*** COWBOYS 2016 Season ***

280,383 Views | 3441 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ag Natural
jeffdjohnson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I don't think Dak is using magic. I think he is just good. I think he is better than Romo in the short to intermediate passing game. They can roll Dak out on bootleg and play action passes that are more effective with a mobile quarterback. They can use Dak on the zone read (plays that have been good for multiple touchdowns this year). This makes then extremely difficult to defend in the red zone.

Romo should be more accurate throwing 20+ yards down field, but that isn't a necessary part of the offense. Cowboys have been at the top of offensive DVOA all year without utilizing the deep passing game much. They are efficient by owning the line of scrimmage and owning the short to intermediate passing range. I think Dak runs it better than Romo would due to his mobility.
ac04
this season dak has come back down 14 to san fran and down 10 to philly in the 4th quarter. he led two touchdown drives (including the game-winning drive) in the 4th quarter while down to washington. he was also down and took the lead against pittsburgh twice in the last 2 minutes.
bonfarr
AG
Unthought Known said:

Cowboys offense will have success as long as they don't get pass happy.

Or get stupid and try to force the ball to Whitehead on some dumb reverse or screen.
bonfarr
AG
A coworker told me Nelson has a lacerated spleen, any truth to that?
MooreTrucker
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

I just hope that Dez can play within himself and keep his head in the game. I worry a little bit about the issue from 2 years ago getting him overly wound up where he expends all his energy early in the game and then disappears.
I'm just glad that we get them at home. I think that if this were in Green Bay we would for sure lose. There's just something about the way they play there. Hopefully we can knock Rodgers off his game some.
Week 6, in Green Bay - Dallas 30, GB 16.
jtstanley4621
AG
MooreTrucker said:

jtstanley4621 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

I just hope that Dez can play within himself and keep his head in the game. I worry a little bit about the issue from 2 years ago getting him overly wound up where he expends all his energy early in the game and then disappears.
I'm just glad that we get them at home. I think that if this were in Green Bay we would for sure lose. There's just something about the way they play there. Hopefully we can knock Rodgers off his game some.
Haha well yes, but that was before this absurd streak they and Rodgers have gone on. My point was they generally play well there, or at least Rodgers does.
PooDoo
AG
This isn't the same Packers offense or defense that we faced.

I'd just like to throw this out there... Elliott would be more productive with Romo. Romo's passing threat is far greater than Dak's running threat.

1st offensive play with Dak Sunday should be a hard PA to Elliott and a deep ball to Dez or Williams
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
bonfarr said:

Broken ribs, collapsed lung, lacerated spleen are all being looked at supposedly. Im sure they know but just not public yet.
MooreTrucker
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

MooreTrucker said:

jtstanley4621 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

Haha well yes, but that was before this absurd streak they and Rodgers have gone on. My point was they generally play well there, or at least Rodgers does.
Agreed, especially in the playoffs.
MooreTrucker
AG
PooDoo said:

I'd just like to throw this out there... Elliott would be more productive with Romo. Romo's passing threat is far greater than Dak's running threat.

1st offensive play with Dak Sunday should be a hard PA to Elliott and a deep ball to Dez or Williams
Not the same Cowboys offense or defense either.

I would LOVE for that to be the first play. I want the Cowboys to hit hard and fast and keep the Pack on their heels from the get-go.
Ag12thman
AG
Not even close to the same Packer squad that was an easy win earlier in the season. They got a ton of defenders back (who were injured the first go-around) and Rodgers is clearly on fire for the past 7 games. Won't be nearly as easy of a win.
jtstanley4621
AG
I just looked it up and Rodgers has not thrown an INT since 11/13. Insanity. Started no picks 11/20 and has not thrown one since that game.
Ag12thman
AG
If there's a JFF of the NFL, it's definitely him. He's crazy good right now.
Gigem Trevas
This thread is going to be a **** storm until the day after the game debating unfollowing.
Ag12thman
AG
PooDoo said:

Agree with the first two points, for sure. Not sure I agree with your third one. I get what you are saying, though. I personally think with Dak in, you have to go heavy run and have success running or it's gonna be a long game. Just my opinion.
MooreTrucker
AG
Ag12thman said:

Not even close to the same Packer squad that was an easy win earlier in the season. They got a ton of defenders back (who were injured the first go-around) and Rodgers is clearly on fire for the past 7 games. Won't be nearly as easy of a win.
GB only had a safety and a CB out that week - Banjo and Shields

Dallas also had a couple of guys out or limited - Scandrick, Irving, Claiborne

Cobb being back is the main worry for me, but losing Nelson (if indeed he can't play) negates that quite a bit. They still don't have much of a running game, and when they do they don't know how to use it - see yesterday's game where CMike was running well and then they stopped running him in favor of trying to get the ball to Montgomery. Also the limited (compared to how much they could and should have used him) use of Ripkowski.
Ag12thman
AG
Good points. I think it's gonna be a close game.
jr15aggie
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

bonfarr said:

Broken ribs, collapsed lung, lacerated spleen are all being looked at supposedly. Im sure they know but just not public yet.

corleoneAg99
AG
PooDoo said:

More productive how? Like in terms of total yardage or in the passing game?

I'm just looking at Zeke's numbers and it's pretty hard to see where he could have done substantially more?

IMO he's probably effective whether it's Dak or Romo...where Dak has the advantage is he won't die after one hit and the defense has more options to be prepared for when he's in the game.

Romo in a vacuum is a better passer for sure but we haven't seen him against a pass rush, take a hit, or play in a game that matters in...a while?

