****Cowboys 2016 Offseason Thread***

205,302 Views | 2475 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jr15aggie
RedlineAg08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ah, viewed on my phone and couldn't see the name there.. I looked up a picture of Byron Jones trying to figure out who it might be... That's a ripped up sob.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
Just don't see this defense having the personnel to win a title.

They can't go 4-12 to winning a title but this defense is better than the one that almost beat the Packers in the playoffs. Keep Romo healthy & make the playoffs... Keep getting better.

Never say never. I believe the Rams went from three wins to thirteen during the Greatest Show on Turf.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
You wana tell me our DBs will be fine? Ok its possible and they might be. Wana tell me after we get Gregory and Lawrence back we will have a pass rush? Fine I'll give you that as possible too.

But whose playing LB? Sean Glass Lee who might be one head shot away from hangin em up? Ro Mclain? Gona count on that dude? Hitch is ok and maybe he breaks out but you shouldn't count on it. LBs are crucial in that scheme and the 2014 D while not great had better LB depth especially with Carter and Durant around.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Front 7 is a mess. Sean Lee was also reasonably healthy last year. Odds of that happening again are long.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
quote:
Just don't see this defense having the personnel to win a title.

Outscore. Control clock.

It's the opposite of what the Broncos did this year. It's been done before. Will be done again.

A lesser team was almost to NFC Championship in 14. Let's not lose sight of that. You've added Lael Collins. Ezekial Elliot. We have great RB depth. Butler may be the surprise of the season and like the idea of another big guy with speed. If Romo makes it through, anything could happen.

Read an article earlier that suggested we were doing something Teams are not geared for, being run heavy in a passing league. It's rough on defenses that have adjusted to current trends.

How many times has a bad or even mediocre defense won the Super Bowl? Maybe not impossible but its rare.

There is still time to make some moves though. June 1 cuts are coming up. If not, they need to look at perhaps trading for someone. If they feel good about the OL depth minus Leary then perhaps trade him either for a pass rusher or a quality LB. Neither have to be super stars but they need to have an impact. A versatile LB who can play any of those LB spots and have at least some impact would be of great value. History is not on their side as far as keeping Lee and Mclain on the field.
RedlineAg08
If McClain shows up in shape and Lee stays healthy like last year our LBers are the strongest position.. Thats a big if, but i think its more certain than us developing a great pass rush

This will be the first offseason that Rolondo gets to train. He was injured before, then retired
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
There have already been a few reports that Ro has gained ridiculous weight and is way outa shape this offseason after getting his new deal. Hes never been a guy thats reliable and has even been seen inexplicably on the bench in crucial situations.
PooDoo
AG
quote:
Front 7 is a mess. Sean Lee was also reasonably healthy last year. Odds of that happening again are long.

Its no worse than the front 7 was in 14 with Selvie & Hayden starting.

I think Thorton is going to fit nicely & will be an upgrade from Hayden. If they can stay healthy & off the grass they might have a shot at something.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
quote:

I think Thorton is going to fit nicely & will be an upgrade from Hayden. If they can stay healthy & off the grass they might have a shot at something.

I keep seeing people reference 2014. That defense was mediocre too. And Dallas fell short. Said it earlier in the thread too. Dallas really shoulda lost to Detroit in round one and then the next week couldn't get stops vs GB when it mattered most several times. That offense was good too. Imho going into a season saying "our offense is gona control the clock and score points and thats what our defense is gona be too" isn't a very sound strategy.

Simply put you need defense and you need good defenders. If you wana contend at least.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
There have already been a few reports that Ro has gained ridiculous weight and is way outa shape this offseason after getting his new deal. Hes never been a guy thats reliable and has even been seen inexplicably on the bench in crucial situations.

If true that makes drafting Smith in the 2nd look worse. I was a fan of Ragland with that pick once the DE were gone. I understand people think of him as a 2 down player (cause he isn't great against the pass), but I was fine with that. The guy was a beast in college pursuing the ball. If he had to come off the field in passing downs so what. He would have been really good in place of Rolando.

But generally speaking I'm happy with how the team drafted, I'm just impatient. We definitely have more things we want to fix, but only so much cap money and draft picks to do it. All we can do is hope some of these knuckle heads do the right thing.
jr15aggie
AG
This is a good article. It's definitely on the "glass half full" side of things (which is how I roll), but it has good points.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2016/05/06/spagnola-answers-beauty-double-e-certainly-buried-paydirt
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:

If true that makes drafting Smith in the 2nd look worse. I was a fan of Ragland with that pick once the DE were gone. I understand people think of him as a 2 down player (cause he isn't great against the pass), but I was fine with that. The guy was a beast in college pursuing the ball. If he had to come off the field in passing downs so what. He would have been really good in place of Rolando.

But generally speaking I'm happy with how the team drafted, I'm just impatient. We definitely have more things we want to fix, but only so much cap money and draft picks to do it. All we can do is hope some of these knuckle heads do the right thing.

I saw him at a Mavs game a few weeks ago. He was maybe three rows in front of me. He looked just like he always does.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
http://dal.247sports.com/Bolt/Cowboys-reportedly-concerned-with-Rolando-McClains-weight-gain-44949759

Dude has been unreliable at best his entire career.
BassCowboy33
quote:
http://dal.247sports.com/Bolt/Cowboys-reportedly-concerned-with-Rolando-McClains-weight-gain-44949759

Dude has been unreliable at best his entire career.

