in on getting Romo for a couple of years. Its going to be tricky if he ends up not playing at all this year. If the Cowboys try to trade him it would almost have to be a conditional pick in return.
corleoneAg99
AG
I just don't see how you can commit to Romo without seeing him survive a game, or even a quarter?, this season right?
I mean I think the general thought is that he can still play IF he can stay on the field and that he appears one hit away from being done again.
So he can go to Chicago, for example, while Kaaya or Watson or Kizer ride the bench perhaps but I can't imagine you invest much in him because of the high probability he gets hurt again.
This is also why he's not a preferred option at backup either because if the starter gets hurt and he's also just one hit away, you pretty much need to carry 3 QB's on the roster.
jr15aggie
AG
corleoneAg99 said:

I just don't see how you can commit to Romo without seeing him survive a game, or even a quarter?, this season right?

It's no different than us before we discovered Dak. We knew the risk, but we were all very happy to have Romo on our team because we saw first hand what an average QB did with this team (it was awful). It was worth the risk because what choice did we have.

This next team will be more than willing to take the same gamble. Sure, it's a lot of money and fingers crossed, but Romo gives hope and sells lots of tickets for any QB needy team.

Picture yourself as a Jets fan / GM for example: Fitzpatrick, Geno Smith, Hackenburg... any of those guys get you excited for next year? Now throw out Fitz & Geno and go into 2017 with Romo as your QB and Hack sitting behind him and learning. Now you tell me that won't get the front office & fan base completely jazzed up.

Yes indeed, Romo will find a good spot and some team will give us at least a decent draft pick for him.
jtstanley4621
AG
The last full season that Romo played (albeit behind a great o-line) he actually had a rushing attack, and he had an incredible season. Any team that has a decent o-line and running game would be inclined to give him a look. If the Broncos can drag the ghost of Peyton Manning to a title, another team could do the same with Romo. In fact, the Broncos would make a lot of sense.
corleoneAg99
AG
I think there is a difference though and that is we've all seen Romo get hurt, again, and on a play that was pretty routine.

Again it's not about his ability to play...it's still good to great when on the field. But he has to stay on the field and he hasn't been able to for two seasons now.

I'm sure there will be plenty of teams interested but I think his injury questions mean it will be tough to get anything of real value in return. We'll see.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, if they work a trade, I think any picks they get in return would be highly conditional. Hard to convince a team to automatically fork over much consideration for a guy that will most likely not have played in 2 years and got knocked out of 3 of the last 4 games he did play. But I could see them getting some pretty solid pick(s) with certain performance/endurance strings attached.
jr15aggie
AG
According to Broaddus, when he reached out to his sources he was surprised that the Broncos and Texans are the two teams that are the most interested. Take that for what it is because it's not like formal trade talks are happening yet, but people talk.

He said the Jets & Chicago were sorta "meh" at the moment. Denver isn't hard to imaging because Peyton, but Houston was a bit of a surprise considering what they just paid for Osweiler (just looked it up, he's 31 in QB rating, LOL). The point that was made is that Houston's window with their defense won't stay open forever and Romo could be worth it if he can't get them over the top.
jr15aggie
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Yeah, if they work a trade, I think any picks they get in return would be highly conditional. Hard to convince a team to automatically fork over much consideration for a guy that will most likely not have played in 2 years and got knocked out of 3 of the last 4 games he did play. But I could see them getting some pretty solid pick(s) with certain performance/endurance strings attached.

Vikings gave 1st rounder for Bradford... a guy that is a far inferior QB to Romo and somebody that is just as injury prone.

I know what you are saying, but the precedent is there. QB is the one spot that can literally hold a team hostage for years (ask Houston). A GM that needs to win and win now will make the deal. Gotta roll the dice sometimes!
jtstanley4621
AG
It would be pure, sweet irony if the Texans traded for Romo and all my friends who hate the cowboys and swore up and down Romo was a choker would have to root for him. Maybe then they would realize that Romo is a well above average QB, and better than any QB the Texans have ever had at least since being the Texans.
Rudyjax
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

It would be pure, sweet irony if the Texans traded for Romo and all my friends who hate the cowboys and swore up and down Romo was a choker would have to root for him. Maybe then they would realize that Romo is a well above average QB, and better than any QB the Texans have ever had at least since being the Texans.
Texans would have a Super Bowl if Romo were their QB.
jtstanley4621
AG
Unthought Known said:

jtstanley4621 said:

Texans would have a Super Bowl if Romo were their QB.
Most likely. And I think deep down, their fans know that they would. Even now, their defense is still pretty good, and they have a lot of talent at skill positions on offense. But Osweilor just is not good enough to capitalize on everything around him. I would have to think Romo would make that offense a hell of a lot better.
Ag Natural
AG
I was thinking Texans would be the absolute slam dunk for Romo. However, I never thought they'd do it considering the investment in Brock. Maybe they are smarter than I thought. How funny would that be for Brock to deal with Payton's swan song and then Romo.

