Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2017

715,388 Views | 3233 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
Ayto Siks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Found this dead eastern diamond back next to a dirt road over the weekend (Big Cypress National Preserve, FL). First time I've ever seen a rattlesnake. Still looking for a python.

reveille23

Gonzales county last weekend.
Badace52
AG
Beautiful snake!!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
reveille23
Agreed. He was a little guy but that pattern was awesome.
12f Mane
AG
Checkered garter snake and a good find for that area.
ellebee
reveille23 said:

Gonzales county last weekend.

THAT'S THE SNAKE THAT DISAPPEARED FROM MY GARAGE
Badace52
AG

Wife found this little guy on Facebook. Post was asking if it was ok for them to keep it as a pet... I told her to tell them bad idea. They probably couldn't keep one that small fed.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ellebee
What is that?
Your Friend
Ringneck
12f Mane
AG
Location?
Badace52
AG
Dunno, it was on my wife's Doctor mom group that she's part of on Facebook. I asked her where the pic was from but she never responded.
Courtesy Flush
AG
What say you OB?

Badace52
AG
I say somebody cut the head off a texas rat snake for no reason.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
I say people are stupid. Does that help?
Your Friend
Are snakes the only vertebrate in the animal kingdom that people will gladly cut the heads off without a second thought?
mrsbeer05
AG
They are the only ones without legs to claw to prevent you from doing it is my thought
12f Mane
AG
Your Friend said:

Are snakes the only vertebrate in the animal kingdom that people will gladly cut the heads off without a second thought?
Maybe hardheads/gar, but snakes are the clear #1.
Ayto Siks
We get a lot of ring necks on our sidewalk in Fort Myers. Took some pics the other day, but I can't find 'em.

Found these pics of a racer from a couple weeks ago though. This was in Big Cypress National Preserve. This might be the most common snake in the area. Well, the snake that hides the least. Always on the move, always raising their heads to look around.

trip
AG
Ayto Siks said:

We get a lot of ring necks on our sidewalk in Fort Myers. Took some pics the other day, but I can't find 'em.

Found these pics of a racer from a couple weeks ago though. This was in Big Cypress National Preserve. This might be the most common snake in the area. Well, the snake that hides the least. Always on the move, always raising their heads to look around.

racer scare the hell out of me because they move so fast. Much more than a venomous snake.
Badace52
AG
I've only ever seen them run away as fast as they can when they see me. Not very aggressive unless you pin them down.
trip
AG
Badace52 said:

I've only ever seen them run away as fast as they can when they see me. Not very aggressive unless you pin them down.
I know they are not aggressive, they just move so fast is startles you. None of them have ever moved toward me.
Ayto Siks
I agree. I know it's coming, but I'm always impressed with the quickness of a racer.
Serious Lee
saw my first coachwhip on sunday. we mostly just have water snakes and rat snakes here. opened the shop door and it raced towards me from about 15 feet away and took a hard right into the shop and under the lawnmower. SOB had me jumping like a dancing chicken. after a google search, i knew right away what it was from this excerpt on wikipedia.
Quote:

The primary myth concerning coachwhips, that they chase people, likely arises from the snake and the person both being frightened, and both just happening to be going the same way to escape. Coachwhips are fast snakes, often moving faster than a human, and thus give an impression of aggression should they move toward the person.

AZAG08
AG
Uncle Gunnysack said:

saw my first coachwhip on sunday. we mostly just have water snakes and rat snakes here. opened the shop door and it raced towards me from about 15 feet away and took a hard right into the shop and under the lawnmower. SOB had me jumping like a dancing chicken. after a google search, i knew right away what it was from this excerpt on wikipedia.
Quote:

The primary myth concerning coachwhips, that they chase people, likely arises from the snake and the person both being frightened, and both just happening to be going the same way to escape. Coachwhips are fast snakes, often moving faster than a human, and thus give an impression of aggression should they move toward the person.

100% it was after you!
Serious Lee
im just happy he was so eager to get back in that shop. theres rats the size of cats in there.
12f Mane
IBombedTheMoon
AG
ttha_aggie_09
AG
No forced perspective, terrible shot placement, not "that" close to your blind and failure to mention if you have hogs (rattle or no rattle) or not.

/jk
Icecream_Ag
S
Obviously they have hogs cause that poor snake is so scared it ain't rattling
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Side note:

I'd be more concerned with the ladder on that blind than the rattlesnake. Thing is a little sketchy.
Badace52
AG
Better than the ladders up most deer blinds I've crawled into...
The Fife
Photobucket
IBombedTheMoon
AG
It's a bit of a story, but that broken step is the reason I saw that *******. It was God watching out for me and my brother
ttha_aggie_09
AG
In for the story!
12f Mane
AG
IBombedTheMoon said:

It's a bit of a story, but that broken step is the reason I saw that *******. It was God watching out for me and my brother
Lol, I'm sure God is super glad you killed another one of his creations.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.