****Cowboys 2016 Offseason Thread***

205,297 Views | 2475 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jr15aggie
birdman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The past two seasons, Dallas has picked up defensive linemen from practice squads and guys that nobody else wanted. They also signed a dlineman that was working at a carwash. Seriously.

And I've watched opposing quarterbacks sit undisturbed in the pocket play after play.

Just draft a defensive lineman.
BassCowboy33
quote:
The past two seasons, Dallas has picked up defensive linemen from practice squads and guys that nobody else wanted. They also signed a dlineman that was working at a carwash. Seriously.

And I've watched opposing quarterbacks sit undisturbed in the pocket play after play.

Just draft a defensive lineman.

To be fair, Dallas has spent 2's the last couple years on linemen...who are both suspended.
gigem1223
quote:
Found in rounds 2-4... Hell i bet we can find a contributor on the DLine as an UFA. Theyre just lying around everywhere... Theyre like RBs damn near. You draft them in the 6th and they lead the league in sacks.

I personally, am not in love with any DEs enough to take them with our #4 pick. Bosa and Buckner will be solid players in the NFL, but to me, you need to get more than solid out of your #4 pick. I want them to take BPA, whether that be Ramsey, Elliott, Bosa or even Tunsil.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
Found in rounds 2-4... Hell i bet we can find a contributor on the DLine as an UFA. Theyre just lying around everywhere... Theyre like RBs damn near. You draft them in the 6th and they lead the league in sacks.

I personally, am not in love with any DEs enough to take them with our #4 pick. Bosa and Buckner will be solid players in the NFL, but to me, you need to get more than solid out of your #4 pick. I want them to take BPA, whether that be Ramsey, Elliott, Bosa or even Tunsil.

Along that same line, you're looking for a multi contract guy, which should eliminate Elliott.
Reginald Cousins
S
I'm not looking for multi anything. Neither are the Cowboys. If it's not evident to you they're in win now, dunno what else to say.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Ramsey will be the guy.
BassCowboy33
quote:
I'm not looking for multi anything. Neither are the Cowboys. If it's not evident to you they're in win now, dunno what else to say.

Unfortunately, that kind of thinking is why they haven't been winning.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Ramsey will be the guy.

Assuming that San Diego doesn't take him, which, fingers crossed, they won't.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
The Cowboys have had way too much misguided faith in their numbers at DL and especially LB . Last year it was clear from the start they had quantity over quality at LB . They keep thinkin their coaching staff is gona get JAGs to play up but so far that strategy hasn't worked.

We are just 3.5 mths from hearing how David Irving was this epic steal and how hes gona be a stud.
gigem1223
I wouldn't say Lee and McClain are just JAGs when healthy. Unfortunately they can't draft elite talent with every pick in the draft. They did draft a few LBs in the middle rounds the last few years ( Hitchens, Wilson, Nzeocha). They have also use some top picks on pass rushers the last few drafts. So I'm not sure they're happy with just JAGs.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
No Lee and Mclain are not JAGs but they are both highly highly unreliable. The last 2 offseasons there have been tangible upgrades over the bottom level guys available and they've passed em up.

On the DL Marinelli is famous for trying to turn JAGs into good productive players but the last 2 yrs they have struggled in this area when they coulda signed again tangible upgrades in the offseason.

They have too much faith their coaching staff will coach guys up on D.
jr15aggie
AG
Yeah. Hitchens is a good player and word is Wilson should develop nicely as well. But I am hoping we get one of these DT in the 2nd.
TyHolden
AG
is there a site that compiles 20-30 of the most popular drafts and gives a composite grade (like ffl) ? seems like the it's either ramsey or zeke. nobody seems to know what sd will do though. if ramsey is gone, this could get interesting. i kinda like the idea of zeke coming in and taking the pressure off romo. without romo, we're not going anywhere right now.
gigem1223
Sure do wish we could have the #4 pick next season and have a shot at Garrett. Not even sure 4 would be high enough though.
Southlake
Would hate to see the Skins, Eagles or Giants pick Zeke...
gigem1223
Yep. I'd be thrilled if we could get Billings or Nkemdiche in the 2nd. I'd also be happy with trading down and getting Spence or Lawson. I think both will be better than Bosa.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Would hate to see the Skins, Eagles or Giants pick Zeke...

