****Cowboys 2016 Offseason Thread***

204,861 Views | 2475 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jr15aggie
DannyDuberstein
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Knowing Jerry, it will just mean he'll hope to get him in the 5th vs the 3rd.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Knowing Jerry, it will just mean he'll hope to get him in the 5th vs the 3rd.

[shudders uncontrollably]
PatAg
AG
quote:
Are we talking about guys who sat the bench for a couple seasons or guys thrown to the wolves? The history of the NFL is littered with guys who got thrown out there too early and saw their careers drowned in a sea of sacks and fumbles. The league almost destroyed Troy Aikman, who, let's be honest, wouldn't have made it in today's impatient NFL. Even in that time, Jimmy brought in Steve Walsh to try and take his job. Drew Brees had a QB rating of around 70 the first three years. Elway had more INTs than touchdowns in three of his first six seasons.

As for guys who sit to start their careers? Romo, Manning, Cousins (asterisk at this point), Rogers, Brady, Brees, Warner (asterisk due to career track), and Rivers all sat. This used to be more common, but has been phased out due to the lack of patience by front offices.

As mentioned above, you are seeing less patience in developing quarterbacks in the modern NFL. The kids that come and succeed early usually have very conservative offensive play calling and a stellar ground game, but teams give up on kids far quicker today.
and usually have great defenses
PooDoo
AG
Jimmy brought Walsh in because he believes in competition at every position. Walsh kept a fire under Troy.

Jerry doesn't subscribe to that philosophy unfortunately. I'd hope if we do get a QB that we get another one that is gritty & competitive to push the other kid.
jr15aggie
AG
Washington did this too and their Baylor guy folded!
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
Are we talking about guys who sat the bench for a couple seasons or guys thrown to the wolves? The history of the NFL is littered with guys who got thrown out there too early and saw their careers drowned in a sea of sacks and fumbles. The league almost destroyed Troy Aikman, who, let's be honest, wouldn't have made it in today's impatient NFL. Even in that time, Jimmy brought in Steve Walsh to try and take his job. Drew Brees had a QB rating of around 70 the first three years. Elway had more INTs than touchdowns in three of his first six seasons.

As for guys who sit to start their careers? Romo, Manning, Cousins (asterisk at this point), Rogers, Brady, Brees, Warner (asterisk due to career track), and Rivers all sat. This used to be more common, but has been phased out due to the lack of patience by front offices.

As mentioned above, you are seeing less patience in developing quarterbacks in the modern NFL. The kids that come and succeed early usually have very conservative offensive play calling and a stellar ground game, but teams give up on kids far quicker today.
and usually have great defenses

or at least above average.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Washington did this too and their Baylor guy folded!

Jerry already had his Robert Griffin moment when he traded multiple first rounders for Joey Galloway, not to mention the Roy Williams debacle.
PooDoo
AG
Better the paper tiger folds due to the competition on his rookie contract instead of being babied to find out your franchise QB isn't what you thought he was on his long term big dollar contract.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Better the paper tiger folds due to the competition on his rookie contract instead of being babied to find out your franchise QB isn't what you thought he was on his long term big dollar contract.

At this point, I'm not sure that Osweiler is all that better than Griffin. Houston fans aren't going to be happy when their defense can't cover up Osweiler's mistakes.

Denver handled it correctly. You have a kid who couldn't hold a job over McNoodle Arm. Set a price, stand firm, and move on if he bails. If you're Osweiler, you had to take the payday.

I heard Sturm say the other day that Osweiler has effectively had three good halves his entire career and he isn't even sure if he'd give Osweiler backup money.
PooDoo
AG
Denver did everything right but have another option at QB. If they had another QB there to push Brock for the job they'd probably know more about Brock.

Or they could've taken care of they're other F/A's & saved the tag for Brock.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Denver did everything right but have another option at QB. If they had another QB there to push Brock for the job they'd probably know more about Brock.

Or they could've taken care of they're other F/A's & saved the tag for Brock.
Considering how he lost his starting job, I would say it was Osweiler who wasn't doing enough pushing.

Plus, only a moron would franchise Osweiler over Miller. Osweiler isn't necessary for Denver to have success. In all honesty, the Sanchize might even be an upgrade.

As with all Super Bowl teams in the salary cap era, opponents will pay premium money for championship players who, in all likelihood, aren't as great as advertised. The Cowboys got raided when teams paid Harper, Washington, Brown, Marion, Stepnoski, Jimmy Jones, etc. Part of being successful is that your puzzle piece players will get taken away by bad teams that are willing to overpay. Those teams survive by keeping their core together, drafting well, and adding value in low profile FA signings or smart trades.
BMX Bandit
Weddle to Ravens
BassCowboy33
quote:
Weddle to Ravens

It sounded like he had a rather high asking price. Sturm said that Dallas wanted to wait it out to see if his price came more into what they were looking for. He will be making $9 million next year and I doubt Dallas would go for more than $5 mil for an O-30 safety. Again, seems like Dallas is exercising some discretion.
BassCowboy33
Cowboys resign Hanna.
PooDoo
AG
quote:
Weddle to Ravens
Very un-Ravens after investing a 1st & 3rd at the position the last 3-4 years.
Sea Gull
AG
Mo signs a one year deal with the Cowboys. Looks like the Boys are going to give him one more chance...
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Mo signs a one year deal with the Cowboys. Looks like the Boys are going to give him one more chance...
Good! We know he can at least play OK when healthy and we needed him back. If he turns the corner and becomes at least part of what we thought he was coming out of college we'll have the money to pay him after next year. For the time being it's a guy we can plug in and our coaches know what to expect.

