*** COWBOYS 2016 Season ***

280,280 Views | 3441 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ag Natural
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

This is why I'm thinking that things in theory could set up perfectly for a stupid Giants super bowl run. Their defense somehow shuts down Rodgers despite how hot he is, it sets up a bird showdown against us, they somehow manage to beat most statistics in the NFL and win a third time, then they're way too hot and sprint to the super bowl against the Patriots
i have watched a lot of Giants games this year. yes, they have beaten Dallas 2 times but i really don't see them as being that great a team. i understand sometimes teams can just win without looking great and maybe they are that but on the surface i think the Pack, Cowboys, and Falcons can and should knock them out if given the chance.
Little Rock Ag
AG
If the Cowboys get the Giants a third time, then I am calling for the Cowboys win this time at home.

In fact, I think they will meet in the NFC Championship game. Here's the full playoff run for the Boys:

Cowboys over Lions 35-24
Cowboys over Giants 21-17

Patriots over Cowboys, 31-20 in Super Bowl
Mozart Paintings
AG
Little Rock Ag said:

If the Cowboys get the Giants a third time, then I am calling for the Cowboys win this time at home.

In fact, I think they will meet in the NFC Championship game. Here's the full playoff run for the Boys:

Cowboys over Lions 35-24
Cowboys over Giants 21-17

Patriots over Cowboys, 31-20 in Super Bowl

So lions beat Seahawks?
Ag Natural
AG
I agree that Atlanta and GB are the two biggest threats in the NFC. I understand the fan fear of NYG but I just don't have that at all. Dallas had a poor gameplan in game two against the G-men and they won't make that mistake again. I take the Cowboys with relative ease in that one.

ATL and GB, however, have the makings of being a major shootout. Those are always scary because it comes down to turnovers and penalties.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Randy Gregory to have his appeal heard before the Cowboys play again in 2 weeks. Im guessing we've seen the last of him for this season since appeals are rarely won.
mhayden
jtstanley4621 said:

This is why I'm thinking that things in theory could set up perfectly for a stupid Giants super bowl run. Their defense somehow shuts down Rodgers despite how hot he is, it sets up a bird showdown against us, they somehow manage to beat most statistics in the NFL and win a third time, then they're way too hot and sprint to the super bowl against the Patriots

That's literally the opposite of setting up perfectly.
jtstanley4621
AG
free_mhayden said:

jtstanley4621 said:

That's literally the opposite of setting up perfectly.

Haha well to be fair I didn't say perfectly for us. I despise the Giants as much as anyone.
mhayden
I'm talking the Giants too. You described a scenario where the Giants defy the odds multiple times to make it to the Super Bowl... That's hardly a perfect setup.

For a perfect setup, look at the slew of backup QBs the Patriots will face.
jr15aggie
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Randy Gregory to have his appeal heard before the Cowboys play again in 2 weeks. Im guessing we've seen the last of him for this season since appeals are rarely won.

Whatever... Right now Irving is playing out of his friggin mind. Our pass rush has been very effective and at times disruptive the last few weeks.

If we can keep it up going into the playoffs we are going to be very very hard to beat.
Confucius
jr15aggie said:

Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Whatever... Right now Irving is playing out of his friggin mind. Our pass rush has been very effective and at times disruptive the last few weeks.

If we can keep it up going into the playoffs we are going to be very very hard to beat.

Agree on Irving. I haven't been impressed with the defense on plays where Gregory was supposed to have run protection, and his pass rushing hasn't been remarkable either. I'll roll the dice with the line rotation we had prior to Gregory's return.
jtstanley4621
AG
free_mhayden said:

I'm talking the Giants too. You described a scenario where the Giants defy the odds multiple times to make it to the Super Bowl... That's hardly a perfect setup.

For a perfect setup, look at the slew of backup QBs the Patriots will face.

True. My point was, essentially, watch the hell out if they get past Green Bay. Luck always seems to be on the side of Eli Manning. I agree though, Pats will stroll to the super bowl. The AFC is a cakewalk
DannyDuberstein
AG
Gregory plays pretty small. Maybe it's the beanpole frame. Showed some quickness flashes last preseason, but he really seems to get pushed around out there.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
He definitely needs to add some weight and frame.

I do think while not a huge loss hes probably better than say the 8th DL on the current roster.
Reginald Cousins
S
But he did run down sproles from behind.
jr15aggie
AG
Reginald Cousins said:

I haven't done a Gregory scouting report or anything, but I did notice the guy on several occasions chasing down the play from a long way across the field. Guy played hard.

There was one play that I did rewind specifically to watch him... he noticed a play breaking to the outside and while most guys were chasing it down horizontally, he took off at the perfect angle and kept a nice gain from turning into a big play.

If only he'd show the same instincts and determination saying NO TO DRUGS!
PooDoo
AG
Off season hypothetical...

Would anyone be tempted if the Browns offered the #1 for Dak? Take Garrett or trade down for multiple picks.
MooreTrucker
AG
PooDoo said:

Would anyone be tempted if the Browns offered the #1 for Dak? Take Garrett or trade down for multiple picks.

