*** COWBOYS 2016 Season ***

280,342 Views | 3441 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ag Natural
jtstanley4621
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
True. Also doesn't help that the organization seems unwilling to try and fix the defensive side of the ball. We're pretty much terrified of turning the ball over because the defense will be exposed. I think you see that a lot when our backup QBs play. No real aggressiveness at all.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
If this recent stretch without Romo hasn't convinced everyone of Garrett's in-ability to coach then I don't know what to say. Even the worst coaches find a way to squeeze out a couple of wins. He is either the most unlucky coach in history or a major problem. I like Garrett a lot but this looks like Ground Hog Day to me.

He ****ing sucks. The numbers dont lie year after year.

That said the organization's moves or lack thereof certainly dont lend to him overcoming his own shi***ness.
RedlineAg08
I'm fine with the offensive game plan yesterday. Run the ball, and give Dak easy throws.

If they went out there and tried to blow the doors off then Dak would have been murdered by JPP and thrown a few picks trying to force something. Keep that approach thru a season and we may win a few, but it doesn't help the progression of Dak Prescott. The dudes a rookie with more offensive talent working with him than any rookie in the history of the game. Let them run the ball down their throats and get the ball to your playmakers and have them go make plays. Terrence Williams is a good #2 who can take a short route and turn it into 20+ yards. Beasley needs to hold onto the ball, but he helps out a lot. Witten is Witten, and Dez is the playmaker.The OLine is great, especially run blocking where Doug Free is much better, and you have the second coming at RB. My only complaint is that they need to work Dez in more. Your only throws to him shouldn't ONLY be fly route 50/50 balls. Let the dude get in a rythmn and mix up his routes.

We're overblowing offenses struggles in week 1. Hankins and Snacks are immovable objects and caused a lot of the running troubles. And EE needs to settle down.
ramblin_ag02
AG
quote:
The OLine is great, especially run blocking where Doug Free is much better, and you have the second coming at RB.

We're overblowing offenses struggles in week 1. Hankins and Snacks are immovable objects and caused a lot of the running troubles. And EE needs to settle down.

Which one is it? Do we have a great OL, or do the Giants have a great D-line? You can't say our OL is great and then say 2 guys can shut them down in the run game.

Same thing with Zeke. Morris played much better behind the same line against the same Giants. Zeke might get better, but nothing about his performance yesterday was impressive.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
quote:
The OLine is great, especially run blocking where Doug Free is much better, and you have the second coming at RB.

Which one is it? Do we have a great OL, or do the Giants have a great D-line? You can't say our OL is great and then say 2 guys can shut them down in the run game.

Same thing with Zeke. Morris played much better behind the same line against the same Giants. Zeke might get better, but nothing about his performance yesterday was impressive.

Had everything to do with the play calling. The Giants loaded the box consistently... and even when they didn't their LBers and Safeties were crashing down hard. They were daring us to beat them throwing the ball and our coaches didn't adjust.

We had a couple play actions / roll-out passes that worked well for us. We just didn't make them pay consistently enough.

I don't think it had much of anything to do with Zeke or Morris. Morris had a couple of runs where he actually had a lane and it worked well. The one time Zeke had a hole he scored a TD (and yes, I think Morris would have scored on that play too).
RedlineAg08
You can have both.. Doesn't matter how good the interior OLine is. When those 2 350lb men anchor down, the line doesn't move. Pair that with JPP who played great and a loaded box and there arent huge holes to run thru.

EE showed no patience or vision, and also needs to realize this ain't college and he ain't outrunning everyone when he bounces it outside. Morris ran much better and should have had more carries at the end of the game. Can't believe they went back to EE.

I was the biggest critic of the EE draft pick. But the amount of pressure on that guy to take every single run to the house is unreal.. Every single time he cut back, or had even a look at daylight the crowd all gasped and grabbed each other.. It was ridiculous. Every time my whole section would scream "there he goes!!" And he'd get tackled for a 1 yard gain.

corleoneAg99
AG
On the OL versus DL discussion, one thing Garrett was not going to let Dak do was audible out of the run play like we know Romo LOVES to do or play the game of calling two plays in the huddle, have the OL run block, and then Romo throws out to the WR to throw off the defense.

Garrett just isn't going to let Dak do that and he probably doesn't have the whole playbook down either.

So when the Cowboys wanted to run it was very obvious and the Giants two speedbumps did their jobs. In better world, either with Romo or an improved Dak, you get out of those plays at the LOS and check to something that is a better bet.