Eagles are at #2. They won't take Elliott.

There is the possibility that he could #10 to NY. Frankly, the Giants have so many issues that it makes Jerry Jones look like Elon Musk. Their mocks are all over the board. I'd be somewhat surprised to see them spend a #1 on a running back knowing what we know about back value and their beyond terrible Oline. It doesn't matter who they have running the ball. Elliott isn't the second coming. He's not even Eddie George.

Id be shocked if Elliott made it to #21. The Jets and Bears are both teams that would take him before that.

gigem1223
Interesting rumor. Ben Rogers just tweeted the Cowboys are aggressively looking at having 2 picks tomorrow night.
PooDoo
AG
http://www.dallascowboys.com/video/2016/04/27/deion-returns-florida-st-jalen-ramsey

http://www.dallascowboys.com/video/2016/04/25/michael-irvin-why-dallas-should-draft-ezekiel-elliott
TyHolden
AG
quote:
Interesting rumor. Ben Rogers just tweeted the Cowboys are aggressively looking at having 2 picks tomorrow night.

Lynch with the second #1 maybe? i'd certainly welcome that.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:

The guy from the Ben & Skin Show? Is he really that trustworthy?
gigem1223
If it's true, I'm thinking Elliot then Spence or one of the DTs. Could even be a Josh Doctson.

Hell idk. Opens the door for a lot of possibilities. I would hope they address the DL with one of the picks.
TyHolden
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

not sure if that was meant for me but i have no idea who these guys are. i don't live in dallas. we have a high draft pick and lots of needs. dropping back a couple spots and getting zeke and a another late first or early second would be ideal if i was jerrah. if lynch drops into the 20s, maybe sneak back in to grab him.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

not sure if that was meant for me but i have no idea who these guys are. i don't live in dallas. we have a high draft pick and lots of needs. dropping back a couple spots and getting zeke and a another late first or early second would be ideal if i was jerrah. if lynch drops into the 20s, maybe sneak back in to grab him.

Yeah, sorry if that came off as crass. Didn't mean it. They're generally considered mid to low level sports informants in the metroplex. That doesn't mean he's not right, but guys like Moore, Gosselin, Broaddus, and Eatman are generally the super solid informants. Sturm, Hitzges, and MacMahon are considered just below. Don't believe anything you see from JJT or Mike Fisher. Fisher is basically the modern Skip Bayless.
COOL LASER FALCON
quote:
Don't believe anything you see from JJT
Unless he's telling you he's going to be bringing some wings home.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
Don't believe anything you see from JJT
Unless he's telling you he's going to be bringing some wings home.

Gets me every time.
jr15aggie
AG
Man I love these rumors... true or not it's a lot of fun thinking about the possibilities.

Because I'm on the Zeke train I can see it going down on draft night:
"The Cowboys have traded the #4 pick to SF"
*What... oh my gosh... we just got an extra 2nd rounder and now we are gonna get Zeke @ 7. All aboard the hype train... whoo whoo!!!!*
"With the 7th pick in the NFL draft..."
*here we go baby, Zeke is still on the board*
"The Dallas Cowboys select..."
*1,800 yards and rookie of the year baby!!!!*
"Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson"
*heart broken as if we just lost the super bowl in overtime*
jr15aggie
AG
But seriously... I'm not sure this does anything for us. You are basically trading down a few spots away from #4, and then you are using those picks plus your 2nd rounder to get back into the late first. So hypothetically you are turning #4 & #34 into say #7 and #27.

