****Cowboys 2016 Offseason Thread***

205,296 Views | 2475 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jr15aggie
PooDoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think at four if Goff or Bosa are there you have to take them. If not trade down and try to turn the 4th into a mid 1st and 2nd.
Reginald Cousins
S
quote:
If the Cowboys want to take the optimistic view on Romo then they should pick the best defensive players available in the 1st and 2nd round. We should be able to snag some great athletes with those picks. The defense wasn't that bad last year. Just need to add another playmaker on the line and in the secondary.

It is going to be a fascinating draft though. Most people (fairly) don't assume that Romo can stay on the field. I feel like Jerry will gamble with Romo being healthy and choose the best non-QB available. His rationale will be that if the Cowboys get in the playoff/Super Bowl mix next year then a first year QB will not help them. Whereas the FSU corner or the Alabama DT will make an immediate impact.

I can't say that rationale is incorrect but it is short term thinking. Still, if you tell me right now that Romo starts 16 games and the Cowboys add 2 top defensive rookies to their team then I'll put money down that they win the NFC East. They have way more talent on this squad than a 4 win team should.

I cannot for the life of me understand the defensers. Go add up how many points they lost each game by. Hint: it was usually an offensive problem. Had the boys scored 4 more points per game they'd have made the playoffs. Stop looking at sacks and turnovers and look at what the defense actually did. Kept nearly every game winnable.
BassCowboy33
quote:
I think at four if Goff or Bosa are there you have to take them. If not trade down and try to turn the 4th into a mid 1st and 2nd.

While trading down is nice, you have to find a team that's willing to give you a commensurate number of picks for such a thing to be viable, which isn't always the case.
Ag Natural
AG
quote:
quote:
If the Cowboys want to take the optimistic view on Romo then they should pick the best defensive players available in the 1st and 2nd round. We should be able to snag some great athletes with those picks. The defense wasn't that bad last year. Just need to add another playmaker on the line and in the secondary.

It is going to be a fascinating draft though. Most people (fairly) don't assume that Romo can stay on the field. I feel like Jerry will gamble with Romo being healthy and choose the best non-QB available. His rationale will be that if the Cowboys get in the playoff/Super Bowl mix next year then a first year QB will not help them. Whereas the FSU corner or the Alabama DT will make an immediate impact.

I can't say that rationale is incorrect but it is short term thinking. Still, if you tell me right now that Romo starts 16 games and the Cowboys add 2 top defensive rookies to their team then I'll put money down that they win the NFC East. They have way more talent on this squad than a 4 win team should.

I cannot for the life of me understand the defensers. Go add up how many points they lost each game by. Hint: it was usually an offensive problem. Had the boys scored 4 more points per game they'd have made the playoffs. Stop looking at sacks and turnovers and look at what the defense actually did. Kept nearly every game winnable.

Opponents kept it very conservative all season because our offense was so inept. The defense had what? 6 or 7 turnovers the whole season? It was insanely low. This is not a very good defense. Its lacking in true play makers.
BBQ4Me
AG
If Bosa is available, DAL should not hesitate to take him. He is going to command double-teams on almost every play
Macarthur
quote:
If Bosa is available, DAL should not hesitate to take him. He is going to command double-teams on almost every play

I like bosa and would not hate that pick at all, but I have read those that think he may be closer to Chris long than Jared Allen (which is the comparison I see most).
RedlineAg08
I agree with you that the defense was good enough to win. The offense was too, though. We lacked a QB to make it run, thats all. Backup QB is a hole that needs to be addressed but it cam be addressed by a few QBs that are talented in the 3rd/4th round and that doesnt hurt you to sit them a year or 2. Dallas is in win now mode, and i agree that they should be bc with Romo healthy they can beat anyone.

So where are the 1st team holes that could be plugged with a 1st and 2nd rd pick?
CB2 - Alexander/Ramsey (but our system doesnt value good cover corners)
Safety - Ramsey
Nose Tackle - A.Robinson (it's been said our system doesn't value the NT, as well, but A.Rob can push the pocket, command double teams, and is athletic enough to generate a pass rush where Nick Hayden just stands there).

