Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2017

715,398 Views | 3233 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
ursusguy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I can dream.
E
AG
What type baby snek is this? Found him while gardening in my backyard in Houston.

why does posting imgur pics to texags suck so much now?

tx4guns
AG
That's an earthworm.
12f Mane
AG
E said:

What type baby snek is this? Found him while gardening in my backyard in Houston.

why does posting imgur pics to texags suck so much now?
Can you repost or link?
E
AG
https://imgur.com/gallery/3Spgj
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Albino black mamba?
12f Mane
AG
I'd call that an unusually light colored rough earth snake
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Not a snake... just a cool shot of a gecko eating a mosquito fly on our window screen tonight.

SteveBott
AG
Love gecko's
E
AG
bh93 said:

Albino black mamba?
good thing I killed it
BuddysBud
AG

This guy was lying in the middle of the road at Anahuac NWR last weekend. It did not want to move even as we were driving around it.
Post removed:
by user
TailG8TR
AG
12f Mane
AG
That's a neat one and maybe a new one for the snake threads- a Mississippi green watersnake. Would you mind sending me a pm with the exact location?
12f Mane
AG
Post removed:
by user
TailG8TR
AG
Thanks for the delete.

12f Mane
AG
Sorry about that. Jumped off TA for a bit and didn't realize it linked to your personal stuff.
12f Mane
AG
They aren't necessarily rare but are spotty in distribution. I have a theory about habitat preference for them which is why I ask for the locale.
Post removed:
by user
12f Mane
TxKng82
AG
Hadn't seen this before, seemed appropriate here

http://www.iamatexan.com/2016/04/24/1garter-garden-snakes-can-be-super-deadly/
anthroAg
AG

Took the family to Repticon in Houston today. Was a little unsure of what we were walking into...but had a good time!

My son is about to turn five and has been begging for a pet snake, so we surprised him with a setup for one yesterday and let him pick out this little guy today. Hoping he continues to love animals this much as he grows older!
MemphisAg1
AG
anthroAg said:

Took the family to Repticon in Houston today. Was a little unsure of what we were walking into...but had a good time!

My son is about to turn five and has been begging for a pet snake, so we surprised him with a setup for one yesterday and let him pick out this little guy today. Hoping he continues to love animals this much as he grows older!
This reminds me when my three boys were younger and they wanted a snake. The impetus came from the middle son, who loved all creatures so much that he spent an afternoon with a dead 4 foot alligator combing over every scale in its body and was completely infatuated with it.

So we ordered a small garter snake over the internet. It arrived a week later in the mail in a small tube. The postman almost fainted and even got angry when my wife greeted him at the door and said "Oh, that tube must be the snake."

We put the snake in a small aquarium and fed him slices of frozen mice every day.

The best part of the story is my incredible wife. She's deathly afraid of snakes and screams at even the mention of them. And she has no lost love for mice either. I had to travel frequently, and she loved her boys so much she was determined to take care of that snake in my absence because it meant so much to the boys. So she very bravely sliced small parts of a frozen mouse every night and hand-fed it to the garter snake to ensure it survived.

Fast forward 15 years, and the middle son who was so infatuated with creatures is pursuing a PhD in cancer biology at MD Anderson in Houston. And there's no doubt his love affair with a snake was an important part of his journey.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Great job Dad! Snakes are very easy to keep as pets and it's very good to start with a pet such as a snakes (which is such low maintenance) for their first.

Knowledge is power... excllent job!
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Curiosity can be sparked by the most trivial things... you sound like you did a great job at parenting!
anthroAg
AG
Wow! What an awesome story. Thanks for sharing!
dave99ag
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Great job Dad! Snakes are very easy to keep as pets and it's very good to start with a pet such as a snakes (which is such low maintenance) for their first.
My first pet wasn't a snake, but not too far off in an alligator lizard. I had a blast as a kid collecting June bugs for it to "hunt" in its terrarium. One year he got loose and that he was gone forever. A month plus later he showed up in my sister's room. The screaming was a good indicator he was found. Probably had him for 4-5 years. He'd even spend time in my mom's kindergarten class getting them acquainted to reptiles.
12f Mane
AG
Things are heating up. Got this prairie kingsnake under a large board last weekend.

Bassmaster
AG
https://imgur.com/gallery/z6vpU

Racer? Yellow bellied water snake? This guy was next to the lake outside our office. People walk around the lake all day and I heard some ruckus in our kitchen over the "moccasin" near the sidewalk. I had to go check it out.
P.H. Dexippus
AG

Helping out BassMaster
Bassmaster
AG
Thanks. I always manage to screw this up.
JD Shellnut
AG
Looks like a rat snake to me, but I'm very new at this so probably wrong.
El Hombre Mas Guapo
AG
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

Helping out BassMaster

Is that a Black Black Momba?
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Looks like an indigo to me

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.