Oh hell no. As fun as it would be to see Myles wear the Star, Dak is worth infinitely more than that. DAL canNOT go back to Romo with Sanchez as a backup.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
3 1s & 3 2s and we can have a conversation
Macarthur
DannyDuberstein said:

Gregory plays pretty small. Maybe it's the beanpole frame. Showed some quickness flashes last preseason, but he really seems to get pushed around out there.
Yeah, he has some trouble holding up on running downs, but I think the guy had huge potential as a pass rusher.
Goldie Wilson
PooDoo said:

That level of qb play for $500k per year? It'll take way more than that.
Macarthur
jr15aggie said:

Reginald Cousins said:

I haven't done a Gregory scouting report or anything, but I did notice the guy on several occasions chasing down the play from a long way across the field. Guy played hard.

There was one play that I did rewind specifically to watch him... he noticed a play breaking to the outside and while most guys were chasing it down horizontally, he took off at the perfect angle and kept a nice gain from turning into a big play.

I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses because it's the rules, but the NFL needs to do something about pot and quickly. It's an incredibly hypocritical stance to do what they've done to guys over pot and yet no one seems to bat an eye that a significant portion of these guy, if the truth be told, are flat out addicted to narcotics that are prescribed by team doctors.
BMX Bandit
Macarthur said:

jr15aggie said:

Reginald Cousins said:

I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses because it's the rules, but the NFL needs to do something about pot and quickly. It's an incredibly hypocritical stance to do what they've done to guys over pot and yet no one seems to bat an eye that a significant portion of these guy, if the truth be told, are flat out addicted to narcotics that are prescribed by team doctors.

I have no problem with people smoking weed and understand why an NFL player would want to.

But it's not hypocritical for the NFL to have a policy against federally illegal substances versus those prescribed by a doctor.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I too think they need to drop pot from the test. With as many pain-killer opiate addicts that this league generates, I think pot needs to be a "see no evil, speak no evil" item. MLB and NHL do not test for it.
corleoneAg99
AG
On Gregory you see the natural talent but worth a second round pick?

They just don't value those picks as highly as most.

And given their success in UFA you have to think they figure they can get over it if those gambles don't hit.

Mo, DLaw, Gregory, Escobar, and even Smith although it's still early....those are trade ups and or "gambles" that largely haven't panned at all or have severely underwhelmed. Mo was good this year before he got hurt but dude was a top 5ish pick.

Again it speaks as much to how little they value/poorly they evaluate 2nd and 3rd round picks as it does to how well they've hit on late rounders and UFA's.
DannyDuberstein
AG
For the pothead risk that he presented, I sure don't see the physical value side yet.
Ag Natural
AG
A lot of teams try to gamble for "value" in the second and third rounds. You start the draft with 50 or so guys rated as potential first rounders. So anyone who slides usually for character or injury issues becomes a 2nd rounder. Even Malik Collins drafted this year was a 3rd rounder because of some character questions. The Pats do this all the time as well. Sometimes it hits big, like when they got Gronk. Sometimes its so-so like Cincy getting Burfect (he's a great talent but a basketcase). And often times you flame out like many of the Cowboys picks over the years.

Granted, there have been some 2nd rounders that were okay.. TWill and Bruce Carter come to mind. But I can see why fans are disappointed when it seems like you can find a TWill or Bruce Carter basically off the street.
corleoneAg99
AG
Yeah we could have a semantics debate around "a lot of teams..." but in general I agree that rounds 2 and 3 is where you see first round graded guys get picked who were docked for injury or off field red flags but I've never thought of the Cowboys as a team who could afford to double down on those picks year after year because they really haven't hit on any of them.

And yet they have an here they are and a key reason is because of there UFA/late round/rando trades...it's not because they are known as a great team builder outside of the first round, really.

MooreTrucker
AG
You also have Romo as a UFA, Dak at 4th and Brady at 6th, so sometimes you just flat get lucky.
RedlineAg08
Sean Lee was a 2nd round gamble. Freak tackling machine in college that tore his ACL in both knees his last 2 years in college.
ac04
gregory has talent and athleticism for days, unfortunately he's also very raw and hasn't played any football for almost a year. he should be 16 games into his development instead of 2.

if he could drop the weed he'd absolutely be worth a 2nd imo. that doesn't look likely.
corleoneAg99
AG
RedlineAg08 said:

Sean Lee was a 2nd round gamble. Freak tackling machine in college that tore his ACL in both knees his last 2 years in college.

Yep...some of them have panned and in Lees case when he's been on the field.
bonfarr
AG
ac04 said:

gregory has talent and athleticism for days, unfortunately he's also very raw and hasn't played any football for almost a year. he should be 16 games into his development instead of 2.

if he could drop the weed he'd absolutely be worth a 2nd imo. that doesn't look likely.

He is a manic depressive that self medicates with marijuana, even if he kicks the weed habit he will have issues?
Reginald Cousins
S
birdman
The Cowboys have been very good in 2nd and 3rd round lately.

2010 Sean Lee
2011 Bruce Carter, DeMarco Murray
2012 Tyrone Crawford
2013 Gavin Escobar, Terrence Williams
2014 DeMarcus Lawrence
2015 Randy Gregory, Chaz Green
2016 Jaylon Smith, Malik Collins

Most teams would be happy with that from 2nd and 3rd round picks.

PooDoo
AG
Is it just me or did Cleary look pretty good filling in for Smith?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.