Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2017

715,533 Views | 3233 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
trip
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

More Facebook fun. Cypress housing area. That first one looks big. I honestly don't know what they are.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
If it's in Texas and it's climbing, there is a very good chance it is a Rat snake. Cool pics!
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
yea....the copperhead i pulled out of the oak tree at my deer lease begs to differ with your generalization
AZAG08
AG
first one is a rat snake -- can't tell as well on the second. Its not the same snake is it?
trip
AG
AZAG08 said:

first one is a rat snake -- can't tell as well on the second. Its not the same snake is it?
I don't believe so.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
That first one is an anaconda.
You gon' die!!
12f Mane
AG
Both ratsnakes. Copperheads are known to climb seasonally in pursuit of cicadas and will occasionally climb to lure lizards with their tail, but I would agree that 90% of the time if you spot a snake in a tree it's a ratsnake.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
cpsencik04 said:

yea....the copperhead i pulled out of the oak tree at my deer lease begs to differ with your generalization

very good chance was the description used... many snakes can climb but very few are known to be as avid climbers as the rat snake. Right now, I imagine nesting birds are the prey.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I know Im just being difficult, it comes naturally to me. He was an extreme wake up call for me. I was pulling a limb out with a large patch of moss and bam there is another stick stuck in the moss...which started to move
tx4guns
AG
I've posted this pic a couple times. Rat snake in a tree a few years back near Rusk. This snake hung around our cabin for at least 4 years in the summers and then we quit seeing sheds. His last shed was almost 6 feet long.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Awesome picture!
NoahAg
tx4guns said:

I've posted this pic a couple times. Rat snake in a tree a few years back near Rusk. This snake hung around our cabin for at least 4 years in the summers and then we quit seeing sheds. His last shed was almost 6 feet long.

More like 10 feet!
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Looks bigger with all the leaves gone
tx4guns
AG
Here's the shed.

$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Looks bigger with all the leaves gone

That's why I manscape.
InnerCityAg
jbanda said:

SIAP

Simply amazing narration.
Serious Lee
is that constrictor strong enough to suffocate that guy(below the neck)?

could it crush his chest?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Doubtful. I haven't had my coffee yet but a reticulated (it might be Burmese -- still waking up) in the 10-12tt range can certainly kill someone if wrapped around the neck. The body? Not likely at all on an normal size adult.

Zooguy or 12fmane can probably add more. My snakes never got anywhere near that size.
zooguy96
Yeah, snake would have to be 10-12' minimum, and most adults would have to try not to get away from it. Not saying it couldn't kill someone.

I've handled 8-10' constrictors without much issue. The biggest one I've seen was a 24' Burmese python named "Fluffy" (owners had power fed it - it was around 450 lbs, which is waaaaayyyyy overweight for a snake of that size).
Mathguy64
AG
What did it eat?
BCO07
AG
Whatever the hell it wanted
OnlyForNow
AG
So how often will they eat say something the size of a rabbit or chicken?

Or do you go "whole hog" and feed it 10-20 lbs pigs or stray dogs?
zooguy96
It was fed weekly. Usually large rats - pigs and rabbits when larger.
agcrock2005
AG
zooguy96 said:

pigs and rabbits when larger.
Serious Lee
so is anaconda the only snake that is capable of suffocating a human or do burmese pythons get big enough?

sounds like there are some freak occurences

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-39427462
BCO07
AG
I'm pretty sure that reticulated pythons are the largest snakes, so I'd bet they could. I've seen pictures of African rock pythons eating gazelle, so I'd put them on the list too
Daddy-O5
AG
Those were the first two that came to my mind as well (reticulated and African Rock). Retics are generally known as the longest snake in the world, green Anaconda the h heaviest. African Rock Pythons are mean SOBs.
bodaciousbood14
AG
Not to be distasteful, but, Indonesians aren't exactly known for their size. If it was a smaller than average man and a larger than average python, I don't see why it'd be a problem. I'm not an expert though
BCO07
AG

suprafly03
AG
That's awesome.

Is it capable of digesting those cats?
agcrock2005
AG
suprafly03 said:

Is it capable of digesting those cats?
I'm no expert, but yes. Why wouldn't it be?
BCO07
AG
I also remember reading at one point that the everglades Burmese and rock pythons were interbreeding to make a unique American hybrid constrictor. Don't know how true it is, but sounds crazy if true.

I await being made fun of by the real herpers
12f Mane
AG
BCO07 said:

I also remember reading at one point that the everglades Burmese and rock pythons were interbreeding to make a unique American hybrid constrictor. Don't know how true it is, but sounds crazy if true.

I await being made fun of by the real herpers

This is probably from an interview done a while ago. Sounded to me like a big "what if" scenario that will never happen. I take the info that comes out of Florida about pythons 50/50.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/09/090911-pythons-florida-giant-snakes_2.html

$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
The last article I read about the pythons in the Everglades made the situation seem damn near hopeless.

The numbers of native mammals. alligators, and large birds are plummeting. And despite increased efforts to hunt them down, the numbers of pythons being caught is paltry compared to what the estimated population is.

I wonder if it's just too late at this point and the Everglades are forever changed?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I think a major problem there is the state of Florida limits the hunting to areas around Everglades and not in it.

Most of the big snakes are limited to south Florida but recent shows has "climate change" and warmer weather pushing them further north and all the up the east coast into the Carolinas.

It's total BS unless we have a major shift in weather that keeps the lowest temp around 45-50 degrees for a very short period. These snakes don't survive cold weather.

In regards to the cross-breeding, the same show I mentioned above (and probably in the link from 12fmane) was purely hypothetical.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.