Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2017

715,433 Views | 3233 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
ellebee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looks like your parents need a less camouflaging door mat.
BackwardsInBoots
AG
This guy was posted on a FB page I follow. Thought y'all might enjoy trying to ID him.

Badace52
AG
Location?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
12f Mane
AG
A zoo?
BackwardsInBoots
AG
Japan. Supposedly between someone's window and window screen trying to get away from a typhoon.
Dr. Faustus
AG
My google-fu says Habu?
BackwardsInBoots
AG
Yep. Pic is down in Okinawa. I lived there for 10 years and only ever saw them dead in the road. Can't imagine looking out the window to find a snake looking back at me.
Post removed:
by user
Allen76
AG
I have been working on a project at my barn, and from the spot where I have been working for a few days, I look down and see this skin. I measured it to be almost exactly six feet long. It could be slightly longer, but hard to measure when some pieces of it are not connected. The yellow hub of that tractor (JD-4440) is 40" diameter.

[url=https://imgur.com/c8rpQA2][/url]

Tape measure under it shows to be approximately 2" wide as it lays there flat on the ground.

[url=https://imgur.com/QglDgR6][/url]

And last, the most telling part, the long skinny tail, in two pieces.

[url=https://imgur.com/S7xNKKl][/url]
ellebee
Coachwhip?

I totally just made that up.
Allen76
AG
ellebee said:

Coachwhip?

I totally just made that up.
Pretty sure. I believe that is the only snake we have around here that gets to 6 feet and is long and skinny.... especially slender in the tail area.
OnlyForNow
AG
With a long skinny tail like that and that Long coachwhip or racer. But I'd bet coachwhipz
txags92
AG
Was out volunteering at a Halloween event at Sheldon Lake state park last night and came across a snake skin and a dead snake that had been run over by a truck or ATV. The skin was found around the base of their observation tower on the edge of a large restored prairie next to a pond and aqueduct. It was about 4.5 feet long and remarkably intact. I am guessing the skin was either a water snake of some sort or maybe a coachwhip. The greenish snake was about 18 inches long, and I have no idea what it was.

chiken
AG
How long does it take for the skin to actually shed? An hour? A day?

How often do they shed?
zooguy96
chiken said:

How long does it take for the skin to actually shed? An hour? A day?

How often do they shed?

They shed about 2-3 x per year, depending on species and how much they feed.

Some take hours to shed - some take minutes. Depends on humidity, temperature, etc.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
Badace52
AG
No idea on the skin and that looks like a yellow bellied racer.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
12f Mane
AG
Badace52 said:

No idea on the skin and that looks like a yellow bellied racer.
JSKolache
AG
No more sneks??
12f Mane
AG
Pretty slow this time of year. Couple recent ones:

Bullsnake from around Choke

Speckled kingsnake from Rosenberg
MemphisAg1
AG
12f Mane said:

Pretty slow this time of year. Couple recent ones:

Bullsnake from around Choke

Speckled kingsnake from Rosenberg

I'm not the biggest snake lover in the world, but those are beautiful creatures.
BackwardsInBoots
AG
Japanese rat snake. He was in the school hallway. Vice principal used a stick to herd him back into the woods.

Sean98
AG
Japanese?

First I've ever heard of a Japanese rat snake, but if true I assume it's invasive? If so, kill it.
AgEng06
AG
She's in Japan...
Sean98
AG
Oh, well then SHE is the invasive!
Tursiops93
AG
Well...2nd baby rattler I have found at the house in 3 months! This time it was waiting on the front porch for me when I got home last night. Dropped my keys and when I bent to pick them up, the little ******* struck at me! Sorry no pic. Makes me a bit nervous for my kids and dogs in the yard. There have been at least 8 small rattlers found on my street over the past 3 months.
Touchscreen
AG
No photo, but today as I was pulling up to park at the Victoria post office I noticed one of the employees pull a fairly large snake out of the shrubbery with one of those long-handle trash pickers. He carried it up to the front step where they had a trash can waiting. Naturally everyone coming into and out of the post office was stopping to look and comment. Someone said it was a water moccasin, but it was just a rat snake. After assuring the employee that the snake was harmless and wasn't going to kill anyone, he said "Ok, so now what do I do with it? " One of the women who had come out of the post office said she had a pet snake at home and wasn't afraid of them. "I live out in the country, so give it to me and I'll take it home and release it out there." So she carried away the snake in the plastic trash can liner and got in her truck and left. I assume she did as she said she would, but it definitely wasn't going to live long if left with the post office employees.
Badace52
AG
Ahhh good old Victoria...
BuddysBud
AG
Saw this little guy at Jesse Jones park this morning

Ol Jock 99
AG
Grass snake.
BuddysBud
AG
Texas Brown Snake
ellebee
Cute! I'm not sure I would've touched that one with my mom's voice yelling in my head "IT COULD BE A BABY RATTLER!!!!" All the little ones I've seen are solid.
thirty-two
AG
https://kxan.com/2017/11/04/teenager-bitten-by-possible-coral-snake-on-bike-trail-in-sw-austin/
ellebee
thirty-two said:

https://kxan.com/2017/11/04/teenager-bitten-by-possible-coral-snake-on-bike-trail-in-sw-austin/

Impossible.
Badace52
AG
Not impossible, but he would have had to have picked the snake up for it to bite him. Snakes have been back out in force in Georgetown since it became unseasonably warm a few days ago.

I think they are all looking for one last bonus meal before the big chill... assuming it ever gets cold this year.
ellebee
Oh I know it's not impossible. I was just kidding.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.