****Cowboys 2016 Offseason Thread***

204,699 Views | 2475 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jr15aggie
PooDoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Saying he's a better Newman is supposed to be a slight?

Newman is still playing at 38. Started last year. In his prime used to go head to head with Randy Moss and held up fairly well. If he's a better Terrence Newman then the EE pick looks even worse.

His claim to fame was he caught Moss from behind.... Congrats you only gave up an 80 yards reception instead of an 87 yarder.

corleoneAg99
AG
quote:
I love the gamesmanship in the draft.

Ravens are saying "we tried to move up for Ramsey" after they removed Tunsil from their board... Lol... The way I heard it was they were close to a deal with Dallas until we found out their real target was Zeke!

Give us credit.... The ravens are considerred good drafters but we called their bluff. We also jumped them and stole Dez back in the day? I heard they were not happy about that.

I'm sure the rings in Ozzie's top drawer help him get over it some how.
Ag Natural
AG
According to some posters on here it sounds crazy to draft anyone in the top 5.
PooDoo
AG
Ozzie has misses just like everyone else.

Looking at the UDFA's:
Looks like we got the next Beasley with Ed Eagan...

That TE from Wisconsin looks like a monster.

corleoneAg99
AG
Yeah there isn't a GM without misses.

Someone hit the breaking news sounder.
corleoneAg99
AG
quote:
According to some posters on here it sounds crazy to draft anyone in the top 5.

Example?
PooDoo
AG
Example... If drafting Elliott in the top 5 requires him to have 1600 yards & 15+ TDs or whatever Bass was saying what kind of stats would Ramsey need to put up? 60 tackles 8 ints?
PooDoo
AG
Arjen Colquhoun #36

Deon King

Jake Brendel #54
http://www.patriots.com/video/2016/02/10/2016-draft-prospects-jake-brendel-c-ucla

Rolan Milligan

Jeremiah McKinnon

corleoneAg99
AG
quote:
Example... If drafting Elliott in the top 5 requires him to have 1600 yards & 15+ TDs or whatever Bass was saying what kind of stats would Ramsey need to put up? 60 tackles 8 ints?

Ok so there isn't an actual example, just one that requires the output you'd need from a RB to substantiate the pick.

I get that.

And, this is why people say that unless a guy is Adrian Peterson you shouldn't take him high in the first round.

Based on this thread, Zeke is the best since AP so it shouldn't be an issue.

Right?
Ag Natural
AG
I'm just wondering why a RB has to be a hall of famer or it was a bad pick. Meanwhile, corners and defensive lineman are great picks no matter what.
corleoneAg99
AG
Easy.

Because i can get good RB production from a pick later in the draft.

The same isn't true of positions like DE, CB, OT, etc.

Although i guess I shouldn't say "easy" because Jerry either doesn't get it or chooses to ignore it.
PooDoo
AG
If you are happy with yards that's great. I'd like a running game that can convert a 3rd & 3... Punch it in on the goal line... Take control during the last 4 minutes and close out the game.

That's what I expect out of Elliott and that's what the Cowboys didn't have.
corleoneAg99
AG
Sounds good to me.

I just think Henry or Dixon or Perkins could have done that.

And you wouldn't have had to use #4 to do it.
RedlineAg08
We've stated this exact statement eleventy billion times to these guys throughout this thread. Their skulls are too thick for the logic to penetrate. They just see flashy things and run blind after them.

What equals a dominant running game? 1900 total rushing yards? 1000 by 1 guy in half a season? Both with our starting QB and probowl WR injured, and absolute rejects for backup QBs? Nope.. Only "Zeke" = a dominant running game. Get one or gtfo..
PooDoo
AG
We'll see in a few months.
Ag Natural
AG
quote:
Easy.

Because i can get good RB production from a pick later in the draft.

The same isn't true of positions like DE, CB, OT, etc.

Although i guess I shouldn't say "easy" because Jerry either doesn't get it or chooses to ignore it.

Well considering the Cowboys have two 5th rounders and one top 5 pick at corner and the higher pick is the worst of the bunch, it's understandable that theyd shy away from picking a corner that high.
PooDoo
AG
quote:
Sounds good to me.

Perkins & Dixon wouldn't start on our team. Im thinking Elliott is a Probowler in 2 years.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
If Elliot is not a pro bowler within 2 yrs being that high a pick and behind that OL then hes a bust.