Not getting Weddle sucks, but no thanks at $9 mil. We invested a 1st rounder in a safety last year... if our coaches/scouts did their job that's one safety spot we don't have to worry about. And I don't think any of us are mad if the Cowboys draft Ramsey at #4. That's a much cheaper/younger option than overpaying 31 year old Weddle.

With Jones at full time safety and getting Scandrick back our secondary should, at the very least, be slightly improved next year w/out any big changes. I'm OK with that... but that D-line though!
gigem1223
Restructuring Tyron Smith contract to free up over 7M in cap space. Someone about to be signed?
BassCowboy33
Resigned Lance Dunbar
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Wanted Weddle but that price is too high. Im surprised to see that kinda salary given 2 weeks into FA as i woulda thought hed be in that $5-6 range at this stage.

Hopefully Claiborne goes all out to up his game in another contract year.

This team absolutely has to come outa this offseason with either a top flight CB or S. The guys we have (other than Jones ) are either not great or highly unreliable.
PooDoo
AG
I think Karl Joseph will be available when we pick in the 2nd.
BassCowboy33
quote:
I think Karl Joseph will be available when we pick in the 2nd.

Dallas' 2nd Rd picks revolves heavily around if Henry is still on the board.
PooDoo
AG
He wont be.
GigEmAgs14
AG
Alfred Morris private workout in Dallas?
PooDoo
AG
I hope they never need him to catch a pass or a toss.
BassCowboy33
quote:
He wont be.

Sturm gives it a 50/50. Mocks drafts have him all over the place.
PooDoo
AG
I think he goes around 25. It all depends on how quick Elliott gets picked. I don't see a senario where he'd drop to the Cowboys in the 2nd.
BassCowboy33
quote:
I think he goes around 25. It all depends on how quick Elliott gets picked. I don't see a senario where he'd drop to the Cowboys in the 2nd.

It's certainly possible, but the way people are talking about him, it definitely wouldn't be surprising if he does, especially since most experts give him a 2nd Rd grade. Remember, backs have a tendency to fall and there are teams buying into his workload fallacy. If Dallas signs Alfred Morris, then this is all moot.

It's also peculiar that the only position Dallas hasn't done a lot to even attempt to address is the QB spot, which is the position that doomed their season last year. Still plenty of time to do something, but it's beginning to look like Dallas may live and die with Kellen Moore.
PooDoo
AG
When Henry ran that 4.5 @ 244 it set him apart from the pack of RBs not named Elliott in my mind. Guys with that size & speed don't grow on trees. I think some team is going to look at their board & see 10 DLs 10 LBs 10 DBs left & see rare RB with no character questions, a Heisman, & a butt loadvof future jersey sales & jump on him.

Unfortunately for us, Scott Linehan's boner for Kellen has infected the Cowboys front office.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I'm hoping the Kellen boner is a smokescreen so as not to telegraph that you still want/need a QB high in the draft.

But I have my doubts.
BassCowboy33
quote:
I'm hoping the Kellen boner is a smokescreen so as not to telegraph that you still want/need a QB high in the draft.

But I have my doubts.

The Ticket was doing some lame discussion yesterday, so I flipped over to the fan (if only for a few moments) and Bryan Broaddus was saying that people within the Dallas organization see Romo realistically having two years left. The top brass is apparently extremely hush-hush about what they're going to do in the draft. He also said not to pay attention to the mocks for Dallas as those guys are just picking where the wind blows, but it was interesting for someone so close on the inside not knowing what the team will do for a pick.
Agnzona
I actually think the smart strategy is to go win at all cost now mode. Then suck when Romo is done and get your QB then. The worst think could be using a 1-3 rounder on a QB(that does nothing this year) and bring in a solid backup and still not make the NFC championship game and then when Romo retires be a 500 team, not bad enough to get that franchise QB pick. I would go 100% on Romo and SB or bust. If he gets hurt again, then lose every game and get the better picks.
BassCowboy33
quote:
I actually think the smart strategy is to go win at all cost now mode. Then suck when Romo is done and get your QB then. The worst think could be using a 1-3 rounder on a QB(that does nothing this year) and bring in a solid backup and still not make the NFC championship game and then when Romo retires be a 500 team, not bad enough to get that franchise QB pick. I would go 100% on Romo and SB or bust. If he gets hurt again, then lose every game and get the better picks.

That depends on how willing you are to head down the same path to the hell the Mavericks are taking. Personally, I'd rather compete for championships over the next 15 years, than to pretend like I only have a shot for the next two.
Agnzona
Well then you absolutely have to believe that guy is int he draft and then you probably should trade up and trade Romo.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Well then you absolutely have to believe that guy is int he draft and then you probably should trade up and trade Romo.

Eh, that's probably the sports equivalent of jumping the shark. As has been mentioned on this thread quite a bit, one of the major reasons that Dallas has had such little success over the last 20 years is their insistence of drafting "to win now". You could feasibly put off drafting a QB until next year, but at that point you're hoping that, somehow, a Top Tier quarterback falls somewhere between 15-26 in the draft, which doesn't happen all that often. Now, there's always trade scenarios and such, but history has shown the peril of draft day trades, especially at the upper tier picks, not to mention the Kings ransom Dallas would have to give to get a shot at a quarterback. You don't want to Robert Griffin yourself.

The positive is that Dallas is currently in position to take one of the two best guys in the draft NOW. Make no mistake, this first round pick will be the most important draft pick for the future of this franchise for the next decade+, barring some sort of obscene record next year. The question has always been does the Dallas brass realize that or are they going to try and ride this ship to the bottom of the ocean.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.