Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2017

715,391 Views | 3233 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
12f Mane
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Young copperheads can also have the yellow tail

Most of those snakes would be a pain in the butt to keep because of dietary preferences. Snakes make lame pets, in my opinion.
12f Mane
AG
Nope. Great to teach them and adults around them that certain snakes are completely harmless.
FrioAg 00
AG
Excellent! They do get a big kick out of it.

Usually the poor snakes are so exhausted from my attempts to grab them that they are pretty docile. Picture Benny Hill trying to carefully grab a Black Mamba.

OnlyForNow
AG
would completely agree.

Gonna be hard to get those little guys to eat.

Better just to catch an anole and feed it small crickets and what not for a few weeks then let it go.

Also, heat rock or heat light.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
On the topic of pet snakes and safety around children: Hognoses are relatively popular as per snakes and are considered non venomous. However they do have a toxic saliva and have been known to cause some pretty scary reactions (think allergic swelling, not necrosis and the like).
They are beautiful snakes but something go consider especially if you have kiddos.
Tursiops93
AG
And that is why I love the OB! You guys rock! Thank you!
BCO07
AG

Almost stepped on this guy today
Badace52
AG
Looks like a checkered garter snake. Where were you?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BCO07
AG
That was on the Tennessee/North Carolina border
12f Mane
AG
Eastern garter snake. They get funky colors at high elevations over there. Cool snakes.
Badace52
AG
Yeah, the location made the ID a lot easier... Also I just blew the image up on my computer and that definitely isn't a checkered garter.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Badace52
AG
To make up for my stupidity here is my favorite garter snake:

San Francisco Garter Snake:

TxLawDawg
AG
He looks like a San Francisco snake.
12f Mane
AG
The over saturation on that pic is almost as impressive as the snake
Sailor
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Snek ith thexy...
ursusguy
Tursiops93
AG
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Badace52 said:

To make up for my stupidity here is my favorite garter snake:

San Francisco Garter Snake:

Guess we finally know who Tom T. Hall was singing about.
Badace52
AG
TxLawDawg said:

He looks like a San Francisco snake.

That's why it's my favorite garter snake...
Fishing Fools
It's 67 degrees outside and I almost step on this little guy taking the girls out to pee. Copperhead?
SteveBott
AG
Rat
blackgoldag11
AG
Fishing Fools said:

It's 67 degrees outside and I almost step on this little guy taking the girls out to pee. Copperhead?

why do you make your daughters pee outside?
SteveBott
AG
Every boy and girl should be taught to pee and poo outside. It comes with being outside.
Decay
AG
Not pretty enough to be a Copperhead
Superdave1993
AG
Saw this on the local news this morning, and it is Jacksonville, AR.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/local/copperhead-snake-bites-man-inside-jacksonville-walmart/427721358
The Fife
And of course it's in a Wal Mart!
Badace52
AG
That's a texas rat snake. It doesn't look much like a copperhead at all. Look back through this thread and you can see many examples of both snakes.
4stringAg
AG
Have only seen one snake this spring and wasn't quick enough to get a pic (it was a banded water snake).

Been out to the local lakes fishing already a few times and have seen a bunch of turtles but not many snakes thus far.
Superdave1993
AG
Badace52 said:

That's a texas rat snake. It doesn't look much like a copperhead at all. Look back through this thread and you can see many examples of both snakes.

It was a copperhead, all over the news here and it had been de-fanged. One of the other local channels mentioned that the fangs had been removed as it was likely a pet. The dummy that was bitten was seen on store cameras bringing it in. Not really sure unless he was trying to make a buck off Walmart.

I have had corn snakes and pythons and can usually ID the major players, but was just passing this along.

The only one I have almost gotten into trouble with was several years ago the deer lease. It looked to be a rat snake, but it was less than a foot long and pissed off. I almost grabbed it, but common sense kicked in and didn't. I kicked a little dirt on it and it never ran, but stood it's ground. I snapped a couple of photos that I cannot find because I was going to put them on here. The closest I can tell it was a massasauga or pygmy rattler with no buttons.

Here is another link from channel 7

http://katv.com/news/local/copperhead-snake-bites-man-at-jacksonville-walmart

Edit: second link has better photo
4stringAg
AG
Superdave1993 said:

Badace52 said:

It was a copperhead, all over the news here and it had been de-fanged. One of the other local channels mentioned that the fangs had been removed as it was likely a pet. The dummy that was bitten was seen on store cameras bringing it in. Not really sure unless he was trying to make a buck off Walmart.

I have had corn snakes and pythons and can usually ID the major players, but was just passing this along.

The only one I have almost gotten into trouble with was several years ago the deer lease. It looked to be a rat snake, but it was less than a foot long and pissed off. I almost grabbed it, but common sense kicked in and didn't. I kicked a little dirt on it and it never ran, but stood it's ground. I snapped a couple of photos that I cannot find because I was going to put them on here. The closest I can tell it was a massasauga or pygmy rattler with no buttons.

Here is another link from channel 7

http://katv.com/news/local/copperhead-snake-bites-man-at-jacksonville-walmart

Edit: second link has better photo
I think he was responding to the pic that the guy posted a few posts up, not the Wal Mart story.
Superdave1993
AG
Thanks, I can get confused every once in a while, plus it would have been an "Arkansas rat snake". I was just wondering how in the heck he could have known what it was from the video of the guy catching it.

Still have not heard what they are going to do with guy that brought it in and got popped.

Edit: Badace52, sorry if I was short.
Fishing Fools
Every time you walk barefoot across the yard at night without your Clint Eastwood Special, every snake looks like a Copperhead...!
Tursiops93
AG
Neighbor took this picture yesterday. This makes me very nervous since we have a lot of kids and pets on our street. This is in Schertz, just North of San Antonio.
SteveBott
AG
I'm very pro snake as most posters on the thread but that snake in the burbs with kids has to go. Not sure anyone but you or a neighbor can do the job.

Use a garden hoe. If your neighbors have one fine otherwise buy one. Perfect for chopping a snake at a safe distance.

Or use rat shot, fire or shotgun. Your choice.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.