****Cowboys 2016 Offseason Thread***

205,299 Views | 2475 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jr15aggie
BassCowboy33
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The direction this argument has gone today (defensive tackle)is pretty moot as it's become clear what Dallas thinks of the interior + its other more drastic long term needs + the position's draft availability. Dallas won't reach on a DT that early in the draft. From media reports, it sounds like Dallas has it down to Ramsey/Goff/Wentz/Smith/Jack/Bosa worth going that high, with reports being that Ramsey is #1 on their board. It'll be interesting to see how combine performances by these guys shuffle things around.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
with reports being that Ramsey is #1 on their board.

Fyi, they don't even have a board yet. They won't until after the combine.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Apparently while 2016 and 17 have some money available under the cap, and more can be created in 2018 and 2019 the Cowboys are projected to have upwards of $70M in cap space or more in those years. Even with Romo staying on the books which means that sum would increase if his window does indeed close and he retires.

Apparently Stephen has put together some nicely structured deals that allow for this.

If this is indeed the case, I say screw "responsible" for a year and go for the damn jugular now. Sign a stud Safety that can finally cover the middle of the field and tackle when you need him to near the LOS, sign a stud DE that can pressure the QB opposite Lawrence who started to come on a bit, sign 2 LBs that are reliable and good (not necessarily studs but good tier 2 type guys who would start for most other teams but wont be winning any all pro honors), sign a solid but not superstar DT you've been lacking, and finally sign an upgraded CB over Claiborne or Carr. Yes, that's 6 major signings but that covers your bases, and gives you all sorts of crazy freedom on draft day.

Barry Church and JJ Wilcox are not championship level Safeties. They cannot be your starters going into the year.

On LB, this free agent period is as saturated with available LBs as ever before. There are a ton of good solid guys expected to be available. Sign a couple of them.
Macarthur
I agree. Some interesting names are

Vernon DE
Malik Jackson DE

Trumane johnson CB

Damon Harrison DT

Ian Williams NT

Reggie Nelson FS

Lamar Miller RB

Travis Benjamin WR
Nick fairly DT

I don't see a ton of LB help out there because I think Denver signs travathan.

Macarthur
One thing that I think is encouraging is that the Cowboys NFL scouts have been pretty good lately at finding guys on he street that can help the team. Since we've got a little money to spend, it's encouraging that we can find some good players outside of the obvious high dollar free agents.
jr15aggie
AG
What's the word on hardy? I assume he's not coming back... Any other teams interested?
BassCowboy33
quote:
What's the word on hardy? I assume he's not coming back... Any other teams interested?

Cowboys said a couple weeks back that they had no interest in resigning Hardy.
Matsui
AG
Randle arrested again. Great move cutting him loose.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:

Cowboys knew he was a thug. I couldn't figure out why they never trusted him cause he had all the skills to be a really good back. I just didn't realize his isolated underwear incident wasnt isolated at all.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
just don't understand some of these guys. you have the opportunity to have it all and you do stupid ish like this to throw it all away. not once, but repeatedly.
Ag Natural
AG
quote:
quote:

Cowboys knew he was a thug. I couldn't figure out why they never trusted him cause he had all the skills to be a really good back. I just didn't realize his isolated underwear incident wasnt isolated at all.
Randle is/was a pretty well documented "bad guy". He must be crazy talented to get the chances he got. Fortunately, today its much tougher to win with thugs than it used to be. So teams will have to pass on the Hardy's and Randle's. The challenge is finding out if they are really bad guys or just young guys doing dumb stuff like Randy Moss and Cam Newton.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
I'm guessing with Gregory's issues, and Randle's past headache, and Hardy etc....

Spence is probably pretty close to not appearing on the Cowboys first round board when they finalize it. Maybe not on their boards at all .
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Randle is/was a pretty well documented "bad guy".
I wasn't aware of that... to me he was just some dude from OSU and I liked what I saw when he ran the ball. Read just a minute ago that it's now being said he hit 3 people with his car the other day. Nobody was seriously injured, but he's in jail with a 100,000 bond apparently. The guy will be in jail/in trouble the rest of his life it sounds like... the only real question is how long will ESPN continue to report "Ex Cowboy does a bad thing again".

And yeah, I gotta think anybody with questionable character issues won't even be on the board this year. Can only wonder if Gregory will take his talent for granted too and keep on smoking the dope (I'm assuming that's why he failed the drug test).
Matsui
AG
Gregory has failed 4 since the combine.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Jerrys plan to get Spence w out spending a draft pick:

Step one : Payoff local authorities to call Spence in for questioning for a completely unrelated persons murder.
Step two: Make sure that event goes public
Step three: Watch as other teams remove him from their boards
Step Four : Watch as he goes undrafted, then wine and dine him as a rookie free agent
Step Five : PROFIT
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Gregory has failed 4 since the combine.

