Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2017

715,432 Views | 3233 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
1990AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Stepping over a tree stump into this scene would really suck
SabineAg
AG
I don't know diddly about snakes so just wondering what you meant by the CH's true intentions?
TheVarian
AG
I see what ya did there.

Awesome photo!
EFE
AG
This guy forgot to look both ways
1990AG
AG
HOGNOSE!!
12f Mane
AG
bullsnake
1990AG
AG
12f Mane said:

bullsnake
C'mon 12f!! let me have a little fun here!!
OnlyForNow
AG
I was gonna say big ole gopher snake. But bull snake will do!
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Where was this?
EFE
AG
Citrus City, TX
trip98
AG
PalomaPachanga said:

I don't know diddly about snakes so just wondering what you meant by the CH's true intentions?
I am no expert by any means....probably like most of you guys and watched some nature shows, etc. But to my untrained eye it sure looked like he was trying to convince the rattler it was time for some lovin'.

kept flicking his tongue all over the rattler....slithered all over the rattler....and even curled up the lower half of its body while trying to wrap around the lower half of the rattler

if I had to guess he was courting.....or he was trying to establish dominance....but I'd say he wanted a piece
Col. Steve Austin
AG
Rat snake? Scared the bejeezus out of my wife yesterday when she was weeding and had her hand within a few inches of this fella before he poked his head up.

Ag83
AG
HumbleAg said:

Rat snake? Scared the bejeezus out of my wife yesterday when she was weeding and had her hand within a few inches of this fella before he poked his head up.

I'll defer to 12f but that looks like the markings of a cottonmouth to me.
tx4guns
AG
I agree that looks like a juvi CM.
Badace52
AG
Looks like a juvenile cottonmouth to me as well.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
agcrock2005
AG
Well that ought to make your wife feel good about things...might not want to tell her!
AZAG08
AG
Im bad at CM IDs, but rat snake I'm pretty confident. That does not look like a rat snake to me
dave99ag
AG
Better get some moving boxes because you're going to be burning that house down after you tell her.
SabineAg
AG
Yeah this is definitely a "don't tell the wife" situation
Col. Steve Austin
AG
PalomaPachanga said:

Yeah this is definitely a "don't tell the wife" situation
Kinda too late, I didn't tell her CM but one of her co-workers did. Daughter said copperhead and I initially agreed just taking a quick look at the pic she texted me on the phone but then I looked closer and I was confused. We (or more correctly) I have seen plenty of copperheads on our 3 acres in SE Montgomery County in the last 15 years or so.

Wife nearly sh*t her drawers on this encounter yesterday. But that's the case with her around just about any snake. We have some ribbon snakes hanging around (they hide in the walls behind the weep holes) and she knows they're harmless but still scares her to see them. She ran across a 2 footer on the way back in the house after encountering the above snake.
txags92
AG
HumbleAg said:

She ran across a 2 footer on the way back in the house after encountering the above snake.

That was just 12fmane showing up when he heard how many snakes you have on the property.
12f Mane
Col. Steve Austin
AG
txags92 said:

HumbleAg said:

She ran across a 2 footer on the way back in the house after encountering the above snake.

That was just 12fmane showing up when he heard how many snakes you have on the property.
Aggielandma12
AG

Coming up the stairs this guy (Rat?) made me jump. Not gonna lie I climbed the railing instead of taking the stairs. SW Austin.

OnlyForNow
AG
Yup. Little rat snake.
12th Man Ag
AG
They are very "clingy", huh?
carpe vinum
AG
Spider snake
htxag09
AG
I blame this thread but I had a pretty vivid dream last night about a rat snake. So vivid I though it was in bed with us. I woke up the wife calmly asking her to move cause a snake slithered under her pillow and I needed to get it. She freaked out asking what the hell I was talking about and I told her it was ok, it was just a rat snake...
mrsbeer05
AG
htxag09 said:

I blame this thread but I had a pretty vivid dream last night about a rat snake. So vivid I though it was in bed with us. I woke up the wife calmly asking her to move cause a snake slithered under her pillow and I needed to get it. She freaked out asking what the hell I was talking about and I told her it was ok, it was just a rat snake...

Did she beat the crap out of you when you realized it was a dream?
BackwardsInBoots
AG
Checkered garter snake?

12f Mane
AG
Texas brown snake
BackwardsInBoots
AG
He got a first class bucket ride (complete with complimentary spider snack) to a part of the yard where the smelly humans wouldn't be frequently putting their hands.
jgh85Ag
AG
htxag09 said:

I don't think that dream was really about snakes.
dave99ag
AG
jgh85Ag said:

htxag09 said:

I don't think that dream was really about snakes.
Namely the word "vivid" being used several times.
Tailgate88
AG
This fellow came to our party yesterday afternoon. Safely relocated to the burnpile where I am sure some supper awaits.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.