I think T.Williams is a great #2 WR and drafting Treadwell would be a waste of talent bc there isnt enough balls to go around for a team that is trying to go run first. Thats my opinion on why we go defense.

And I like Bosa too. If I were drafting it'd be hard to pass on him if he's there.. If we keep Hardy, and D. Lawrence is good, Randy Gregory is going to develop and fight for playing time. We only draft him if Hardy is gone, I think.
Agnzona
Von Miller is a unrestricted FA, Jerry should give him the Fort Worth mint.....
jeffdjohnson
I agree that the Cowboys defense wasn't bad. However it certainly wasn't elite and there is room for improvement. Cowboys were 16th in points per game and 17th in yards per game.

For reference, Denver was 1st in yards per game and 4th in points per game. Carolina was 6th in points per game and 6th in yards per game. Out of the top 12 defenses in points per game, 11 of them made the playoffs. Also 8 out of the top 12 teams in yards per game made the playoffs as well.

I think Cowboys defense has the potential to jump to a top 10 level in yards and points with a few moves in the draft and free agency. Couple that with a healthy Romo and they will be in the mix.
ce1994
AG
You can kick a tree and a running back will fall out of it. What the Cowboys have on the roster right now is good enough and very affordable.
Ag Natural
AG
quote:
You can kick a tree and a running back will fall out of it. What the Cowboys have on the roster right now is good enough and very affordable.
Sure, but not great running backs. This team needs a difference maker at the position. It takes pressure off of Romo and the defense.
Agnzona
I don't really disagree but the four Conf. Semi finalists had average running games or by committee type systems. A first round pick on a RB has too much risk too little reward.
Ag Natural
AG
quote:
I don't really disagree but the four Conf. Semi finalists had average running games or by committee type systems. A first round pick on a RB has too much risk too little reward.
They all had very good defenses, no doubt. But we're a loooong way from having a great defense. IMO, we're one stud RB away from having a great running game that can take pressure off of every other unit.
RedlineAg08
Darren McFadden in 10-11 games as the #1 back with absolutely no QB to keep defenses from keying on the run:

2015 Regular Season
239 Attemps
1,089 Rushing Yards
4.6 Yards/Attempt
50 Longest Run
3 TDs
40 Receptions
328 Receiving Yards
8.2 Yards/Reception

Our running game is fine, but I wouldn't mind drafting a RB in the 3-7th rd, either.
Macarthur
quote:
I agree with you that the defense was good enough to win. The offense was too, though. We lacked a QB to make it run, thats all. Backup QB is a hole that needs to be addressed but it cam be addressed by a few QBs that are talented in the 3rd/4th round and that doesnt hurt you to sit them a year or 2. Dallas is in win now mode, and i agree that they should be bc with Romo healthy they can beat anyone.

So where are the 1st team holes that could be plugged with a 1st and 2nd rd pick?
Safety - Ramsey
Nose Tackle - A.Robinson (it's been said our system doesn't value the NT, as well, but A.Rob can push the pocket, command double teams, and is athletic enough to generate a pass rush where Nick Hayden just stands there).

I think T.Williams is a great #2 WR and drafting Treadwell would be a waste of talent bc there isnt enough balls to go around for a team that is trying to go run first. Thats my opinion on why we go defense.

And I like Bosa too. If I were drafting it'd be hard to pass on him if he's there.. If we keep Hardy, and D. Lawrence is good, Randy Gregory is going to develop and fight for playing time. We only draft him if Hardy is gone, I think.
Who are the talented QBs that are in the 3rd or 4th?
RedlineAg08
Jacob Coker - Alabama
Kevin Hogan - Stanford
Cody Kessler - USC
Brandon Allen - Arkansas

I'm really intrigued by Brandon Allen/Kevin Hogan, personally. But I'd be happy with any of the 4. All projected to go after the 4th round as of a week or 2 ago.

And people are poo pooing on Conner Cook. I don't want him in the 1st, but I'd take him in a heartbeat in the 3rd.
Daveintx
While the offense obviously was no good without Romo/Dez, keep in mind this is the same defense that gave up a big lead to atlanta and let other teams drive down the field to win it late in low scoring situations
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:

Safety - Ramsey

Who are the talented QBs that are in the 3rd or 4th?