Honestly, it wouldn't even surprise me to see the Cowboys keep Romo around as a backup for one more year. The financials aren't favorable in any scenario really. I think the best is to cut him after June 1st... and even then it just spreads the cap hit. So unless some team really does offer up a valuable pick there is no reason for the Cowboys to get rid of him other than doing a favor for the man. He definitely can't go to a NFC team IMO.
BMX Bandit
The Texans Line play is horrible. Romo would not have made it through four games if he were on the Texans this year.
ce1994
AG
Are NFL trades like NBA trades where the trade has to be financially comparable? I do not know. If not then why can't the Cowboys tell someone they will sit on him until his hair falls out. If a team wants him trade us your backup punter or some crap like that.

I can think of a few teams that would be dang dangerous with Tony Romo.
Rudyjax
AG
BMX Bandit said:

The Texans Line play is horrible. Romo would not have made it through four games if he were on the Texans this year.
A good QB fixes a lot of o line issues.
jr15aggie
AG
Unthought Known said:

BMX Bandit said:

That was being talked about just today. The Cowboys writers remember talking to Marcus Spears a few weeks after Romo took over the team (from Bledsoe) and asked, "how can you explain the defense playing so much better recently". Marcus pointed to Romo and said, "because of him!".

A good QB fixes everything!
Ag Natural
AG
jr15aggie said:

Unthought Known said:

BMX Bandit said:

That was being talked about just today. The Cowboys writers remember talking to Marcus Spears a few weeks after Romo took over the team (from Bledsoe) and asked, "how can you explain the defense playing so much better recently". Marcus pointed to Romo and said, "because of him!".

A good QB fixes everything!
It's illogical in many ways but it's absolutely true for a few reasons:

1. Good Offense keeps the defense off the field
2. Good offense scores points and forces the opposing offense to be more aggressive (i.e. take more chances). If your offense is REALLY good it can lead to forcing the opposing offense to be one dimensional.
3. A great QB gives the whole team confidence. Defense requires a lot of effort and its hard to keep playing hard when the offense stinks. Conversely, when you know your boys will score you know you have a shot to win and the effort is easy.
jr15aggie
AG
It's exactly what Dak & Zeke have done for this team. They make everybody better and everybody makes them better. Same thing happened to Seattle when Wilson took over... they all of a sudden became this really good team and in short time became champions. They already had good players, but once they became a team they became dangerous.

Romo is getting beat out by somebody doing exactly what he did to Bledsoe (only difference is Tony didn't suck, he just got hurt).
Ag Natural
AG
Yep, it's even more similar to Brady taking over for Bledsoe. Eerily similar.

Long time cornerstone QB gets hurt and loses his job to a young QB who nobody expected to be anything special. Brady and Dak also both had long college careers filled with success but were under appreciated by NFL scouts.
Reginald Cousins
S
Ag Natural said:

Long time cornerstone QB gets hurt and loses his job to a young QB who nobody expected to be anything special. Brady and Dak also both had long college careers filled with success but were under appreciated by NFL scouts.

Um. Didn't Brady sit the bench behind one of our flops at QB in college? He wasn't just a baller like Dak.
BMX Bandit
Unthought Known said:

BMX Bandit said:

I agree, but not the issues this Texans team has.
corleoneAg99
AG
And not a QB one hit away from being done for good. If Romo has any say he'll want to go somewhere he won't take as many hits.
Ag Natural
AG
Reginald Cousins said:

Ag Natural said:

Um. Didn't Brady sit the bench behind one of our flops at QB in college? He wasn't just a baller like Dak.

Brady sat behind Griese for two years and won a MNC in one. Then he battled Henson for the job and ended up starting 25 games. Went 20-5 and won two bowl games. That's a better winning percentage than Dak albeit probably on better teams.
Rudyjax
AG
Damn you getting facts in the way of a good narrative.
Rudyjax
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.