Or, gasp, run play action...which Garrett hates to do.
ramblin_ag02
AG
quote:
You can have both.. Doesn't matter how good the interior OLine is. When those 2 350lb men anchor down, the line doesn't move. Pair that with JPP who played great and a loaded box and there arent huge holes to run thru.
I just don't remember the mid 90's Cowboys with Emmitt and that unquestionably great OL getting shut down by a couple heavy interior OL. I'll buy the point about the LB and S playing run-first all day, but I can't buy a "great" OL getting shut down by 2 guys.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ramblin_ag02
AG
quote:
One other thing they didn't do much was put dez in the slot, use motion to get him freed up a bit. Pretty much the whole time he was out wide.
Completely agree. Saw a good write up that the Giants Defense focused entirely on stopping the run and doubling Dez. They succeeded in both, and we had nothing. They intentionally left the short to mid-range stuff more open, and we couldn't make them pay. None of our other receivers could get open deep or break a tackle in the middle of the field despite 1 on 1 coverage. Would have been nice to see Dez or even a RB get the ball in the middle instead of Beasley or Witten. They could actually break some tackles and maybe make something happen.
DannyDuberstein
AG
quote:
If they went out there and tried to blow the doors off then Dak would have been murdered by JPP and thrown a few picks trying to force something. Keep that approach thru a season and we may win a few, but it doesn't help the progression of Dak Prescott.

They don't have to try to blow the doors off. But mixing in a few deep balls off of play-action could actually lighten the load on Dak because it might get CB's and safeties to back off of the underneath stuff a little. Keep it simple - run the play and if it isn't there, overthrow it or chunk it well into the sideline. It's not asking a lot of have Dak run a play he's been running since HS. You also spent a top 5 pick on a RB that happens to be great pass blocker. Let him help chip JPP.

This team has been one of the worst in the league in 30+ pass plays because they don't even try to do it.
Agnzona
Just heard on the radio a good point. Why is the stadium oriented the way it is? They could have faced it in direction where the sun is not a factor.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I think Jerry wanted to have the Rangers ballpark in view out of one end of the stadium, which it is aligned out of the east (non-sun end).

Also, I think their plans were that an office/hotel would eventually be part of the development at the west end and would be used to eventually block the sun. I don't know if that holds water at all (probably not), but I've heard it used as an excuse. There is at least some space there for that potential.

Here's a parking map where you can see how the east end of AT&T pointed at the Rangers ballpark in green. You can also see that there would easily be room for a hotel or office building at the corner of North Collins and Legends Way at the west end of the stadium.

ramblin_ag02
AG
quote:
Just heard on the radio a good point. Why is the stadium oriented the way it is? They could have faced it in direction where the sun is not a factor.
Heard an interview with the architect on some sports radio show. He said it was supposed to point to the Ballpark. He was really condescending when they asked about the sun interfering with football games. Then again, they can build a retractable roof but not a retractable sun shade? Doesn't exactly seem like an engineering enigma
corleoneAg99
AG
They thought other buildings would develop around it and that hasn't happened.

It was poorly planned in lieu of what looks cool.

Which is shocking considering Jerrys at the helm.
DannyDuberstein
AG
They have curtains, but stubbornly don't use them. To me, some sort of transparent shade that you can see through but cuts down further on the level of sun allowed through seems to be the most reasonable compromise. Basically a stronger pair of sunglasses than what is there now. Jerry could preserve his view of beautiful Collins road, it wouldn't look much different from the outside, etc.
RedlineAg08
Are saying EE is Emmitt Smith in his first game? Come on dude... I've stated many times that Alfed Morris did much better.
jtstanley4621
AG
quote:
quote:
I just don't remember the mid 90's Cowboys with Emmitt and that unquestionably great OL getting shut down by a couple heavy interior OL. I'll buy the point about the LB and S playing run-first all day, but I can't buy a "great" OL getting shut down by 2 guys.
They didn't get shut down because Aikman could pass over the top of the defense. Until Prescott does that, we will get loaded alignments as well as teams selling out with run blitzes. It's as simple as that.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
they have the curtains. did they not use em because they thought they could have an advantage over the GIants by not?

if true that obviously backfired. the alternative is they are dumbasses which is also entirely possible as we all know.
birdman
The Cowboys can and should open up the playbook somewhat. But everybody thought he was the third string quarterback. He moved up the depth chart in about two weeks. He probably doesn't know half the plays.

How about catching the ball? There were times that Dallas did throw when Giants stacked the box. Seems like every time, somebody dropped the ball.

The first 3 drives were field goals. I think all three drives ended when somebody dropped a catchable ball.

I would like to see some deep balls when Dez or Williams in single covered. Just throw it 40 yards and them fight for it.