Unless Williams has a fantastic 2016 campaign, Dallas will not resign him.
corleoneAg99
AG
Senior Bowl returns on Wentz are already glowing...assuming he does well in the game he could easily supplant Goff as the presumed #1 guy headed into combine.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Ragland getting good pub too. Not sure how far he'll make it down the boards but if we can trade down 10 spots and still get him and an additional 2nd rounder then I'd be happy with that.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Ragland getting good pub too. Not sure how far he'll make it down the boards but if we can trade down 10 spots and still get him and an additional 2nd rounder then I'd be happy with that.

If you move down ten spots, you better get a hell of a lot more than another 2nd rounder. Moving that far down should get you at least a 1 (2016), 2 (2016,17), 3 (2016 or 17). You'd probably need to get another one in that deal. Moving ten spots from #4 to #14 is an enormous trade down.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
You' re right . According to the chart trading down 4-6 spots only is worth the 2nd. So that would put em at 8-10 overall.

So if the right guy is there, trading down 10 spots could conceivably net em an additional 2nd and 3rd picks.

I'm liking the value in that 10-15 range. And I'm also liking the guys projected to be available in the high 3rd round. If they play it right they can come outa this with a great opening day impact player in round 1, and then also have 2 2nds, and 2 3rds in addition to a high 4th. That would go a huge ways to stacking this team.

Something like this would be pretty epic BPA:

1: LB
2: DT
2: CB or Safety
3: RB
3: WR
4: DL or LB or DB
Ag Natural
AG
You'd have to feel pretty good about Smith or Jack sliding down that far. With both injured that is a possibility, but you'll be playing poker on draft day.
RedlineAg08
I think Ragland is the 1st MLB taken, and I don't see 2 being drafted in the top 15, so if we could find someone that wanted to give up the picks and trade with us, I think either Ragland or Jack would be there.

I like Ragland alot. Admittedly I don't know much about Jack other than everyone raves about him. If they can find a suitor, I'd be onboard with that, but I also think Rolondo is a solid MLB in our defense. He was just sidelined this year.
BassCowboy33
quote:
You' re right . According to the chart trading down 4-6 spots only is worth the 2nd. So that would put em at 8-10 overall.

So if the right guy is there, trading down 10 spots could conceivably net em an additional 2nd and 3rd picks.

I'm liking the value in that 10-15 range. And I'm also liking the guys projected to be available in the high 3rd round. If they play it right they can come outa this with a great opening day impact player in round 1, and then also have 2 2nds, and 2 3rds in addition to a high 4th. That would go a huge ways to stacking this team.

The issue then becomes finding a team that's willing to make that move. It's not as simple as saying, "I want to move down. Let's do it." Somebody has to want to move up, be willing to part with draft picks, and be in a spot where you think that you could get a player that you are targeting.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
quote:

The issue then becomes finding a team that's willing to make that move. It's not as simple as saying, "I want to move down. Let's do it." Somebody has to want to move up, be willing to part with draft picks, and be in a spot where you think that you could get a player that you are targeting.

Of course.

Hopefully this is where hopefully a guy like Wentz blows some teams away and they move up to get him.

Odds are still in favor of either sticking at #4 or a smaller less dramatic trade down.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
I really like Ragland a lot . Especially at around 10 or so he'd be an excellent value. Lee when on the field is obviously great. Ro is up and down and unreliable as well.
Ag Natural
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Of course.

Hopefully this is where hopefully a guy like Wentz blows some teams away and they move up to get him.

Odds are still in favor of either sticking at #4 or a smaller less dramatic trade down.
Yep, that's our best bet. Teams only trade the farm for QBs they love (unless you're Mike Ditka).
corleoneAg99
AG
I like Ragland too but does he have the range? I think he might just be a two down LB whereas someone like Jack is more of a three down guy a la Shaq Thompson.

If they don't get a QB at 4, which they just don't seem like they're going to, I think you need to get a pass rusher or take the DB from FSU who be a hybrid CB/S.

And if the QB's really show out maybe they field some attractive calls for a trade down to somewhere else in top 10-15 and pick up another 2nd, etc.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Of course.

