Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2017

715,387 Views | 3233 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
Ol Jock 99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Stive said:

Is that water? Looks like they're crawling out of ice.

Good high speed lens with the right light.
SteveBott
AG
I'll second the sigh
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
SteveBott said:

I'll second the sigh

The "sigh" motion has a second... all in favor of "sighing" the salado creek tri- snek post.

Say. Sigh.
mrsbeer05
AG
sigh
SteveBott
AG
Folks it a long slawg.
12f Mane
AG
WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDRENS
NoahAg
Dumb question: If one was to catch a rat snake, how likely is it you would get bitten? And would it hurt?
12f Mane
AG
I'd put ratsnakes at about a 50/50 and anything over 2 feet would make you bleed. Snakes bites are hard to describe because people don't experience anything similar. Low pressure, lots of small teeth, usually recurved so they stick in, can bleed a lot.
Ptery83
We had a "pet" rat snake in high school biology class. Yes it will bite and it didn't feel great. I think kids messing with it made it a bit more temperamental than it might have been otherwise tho.
agent-maroon
AG
Better question would be if the bite would hurt the snake or not. I was told that their teeth get ripped out and they can develop fatal infections because of this.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
12f Mane
AG
I had a Schott's whipsnake tooth embedded in the inside of my nostril for a day once.
ursusguy
AG
I have scars on my hand from the bright idea of intentionally letting a bull snake bite me. Singlehandedly the stupidest thing I ever did to impress a woman (I was 26 at the time). It didn't hurt per say, but I did bleed like a stuck pig and was picking out little fester embedded teeth for about 10 days.....yes, I was completely sober, and she was not remotely impressed. In fact, quite the opposite.
Badace52
AG
Been bit by rat snakes many times. Not that painful. Big ones leave a pretty good mark and can bleed quite a bit as mentioned. Some rat snakes are very aggressive others pretty relaxed I'd say 50/50 is a pretty good estimate on aggressive vs passive as well as get bit/not bit.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DatTallArchitect
AG
ursusguy said:

I have scars on my hand from the bright idea of intentionally letting a bull snake bite me. Singlehandedly the stupidest thing I ever did to impress a woman (I was 26 at the time). It didn't hurt per say, but I did bleed like a stuck pig and was picking out little fester embedded teeth for about 10 days.....yes, I was completely sober, and she was not remotely impressed. In fact, quite the opposite.

Was that before or after "treating" her to a gourmet nutria meal?
ursusguy
AG
Vegetarian....like I said, there was a lot of stupidity on my part
DatTallArchitect
carpe vinum
AG
Since I was ~7 I wasn't good at IDing snakes so my logic was to catch every snake I saw, pry their mouth open to look for fangs, then let the good ones go.
Never bitten by a snake until decades later when I could ID snakes, and let down my guard on the nonvenomous ones.
When I treated every snake like a venomous one, I never was bitten.
Relaxing around nonvenomous is where I get bitten.
That and walking around bare footed at night accounts for two bites.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Someone had a really good story on here (2016 Thread) about the kid who got bit by a coral snake and his response after continuing to catch snakes after recovery.

Our pythons in college could make you bleed pretty bad but an unexpected strike was the worst. It's not so much the physical pain as it is the fact that you're not expecting it and look down and a snake has his jaws on your hand (the early, lazy days of feeding our snakes).
carpe vinum
AG
I think the flinch, pulling away, is where the deeper cuts come in.
If you can keep from flinching, and just pull the teeth straight out they bleed less.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Someone had a really good story on here (2016 Thread) about the kid who got bit by a coral snake and his response after continuing to catch snakes after recovery.

Our pythons in college could make you bleed pretty bad but an unexpected strike was the worst. It's not so much the physical pain as it is the fact that you're not expecting it and look down and a snake has his jaws on your hand (the early, lazy days of feeding our snakes).

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Pretty close! We fed all of our snakes in the bathtub and once we had 3-4 you could lose track quickly where th were... especially when they're trained to know that bathtub = food (attack mode)
LisaMarie
AG
I still have some bite marks from a temperamental water snake from earlier this week. I usually can escape being bitten but I misjudged my grab. Oh well. Musked all over me too, I smelled like **** the rest of the day.
Tursiops93
AG
LisaMarie said:

I still have some bite marks from a temperamental water snake from earlier this week. I usually can escape being bitten but I misjudged my grab. Oh well. Musked all over me too, I smelled like **** the rest of the day.
Suuuure...it was only the rest of THAT day...and it was due to the musk!
DaveHimself
AG
Long time lurker, first time poster...there are so many "snake sighting" posts on my neighborhood message board (Nextdoor) that crack me up because of what I've learned on this thread.

Anyways, testing my knowledge now...I believe this is some sort of water snake b/c of vertical lines at mouth, correct?

Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I see them all the time on my neighborhood as well

And yes you are correct
DaveHimself
AG
Blotched?
AZAG08
AG
yellow bellied I think
Decay
AG
I'd guess diamondback, stripes look very regular.
12f Mane
AG
Blotched/yellowbelly water snake
VaultingChemist
AG
I found this one while mowing a lawn. Almost shredded him. It was only about 12" long. Not sure what it is.

Another view after I put him in a 2.5-gallon plant container

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Speckled Kingsnake... fairly certain. Although his banding pattern is a little confusing.

Location?
VaultingChemist
AG
Stephens County, Texas. Found him about 15 feet from lake shore.
carpe vinum
AG
I think the pattern makes it a Desert Kingsnake.
Bird Poo
AG
That's an awesome snake!
jbanda
AG
At my gym this morning. Katy, TX off of westheimer parkway outside 99.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.