Is that right? He would have lost games of so... This is the first I've heard since the combine he's failed.
BMX Bandit
jr15aggie
AG
quote:

Wow! What a waste
Matsui
AG
He can't quit weed.
Macarthur
quote:

Vernon DE
Malik Jackson DE

Trumane johnson CB

Damon Harrison DT

Ian Williams NT

Reggie Nelson FS

Lamar Miller RB

Travis Benjamin WR
Nick fairly DT

I forgot Wilkerson on this list. HE's a beast.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:

Vernon DE
Malik Jackson DE

Trumane johnson CB

Damon Harrison DT

Ian Williams NT

Reggie Nelson FS

Lamar Miller RB

Travis Benjamin WR
Nick fairly DT

I forgot Wilkerson on this list. HE's a beast.

Also, for the shortsighted who don't want a quarterback, you HAVE to spend some good money to get a quality backup QB.
Agnzona
I wonder if Daryl Washington will be available, he was on the verge of superstardom but couldn't put the weed down either.
BassCowboy33
NFL.com is reporting that Treadwell will not run the 40, which will only exacerbate worries about his speed. We may have another Mike Williams on our hands. His stock is falling.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
NFL.com is reporting that Treadwell will not run the 40, which will only exacerbate worries about his speed. We may have another Mike Williams on our hands. His stock is falling.
Speed can be overrated for a WR, but you gotta have a little bit of it. He never felt fast or quick to me in college and I never felt like he was this "oh my gosh he's a top 5 prospect" sorta player. Sure he was good, but he never felt like Julio Jones or Amari Cooper... those guys seemed legit coming out and are great NFL players.
Squirrel Master
AG
I've been surprised that Treadwell has been looked at as top 10 guy. Feels like a quality late 1st/early2nd guy, but I wouldn't have pegged him as the top WR in the draft.
BassCowboy33
quote:
I've been surprised that Treadwell has been looked at as top 10 guy. Feels like a quality late 1st/early2nd guy, but I wouldn't have pegged him as the top WR in the draft.

There are those on this thread who view him as a viable #4, unfortunately.
corleoneAg99
AG
The further the process goes on the more Treadwell's draft projections seem to drop lower in the first round.

He's not running because he'd probably pop a 4.6 and that would not be a good look. He's still a first round guy but he's not the total physical freak he was originally billed to be.

It probably helps Corey Coleman the most.
BassCowboy33
quote:
The further the process goes on the more Treadwell's draft projections seem to drop lower in the first round.

He's not running because he'd probably pop a 4.6 and that would not be a good look. He's still a first round guy but he's not the total physical freak he was originally billed to be.

It probably helps Corey Coleman the most.

From what I understand a 4.6 would be the uppermost of his speed. While speed isn't everything, scouts are worried that he will run in the 4.75 range. Plenty of good receivers have run about a 4.7, but for a high end pick, that's pretty poor.
BMX Bandit
At that speed, you can't take in the top 10

Ramsey or Bosa my current choices
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
for me its Ramsey only right now at 4.

honestly though I'm hoping like hell they get a crazy too good to pass up trade offer to move down.
corleoneAg99
AG
If Ramsey comes out of the combine like most think it might be hard for SD to pass on him at 3...depends on how they think Bosa might fit their scheme.

Of course all of that assumes TEN takes Tunsil which is a popular projection right now. I don't think people have as good a read on that as they would like because TEN has been and probably still is until they prove otherwise a complete dumpster fire front office situation.
BassCowboy33
quote:
for me its Ramsey only right now at 4.

honestly though I'm hoping like hell they get a crazy too good to pass up trade offer to move down.
I'd have to say a QB or Ramsey. I'd be ecstatic at Goff or Wentz, but I could accept Ramsey.
GoneForGood
What'd I'd love to see happen is see Wentz go undrafted at 4, we trade back to 7 or 8 picking up a second and possibly third round pick and draft Wentz there. Get a decent LB and rb in the 2nd round and another possession WR to play opposite dez.

Again, that's my ideal dream scenario. So of course the cowboys are going to trade up to 2 to get Wentz
BassCowboy33
quote:
What'd I'd love to see happen is see Wentz go undrafted at 4, we trade back to 7 or 8 picking up a second and possibly third round pick and draft Wentz there. Get a decent LB and rb in the 2nd round and another possession WR to play opposite dez.

Again, that's my ideal dream scenario. So of course the cowboys are going to trade up to 2 to get Wentz

Some of that depends on the combine, but I'm not one of those who think that Wentz will slide past #7 and San Fran. If anyone slides, it might be Lynch. It's always possible, though.

If SF is trading up from #7, it'll be to grab Goff or Wentz. We might have an interesting standoff between the two.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Haven't really been following but Ramsey hurt his knee in the bowl game right? Will he be ready for training camp?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.