Ah, lost in translation. When you said "Ro", I assumed that meant Romo. In DFW, McClain is known as "RAGONK". Tony is usually referred to as "Tones Romes" or "The Jedi".
corleoneAg99
AG
Shocker.

This is why the Jaylon Smith pick is even more baffling than taking a RB in the first round.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
So who are Dallas' reliable playmaking LBs?
RedlineAg08
Who are Dallas' reliable playmaking anything on defense?
jr15aggie
AG
quote:

Doesn't matter... Zeke scores on every other carry!
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:

Some truth to this. This is why I just dont see what the optimists see. Logically and objectively speaking how anyone can say Dallas is "scary good" borders on absurd.
corleoneAg99
AG
Not sure what the big deal is really. This team didn't have any real needs heading into the draft.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:

Some truth to this. This is why I just dont see what the optimists see. Logically and objectively speaking how anyone can say Dallas is "scary good" borders on absurd.

I haven't seen anyone mention 2014's saving grace: turnovers. The D caused an enormous amount of turnovers at a completely unsustainable rate. Last year it was unsustainably bad, so this year maybe it will find the middle?
Ag Natural
AG
I don't see how anyone can definitively be crazy positive or negative on the defense. The reality is there are a ton of young guys on the defense and it's a pretty negative outlook to say none of them will improve as they enter years 2 or 3. That 2014 defense overachieved quite a bit primarily due to a couple of factors. First, the linebacker corps saw McClain, Durant and Carter have unexpectedly good seasons. Second, the offense was dominant and forced the opposing offenses to take some chances. This led to the turnovers.

Clearly the coaching staff is hoping that the offense can have another great year, this will help the defense tremendously. If that happens, the personnel on this squad probably has more potential then that 2014 unit.
PooDoo
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

I keep seeing people reference 2014. That defense was mediocre too. And Dallas fell short. Said it earlier in the thread too. Dallas really shoulda lost to Detroit in round one and then the next week couldn't get stops vs GB when it mattered most several times. That offense was good too. Imho going into a season saying "our offense is gona control the clock and score points and thats what our defense is gona be too" isn't a very sound strategy.

Simply put you need defense and you need good defenders. If you wana contend at least.
If we had a RB that didn't fumble and a WR with better football awareness... We would've won.

It wouldn't matter if we drafted 20 defensive players. We still wouldn't be a Super Bowl team this year.

If you are going into the draft thinking a rookie is going to be able to come in and change your fortune you are kidding yourself. On good teams it's rare for a rookie to get starts.

Is there anyone that doesn't think if healthy Ezekiel Elliott will be a foundation player for the offense in 3 years?

Is there anyone that doesn't think if healthy Jaylen Smith will be a foundation player for the defense in 3 years?

That's pretty rare to find in one draft.

TheCougarHunter
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

If we had a RB that didn't fumble and a WR with better football awareness... We would've won.

It wouldn't matter if we drafted 20 defensive players. We still wouldn't be a Super Bowl team this year.

If you are going into the draft thinking a rookie is going to be able to come in and change your fortune you are kidding yourself. On good teams it's rare for a rookie to get starts.

Is there anyone that doesn't think if healthy Ezekiel Elliott will be a foundation player for the offense in 3 years?

Is there anyone that doesn't think if healthy Jaylen Smith will be a foundation player for the defense in 3 years?

That's pretty rare to find in one draft.

Thank you...someone with some sense around here
corleoneAg99
AG
Jerry agrees.

And he's almost always right.
Reginald Cousins
PooDoo
AG
It was Garrett & Stephen that made the first two picks... Good Jerry joke though.
corleoneAg99
AG
quote:
It was Garrett & Stephen that made the first two picks... Good Jerry joke though.

Right. This after Jerry lamenting that he didn't go a 2 and a 3 to get Lynch but Stephen and Garrett control the draft room.

lol
PooDoo
AG
Who do you think pulled the reigns on Jerry to keep him from making the trade... Same guys that kept him from drafting Manziel.
corleoneAg99
AG
The same guy who made the Claiborne trade up.

Jerry.

If you don't think he's calling the shots in the first couple rounds then I'm not sure what to tell you other than propaganda is usually bad.

Please proceed with the kool aid though. More glory hole that way.
Macarthur
quote:

Jerry.

If you don't think he's calling the shots in the first couple rounds then I'm not sure what to tell you other than propaganda is usually bad.

Virtually everyone close to this team says that this is not the case, at least not how you portray it.

Clearly, Jerry is still looming large, but everyone with connections says that Stephen has take a huge amount of the reins.
jr15aggie
AG
Dang man, do you even enjoy watching the Cowboys anymore?
corleoneAg99
AG
quote:
quote:

Jerry.

Virtually everyone close to this team says that this is not the case, at least not how you portray it.

Clearly, Jerry is still looming large, but everyone with connections says that Stephen has take a huge amount of the reins.

Ok so best case scenario Stephen is bad at his job too?

Sounds good.
corleoneAg99
AG
quote:
Dang man, do you even enjoy watching the Cowboys anymore?

When Romo is playing, sure. Otherwise they are an overhyped beating.
Macarthur
quote:
quote:
quote:

Jerry.

Ok so best case scenario Stephen is bad at his job too?

Sounds good.

There are those in the league that disagree.

http://www.endzonescore.com/nfl-executive-believes-the-dallas-cowboys-are-super-bowl-bound/38447

Now, I'm certainly not booking my trip for the next SB, and I'm not ready to say Stephen is going to be executive of the year every year.

But I also think you're allowing your Jerry hatred to cloud your perception, a bit.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.