*considering context of where hes drafted
Ag Natural
AG
quote:
If Elliot is not a pro bowler within 2 yrs being that high a pick and behind that OL then hes a bust.

I would be mildly surprised if he doesn't become a probowler. But that is still a ludicrous statement.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
quote:
Sounds good to me.

Perkins & Dixon wouldn't start on our team. Im thinking Elliott is a Probowler in 2 years.
There is some probable truth to that. The fact that Elliot is a stud blocker makes him a day 1 starter. Most rookies split time until they understand the blocking component, so most likely these guys would have been our best running threat, but McFadden would still be the starter.

And I agree with Orlando... it's not fair to put too high expectations on rookies, even when drafted #4. But with the line we have if Zeke isn't in the pro bowl in a short few years he will be considered a very big disappointment. But I don't think we'll have to worry... everybody knows who he is (high draft pick and plays for Dallas), so all he really has to do is break 1,000 yards and he'll make it this year. Shouldn't be hard for Zeke if healthy.
Ag Natural
AG
I'm hoping the coaching staff doesn't put too much on the kid from day one. We've got two veteran backs that can share the load. If Zeke really stands out it's still nice to save him a bit for the second half of the season and hopefully the playoffs. I'll be very interested to see how Morris looks.

We've had so many injury issues with rookies that would be my top priority. Just keep everyone healthy someway somehow.
DannyDuberstein
AG
A top 4 pick should significantly upgrade the performance of his position. The Dallas running game was decent, so pro bowl calibur performance (or very near it) is what it takes IMO to consider that pick worthwhile. It either upgrades your team or it was a waste.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
quote:

I would be mildly surprised if he doesn't become a probowler. But that is still a ludicrous statement.

You think having pro bowl expectations of a guy drafted at 4 running behind Martin Frederick Collins and Smith is ludicrous?

Average players shouldn't be drafted at 4.

Not sure how to respond to that.
BMX Bandit
Agree with Orlando.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Mcfadden might have made the pro bowl if Romo was healthy. Asking the same out of the #4 draft pick isn't ludicrous.
Reginald Cousins
S
"Paint" looks a bit slow, but if my eyes don't deceive me, he's long with good instincts.
ce1994
AG
McFadden was a better prospect coming out of college than Elliot. And McFadden makes less money.

This was a bad move.
PooDoo
AG
Notable RB's rookie numbers:

name / yards / tds / rookie season record / wins vs previous year

Peterson 1,341 12 8-8 +2
Tomlinson 1,236 10 5-11 +4
Faulk 1,282 11 8-8 +4
Smith 937 11 7-9 +6
Sanders 1,470 14 7-9 +3
****erson 1,808 18 9-7 *Strike year +7

Last year:

McFadden 1,089 3 4-12 -8

I'm looking for TD's and wins from Elliott.
PooDoo
AG
quote:
McFadden was a better prospect coming out of college than Elliot. And McFadden makes less money.

This was a bad move.
He was a better prospect in 2008... lol. He's widely regarded as a bust.

Do you think McFadden is better than Elliott?
ce1994
AG
Yes, I do. I think McFadden is better than Elliot. I think you can get three more years out of McFadden.

Gentlemen, EVERYTHING depends on Romo. Everything. He does down it is another clunker. The Cowboys needed Ramsey. Badly.

After Romo retires the Cowboys are garbage.
PooDoo
AG
quote:
Yes, I do. I think McFadden is better than Elliot.
PooDoo
AG
So if the Cowboys draft Ramsey and Romo goes down it's not a clunker?
RedlineAg08
I think the thought is their defense is better prepared to keep it tight.

You could then say Elliott will help take the pressure off of the backup..

I think they could have gotten more overall value going elsewhere in Rd 1 and grabbing a RB later. I'm over the 1st pick.

Cant beleive they followed that pick up witga guy that aint playing this year
ce1994
AG
If Romo does not go down they have a chance. Shore up the defense just a little. Get a pass rusher and someone that can cover. Ask Demarco Murray about Romo. Ask Laurent Robinson. Without Romo the Cowboys are garbage.

You can have this funny little mind blowing thing all you want. McFadden has done it on the pro level. Elliot has not. You have no idea what Elliot is going to do. The Cowboys have three years to do something. Then it is back to the drawing board.
Jason Ag
AG
quote:
You have no idea what Elliot is going to do.

True, but also true of drafting anyone or signing any rookie.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.