Not really sure I see the huge up-side here. You have such an early 2nd rounder that you really don't need back into the 1st round. And more importantly you don't trade away from a guy you love at #4 just so you can trade up a few spots from #34.

I think you potentially lose more moving down from #4 than you do moving up from #34. I think most of us agree that if we trade down a few spots from #4 that's fine, but we want an extra 2nd rounder to take a guy, not to move back into the 1st.
Disco Stu
AG
I had this experience in 2004 when I was hoping they would draft Steven Jackson when he was sitting there for them at 22, instead they traded down and ended up with Julius Jones.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Trading back up for Spence or Alexander after taking Elliot) I'm fine with. Trading up to take a QB especially Cook or Hackenburg Id be pretty frustrated with.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Trading back up for Spence or Alexander after taking Elliot) I'm fine with. Trading up to take a QB especially Cook or Hackenburg Id be pretty frustrated with.
I don't think we have to worry about it. I finally listened to the whole pre-draft press conference today. Jerry mumbled about QB for a little bit and what I took from it was it wouldn't do them any good to get a QB to develop this year. Romo's contract is such that he isn't going anywhere and it wouldn't do them any good to find a guy, let him sit behind Romo, and then go somewhere else (like what happened with Denver).

Sounds like they want to wait another year before seriously looking for Romo's replacement in the draft.

BassCowboy33
Joel Klatt was just on The Ticket:

Most Underrated Player: Connor Cook

- Believes Cook to be the 3rd best QB in the draft. With all his time between the end of the season and the draft, stupid rumors and pointless info circulate. Contrary to rumors, Cook was a team captain. Believes that Paxton Lynch has a higher upside, but Cook already has all the intangibles and experience in a pro system.

Most Overrated Player: Ezekiel Elliott

- Believes that Elliott is an excellent back, but that in a strong running back year, that he'd be late first round or even second round back. Elliott never had to run the ball against loaded fronts and benefitted from the run/ pass option plays. He never had to worry about teams keying in him as he was never the best athlete on his own offense (Barret/Miller).

Contrasted that with Todd Gurley. Doesn't believe that's a fair comparison for Elliott. Gurley had to constantly run against 9-11 man fronts. Elliott ran against 6-7 man fronts and never had to consistently break tackles or make moves inside the box, which is where NFL yards are gained. Klatt believes that a more fair comparison is Melvin Gordon.

In regards to the Cowboys:

- Dallas doesn't need a running back in the 1st round and fans are delusional trying to talk themselves into it.

- Thinks that Jalen Ramsey is the best overall defender in the draft.

- Believes that Tunsil is the best offensive player in the draft.

- Don't be surprised if San Diego drafts Buckner at #3, as he is a better scheme fit for them in a 3-4.

- Believes that good running back depth is available in rounds 2-4, but next year will have an unreal amount of running back talent.
BassCowboy33
quote:
I had this experience in 2004 when I was hoping they would draft Steven Jackson when he was sitting there for them at 22, instead they traded down and ended up with Julius Jones.

It's different drafting at #22 then #4. Fans are basically trying to talk themselves into taking a guy with mid-late first round value at #4. If Dallas had drafted Stephen Jackson at #4, people would've been piiiiiiissed
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
San Diego is supposedly trying like hell to get out of that 3rd pick and as rich as those other 2 trades were ahead of them, they might even go the complete 180 of those and take compensation that seems really under value.

If thats true, then I'm guessing Jerry saying they aren't really gettng any calls about #4 is probably true.

On Elliot, I've said a couple of times in this thread I'd be ok with them taking him at 4 but I will also concede that it is a valid point to say they are set at RB. Especially after signing the butler and especially considering Elliot doesn't play ST.

If they stay at #4 I think there's about a 90% chance the pick is either Ramsey or Bosa.

If they trade down then who knows how the picks in front of them play out.
gigem1223
Matt Moseley is hearing the Cowboys love Rankins and maybe a player they trade back into the first for.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.