Yep, that's our best bet. Teams only trade the farm for QBs they love (unless you're Mike Ditka).
The issue here is two-fold:

(1) If Wentz performs well and everyone wants him, Dallas WILL NOT let him get by them unless there is some sort of Great Train Robbery or Robert Griffin type deal. Cowboys fans can talk all they want about more immediate pressing needs, but the holes that those picks fill are useless if you don't have a quarterback. If, for example, Jalen Ramsey is a pro bowl player three years from now, the Cowboys will still suck if they don't have a quarterback.

(2) If Wentz does well, general consensus seems to be that he won't make it to #4, which might allow Dallas to be in a position to take Goff.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
I like Ragland too but does he have the range? I think he might just be a two down LB whereas someone like Jack is more of a three down guy a la Shaq Thompson.

If they don't get a QB at 4, which they just don't seem like they're going to, I think you need to get a pass rusher or take the DB from FSU who be a hybrid CB/S.

And if the QB's really show out maybe they field some attractive calls for a trade down to somewhere else in top 10-15 and pick up another 2nd, etc.
to be clear I do like Jack more than Ragland.

i was speaking more in the context of drafting in that 8-14 range post trade down where Ragland might be, but Jack is not likely to be available.
PooDoo
AG
The only team drafting a QB for sure in front of us is Cleveland at 2. I don't think there is any way the Chargers go QB at 3.

Who is going to draft Wentz?

I'd bet big money that all the QB's minus Goff will be there for us at 4. And that's when we'll be able to move down with a team that wants Wentz.

That being said... I don't like the way Wentz throws. I don't like his injury history. He's a bottom half of the 1st round reach IMO.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
The only team drafting a QB for sure in front of us is Cleveland at 2. I don't think there is any way the Chargers go QB at 3.

Who is going to draft Wentz?

I'd bet big money that all the QB's minus Goff will be there for us at 4. And that's when we'll be able to move down with a team that wants Wentz.

That being said... I don't like the way Wentz throws. I don't like his injury history. He's a bottom half of the 1st round reach IMO.

Cowboys beat writer yesterday said Wentz showed some good things, but also had some pretty ugly moments as well.

I've been saying all along I don't see Dallas take a QB in the first 2 rounds but I especially don't see it if Wentz has any question marks or inconsistencies.

I'll say it one more time....with about 90% I can say that I believe the Jones' see the team as being literally 3-4 players away from a title run. Those players might be...

• A good backup QB (I think Manziel or RG3 will fit their definition of that while also letting them evaluate either for the role of future franchise QB)
  • A real presence at interior DL (this could come either via FA or in the 2nd round)
  • Another real presence at LB (again, could possibly be draft or FA)

Areas that really should be addressed if you wana cover your bases but might not be:

• Safety. They have let this position linger for so long and Church and Wilcox are just not championship guys. Both play out of position a lot, and both take horrible angles even with all the experience they are building up. Dallas truly could use a playmaker back there and since they have been pretty disciplined about not overpaying for guys recently, maybe its time they splurge to finally fill this need. Eric Berry really comes to mind here but I don't see KC letting him walk.
  • Offensive playmaker. This could be either RB or WR. They need another threat. Guys like Treadwell and Elliot come to mind but there might be some value there in the 2nd and 3rd rounds also. Hopefully Dunbar comes back at 100%. Cole Beasely while able to make catches at times disappears for large chunks of time too.
corleoneAg99
AG
Goff isn't without warts...his Utah tape is terrible. Still the smart money 3 months out is he and Wentz are top 10 guys. So yes, you have CLE who needs a QB but what is TEN or SD trade out to allow someone to jump in and get the guy they want?

I just think it's imperative Jerry sit tight at 4 and see what happens...again they could easily be a good trade down team if one of those guys does get to 4. They could use the extra draft depth for sure.
Macarthur
Joel Klatt @joelklatt 13m13 minutes ago

For the 2nd day in a row at the #SeniorBowl Carson Wentz is the best player on the field...he seems to be the reason the #Cowboys are here

Where are the reports that Wentz hasn't been all that?

Everything I've seen has been glowing.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.