Can anybody remember a play from Dak where you cringed? He had some so-so throws, but I can't remember a really stupid play at all.
jr15aggie
AG
They ran some very nice / creative plays in the pre-season... you know, when Dak marched up and down the field for TDs. We get to week 1 and it's back to mind numbing play calls. I honestly have no idea what these coaches are thinking sometimes!
98Ag99Grad
AG
The OL really hasn't been as dominant as they were since Callahan left. It would be nice if he could somehow come back but I certainly don't want him calling plays, just OL coach. And yeah, I'm off the Garrett bandwagon. They keep making the same dumb mistakes again and again.
Macarthur
quote:
The OL really hasn't been as dominant as they were since Callahan left. It would be nice if he could somehow come back but I certainly don't want him calling plays, just OL coach. And yeah, I'm off the Garrett bandwagon. They keep making the same dumb mistakes again and again.
PFF had them #1 last year.

They will be fine. The Giants have two fire hydrants for DTs. Not many teams will run on them this year. They were also selling out on the run.
TheCougarHunter
AG
They HAVE TO find a way to get the ball to Dez.

Dez is still by far our most dynamic player on offense. Hit Dez deep on one play and the running lanes will magically open up.
jtstanley4621
AG
quote:

Dez is still by far our most dynamic player on offense. Hit Dez deep on one play and the running lanes will magically open up.
Slants, comeback routes, and screens. There is no excuse not to get the ball in Dez's hands outside of just bombs down the field. It would open up just about everything else.
Macarthur
quote:
quote:

Slants, comeback routes, and screens. There is no excuse not to get the ball in Dez's hands outside of just bombs down the field. It would open up just about everything else.

Agree. Brown has tons of focus like Dez but Pitt found ways to get him the ball.

I will say this, NY did a pretty good job on coverage Sunday. A guy that was at the game and called into a radio show I was listenting to said NY really did a good job on coverage, especially deep. They kept a safety over the top and played tight coverage on Dez. They could do that because they have faith their big DTs could control the line. I don't think many teams will be able to do that against Dallas.

In fact, I think the matchups this week really favor the Cowboys. I think Dallas has a lot more success running the ball against the Skins, which should open up Dez for a few big plays.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
In fact, I think the matchups this week really favor the Cowboys. I think Dallas has a lot more success running the ball against the Skins, which should open up Dez for a few big plays.

they need to let the Butler run against his former team this week. give Zeke his touches but quit trying to force him also. Morris is a good back and will run extra angry.

Dez needs to step up and prove he's an elite WR. idk if the Skins will put Norman on him or not but regardless he needs to show up and make some of those catches he's been bobbling.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Talk about not getting their money's worth out of Dez's new deal so far.
jtstanley4621
AG
quote:
quote:

they need to let the Butler run against his former team this week. give Zeke his touches but quit trying to force him also. Morris is a good back and will run extra angry.

Dez needs to step up and prove he's an elite WR. idk if the Skins will put Norman on him or not but regardless he needs to show up and make some of those catches he's been bobbling.
Judging from the Steelers game, just put Dez on the opposite side of the field from Norman. That was one of the most bizarre things I've seen in a while. I don't recall Norman only playing one side of the field in Carolina either.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
ya it was bizarre. two things though...

1) Norman shut Bryant down last year with Carolina.

2) I think the Skins will learn from their mistake and move Norman over to him. The offense can't control whose covering a WR near as much as a defense can control who its covering.

I'd be shocked to not see Norman covering Dez most of the game.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:

It happened every once in a while. That Dallas team had, literally 5-10 run plays in their playbook. They'd just run zone plays and Smith would choose which gap to run. While the line was fantastic, it's a philosophy that would fail with nearly every single running back. Emmitt had the best vision and patience of on any back in NFL history and it isn't that close.
Azariah
AG
quote:
Jerry expects the sun to move for him.
Azariah
AG
quote:
Talk about not getting their money's worth out of Dez's new deal so far.
I'm way down on Dez. I don't think he's been right since they ruled the non-catch in the playoff game two years ago. He doesn't seem to be able to get through his head that he has to hold onto the ball for-basically-ever now.
jr15aggie
AG
Everybody needs to chill on Dez. Of course he hasn't been right since the "not a catch"... he broke his foot game 1 last year and he rushed to get back to help his team win. He was never physically right at any point last year.

If you watched this pre-season at all you will know that he looks just fine.

The Giants game... yeah, they totally blanket covered the guy. Do you expect him to still make plays, of course, but his Rookie QB did the right thing as a rookie and threw elsewhere most of the game. His reads told him to throw to the other guys. But give Dak credit, he did take his shots to Dez and gave Dez the perfect throw in tight coverage for a TD. Dez just didn't make the catch. That's one you'd really like Dez to make (and let's not forget he has on many occasions), but credit the Giants CB, he was all over it.
corleoneAg99
AG
Im not sure why WAS would have Norman shadow Dez if they didn't feel the need to do that for the best WR in football?

Also, im not ready to be down on Dez yet. He hasn't been healthy and or hasn't had a good QB since 2014.
PooDoo
AG
It's his mental shortcomings that get you.

He's just not smart enough to be an elite receiver. He doesn't learn from past mistakes.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.