This 11th hour turn towards Romo is pretty interesting to me. It's almost like certain dudes on here, either doing a bit or just on accident, are trying to impersonate Jerry's inner struggle on this thread.
Macarthur
MooreTrucker said:

Ag12thman said:

GB only had a safety and a CB out that week - Banjo and Shields

Dallas also had a couple of guys out or limited - Scandrick, Irving, Claiborne

Cobb being back is the main worry for me, but losing Nelson (if indeed he can't play) negates that quite a bit. They still don't have much of a running game, and when they do they don't know how to use it - see yesterday's game where CMike was running well and then they stopped running him in favor of trying to get the ball to Montgomery. Also the limited (compared to how much they could and should have used him) use of Ripkowski.
Dez was also out that game.

If you are just comparing inactives for that game, adv Cowboys.
Reginald Cousins
S
corleoneAg99 said:

PooDoo said:

More productive how? Like in terms of total yardage or in the passing game?

I'm just looking at Zeke's numbers and it's pretty hard to see where he could have done substantially more?

IMO he's probably effective whether it's Dak or Romo...where Dak has the advantage is he won't die after one hit and the defense has more options to be prepared for when he's in the game.

Romo in a vacuum is a better passer for sure but we haven't seen him against a pass rush, take a hit, or play in a game that matters in...a while?

This 11th hour turn towards Romo is pretty interesting to me. It's almost like certain dudes on here, either doing a bit or just on accident, are trying to impersonate Jerry's inner struggle on this thread.

Longer runs. Holding safeties back and making linebackers freeze. Do you watch football? JK. But an extra 1/2 yard per carry is easy to see with Romo in.

I've been on Romo side. Hard to be vocal going 13-3. At the end of the day I just have a desire to win. If that makes me Jerry I'll take that charge. It's purely my opinion of our best chance to do so.
corleoneAg99
AG
Don't watch too much football, really...but again just surprised you think Zeke would have substantially more yards.

And given the teams the Cowboys played the safety help thing doesn't really compute to me unless we're talking the better defenses like MIN and NYG.

Anyway, like I said, I'm a Romo fan...I just think it's an interesting conversation to be having now given how much people have been crowing(rightfully so) about how great Dak and Zeke are.
Goldie Wilson
Quote:

I've been on Romo side. Hard to be vocal going 13-3.
That's pretty much where I'm at, and I've been a huge Romo homer for the past however many seasons. This team with Dak at QB got the #1 seed, so why change things now. Everything with Romo is just hypotheticals.
MooreTrucker
AG
It's really a conversation that's been going on for the past 4-5 weeks since Romo was pronounced ready to play. And he continues to sit on the bench, and the Cowboys continue to win. And it will continue until the Cowboys win it all, or until they falter and the Romo-mouthpieces come back to say "I told you so".
Reginald Cousins
S
MooreTrucker said:

It's really a conversation that's been going on for the past 4-5 weeks since Romo was pronounced ready to play. And he continues to sit on the bench, and the Cowboys continue to win. And it will continue until the Cowboys win it all, or until they falter and the Romo-mouthpieces come back to say "I told you so".

You're damn right I will.
Reginald Cousins
S
Dan 07 said:

Quote:

I've been on Romo side. Hard to be vocal going 13-3.
That's pretty much where I'm at, and I've been a huge Romo homer for the past however many seasons. This team with Dak at QB got the #1 seed, so why change things now. Everything with Romo is just hypotheticals.

Again. I'm not saying change anything. I'm saying his leash needs to be short in the playoffs if you want to win it all.
Rudyjax
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Nope. I won't say I told you so. I'm calling Dak a choker. He has Miss St ranked what? And he choked. So unless he wins the SB, he's a choker who can't win the big one.
corleoneAg99
AG
MooreTrucker said:

That Romo should be playing over Dak when the playoffs start or just overall?

I guess I had not sense that either way so my bad. My thought was it was pretty clear, unless the Cowboys are getting absolutely trounced, it's Dak for the next decade.
jtstanley4621
AG
I forget who it was that said this but I heard someone on the radio make an interesting point about pulling Dak. Lets say that we look up in the second quarter and we're down 21. If you panic and pull Dak for Romo, and he doesn't overcome that deficit, you lose. Do you still try and trade Romo this offseason? Because if so, you will begin the season next year with Dak with hardly any postseason experience. I guess the point was if you put in Romo you better win that game or it all blows up in your face big time.
Reginald Cousins
S
jtstanley4621 said:

I forget who it was that said this but I heard someone on the radio make an interesting point about pulling Dak. Lets say that we look up in the second quarter and we're down 21. If you panic and pull Dak for Romo, and he doesn't overcome that deficit, you lose. Do you still try and trade Romo this offseason? Because if so, you will begin the season next year with Dak with hardly any postseason experience. I guess the point was if you put in Romo you better win that game or it all blows up in your face big time.

If we're down 21 in the second I'm stripping naked and jumping off the tallest object I can find locally.
MooreTrucker
AG
Unthought Known said:

MooreTrucker said:

Nope. I won't say I told you so. I'm calling Dak a choker. He has Miss St ranked what? And he choked. So unless he wins the SB, he's a choker who can't win the big one.
Which is the label that Romo has carried his entire career....
MooreTrucker
AG
Reginald Cousins said:

jtstanley4621 said:

If we're down 21 in the second I'm stripping naked and jumping off the tallest object I can find locally.
Do NOT rule #1 that!!!
Rudyjax
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Unthought Known said:

MooreTrucker said:

Which is the label that Romo has carried his entire career....

PoInt missed.
MooreTrucker
AG
I don't think so. You're saying Dak choked in college, so if he doesn't win the SB, he'll be labelled a choker in the NFL, too, right?
corleoneAg99
AG
I think it's snark because that's how people have evaluated Romo.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.